The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Miller is a core player

Rate this topic

cdgraham

54 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Losing Miller is not some vacuous, inescapable hole we can't escape from. Losing him for no return though....?

This! That is why we try to negotiate a new deal with JT this off season and if he wants too much term or $$$ then we keep him leading up to the TDL but we TRADE him for the best possible return to keep re stocking this team with picks that turn into prospects that turn into NHL contributing Canuck players on ELC and Bridge contracts helping us continue to contend and battle for Stanley Cups

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

To all us Islanders! 

cheers-frank-sinatra.gif

This exactly. There's no reason this team can't be just as good/potentially better with the return from Miller, as soon as next year.

Even if we continue on a good run, we're likely not picking much later than 15+/-. We should get a good prospect (or if earlier, an even better one). We'll have the return from Miller as well (RHD?). We can target a guy like Nick Paul as UFA to 3C , to kill penalties, win faceoffs and bring some of the grit we'd be losing back.

Losing Miller is not some vacuous, inescapable hole we can't escape from. Losing him for no return though....?

Ayyy, love my island and props to my chill island human beans. 

But yeah, I don't see why trading Miller would set us back the way some folks seem to think it would. Demko is the lynchpin that this team lives and dies by, not Miller. If one truly beliefs this team is lost without Miller it also says a lot about what they think about the rest of the team. If the team is good with Miller, but a lost cause without it are they really a good team? There's absolutely no reason this group couldn't compete without him, or any reason to belief any trade involving him would happen in a vacuum. 

Sometimes teams do better without top players. Look at the Islanders after Tavares left, a lesser example would be San Jose without Kane. They were competitive last game, and they're in the mix as much as we are. There are other examples I'm sure but I'm lazy.

Yeah, I could see us picking maybe 7 at the highest and that's if we take steps back. Which could happen, we aren't going to win every game despite this run. Getting a top prospect and another 1st would go a long way, one or the other could even be flipped for a roster player. We'd get a return, plus cap space which is an asset in itself considering how capped out we currently are. 

Moving Miller by no means dooms this team's next few seasons, to state such a thing is hyperbole. 

Nick Paul, despite his boy band name, would be interesting. He's looked good for Ottawa in the past.

20 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

This!!! That is why it is so IMPORTANT to continually draft well, so you HOPEFULLY hit on some of your picks so you can continue to insert young ELC to your team to fill out the roster and potential be an impact at a LOW cap hit...over exceeding PTS wise by making LESS $$

Yeaaah, it'll be very important going forward considering most of our top young talent has now graduated to the bigs. The only blue chip guy we have right now is Klimovich and he's a ways off. Gotta start building up that next wave, ELC's are so important in today's game if you want to compete and manage your roster. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

23 hours ago, cdgraham said:

In celebration of a win I just want to say something I've been thinking for a while. Miller is a core forward for us and I am seriously doubting if I would prioritize any other forward more so then him, I think he is at very least equal to any of them. Definitely part of the core and identity of this team. I think he's a number one center, is great on faceoffs, pk, PP (Has points on 15 of our 20 pp goals the sharks announcer said) 

I don't care that he's a few years older then some of the other core guys, he doesn't look like he's slowing down anytime soon. I'd honestly hand a blank cheque to him and sign him for 7 years provided the annual average value doesn't exceed 9.5 million. I wouldnt blink twice about giving him an 8 million 5-7 year contract. (Obviously would prefer less year and money, but I would still do it if it's what it took) 

He deserves to be our highest paid player, and could set the internal cap limit too. Leading scorer since he got here its not really close. Again this year. 

I think I'd rather him then the current iteration of John Tavares, and before people say 9.5 is way to high that JT is paid 11 million. 

Jones 9.5, kaprisov got 9.5, point got that. There are actually lots of players that got that who aren't even remotely as good (skinner) 

Point is 8 million would actually be a steal at this point. You can also tell its true by the rest of the league salivating at the thought of taking him off our hands. 

13th in league scoring now, 1 point behind John Tavares coincidentally as I compared the two. 

Don't trade Miller, and resign him, summary of post. 

I sort of agree, however I think Demko is our main guy but JT is right up there...

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

But yeah, I don't see why trading Miller would set us back the way some folks seem to think it would. Demko is the lynchpin that this team lives and dies by, not Miller. If one truly beliefs this team is lost without Miller it also says a lot about what they think about the rest of the team. If the team is good with Miller, but a lost cause without it are they really a good team? There's absolutely no reason this group couldn't compete without him, or any reason to belief any trade involving him would happen in a vacuum. 

Sometimes teams do better without top players. Look at the Islanders after Tavares left, a lesser example would be San Jose without Kane. They were competitive last game, and they're in the mix as much as we are. There are other examples I'm sure but I'm lazy.

Yeah, I could see us picking maybe 7 at the highest and that's if we take steps back. Which could happen, we aren't going to win every game despite this run. Getting a top prospect and another 1st would go a long way, one or the other could even be flipped for a roster player. We'd get a return, plus cap space which is an asset in itself considering how capped out we currently are. 

Moving Miller by no means dooms this team's next few seasons, to state such a thing is hyperbole. 

Nick Paul, despite his boy band name, would be interesting. He's looked good for Ottawa in the past.

Yeaaah, it'll be very important going forward considering most of our top young talent has now graduated to the bigs. The only blue chip guy we have right now is Klimovich and he's a ways off. Gotta start building up that next wave, ELC's are so important in today's game if you want to compete and manage your roster. 

Rathbone and Woo as well. 

12 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Tavares' departure coincided with NYI bringing in Trotz as coach.  They completely changed playing styles going from an aggressive offensive team with poor defensive play to a more responsible structure under Trotz. Their progress came in part from being more reliable in their own zone - it gave bigger roles to bottom of the lineup players whose focus was on preventing goals vs trying to score to make up for their defensive deficiencies previously.  

Adding Trotz and changing systems has compensated for the Tavares departure.  Can't know how Trotz with Tavares would have turned out but would still guess that they would have been better with him.  Vancouver wouldn't be changing systems.   

Kane is a winger and wasn't driving a line by himself - he was playing primarily with Couture and otherwise Hertl as his Cs.  Miller is the driver of his line - it's not Pearson or Boeser.  

3 lines a threat to score vs 2 lines.  It would shift responsibilities to other lines while also not creating the same matchup issues for opponents.  By spending less time on the attack it also puts more focus back on defence as opponents are no longer forced to defend as much.  Rutherford had the HBK line in Pittsburgh and was never quite able to recreate their impact once players left.

Boudreau says he is excited to have Miller, Pettersson, Horvat as top-3 Cs where he sees it as an advantage over other teams.

Miller is not that easily replaceable, as C and line driver, and the impact could go beyond just his own contribution, but affect the ones of the other lines and the defence as well.  It changes the structure of the lines.    

Don't see them rushing in a decision about Miller if they think they can get him on a reasonable contract.  They don't have any prospects pushing for a spot to replace what Miller brings.  Hughes will have only 5 years left after this season and Demko 4.  It's not like their window is way down the road.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

On 12/16/2021 at 10:09 PM, cdgraham said:

In celebration of a win I just want to say something I've been thinking for a while. Miller is a core forward for us and I am seriously doubting if I would prioritize any other forward more so then him, I think he is at very least equal to any of them. Definitely part of the core and identity of this team. I think he's a number one center, is great on faceoffs, pk, PP (Has points on 15 of our 20 pp goals the sharks announcer said) 

I don't care that he's a few years older then some of the other core guys, he doesn't look like he's slowing down anytime soon. I'd honestly hand a blank cheque to him and sign him for 7 years provided the annual average value doesn't exceed 9.5 million. I wouldnt blink twice about giving him an 8 million 5-7 year contract. (Obviously would prefer less year and money, but I would still do it if it's what it took) 

He deserves to be our highest paid player, and could set the internal cap limit too. Leading scorer since he got here its not really close. Again this year. 

I think I'd rather him then the current iteration of John Tavares, and before people say 9.5 is way to high that JT is paid 11 million. 

Jones 9.5, kaprisov got 9.5, point got that. There are actually lots of players that got that who aren't even remotely as good (skinner) 

Point is 8 million would actually be a steal at this point. You can also tell its true by the rest of the league salivating at the thought of taking him off our hands. 

13th in league scoring now, 1 point behind John Tavares coincidentally as I compared the two. 

I think JR said the right thing on Kyper and Bourne yesterday.

He's giving this team a chance to turn the season around and it's really paying off.

It's amazing to me that the vibe around the Vancouver Canucks has completely reversed in two weeks, going from doom and gloom to sunshine and roses.

It's been a great ride so far and I definitely hope it continues.

As for Miller staying a Canuck long-term, it really is up to JTM.

Right now he's untouchable but, JR needs to get answers as to JT's plans for his future and what he wants early.

As much as we like him here, the fact is he may not want to return and opt for a team in a better position to win.

Money is also an issue in Vancity. Miller will, more likely then not, be looking for max dollars and term on his next contract. 

Will it be too rich for the Canucks?

JR also said he'd like to get back to the youth movement and seemed to want to transition back in that direction.

What does this mean for desirable vets like Miller and possibly even Horvat?

My point is that the future of Miller in Vancouver is just that.

Future.

Right now I am enjoying a win streak and looking forward to a game against the Maple Laughs, which is something I couldn't sat a couple weeks ago.

Go Canucks!!!!!

2 hours ago, mll said:

Tavares' departure coincided with NYI bringing in Trotz as coach.  They completely changed playing styles going from an aggressive offensive team with poor defensive play to a more responsible structure under Trotz. Their progress came in part from being more reliable in their own zone - it gave bigger roles to bottom of the lineup players whose focus was on preventing goals vs trying to score to make up for their defensive deficiencies previously.  

Adding Trotz and changing systems has compensated for the Tavares departure.  Can't know how Trotz with Tavares would have turned out but would still guess that they would have been better with him.  Vancouver wouldn't be changing systems.   

Kane is a winger and wasn't driving a line by himself - he was playing primarily with Couture and otherwise Hertl as his Cs.  Miller is the driver of his line - it's not Pearson or Boeser.  

3 lines a threat to score vs 2 lines.  It would shift responsibilities to other lines while also not creating the same matchup issues for opponents.  By spending less time on the attack it also puts more focus back on defence as opponents are no longer forced to defend as much.  Rutherford had the HBK line in Pittsburgh and was never quite able to recreate their impact once players left.

Boudreau says he is excited to have Miller, Pettersson, Horvat as top-3 Cs where he sees it as an advantage over other teams.

Miller is not that easily replaceable, as C and line driver, and the impact could go beyond just his own contribution, but affect the ones of the other lines and the defence as well.  It changes the structure of the lines.    

Don't see them rushing in a decision about Miller if they think they can get him on a reasonable contract.  They don't have any prospects pushing for a spot to replace what Miller brings.  Hughes will have only 5 years left after this season and Demko 4.  It's not like their window is way down the road.

You're right about NYI and Trotz, and even San Jose in Kane. But like NYI and Trotz, a Miller trade likely doesn't take place in a vacuum, there's no reason we couldn't push on as a talented club without him. 

And yes, moving Miller would necessitate change regarding lines and perhaps even how some things are structured. But the reality is that sooner than later we're going to have to re-sign or trade Boeser and that's only the beginning of the upcoming cap shenanigans. Sooner or later something is going to give capwise, keeping the band of Pettersson, Miller, Boeser, and Horvat together ain't likely. I've touched on the cap implications of dumping too much money into your top six repeatedly already so I'm not going to go over it again.

Trotz liking Miller may impact things to some degree, but if Rutherford's shown anything in the past it's a willingness to be ruthless with assets, and for someone in management that's a good quality. Depends on whether him and the rest of management view Miller as a core piece going forward, depends on what they see their window being or what they want it to be, depends on what kind of deal Miller will be looking and whether he has interest in staying at all. Depends on a lot of things.

No, Miller isn't easily replaceable, nobody's arguing that. But this team doesn't have to live or die on the back of a single forward, he's not a Crosby tier talent. There are potential cons to moving Miller in the short term, but there are also pros. It's a gamble either way, Miller at almost 29 likely ain't the same caliber player at 33. And he will command a large raise and term as an upcoming UFA. The cap structure of the rest of the team has to be considered. But there's no reason we couldn't compete with him, if folks thing we're lost without him that's a rather damning assessment of where the rest of the team is at, and there's no reason a Miller move has to take place in a vacuum. 

Again, depends on what they view their window being and who they want to build around. Miller's older than the rest of the core, I advocate for building around that younger core. I don't view Miller as some sort of lynchpin this team collapses without, moving him could help build the future, and even the present as there's no reason we couldn't flip assets garnered in return for roster players. It also gives a capped out team some cap flexibility to fill other holes. Use some of the cap space to beef up our D, find a legit 3c, we could very well be a more well rounded team that can compete. We live and die on the back of Demko, not Miller. There's absolutely we couldn't compete for the playoffs next season if he were moved.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, mll said:

Holy crap, I can't believe I agree with you mll lol

On 12/16/2021 at 10:09 PM, cdgraham said:

I agree. He's an underrated player in the league

On 12/17/2021 at 8:27 PM, Coconuts said:

I would have agreed with you before Boudreau. But now the lines are set up so nicely.

Boeser is revived, and even Pearson is playing well.

That line brings much needed heaviness to the team. 

Miller is playing like Getzlaf light. Obviously not as big as Getzlaf and not as good a playmaker either but he is a good playmaker on his own right and skates well, shoots well, hits, does everything well right now.

This is a deep team up front that can win games in different ways.

I'd only trade Miller if he doesn't want to re-sign or if we fall back on earth and playoffs seem unlikely.

On 12/16/2021 at 10:25 PM, Canuck Surfer said:

I am the party pooper?  I would not have spent the draft capital we did to get Miller.  Nor OEL / Garland.

Nor would I be upset if one or more were moved on.  Build for when Petey Hughes & Boeser are in their prime.  Demko is already there, but still should be at a peak.

That said I cheer for them while they are here.

Then thank goodness you're not in charge. What we gave up for Miller, OEL and Garland is worth much more simply because they are a major part of creating a winning environment. 

Edit: Forgot to mention, inspite of not being in the age range of that core group. 

Edited by BarnBurner

4 hours ago, khay said:

I would have agreed with you before Boudreau. But now the lines are set up so nicely.

Boeser is revived, and even Pearson is playing well.

That line brings much needed heaviness to the team. 

Miller is playing like Getzlaf light. Obviously not as big as Getzlaf and not as good a playmaker either but he is a good playmaker on his own right and skates well, shoots well, hits, does everything well right now.

This is a deep team up front that can win games in different ways.

I'd only trade Miller if he doesn't want to re-sign or if we fall back on earth and playoffs seem unlikely.

It doesn't matter if this team is deep up front if it can't even make the playoffs. Six wins in a row or not, we're still far from a sure thing. We're still a long shot, we still have to run the table in order to even get a sniff of playoffs. And if we're not making the playoffs that's another year spent chasing hope and finding ourselves near the bottom or in no man's land. 

Boudreau or not, the odds are against us. This team has yet to face adversity under Boudreau, it will. Then we'll have a better idea of what we've really got. It's easy to wave pompoms and bark "Bruce there it is" when things are going well. Weren't we also "a team like that"? There's nothing wrong with enjoying it, I'm glad we're playing better, but I'm not going to pretend we're anything more than a fringe playoff team right now. Is this team capable of more? It doesn't matter if it is if it can't make the playoffs. Each season wasted is another year older for every player, a year closer to decline. And for a team with as shallow a prospect pool as we've currently got, that's not a very promising thing. And yes, our pool is shallow, the only blue chip guy we've got is Klimovich and he's likely to be an NHL'er later than sooner if he ever is one. Most of our best prospects have graduated, and given how Benning's traded picks it's put us a bit behind on that front. I didn't even mind the trades involving 1st rounders, but there's no denying their impact on the prospect pool. 

Miller's fantastic right now, right now being the key words. He'll be 29 in February, how long can he keep this up? Would you bet on a 30 year old UFA continuing to produce like a top line player into his 30's on what'll most of what'll likely be an expensive and lengthy contract? I sure as hell wouldn't. Do players magically fall off at 30? Of course not, but it's silly to pretend that that's not when most players begin to taper off. 

If we look to be out of it coming up on the deadline he should be on the table, if we're in the mix they might be allowed their shot. But with Boeser's RFA extension pending decisions will need to be made sooner than later. A team can only allocate so much to it's top six before it begins to negatively impact the rest of the roster. 

Edited by Coconuts

On 12/17/2021 at 11:21 PM, -DLC- said:

If he goes, I go.

(don't get your hopes up)

Damn ... your such an awesome fan.   I love Miller too.   It's being awhile since i've watched a Canuck skate through 3 guys (well there was four but one was doing the smart thing just in case!) right to the net and scored a goal - a very long time since i got to see that live, maybe Bure?   He's a great player.    Nothing would make me happier then him wanting to stay, and signing at a cap 7 or below.   Maybe we could do that if we offered a full term contract, but that absolutely will make it a long term anchor for us, and eventually maybe  a future buy-out candidate.    He's worth so much more the way he's played compared to his peer group.  That's right now and the last couple years too.  That's the pickle.   We aren't in our contending window yet.    Maybe we need a Miller beer can upvote thingy - mods get on it!  Just to appreciate him while he's still under contract with us.   And on that - i'd also like and angry elf one too - for Garland.   30-38 is what we'd be looking at.   Not many forwards can keep it up at his level much past 33.   The Sedins for example and they are HHOFers.   The Sedins also peaked at 30.   So absolutely he's got 5 good years left in him.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Coconuts said:

It doesn't matter if this team is deep up front if it can't even make the playoffs. Six wins in a row or not, we're still far from a sure thing. We're still a long shot, we still have to run the table in order to even get a sniff of playoffs. And if we're not making the playoffs that's another year spent chasing hope and finding ourselves near the bottom or in no man's land. 

Boudreau or not, the odds are against us. This team has yet to face adversity under Boudreau, it will. Then we'll have a better idea of what we've really got. It's easy to wave pompoms and bark "Bruce there it is" when things are going well. Weren't we also "a team like that"? There's nothing wrong with enjoying it, I'm glad we're playing better, but I'm not going to pretend we're anything more than a fringe playoff team right now. Is this team capable of more? It doesn't matter if it is if it can't make the playoffs. Each season wasted is another year older for every player, a year closer to decline. And for a team with as shallow a prospect pool as we've currently got, that's not a very promising thing. And yes, our pool is shallow, the only blue chip guy we've got is Klimovich and he's likely to be an NHL'er later than sooner if he ever is one. Most of our best prospects have graduated, and given how Benning's traded picks it's put us a bit behind on that front. I didn't even mind the trades involving 1st rounders, but there's no denying their impact on the prospect pool. 

Miller's fantastic right now, right now being the key words. He'll be 29 in February, how long can he keep this up? Would you bet on a 30 year old UFA continuing to produce like a top line player into his 30's on what'll most of what'll likely be an expensive and lengthy contract? I sure as hell wouldn't. Do players magically fall off at 30? Of course not, but it's silly to pretend that that's not when most players begin to taper off. 

If we look to be out of it coming up on the deadline he should be on the table, if we're in the mix they might be allowed their shot. But with Boeser's RFA extension pending decisions will need to be made sooner than later. A team can only allocate so much to it's top six before it begins to negatively impact the rest of the roster. 

Let's not forget the first 25 games of garbage under Green with 8-15-2 record. There were few games where we dominated and should have won if not for Green's retched system, if we went even 11-12-1 in the first 25 games, we would be 17-12-1 right now and in the playoffs.

The way the team is playing now is more reflective of what they are. Sure, we will eventually lose games and our weaknesses will be exposed but right now is not the time to consider trading Miller when we finally have the lines set up so well.

I'm not against trading Miller but it will have to wait until the TDL (if we are clearly out by then) or the offseason.

The players are playing hard and we should reward them by giving them a longer leash.

57 minutes ago, khay said:

Let's not forget the first 25 games of garbage under Green with 8-15-2 record. There were few games where we dominated and should have won if not for Green's retched system, if we went even 11-12-1 in the first 25 games, we would be 17-12-1 right now and in the playoffs.

The way the team is playing now is more reflective of what they are. Sure, we will eventually lose games and our weaknesses will be exposed but right now is not the time to consider trading Miller when we finally have the lines set up so well.

I'm not against trading Miller but it will have to wait until the TDL (if we are clearly out by then) or the offseason.

The players are playing hard and we should reward them by giving them a longer leash.

For the record, I don't think anyone is suggesting he be traded NOW

This is all dependent on where we are, heading towards the TDL. If we're out of it, his trade value will likely never be higher than at that point.

After that, it's after July 1 and we see what his intentions are. Is he willing to sign a team friendly deal to stay (I'm guessing not)? 

• Cheers 2