The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Paul Maurice resigns as Jets head coach

Rate this topic

aGENT

1 hour ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I think he will find another NHL job sooner than later and more than likely have success. I know in this market he got stale and things went dark with him here, but around the league you still hear NHL people talk highly of him and his ability. Wish him the best.

His record indicates that he is very good at getting effort by-in from a team lacking skill, as evidenced by his career so far. And helpings new talent adjust to the NHL? Three consecutive Calder winners/runner-ups seems to indicate he is good at that too. But recent events suggest he may not be great at getting a team with skill to the next level.

He’ll likely get another shot with a rebuilding team. How he does when that team starts accumulating talent will prove if his supposed deficiencies are true.

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Now THAT is a leader, and a person who believes in accountability.

He has been a middle of the pack coach with his roster with one WCF appearance in his tenure and just unable to get over the hump.  I hope he winds up somewhere else

Almost makes me wonder if someone with those kind of qualities who also knows the game so well would be interested in a vacant GM position 

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Green couldn’t coach his way to a cup of coffee…

I think Green has been villainized by our fans. All coaches have an expiry date with teams, as Maurice just showed with Winnipeg.

Same as Benning was blamed for the moves he made on this team. All GM's make moves or trades that they would like to undo, no matter who it is, you can't find an experienced GM who hasn't got a few bad contracts or trades hiding in his closet.

Everyone questioned if this was really a playoff team, like Benning claimed. Right now, with a new voice, they look like a playoff team to me!

I never thought that much of Maurice as a coach.  His record is not overwhelming.  Maybe he never had much to work with, although it was only a year and a half after he left Carolina the first time that the Canes won the Cup.

Classy move stepping down like that, though.

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think Green has been villainized by our fans. All coaches have an expiry date with teams, as Maurice just showed with Winnipeg.

Same as Benning was blamed for the moves he made on this team. All GM's make moves or trades that they would like to undo, no matter who it is, you can't find an experienced GM who hasn't got a few bad contracts or trades hiding in his closet.

Everyone questioned if this was really a playoff team, like Benning claimed. Right now, with a new voice, they look like a playoff team to me!

Villainized? Or we're seeing night and day results from the exact same roster.

This is more than the message being stale. BB did changes, and they are showing dividends. Instead of the defence looking silly, and giving the other team

breakaways. Myers, OEL, and Hughes look fantastic. Even the ones we thought were questionable, under a better system are turning into competent players. 

Brock, Petey, Miller, Hoglander, Horvat are out of slumps and getting into scoring streaks. Games where we're down by 3 goals, this team can storm back and win. 

Once again. From the SAME roster! 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

20 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I think he will find another NHL job sooner than later and more than likely have success. I know in this market he got stale and things went dark with him here, but around the league you still hear NHL people talk highly of him and his ability. Wish him the best.

I only hear some media folk talk positively about Green based on how in their opinion the team continued to play hard for him.

This is completely unsubsttiated rubbish when one considers how much better the team is playing now.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

20 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Great goaltending has made many a coach look like they know what they are doing ( don't need to look further then Vancouver right now haha ). I don't believe there is no evidence of him being a poor coach, but these are our opinions right. I also don't believe NHL executives or people in the know ( not cdc'ers ) put there energy into pumping someone's tires to slight other executives or owners in the League.

I just tend to think when multiple NHL people feel he is a good coach and has a future in the league that maybe there is something to it. His first NHL stint definitely gave him a lot of learning experience.

Come.on dude.

Boudreau said it himself that great goaltending makes a great coach. This is contradictory because Green didn't lose because of goaltending this year. Was he really that great?

Also, saying that there is no evidence of him being a poor coach is just sad. Those five seasons of him as a coach are completely excused by you, opinion or not. You can see just how Green had poorly utilized what he had because of how great BB is doing with the same roster.

When multiple people are parroting the same thing, you should not take them at face value. You can see for yourself that Green had had five seasons, none of which were winning records. Now, if you were to use the excuse that Green has had poor rosters, Green has had many variations of rosters to try out his systems, including this year's.

Given how BB is maximizing this year's roster, and Green has been using the same tactics as previous years, it is not a debate that Green is a poor coach for now because he did not maximize or adapt to his roster.

Saying that there is no evidence of him as a bad coach over a span of five seasons is just being incredibly stubborn. Come on.

Much respect to Maurice. He's a good coach, but knew when his voice grew stale. Would love if the Canucks had space for him as an assistant somehow, but maybe he wouldn't consider it - he hasn't been an assistant since '95 - saying that Rutherford and him have a long history from Hartford-Carolina days.

Also wouldn't surprise me if Winnipeg gives Alain Vigneault some consideration. Revived his coaching career with a solid season in Manitoba as the Moose head coach and definitely a different type of coach that Maurice.

4 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Villainized? Or we're seeing night and day results from the exact same roster.

This is more than the message being stale. BB did changes, and they are showing dividends. Instead of the defence looking silly, and giving the other team

breakaways. Myers, OEL, and Hughes look fantastic. Even the ones we thought were questionable, under a better system are turning into competent players. 

Brock, Petey, Miller, Hoglander, Horvat are out of slumps and getting into scoring streaks. Games where we're down by 3 goals, this team can storm back and win. 

Once again. From the SAME roster! 

Yes, just because he was passed his Best Before date with this team, doesn't mean that he can't coach.

All coaches need to be changed out from time to time. Doesn't mean they won't have success somewhere else.

Boudreau, he's been through the cycle of being released by teams. 

On 12/17/2021 at 10:58 AM, -AJ- said:

I'd tend to think he can be a good coach still. He was great for Vancouver in 2019-20, but he wore out on our team. As a fresh face on a new team, I wouldn't be surprised to see him have success.

If winning 50% of your games and squeeking into a playoff spot every few years is the definition of success then I agree. 

Playing a passive collapse to the net and block shots game doesn’t normally translate into deep playoff runs. Teams that take way the opponents time and space all over the ice seem to do better. Unless Green can adapt, his chances of real success are slim to none.

Just my 2 cents.

20 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

If winning 50% of your games and squeeking into a playoff spot every few years is the definition of success then I agree. 

Playing a passive collapse to the net and block shots game doesn’t normally translate into deep playoff runs. Teams that take way the opponents time and space all over the ice seem to do better. Unless Green can adapt, his chances of real success are slim to none.

Just my 2 cents.

I just question those that choose not to give any credit to a coach when the team exceeds playoff expectations. When is it "the goalie was the reason" and when is it "the coaching was the reason?" It just seems to me that fans choose one or the other, whichever bets fits their narrative. We attribute success to the people we like and attribute failure to those who we don't, it seems.

I don't think anyone expected our team to get one game away from the conference finals in 2020 and usually, teams exceeding expectations are attributed to coaching, but Green doesn't get any credit for that 2020 run. All the credit goes to goaltender, and in one sense, rightly so, as Marky and Demko were amazing, but no one stops to think about if Green and other coaches had any effect on our goaltending.

Don't get me wrong, Green has a lot to learn--by NHL coaching standards, he's still new at the job, but I think I saw enough to make me think that if he learns more, especially from what he did wrong in the end of his tenure here, he can become a solid NHL coach. That said, I'd expect him to be an assistant coach in the NHL before getting another crack at a head coach job.

• Upvote 1