The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver woman brutally assaulted in Mexico recovering from surgery at home

Rubik

https://globalnews.ca/news/8454592/mexico-assault-surgery-update-jamie-coutts/

A Vancouver woman who was brutally assaulted in Mexico is back in B.C., and has undergone surgery for her injuries.

70c8fc80

Jamie Coutts was vacationing in Playa del Carmen earlier this month, when she says she was assaulted outside a bar while trying to get a man to leave her friend alone.

Peter Nowaczek, a professional boxer from Toronto, was charged this week with attempted murder, according to the Quintana Roo Attorney General’s Office.

Coutts told Global News Wednesday she’d undergone surgery Monday, was “doing OK,” and was surviving with the help of “lots of painkillers and ice.”

Click to play video: 'Vancouver woman severely beaten in Mexico outside bar'

Vancouver woman severely beaten in Mexico outside bar – Dec 7, 2021

“They went in through my mouth and they put metal plates in there, and they went into two spots in my cheek and put in metal plates to hold my bones together there, and then they went in along my nose and put a metal plate into my nose as well,” she said.

She said she will still require cosmetic surgery and dental work, and expects to be left with scars when all is said and done — a process she expects to take months.

Getting home from Mexico proved to be a challenge of its own.

Coutts was given a “fit to fly” letter clearing her for air travel, but she said once she boarded her flight the airline became concerned she might not be safe to transport and nearly made her deboard before takeoff.

“It worked out, they kept me on the plane and they did everything they could to get me home, and if it weren’t for them I wouldn’t be home right now,” she said.

“The pilot and the crew actually fought to keep me on, and they flew at a lower altitude just to get home safely.”

Peter Nowaczeck has been charged with attempted murder in the incident. Office of the Attorney General of Quintana Roo

Coutts said she still doesn’t remember the actual assault that left her in need of surgery, but she remembers what happened leading up to it.

She and a group of friends had been at the Coyote Lounge Bar, where a man had been coming onto her friend, and wouldn’t take no for an answer, she said.

“We were nervous of him finding out where we were staying, so that’s when me and Genevieve stepped in and said you know what, she said no, it’s time for you to leave, and he didn’t like that answer,” she said.

“I actually don’t remember being hit. My last memory is of him walking the opposite direction. But I guess he’d walked in the opposite direction to get a bit of a running start at me.

“When I woke up, I just remember being covered in blood and just holding my face and just screaming in pain.”

Click to play video: 'Toronto boxer facing charges in Mexico'

Toronto boxer facing charges in Mexico – Dec 8, 2021

Coutts’ friend also suffered a head injury that required stitches.

In addition to the long road to physical recovery, Coutts said she’s dealing with financial stress as well.

She’s on the hook for medical bills in Mexico, as she didn’t have travel insurance, will need to pay for cosmetic reconstructive surgery, and will need to pay a lawyer as she works through the legal aspects of her case.

She’s also currently unable to work.

Friends have launched a GoFundMe campaign for her, which has to date raised more than $43,000.

what an animal

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Hence why I don't want to live/vacation in Mexico. 

Yes the same thing can happen anywhere.  But Mexico is just so crazy corrupt. I feel sorry for people who live there. 

"Peter Nowaczek, a professional boxer from Toronto, was charged this week with attempted murder"

• Cheers 2

Just now, Rubik said:

"Peter Nowaczek, a professional boxer from Toronto, was charged this week with attempted murder"

I get that. But there's lots of news stories, of gangs, and other lowlifes that prey on tourists and visitors, not to mention the locals. 

Can't even be safe from other Canadian's in Mexico. 

• Wat 3

13 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I get that. But there's lots of news stories, of gangs, and other lowlifes that prey on tourists and visitors, not to mention the locals. 

Can't even be safe from other Canadian's in Mexico. 

Mexico does get a lot of press for corruption, but the major cities are generally very safe, especially with the heavy military. It's a bit unfair to paint the entire country - which is massive by the way - for all the drug problems/gangs/violence that it does have. There are places in the US (border towns) that are no better than Mexico's dangerous areas themselves.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Mexico does get a lot of press for corruption, but the major cities are generally very safe, especially with the heavy military. It's a bit unfair to paint the entire country - which is massive by the way - for all the drug problems/gangs/violence that it does have. There are places in the US (border towns) that are no better than Mexico's dangerous areas themselves.

It is not safe in the least. Reporters get killed for reporting real news either by the government or by the cartels.

A restaurant that catered to the tourists was shot up about a month ago for not paying its protection money. That was in Playa del Carmen. Did you hear about that?

A buddy of mine sold trinkets and clothes in some stall in a tourist place. After his first month he was greeted by a Cartel member. The Cartel member then told him his address, his parents names, the exact amount he had in his bank account, how much he had made that month and then he told my friend that to continue to be allowed to work he would owe X amount of money or he could quit working as a sales person.

Edited by FaninMex
  • Cheers 1

I went to highschool with one of these girls, so I've been following the story as it happened.

This man shattered her eye socket, partially dislodging her eye, not too mention destroyed her nose.

How can you punch someone on the ground repeatedly like that? Hope he rots in Mexican jail.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Sad 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 minutes ago, Caboose said:

I went to highschool with one of these girls, so I've been following the story as it happened.

This man shattered her eye socket, partially dislodging her eye, not too mention destroyed her nose.

How can you punch someone on the ground repeatedly like that? Hope he rots in Mexican jail.

Totally disgusting. Fully agreed that he should be rotting.

Do you know if any bystanders stopped him or something? DV is something I'm really angry about.

Edited by Dazzle

2 minutes ago, Caboose said:

Agreed. Glad to see that he'll be doing his time in Mexico, rather than some Canadian "Club Fed"....

Let this POS work on his "boxing skills" with some hardcore Mexican cons....

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

Totally disgusting behaviour by the guy.

Do you know if any bystanders stopped him or something? DV is something I'm really angry about.

Both the girls were knocked unconscious, one by a shove and hitting her head on the ground, and the other by the repeated blows to the face, and don't have any recollection of the assault. I don't really know much about the events immediately after.

• Sad 1

Just now, Caboose said:

Both the girls were knocked unconscious, one by a shove and hitting her head on the ground, and the other by the repeated blows to the face, and don't have any recollection of the assault. I don't really know much about the events immediately after.

Jesus. I hope they will recover as soon as possible. I can't imagine the amount of trauma (physically), emotionally, and mentally that comes out of this. This is just &^@#ed up.

• Huggy Bear 1

39 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

That's becoming less and less true.  Cartels are branching out of their usual territories and targeting tourist areas.

• Sad 2

"Hope he rots in a Mexican jail."

Oh he will, then he will be back in Canada and re-offend, this time killing his victim, because he was thrown into a wolves den instead of attempting some sort of rehab to make him not a blight on society. A boxer who probably takes punches to the head with enough force to kill a lot of normal people having no self control? Maybe what we should get out of this isn't "good thing he's in jail, problem solved."

13 minutes ago, Kurgom said:

Oh he will, then he will be back in Canada and re-offend, this time killing his victim, because he was thrown into a wolves den instead of attempting some sort of rehab to make him not a blight on society. A boxer who probably takes punches to the head with enough force to kill a lot of normal people having no self control? Maybe what we should get out of this isn't "good thing he's in jail, problem solved."

A very good point.

It's understandable to want this guy to feel what he inflicted.

If we have to deal with these types back in society, we need them fixed.

1 hour ago, Kurgom said:

Actually the loser should fringing be shot or hanged.  If anyone commits a violent crime we should friggin’ kill that loser.  We are way too soft on these loser violent criminals.  KILL THEM, they don’t deserve life!  Kill them all!  

9 hours ago, Dazzle said:

U.S is one of the most violent countries in the world.
Mexico’s murder rate per capita is around 600% higher than the U.S.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

U.S is one of the most violent countries in the world.
Mexico’s murder rate per capita is around 600% higher than the U.S.

Seriously, what’s your friggin point?  Hang these bastards. Commit a violent Crome and your life is forfeit.  No stupid appeals either.  Wifhing three months th3 violent criminal us put down.  Actually put the hanging (or whatever method is used to end the LOSER) on TV.  Make some money!  Just kill the violen5 criminals.  H g em high!,,