The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] JT Miller, is he tradeable?

HKSR

Just now, Coconuts said:

Agreed as a whole 

I don't want players who don't want to be here, and I feel what he wants is often an overlooked question, which is strange because it matters.

If he doesn't see a future him he's def gotta go, just a matter of when like you said.

Yeah. I think at the stage of his career, he’s probably not willing to stay in Vancouver for 2-4 years just to get to contending status. I think he’ll probably want to go to a contender and start contending right away. Who knows, maybe he even goes back to Tampa Bay and wins a Cup there. 

I don't believe Miller is going to get traded now that Bruce is here.  Team is too good now.  We are only a few pieces away from being a legit contender.  Aquilini isn't going to go through another rebuild.  He hired JR to bring him a Cup.  We have already a competitive team that just needs a few tweaks.  We are winning games with AHL fodder in our lineup.  Imagine if we filled a few holes?  Edmonton lost 6 in a row.  Same could happen to other teams.  

We are only 4 points back of a playoff spot.  We were like 10-12 point back a couple of weeks ago.  Let's sit tight and enjoy the ride.  I have a feeling we are going to be buyers at the deadline not sellers.  The contracts will work themselves out.  Tampa, Pittsburgh and other teams manages to keep their high priced star players to win Cups, so JR can figure out the cap numbers to keep everyone around.  I'd rather go all in and win 2 Cups and then blow it up versus trying to keep bringing in younger guys to stretch out the competitive window.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. I think at the stage of his career, he’s probably not willing to stay in Vancouver for 2-4 years just to get to contending status. I think he’ll probably want to go to a contender and start contending right away. Who knows, maybe he even goes back to Tampa Bay and wins a Cup there. 

I have an inkling he'll end up back in New York, the Rags have a core built to contend 

If he's gonna take a discount he'd probably do it there or Tampa 

But that's just speculation on my part

Edited by Coconuts

57 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I think JR probably needs to start having those conversations with Miller’s agent ASAP, to get a sense and an idea of where Miller is at. If he wants to remain, the team needs to work at it and get to a decent cap and term. If he’s wanting 8M, do you keep him? What if it’s 8.5M for 5 years with a NTC in the first 3 years of that deal, do you do that deal?

I think if the team waits until next year’s Trade Deadline, then it’ll be hard to get maximum value for Miller. If the team deals him this Trade Deadline, what kind of message does that send to the rest of the team battling for a playoff spot? 

Absolutely and I do expect they will, since Boudreau has already identified Miller as a key member of the team.  Personally, I'd try to keep the aav at 8 or under and add another year or two to do it, ideally no more than 6.  This is one area where Hughes' salary helps set an internal cap on the team:  to get 8 or more, you have to be better than him, which arguably nobody is.  It's hard to know at what point to cut bait.  Losing Miller would be another gut-punch for a team that's had a few too many in recent years.  If he goes, maybe others will want to also since it amounts to deferring their window to contend.  So this is a crucial issue to resolve.

I apologize for sounding like a broken record............

But honestly, Miller will be a game changer, and any team wanting him is reaching for the top

Therefore any picks received are going to late in the round, this underlines who ever we get as the primary piece must be blue chip or close to it

Or a young budding player stuck behind someone

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMO, it is not what they are offering, but what we want.............plan and simple

Miller is a top 16 , leading scorer at C/LW/RW

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Schneider and a 1st

Hronek and top prospect

Marino and a 1st

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are the types of returns that trading Miller start with...............then you add

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Would be ideal. 

Not sure if the Canucks can actually get that. 

A 1st and Dahlin from a team like Buffalo? Seems absurd from a Sabres fan’s perspective. 

The caveat is that Dahlin is a former first overall who's actually played parts of four NHL seasons now, of course it'd be absurd. 

We'd be acquiring someone less proven, bottom feeders aren't going to be giving up their top prospects. Or they shouldn't be anyway. 

Edited by Coconuts

2 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I apologize for sounding like a broken record............

But honestly, Miller will be a game changer, and any team wanting him is reaching for the top

Therefore any picks received are going to late in the round, this underlines who ever we get as the primary piece must be blue chip or close to it

Or a young budding player stuck behind someone

IMO, it is not what they are offering, but what we want.............plan and simple

Miller is a top 16 , leading scorer at C/LW/RW

Schneider and a 1st

Hronek and top prospect

Marino and a 1st

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are the types of returns that trading Miller start with...............then you add

It really doesn’t matter what other teams want from the Canucks, the issue is what are they prepared to give up to get what they want. If the Rangers want Miller, I am all for the trade as his trade value will never be higher and moving him for quality younger, less expensive pieces  will help cap wise.  But the return  has to be one that benefits the Canucks.  If the Rangers don’t want to pony up Schneider +, they don’t get Miller.  It’s pretty simple.  We thank them for their interest and then we hang up.

• Cheers 1

On one hand JR has overpaid for vets, but on the other hand he has said the team is building for the future/wants to get faster.

So he could trade Boeser/Miller/Pearson (M-NTC) 

Podz EP Garland

Dickinson Horvat Hoagie 

Nick Paul (FA signed) RH C** RW** (**acquired via trades) 

DGS/whoever Lammikko Lockwood

Highmore 

Fill in the blanks

• Wat 1

JT is absolutely tradable, but why would we trade him if we have a chance to resign him.  We don’t know what we have with the turnover of coaching and staff.  

6 wins in a row, 8 of the last 9.  Miller put this team on his back along with Demko.  By trading him, you tell the room, the turnover cycle is in full effect.  

Let’s be real here, the team is actually well built and the cupboards are in good shape outside of top end RHD d men.  So with depth and time and wins, why would Rutherford make a quick move?  Why not let the season carry forward and reassess closer to the TDL. 

the players are making their case that it was the coaching and, so far they have spoken where it counts, starting first with Miller.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

JT is absolutely tradable, but why would we trade him if we have a chance to resign him.  We don’t know what we have with the turnover of coaching and staff.  

6 wins in a row, 8 of the last 9.  Miller put this team on his back along with Demko.  By trading him, you tell the room, the turnover cycle is in full effect.  

Let’s be real here, the team is actually well built and the cupboards are in good shape outside of top end RHD d men.  So with depth and time and wins, why would Rutherford make a quick move?  Why not let the season carry forward and reassess closer to the TDL. 

the players are making their case that it was the coaching and, so far they have spoken where it counts, starting first with Miller.  

Pfffff

I agree that Miller is all you say

But the truth is we have a budget problem of Jim Benning's creation

So, this is the first problem, as Boeser has to be re-signed

The second problem is we need a top RHD

They do not grow on trees and they cost in trade and UFA

So, what are we going to give up?

Then there is Miller's age, which is not in in sync with our core

Again, none of that would matter if we did not have to keep below the Cap

But the reality is, we still do

It is not what we want, it is what we have to do

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Pfffff

I agree that Miller is all you say

But the truth is we have a budget problem of Jim Benning's creation

So, this is the first problem, as Boeser has to be re-signed

The second problem is we need a top RHD

They do not grow on trees and they cost in trade and UFA

So, what are we going to give up?

Then there is Miller's age, which is not in in sync with our core

Again, none of that would matter if we did not have to keep below the Cap

But the reality is, we still do

It is not what we want, it is what we have to do

oh come on J, its not that bad. All Rutherford has to do is figure out how to keep PPG free agents, find a top pairing RHD, and move aging players on long term contracts. 

I kid. I do think there's some good potential options if we keep Miller or move him. Once JR et al decide on the best path, they have options to get it done sooner than later. 

I suspect one of the first steps, if it hasn't happened already, is exploring with Millers agent what an extension would look like. If thats off the table already then the choice is clear. 

Edited by JM_

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

oh come on J, its not that bad. All Rutherford has to do is figure out how to keep PPG free agents, find a top pairing RHD, and move aging players on long term contracts. 

I kid. I do think there's some good potential options if we keep Miller or move him. Once JR et al decide on the best path, they have options to get it done sooner than later. 

I suspect one of the first steps, if it hasn't happened already, is exploring with Millers agent what an extension would look like. If thats off the table already then the choice is clear. 

Actually Jim, the first step is to decide what to do with Brock Boeser, that is what will indicate what we do with JT Miller

Remember, next year we will have 2.4 Million in Buyout payments for Virtanen and Holtby

and We still have to be cap compliant the first day of the season, before putting Ferland on LTIR.

I am not sure about bonus's

Yes, the sky is falling! 

• Haha 1

Just now, J.I.A.H.N said:

Actually Jim, the first step is to decide what to do with Brock Boeser, that is what will indicate what we do with JT Miller

Remember, next year we will have 2.4 Million in Buyout payments for Virtanen and Holtby

and We still have to be cap compliant the first day of the season, before putting Ferland on LTIR.

I am not sure about bonus's

Yes, the sky is falling! 

I disagree my friend. We have Boeser under team control. His QO isn't bad, or far off what he'll get so I don't see that as a problem.

Miller tho won't be under our control, he's the wildcard. 

I look at it from the pov of how much control mgmt has. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

I disagree my friend. We have Boeser under team control. His QO isn't bad, or far off what he'll get so I don't see that as a problem.

Miller tho won't be under our control, he's the wildcard. 

I look at it from the pov of how much control mgmt has. 

Well, the Canucks have no control over BB's qualifying offer........it is 7.5 Million

which means if he was to sign a one year, he would be a UFA in one year

I would think JR would not want to let that happen, so Boeser long term deal

will be a little inflated because of that............say 6.8 to 7.2 per X 7

That does not leave enough for Miller..............therefore what they do with BB

will give us a pretty good indication of what we are doing with Miller

"IF" the problem still exists, after the TDL or draft

8 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Well, the Canucks have no control over BB's qualifying offer........it is 7.5 Million

which means if he was to sign a one year, he would be a UFA in one year

is that how it works tho? he's only 24 I thought we'd have another season of RFA control after this one? 

Either way, we have the certainty of knowing what we are in for with him for 1 season at least. 

8 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I would think JR would not want to let that happen, so Boeser long term deal

will be a little inflated because of that............say 6.8 to 7.2 per X 7

That does not leave enough for Miller..............therefore what they do with BB

will give us a pretty good indication of what we are doing with Miller

"IF" the problem still exists, after the TDL or draft

I see your point. 

Miller has more tools tho, so I can see step 1 seeing what he'd want for his extension. 

I suppose Boesers agent will really want to leverage the threat of Miller walking too. Brock might just be too pricey if his agent goes squirrelly and tries to get a ridiculous deal.

Edited by JM_