The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] Should the NHL Pause the season till January 1st

Rate this topic

VegasCanuck

Should the NHL Pause and Isolate till January 1st  

120 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

why postpone? u postpone to jan 1st , you still gonna have this covid issue, what ya gonna do once alot of players get covid again? postpone again and again? covid is gonna be a issue no matter when we play, its part of life now....if we gonna keep postponing the season, minus well not have a season

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Should they? Yes. Will they? I don't think so unless we keep getting multiple guys going on covid watch. NHL really wants to get the season as close to normal as possible. Delaying 2 some odd weeks would put a wrinkle in it. But maybe with them opting out of the Olympics it'll be okay to shut er down til January. I have no reason to believe they'll go. You run the risk of staying there 3-5 weeks if you get a bad covid test. That sucks cause it's China and cause you lose out on NHL money. Sooooo, yeah I think it'd be wise to shut it down for a few weeks here. Opt out of the Olympics. Continue with our regular scheduled programming in the new year.

42 minutes ago, x00x said:

why postpone? u postpone to jan 1st , you still gonna have this covid issue, what ya gonna do once alot of players get covid again? postpone again and again? covid is gonna be a issue no matter when we play, its part of life now....if we gonna keep postponing the season, minus well not have a season

Gives you a chance to get everyone back to healthy and then restart with tighter restrictions and daily testing.

• Like 1

This will be an unpopular opinion, but they should continue to do what they are doing now:

- Play the games where the two teams playing are not decimated from COVID (there are still many of them out there)

- Postpone the games where one or both teams are decimated by COVID.

Only thing I would suggest: have a predictable and transparent threshold for what would amount to a postponement.  My suggestion is that if you have more than 5 players in protocol, your games are postponed, or 3 players at one position.

Keep the Winter Classic on January 1st as the relaunch date. Reschedule the games from today until 31Dec2020. 

Dump the All Star Game. 

Dump the Olympics. 

Normally I'm ok with NHL'ers being in the Olympics. But things right now are not normal. 

The All Star game in the era of Internet/TV and pretty much all games being televised, is just not important. 

It's just a schmooze fest for sponsors, advertisers, big businesses. The average fan rarely attends. 

• Like 1

Scrap Olympic participation. 

Put every team on pause until the 27th. 

Just for a little extra context, if you're an NHL player it's not like you will be quarantined at home away from everyone when you're not playing. I know that you're exposed to more people at once on the hockey team but out in public you're exposed to a larger number of people in total. 

The good news is that the symptoms are much milder this time around. I know you don't want spread to go on, but pausing it for a long time won't change the fact that there will probably be spread again when things restart. 

On 12/18/2021 at 8:46 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Keep the Winter Classic on January 1st as the relaunch date. Reschedule the games from today until 31Dec2020. 

Dump the All Star Game. 

Dump the Olympics. 

Normally I'm ok with NHL'ers being in the Olympics. But things right now are not normal. 

The All Star game in the era of Internet/TV and pretty much all games being televised, is just not important. 

It's just a schmooze fest for sponsors, advertisers, big businesses. The average fan rarely attends. 

Yeah All Star game should definitely be the first to get the chop next to Olympics. 

I think I was 12 years old last time I cared about the all-star game. 

On 12/18/2021 at 8:27 PM, Saved_by_Jesus said:

This will be an unpopular opinion, but they should continue to do what they are doing now:

- Play the games where the two teams playing are not decimated from COVID (there are still many of them out there)

- Postpone the games where one or both teams are decimated by COVID.

Only thing I would suggest: have a predictable and transparent threshold for what would amount to a postponement.  My suggestion is that if you have more than 5 players in protocol, your games are postponed, or 3 players at one position.

That's unpopular but pretty realistic I think. 

NHL has to get through as many games as possible and there will be many more outbreaks this season. 

NFL is doing it wild, if you're asymptomatic you don't get tested. Most of the NHLers getting flagged are asymptomatic. 

I actually don't think that's a good idea as you're just turning a blind eye to asymptomatic Covid cases. 

On 12/18/2021 at 9:19 PM, x00x said:

That's silly. If everyone isolated (even enhanced precautions) during the postponement we start with no covid again. The Canucks have played 31 games (38 %) without a cancelation yet. With tighter protocols and renewed caution for a bit we can certainly do it again. Or I guess as the kids do it these days. Try it once and quit if it's remotely difficult.

6 minutes ago, Canuck Luck said:

Keep playing. Most people getting omicron don't even know they have it.

Earn your millions and play the game you love to do to earn those millions that most people only ever dream of. 

Don't wuss out!!!

You mean like the NFL is doing?  I see the NHL taking a week off starting tomorrow.  Then, when they do come back, there will be expanded rosters to accommodate guys who get sick.  

2 hours ago, Crimson-JH said:

Part of me kind of want Jan 1st game postponed, because with the winter weather we are having…. It’s not going to be fun driving on I-5 en route to Seattle from Portland for me with the snow, people do not know how to drive in this condition. 

Hey that's going to be a fun game.  First time that Canucks are in Seattle with the borders open between the two countries, right?  Or am forgetting that they were open first time that they played?  

3 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Hey that's going to be a fun game.  First time that Canucks are in Seattle with the borders open between the two countries, right?  Or am forgetting that they were open first time that they played?  

Yes, it will be the first match up with the borders open up. I was at the Inaugural Home Opener last time and it was a memorable and awesome game to see the Canucks won. Petey gave me a warmup puck after I handed a couple of pucks to the kids next to me.