The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] December 19, 2021 GAME POSTPONED (Was Arizona @ Vancouver) - PLEASE KEEP IT TO HOCKEY RELATED TALK

Rate this topic

Goal:thecup

JR doesn't want to visit the US again right before Xmas and risk team members being stuck in the Excited States of America away from their families et al back in Vancouver:

VANCOUVER -- On the day the Vancouver Canucks had their first games postponed due to COVID, president of hockey operations Jim Rutherford said he’d be in favour of more targeted testing like the National Football League is undertaking if it can be done safely and helps teams play a full 82-game season.

He also made it clear that although only Saturday’s home game against the Toronto Maple Leafs and Sunday’s versus the Arizona Coyotes have been postponed, the Canucks are uncomfortable about a one-game trip to play the San Jose Sharks on Tuesday due to the possibility of players getting stuck quarantining in the U.S. during Christmas.

Rutherford’s team added defenceman Tyler Myers to its COVID-19 protocol list on Saturday morning, making it six Canucks players in quarantine, with the possibility of further positive tests coming in later in the day.

The National Hockey League’s weekend began with the Boston Bruins and Nashville Predators being “shut down” through Christmas due to outbreaks. The Calgary Flames, Colorado Avalanche and Florida Panthers were already shut down.

“I wasn't totally surprised,” Rutherford said when asked about a morning call from NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly informing him of the postponements. “I was a little bit disappointed. I know that a lot of people came from out of town for this game (against Toronto). I feel bad for those fans that made those arrangements.

Monitoring COVID-19 in the NHL
The coronavirus has run rampant through the league, forcing teams to deal with the threat of outbreaks and games being postponed. Here's the latest.
nhl-logo-on-net-640x360.jpg

“From a team point of view, this was going to be a really good test for us. The Maple Leafs are one of the top teams in the league and we would have got a good look at how our team responded against them, so we're disappointed. But safety comes first -- the safety of the players, safety the fans -- and I think this is the right decision.”

The Canucks are 6-0 since head coach Travis Green and general manager Jim Benning were fired nearly two weeks ago, and the Maple Leafs’ annual visit to Vancouver is typically one of the most anticipated games of the season for fans.

The postponement came as the NFL announced it would end mandatory weekly coronavirus testing for players who are fully vaccinated and display no symptoms of COVID-19. Earlier this week, the football league decided that even players who test positive can fully return if they are asymptomatic for 24 hours and pass both PCR and rapid antigen tests.

Asked only about the new testing protocols, Rutherford said: “I don't understand it enough. I try to follow the doctors and the so-called experts that we watch on TV, and some of them are getting it right, some of them aren't. I don't know (but) I'm certainly open to it. I would like to see us play a full season and figure out a way to do that. But for me, safety comes first. If we can find a way to do it the way the NFL is doing it and everybody feels comfortable and it's a safe way to do it, then, yeah, I'm all for it.”

Rutherford said he has spoken to all the Canucks players who trickled into COVID-19 protocol since Monday: defencemen Luke Schenn, Tucker Poolman, Brad Hunt and Myers, and forwards Juho Lammikko and Tyler Motte. Assistant coach Jason King is also in protocol.

Rutherford said the only symptoms displayed by any of them are “very mild.” On Thursday, coach Bruce Boudreau described the symptoms as similar to a cold.

Play Video
Play
Mute

Loaded: 0%

Remaining Time -5:07
ShareFullscreen

Will the NHL pause season until the new year?

To bolster organizational depth, the Canucks signed minor-league defenceman Ashton Sautner to an NHL contract.

Rutherford emphasized that the organization is operating fully, except for this weekend’s postponements, and can practise.

He said the decision to play or not is entirely with the league, but he indicated the Canucks will not be comfortable given the rapid spread of COVID-19 around the league if they’re asked to play in California on Tuesday.

The Canucks had a one-game trip to San Jose on Thursday, when they won 5-2 and flew home post-game with all of their players and staff.

Motte went into COVID protocol the next day.

“I feel very fortunate,” Rutherford said. “The players really weren't comfortable with going and (the possibility of) getting stuck there. And I'm sure that will be part of the decision for this game going to San Jose, especially at this time of the year. So yeah, we feel very fortunate that our players got back safe.”

Whenever the Leafs game is made up, the Canucks could still be out millions in revenue. The province has re-instituted a 50 per cent capacity limit at Rogers Arena starting on Monday.

Rutherford said it is his understanding that the team’s season-ticket holders will be given priority seating under the new guidelines.

The team’s final pre-Christmas game is Thursday at home against the Anaheim Ducks.

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

JR doesn't want to visit the US again right before Xmas and risk team members being stuck in the Excited States of America away from their families et al back in Vancouver:

VANCOUVER -- On the day the Vancouver Canucks had their first games postponed due to COVID, president of hockey operations Jim Rutherford said he’d be in favour of more targeted testing like the National Football League is undertaking if it can be done safely and helps teams play a full 82-game season.

He also made it clear that although only Saturday’s home game against the Toronto Maple Leafs and Sunday’s versus the Arizona Coyotes have been postponed, the Canucks are uncomfortable about a one-game trip to play the San Jose Sharks on Tuesday due to the possibility of players getting stuck quarantining in the U.S. during Christmas.

Rutherford’s team added defenceman Tyler Myers to its COVID-19 protocol list on Saturday morning, making it six Canucks players in quarantine, with the possibility of further positive tests coming in later in the day.

The National Hockey League’s weekend began with the Boston Bruins and Nashville Predators being “shut down” through Christmas due to outbreaks. The Calgary Flames, Colorado Avalanche and Florida Panthers were already shut down.

“I wasn't totally surprised,” Rutherford said when asked about a morning call from NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly informing him of the postponements. “I was a little bit disappointed. I know that a lot of people came from out of town for this game (against Toronto). I feel bad for those fans that made those arrangements.

Monitoring COVID-19 in the NHL
The coronavirus has run rampant through the league, forcing teams to deal with the threat of outbreaks and games being postponed. Here's the latest.
nhl-logo-on-net-640x360.jpg

“From a team point of view, this was going to be a really good test for us. The Maple Leafs are one of the top teams in the league and we would have got a good look at how our team responded against them, so we're disappointed. But safety comes first -- the safety of the players, safety the fans -- and I think this is the right decision.”

The Canucks are 6-0 since head coach Travis Green and general manager Jim Benning were fired nearly two weeks ago, and the Maple Leafs’ annual visit to Vancouver is typically one of the most anticipated games of the season for fans.

The postponement came as the NFL announced it would end mandatory weekly coronavirus testing for players who are fully vaccinated and display no symptoms of COVID-19. Earlier this week, the football league decided that even players who test positive can fully return if they are asymptomatic for 24 hours and pass both PCR and rapid antigen tests.

Asked only about the new testing protocols, Rutherford said: “I don't understand it enough. I try to follow the doctors and the so-called experts that we watch on TV, and some of them are getting it right, some of them aren't. I don't know (but) I'm certainly open to it. I would like to see us play a full season and figure out a way to do that. But for me, safety comes first. If we can find a way to do it the way the NFL is doing it and everybody feels comfortable and it's a safe way to do it, then, yeah, I'm all for it.”

Rutherford said he has spoken to all the Canucks players who trickled into COVID-19 protocol since Monday: defencemen Luke Schenn, Tucker Poolman, Brad Hunt and Myers, and forwards Juho Lammikko and Tyler Motte. Assistant coach Jason King is also in protocol.

Rutherford said the only symptoms displayed by any of them are “very mild.” On Thursday, coach Bruce Boudreau described the symptoms as similar to a cold.

Play Video
Play
Mute

Loaded: 0%

Remaining Time -5:07
ShareFullscreen

Will the NHL pause season until the new year?

To bolster organizational depth, the Canucks signed minor-league defenceman Ashton Sautner to an NHL contract.

Rutherford emphasized that the organization is operating fully, except for this weekend’s postponements, and can practise.

He said the decision to play or not is entirely with the league, but he indicated the Canucks will not be comfortable given the rapid spread of COVID-19 around the league if they’re asked to play in California on Tuesday.

The Canucks had a one-game trip to San Jose on Thursday, when they won 5-2 and flew home post-game with all of their players and staff.

Motte went into COVID protocol the next day.

“I feel very fortunate,” Rutherford said. “The players really weren't comfortable with going and (the possibility of) getting stuck there. And I'm sure that will be part of the decision for this game going to San Jose, especially at this time of the year. So yeah, we feel very fortunate that our players got back safe.”

Whenever the Leafs game is made up, the Canucks could still be out millions in revenue. The province has re-instituted a 50 per cent capacity limit at Rogers Arena starting on Monday.

Rutherford said it is his understanding that the team’s season-ticket holders will be given priority seating under the new guidelines.

The team’s final pre-Christmas game is Thursday at home against the Anaheim Ducks.

Totally agree with JR’s belief the NHL should follow the NFL’s new “targeted testing” policy.  Only test guys who are presenting symptoms.  With all our guys vaccinated and this Omicron variant proving to be mild JR is 100% correct. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I think the Canucks should have their games postponed until December 31st. Start fresh in the new year and play these games during the Olympic break.

Most arenas have already booked those dates for other events though.  

3 minutes ago, mll said:

Most arenas have already booked those dates for other events though.  

We’re going to see a lot more cancellations of concerts as provinces and states reintroduce capacity limits.

There should be plenty of opportunities to make up games.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, AbbyNux said:

NFL is only going to test symptomatic players. That is the right move. It's time to get over this sh*t. 

Sadly I think there is some that like the restrictions. Gives them validation for their argument and opinion that we should all live in fear. Gives their sad life meaning.

I hope the NHL follows the NFL

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 2

7 minutes ago, AbbyNux said:

NFL is only going to test symptomatic players. That is the right move. It's time to get over this sh*t. 

Problem is, the asymptomatic players can be spreading it to others so that hardly does any good.  The idea is to prevent clusters and outbreaks by quickly identifying and isolating cases, which testing everyone can help with.

I also feel a shut down until the New Year is likely a better big picture plan as dabbling and reacting seems to allow things to really escalate quickly.

I love my hockey, but short term pain for long term (keep a season intact) gain.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2
  • RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

We play only the California teams as away games until the end of the year. There are some dates available during February at Honda Center, SAP Center and Staples Center. 

Wouldn't they look at the full league though.  Would be a bit unusual to have just Vancouver and the California teams playing if the others can't.  

• Vintage 1