Canucks Community

Young RD Targets (Crowd Sourced haha)

aGENT

A question I'd like Bruce or Jim R to answer for us:

" In terms of which side a right handed D man should play, does it:

Have to be on the right

should be on the right

don't care?"

After getting that answered, we will have a better idea what is going to happen.

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

Have to be on the right

should be on the right

don't care?"

After getting that answered, we will have a better idea what is going to happen.

Wouldn't you need to know more so if they feel a left handed D could play there?;)

I think, given the choice, most any coach would prefer LHD to play on the left and RHD to play on the right. Given the shortage of quality RHD, a lot of lefty's end up playing right, but more out of necessity than choice.

That arguably matters less with D who play a "rover" style (Hughes), as they're generally all over the ice anyway, but defensively it does still pose some problems (largely trying to receive passes/clear/pass pucks on your back hand).

• Upvote 1

I don't think we have the draft capital. Trading Miller would make our middle ice weak and our prospect cupboard is barren.

Best we can do is hope for a nice prospect in the draft. I am going to assume we pick from anywhere from 10-32 (I hope we get 32 :P). Here is some RHD prospects I got my eyes on: 
1. Simon Nemec, although he might go much higher and my he is best available. Good speed, great 3 zone game. I would trade up for this kid. Top pairing

2. Tristan Luneau. Great speed, good size. Think Hughes-lite, top 4.

3. Ryan Chesley, great defender, good shot. Potential top 4.

11 minutes ago, gurn said:

Have to be on the right

should be on the right

don't care?"

Whichever side the D is most comfortable.  

Boudreau played Soucy on either side.  Soucy is a LHD but he also played on the right side for Boudreau.

Rutherford acquired Daley for Scuderi when in Pittsburgh.  Daley was struggling in Chicago and Rutherford knew why.  From his Players'Tribune article:

"The problem jumped out at me right away. Trevor was on the left side of the TV screen. 
Trevor is lefthanded. Chicago was playing him on the left side. 
Most people watching would think, “So what? Isn’t that his natural side?”

It is. Most defensemen like playing on their natural side, so that when their defensive partner passes the puck “D-to-D” behind the net, they can catch the puck on their forehand. 
But I knew from my box that Trevor actually liked to play on his off-side. He played on the right side in Dallas. Watching him in Chicago, you could tell he was uncomfortable on breakouts."

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

It really comes down to the fact that no one wants to trade good young Dmen or blue chip prospects, doesn't  it?

And the more proposals and opinions given, the more it becomes clear, just how hard it will be to get someone that will make a difference, and that will be around awhile.

The other thing that is becoming abundantly clear is the cost. And it will be substantial, to get that player that makes a difference and can fit under the cap.

It really comes down to reorganizing our Cap structure and over paying.

This leads me to believe that as much as I would like to start our climb now, we are still rebuilding in some manner.

We need to build up our RHD, and get a 3rd line center, who can win F/O and be defensive, that all the while replacing Miller?, and using our 1st to build our stocks.

I say Miller, because he is the only player which is expendable long term, and will bring in multiple assets.

I could see a youngish 3rd line center and a 2022-1st, being the pieces, and depending on where the pick is, could very well bring in a very nice piece.

I think we need to practice patience and draft our own.............God! What have I said!

Pretty much this^. The reality I have come to accept though is for every Ryan Kesler there are 50 Brendan Gaunce.   

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Pretty much this^. The reality I have come to accept though is for every Ryan Kesler there are 50 Brendan Gaunce.   

That is one of the thing I have been looking at.........

So we go into the draft with a 1st and a 3rd.....................hopefully we get another 1st and draft RHD's like crazy, because you just never know if they will turn out, so you need more than 1 or 2.................

I am not sure Woo will make it? Not saying he won't, just don't know........................

7 hours ago, IBatch said:

I'd love Manson - he's been a consistent stay at home guy.    Sure his services will be in demand given his age.    Don't think he's as good as his Dad but does have some of the same snarl (his Dad went to two all-star games, to go with his 200 plus a year pim...one tough hombre)...    Not sure where we are going to get the 6-8 million extra in cap to keep BB, Miller and Horvat though - could you explain how we get that?   Not to mention the raises for our tweeners Podz and Hogs.    That's another 4 million or so.   And Motte another 1 .... but see him as a casualty.      Luongo, JV and Holtby will cover two of Miller/Horvat/BB.    That's about it.    Rutherford said we have cap issues and agree we do.    Covid for sure played a huge part in JB plans around the team.   Same as most other hockey clubs though.     Maybe we play with a smaller roster? 

I think you undervalue Hughes, OEL, Manson and Myers if you think those 4 are a "middling" defense. Anyway go look at the D corps that WSH or PIT or BOS are rolling and you will see how you don't need the best defense in the league to be a contender. You do need a couple of top Dmen plus good D depth.

Where does the money come from? Well those moves you mention all happen in different seasons so it is possible to manage the cap. I will show you some possibilities over the next 3 seasons to afford all of those moves. My ideas are not the only way forward, just a way it could be done.

This year (clear Hamonic before TDL):

2022a.JPG

2022b.JPG

2023-24 season, Pearson in his last contract years is traded (likely with sweetener), Miller, Horvat resigned. Young guys like Klimovich and McDonough hit the roster. Note this leaves $18m in cap space for the FOLLOWING season to resign Pettersson + Podkolzin + gap fillers:

2024.JPG

Edited by BigTramFan

13 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree with this.  Moving Miller destroys the chemistry we have up front and we would never get equal value for him for what he currently brings to the team.  

I could see Rathbone fitting into a Boudreau system and then we go all in on a big defensive Dman to play the right side to compensate.  Depends on the development of Rathbone and his defensive game.  We could always get a big left sided defensive dman as a 7th guy to sub in when needed.  Wouldn't cost as much as a starter.

If the Islanders falter they may want to part ways with Mayfield in the summer and put Dobson on the 2nd pairing and get a serviceable 3rd pairing guy on the right side.  He would come cheap to us at least for a year and then see what happens in the summer.  That way we could keep both Miller and BO and extend Brock.

The way the team us playing right now I don't think JR wants to tamper with the top 9 forward group.  It has real good chemistry and we have Klimovich and McDonough coming up who can fill positions if we move Pearson.

I disagree, I really do. I don't believe losing Miller would be as devastating as some folks make it out to be. I have strong doubts regarding whether his play can hold up well enough to be worth what he's going to cost, and I seriously question whether he'll want to remain in Vancouver at all. 

As for value? How do you know? "We would never" is a bit of an absolute ain't it? Realistically you, like the rest of us, have no idea. Players move, that's hockey, I don't see why we couldn't get fair value. Rutherford has a reputation for making fair trades which is why he's been able to make so many. And "currently brings" is worth pondering. 

Miller will be 29 in March, and as a pending UFA he'll command a 6-8 year deal likely starting higher than 7M. Miller right now likely isn't the player you see halfway through a lengthy deal, and as a UFA why would he take less? This is his last chance to cash in on a big deal. Loyalty to the team? We're already the third team he's played for, we aren't getting a large discount. 

I think a lot of folks are getting too hung up on the player Miller is right now. Could he be an effective player into his 30's? Possibly. Would he be worth a large retirement style contract? I sure as hell wouldn't put money on it. 

I don't care if we take a step back offensively by trading Miller closer to the deadline, straight up. Rutherford said there were holes coming in when he got here, we're currently a capped out team. Several players will need re-signing or replacing in the coming years. Keeping the band together ain't all that realistic without negatively impacting other areas of the roster. You can only allocate so much to your top six. 

Miller and Horvat will need deals, we'll need to make a decision on Boeser soon. Pettersson needs a new deal the year after Miller and Horvat expire. Hoglander needs a new deal the same year as Miller and Horvat. Myers will be 32 in February, he'll be 34 before his deal is up, we'll have to find a viable replacement and than may very well cost more than his current 6M. We aren't getting a top 4D to replace Hamonic at 3M or less. Podz will need a new deal the same year as Pettersson. And all the aforementioned feature only D or guys who are/should be top six guys. We're still missing a legitimate 3c, I don't see Miller/Pettersson/Horvat being a long term thing, they'll all be making too much. 

If this team can't be competitive going forward without Miller that's a rather damning assessment of the rest of the team. Sometimes you've got to take from a perceived strength to shore up weaknesses. 

9 hours ago, IBatch said:

Not sure who we have to trade to find the cap space for Miller, Horvat and BB. This team is going to have to do without one of them.    Podz and Hogs give us a couple years relief, then a tweener deal like JV got most likely.    Also will eat some cap up.   To me we have the mini-window JB created to make the playoffs and see what happens this season and next.   Maybe that's good enough, the cost of a 22nd for Miller is already more then paid in full.     I love Miller yet keep bringing him up.   Guys awesome.   But he won't be that awesome at 8-9x6-8... will he?  

Edit:  One of our biggest issues is defense still.   I doubt we will be so lucky to get the best RHD come UFA time to fill Myers spot.   Or that we have anything remotely close to that in our pool either.   Woo ... well he's probably at best going to be a middle pairing guy IF he even makes it.    Thing that really sucks is these guys take time.   2-3 years at least from the time they are drafted. Don't think the next GM going to have much choice other then to trade or sign these spots.  

My question is whether our middle six is worth gutting to try and ice a rather pricy top six. I firmly believe a team can only spend so much on their top six before it begins to hurt the rest of their roster, we've been seeing that in Toronto and we've seen other teams do it too over the years. Pettersson, Boeser, Miller, and Horvat won't be cheap. Throw in Garland and Hoglander and that's a good chunk of cap. 

I personally wouldn't sign Miller to a retirement deal, I figure he'll be too expensive and the term will be too long. 

The defense is def concerning. Myers has looked great, but he'll be 32 soon and he'll be 34 by the time his deal is up. Is he a top 4D at 34? Probably not. Is Hamonic still a top 4D? Tough to say, haven't seen enough of him this season. But we sure as hell aren't getting a top 4D for the 3M he's currently making. Poolman's the only guy who's not a question mark on our right side going forward given his deal. Aside from Woo we really don't have much in the system right now, at least as far as guys who might be close go. And given how in demand RD are a legit top 4 guy won't come cheap via free agency, assuming we manage to lure him to Vancouver in the first place. The downside of trading for RD is it'll cost you assets, the downside to pursuing guys via UFA is you pay a premium and you've got to compete with several other teams. 

Bolstering our D ain't likely to be a cut and dry process.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

The Panthers really need a RW sniper...

Panthers get  Boeser + Poolman ($1m retained) + Rathbone or an appropriate pic in 2023.

Vancouver get  McKenzie Weeger (RD-27yrs-$3.75x2) + Cole Schwindt (RC-20yrs-$.855.3) AHL

https://thehockeywriters.com/panthers-2020-21-report-card-mackenzie-weegar/

https://thepuckauthority.com/scouting-report-cole-schwindt/

I don't think the Nucks require a top pairing RD, if playing alongside OEI or Hughes.  Weeger is a 2-way dman that plays really well in the Dzone.  He can also put up points when an opportunity arises.

Cole Schwindt is a gem, who will end up on the team's top 6 at some point. Right now he is tearing it up the AHL.  I think he would start as a 3C; shooting right.

I'm not certain if this would be suitable for the Panthers.  Withholding $1m of Poolman's salary is to help Fla cap hit. 

Brock has  ++value than Weegar, but Poolman and Rathbone have less value than Schwindt.

3 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Panthers get  Boeser + Poolman ($1m retained) + Rathbone or an appropriate pic in 2023.

Vancouver get  McKenzie Weeger (RD-27yrs-$3.75x2) + Cole Schwindt (RC-20yrs-$.855.3) AHL

I don't think the Nucks require a top pairing RD, if playing alongside OEI or Hughes.  Weeger is a 2-way dman that plays really well in the Dzone.  He can also put up points when an opportunity arises.

Cole Schwindt is a gem, who will end up on the team's top 6 at some point. Right now he is tearing it up the AHL.  I think he would start as a 3C; shooting right.

I'm not certain if this would be suitable for the Panthers.  Withholding $1m of Poolman's salary is to help Fla cap hit. 

Brock has  ++value than Weegar, but Poolman and Rathbone have less value than Schwindt.

Florida are 3rd in the league in goals for per game.  Don't see them moving out a top pairing D for Boeser.   

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

I think you undervalue Hughes, OEL, Manson and Myers if you think those 4 are a "middling" defense. Anyway go look at the D corps that WSH or PIT or BOS are rolling and you will see how you don't need the best defense in the league to be a contender. You do need a couple of top Dmen plus good D depth.

Where does the money come from? Well those moves you mention all happen in different seasons so it is possible to manage the cap. I will show you some possibilities over the next 3 seasons to afford all of those moves. My ideas are not the only way forward, just a way it could be done.

This year (clear Hamonic before TDL):

2022a.JPG

2022b.JPG

I think you might be have me confused for someone else.   We do in fact, have the best D we've had in some time, Myers OEL is a legit first pairing.   And QHs is one of or maybe the leagues best Rover.    But just because you brought it up, yes i'd consider our team D middling despite our record suggesting it's worse then that.   As it is right now.    First time since the early 2010's it's not mediocre to bottom dwelling.   I haven't seen this years rankings for mid or late season, but do get them every season from THN anyways, and it hasn't been flattering for some time.   Edler led the league in minus one year .. Sbisa, Hutton, Del Zotto etc ...   Glad those days are gone.   And your absolutely right - one of PIT cups they didn't have Letang at all, Shultz did the heavy lifting lol...but they did have Crosby.   WSH cup teams were better. 

Bruce Bump could change some minds and i hope so.  OEL/Myers have been 10/11 most of the season 5 x 5 as far as possession goes, pretty darn good.   And the effect it's had on QHs for sure helps as well.    Aside from our below average record, i'd rank our D middle of the row yes.    Adding Manson for sure would be an upgrade, been pining for him for a couple seasons now with ANA cycle, he's a good trade and sign proposition.   He has to want to come here though.    

Dysin Mayo

- Local, from Victoria

- 25 year old rookie with a 6'2 frame

- Salary 750K

- #1 in the NHL for RHD in SH TOI/Game

- Leads the Coyotes in short handed minutes. 

- 3rd best SH GA/60 minutes, basically on par with Chychrun (their best player) and Larsson (one of the nhl's top penalty killers)

- 41st in NHL in blocked shots

- Averages 20:25 minutes per game and is only -2 on a terrible team

- Was on waivers earlier this year and is a free agent next year, could probably fetch for a mid round pick 

- Paired with Ghost who has had a big bounce back year 

SCOUTING REPORT

Is a good skater with solid puck-moving skills and a projectable frame. Does a little bit of everything on the ice reasonably well and is relatively low-maintenance. Is he a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none type? Perhaps. Also, he will need to add more bulk for the pro game. Does not have game-changing offensive upside.

Long Range Potential: Solid defenseman with some upside.

Artem Zub

- 26 years old but only in second year in the NHL

- Just re-signed with Ottawa for 2 years, 2.5 per year

- 6'2 202

- Averaging 22 minutes per game and has 9 points in 28 games

- Kills on average 1:51 minutes per game but not as effective as Dysin (14:11 GA/60)

- Much more well rounded and higher upside but far costlier to acquire, at least a 2nd round pick or more 

SCOUTING REPORT

The Russian defenseman flew under the radar in the KHL before showing he was an NHL prospect at the 2018 Winter Olympics, and is living up to that promise after coming to North America. His big (6’2”) frame helps him defend well in his own zone. He also moves the puck well and can contribute offensively. Should get stronger as he fills out physically.

Long Range Potential: Reliable NHL defenseman.

In terms of prospects...

Jake Livingstone

- Former Langley Riverman (49 points in 52 games his final season there), BC boy

- 6'4 205lbs 

- Currently 8th in NCAA scoring amongst defenseman as a sophomore with 18 points in 20 games

- Unsigned, undrafted 

- Here is a sweet end to end rush to setup a goal https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=294629722015281

- Not sure if he is finishing up 4 years in the NCAA or we could sign and bring to Abbotsford

Edited by canucklehead44
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Dysin Mayo

- Local, from Victoria

- Salary 750K

- 3rd best SH GA/60 minutes, basically on par with Chychrun (their best player) and Larsson (one of the nhl's top penalty killers)

- Was on waivers earlier this year and is a free agent next year, could probably fetch for a mid round pick 

SCOUTING REPORT

Is a good skater with solid puck-moving skills and a projectable frame. Does a little bit of everything on the ice reasonably well and is relatively low-maintenance. Is he a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none type? Perhaps. Also, he will need to add more bulk for the pro game. Does not have game-changing offensive upside.

Artem Zub

- 6'2 202

- Kills on average 1:51 minutes per game but not as effective as Dysin (14:11 GA/60)

- Much more well rounded and higher upside but far costlier to acquire, at least a 2nd round pick or more 

SCOUTING REPORT

The Russian defenseman flew under the radar in the KHL before showing he was an NHL prospect at the 2018 Winter Olympics, and is living up to that promise after coming to North America. His big (6’2”) frame helps him defend well in his own zone. He also moves the puck well and can contribute offensively. Should get stronger as he fills out physically.

Funny thing is, Lumme wasn't a highly touted guy either, he sure worked out.    Would be awesome if we could find someone who punches well above his payscale to compliment QHs, Myers and OEL.   

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Aside from Woo we really don't have much in the system right now, at least as far as guys who might be close go. And given how in demand RD are a legit top 4 guy won't come cheap via free agency, assuming we manage to lure him to Vancouver in the first place.

I'm OK with penciling some mix of Poolman, Woo and Juulsen in as right side, bottom pair/spare guys for a year or two from now personally. I think we're reasonably covered there. And we do have Persson and Myrenberg as potential lotto tickets on the right. Not much else though and nothing with concrete, top 4, replace Myers minutes, capability though. Therein lies the problem IMO. The very one I'm suggesting we need to solve. I don't see Rutherford just ignoring and crossing his fingers that, that hole fills itself.

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Weegar is defintely the 'player type' I'd love to see (though bigger/meaner would be nice)...thinking he's just a touch on the older than preferred side (25 max IMO)  and as MLL noted, the Panthers aren't exactly struggling to score. Not sure they 'need' Boeser enough to warrant moving Weegar...?

28 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Dysin Mayo

- Local, from Victoria

- Salary 750K

SCOUTING REPORT

Artem Zub

- 6'2 202

SCOUTING REPORT

Good outside the box suggestions. Not sure either have the ultimate ceiling we'd prefer but would be decent, low risk, low cost gambles that could at least play in your bottom 4 likely, if not ultimately the guy I think we're looking for.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

That is one of the thing I have been looking at.........

So we go into the draft with a 1st and a 3rd.....................hopefully we get another 1st and draft RHD's like crazy, because you just never know if they will turn out, so you need more than 1 or 2.................

I am not sure Woo will make it? Not saying he won't, just don't know........................

I think JR needs to get a late 1st and a 2nd for Brock maybe more depending on how much salary is coming back.  and scatter shot draft as many of

Steady reliable big minute RD: Jiricek, Nemec, Chesley, Maveric Lamoureux,  

Big physical shut down 4/5 LD: Lian Bichsel, Simon Forsmark, Owen Pickering

200ft 3c who wins his minutes against high quality competition: Geekie, Gaucher, Kasper, McGroarty, Filip Bystedt, 

Kiril Dolzhenkov for the Lulz

If it seems like I'm just naming big physical 2 way players it's because I am. When you consider our core. Garland Pete Hoglander Hughes there simply isn't enough Bo, Podkolzin to go around. And the price of young powerforwards, Elite 3C and RHD is almost prohibitively expensive.

So if I'm the Canucks GM ill take Gaunce/Woo over Schroeder/Rathbone with every pick outside the top 15 this year and live with it.  

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm OK with penciling some mix of Poolman, Woo and Juulsen in as right side, bottom pair/spare guys for a year or two from now personally. I think we're reasonably covered there. And we do have Persson and Myrenberg as potential lotto tickets on the right. Not much else though and nothing with concrete, top 4, replace Myers minutes, capability though. Therein lies the problem IMO. The very one I'm suggesting we need to solve. I don't see Rutherford just ignoring and crossing his fingers that, that hole fills itself.

Weegar is defintely the 'player type' I'd love to see (though bigger/meaner would be nice)...thinking he's just a touch on the older than preferred side (25 max IMO)  and as MLL noted, the Panthers aren't exactly struggling to score. Not sure they 'need' Boeser enough to warrant moving Weegar...?

Good outside the box suggestions. Not sure either have the ultimate ceiling we'd prefer but would be decent, low risk, low cost gambles that could at least play in your bottom 4 likely, if not ultimately the guy I think we're looking for.

Another key thing is the fact they play for teams at the bottom of the standings. Mayo was a 5th round pick, Zub was a free agent signing, so they would be generating some positive value there as well. Both players are playing very well in their roles (2nd pairing minutes and doing well) but have very limited time in the NHL given their age. Like you said, low risk and low cost gambles that can help fill a hole on our right side and possibly bring some additional upside. Out of the two I'd love to see Mayo alongside Hughes. Neither guy is a top pair but could fill out our top 4. 

Edited by canucklehead44
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

I'd be lying if I said I knew a ton about him but Dylan Coghlan is a big/young RHD. BC boy to boot....

Sort of in a similar category as Mayo et al. Good low cost, low risk gambles but probably not the ultimate 'top pair' ceiling we'd like to have. Also not sure VGK would be in any hurry to move him given he's on a cheap ELC and both Hague and Whitecloud are due raises as well as McNabb (they may let him go/might go for more money elsewhere).