The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Carolina has what we need.

To Carolina:. Miller

To Vancouver:. Kotkaniemi (negotiated long term contract that doesn't start with a 6) and Bear 

We get younger, fill a hole at RD, and stay deep at centre.  They get an elite centre/wing at a low cap for 2 runs at the cup.  They also have Drury coming to replace Kotkaniemi and Bear is stuck at 3 RD on a very deep team.  

Also interested what people feel would be a fair value contact for Kotkaniemi?

Edited by Gino Gino Gino
  • Wat 2

35 minutes ago, Gino Gino Gino said:

To Carolina:. Miller

To Vancouver:. Kotkaniemi (negotiated long term contract that doesn't start with a 6) and Bear 

We get younger, fill a hole at RD, and stay deep at centre.  They get an elite centre/wing at a low cap for 2 runs at the cup.  They also have Drury coming to replace Kotkaniemi and Bear is stuck at 3 RD on a very deep team.  

Kotkaniemi should be a long term contract around 3 million. Carolina has set an expectation of him being paid far more than he’s really worth, as did Montreal, when they drafted him where they did.

If he was already on a long term contract around 3 million, I wouldn’t mind him, but I’d hate to have to negotiate that with him after being paid north of 6 million.

@Warhippyis also right, we can get a LOT more for Miller in trade.

• Vintage 1

52 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I would agree they do.

But we can do better than that for MIller.

Curious as to what would you like them to add?   Do you think they could get Carolina to add a 1st or 2nd?   I feel Kotkaniemi has more room to grow.  The recent outbreak in Carolina has given him more playing time and better linemates and he has produced 9 points in 11 games.  

23 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Kotkaniemi should be a long term contract around 3 million. Carolina has set an expectation of him being paid far more than he’s really worth, as did Montreal, when they drafted him where they did.

If he was already on a long term contract around 3 million, I wouldn’t mind him, but I’d hate to have to negotiate that with him after being paid north of 6 million.

@Warhippyis also right, we can get a LOT more for Miller in trade.

the deal might allow us to shed some other salary tho, you don't need both Hamonic and Poolman if we bring Bear in. If we could send Pearson back the other way too I'd be pretty happy.

Miller, Pearson for KK and Bear

Yeah, they've got what we need: a winning record.  I agree with JR that we don't need to make any big moves right now.  We have to see what we can do with what we have.  We had a lot of player turnover in the off season and we haven't gelled yet (well we were just beginning to when the season got interrupted).  I don't want to trade Miller at all.  He's one of our best players right now.  His intensity is needed.  And before anyone says we have to trade him while his value is high, I say "no, we have to use our players to get some wins".  We need less panic and more determination to win with our current roster.  It's really not so bad.  GCG! 

• Vintage 3

4 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Are you nuts?

A little.  I love Miller, but we are not a contending team and we should finally learn not to give a 30yo a big contract.   The only way I see keeping Miller as making sense is if you feel we have a legitimate shot at the cup in the next year and a half or if he is open to a short term contract.  

• Cheers 2

Carolina drafts well, lets steal some people from management/scouting etc...

AGM: Darren Yourke

AGM: Eric Tulsky

Director of Hockey Ops: Aaron Schwartz

Director or Pro Scouting: Mark Craig

Senior Consultant: Mike Futa

Amateur Scouts: Bob Luccini
Don Elland
Daniel Eklund
Cody Nickolet
Eric Fink
Oleg Smirnov
Jokke Nevalainen
Rhys Jessop
Ian Meagher

Futa/Tulsky/Yourke for GM, they bring Scwartz or some amateur scouts with them to revamp that department 

6 minutes ago, Gino Gino Gino said:

A little.  I love Miller, but we are not a contending team and we should finally learn not to give a 30yo a big contract.   The only way I see keeping Miller as making sense is if you feel we have a legitimate shot at the cup in the next year and a half or if he is open to a short term contract.  

For me it all boils down to July 1st 2021...Contact JT and ask what his wants are for term and $$$, if he wants near max term AND 8m plus then we have to trade that asset by next years TDL to HELP the team long term. It would be SHORTSIGHTED to keep JT and then see him join the cast of former Canucks to walk away for nothing...bringing nothing back in return, but OH WAIT, the players got to play competitive hockey!?!? Ya...PARTICIPATION ribbons don't win you a Stanley Cup sorr folks, these millionaire athletes need to figure it out without the team being CAP STRAPPED with older players on long term deals!

I wouldn't mind this deal if Carolina throws in a 1st round pick.  

Kotkaniemi is not going to be qualified by Carolina or whichever team acquires him.  You're looking at a free agent unless his agent has a backdoor deal with the Hurricanes to sign a cheap extension because of all the extra money they gave him already. 

46 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Don't take it personally but...are you nuts?   :lol:

Miller's a proven warrior and Kotkaniemi's a kid with less than 30 games under his belt.  I say no.

What?  Kotkaniemi’s a 21 year old who already  has 200 nhl games.  He’s not worth $6.1m but he’s not some scrub either 

• Cheers 2

41 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

What?  Kotkaniemi’s a 21 year old who already  has 200 nhl games.  He’s not worth $6.1m but he’s not some scrub either 

OK, I got bad information (I didn't think it seemed right).  Knew I shouldn't have gone drinking with Alf at 5 am.

(still no)

• Huggy Bear 1
  • RoughGame 1

51 minutes ago, Gino Gino Gino said:

He is 200 lbs, 21 yo with 200 NHL games under his belt and lots of room for growth.  

And along with paying a 1st and 3rd round pick, another reason it’s highly unlikely they move him. 

Edited by Pears
  • Upvote 1