The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Wild - Canucks Miller moved

1 hour ago, Rabbit said:

I think Miller is an important piece for Canucks currently.

Have no interest for such trade.

Of course he’s an important piece. But you gotta give to get something of value in return. 

How are we addressing our RHD situation? Or our 3rd line centre that we thought Dickinson would be, but has been an abject failure at this season? 

Miller is 28 right now. His contract is up in 1.5 years, and he’ll be about 30 years old when he’s a UFA and up for a new contract. We’ve signed Ericsson to 6 year deal, and that bit us in the ass. We’ve signed Myers to another 6 years, and that has been so so. Can we confidently say that Miller will be good in 4 years down the road, assuming that he’s getting 6 years. I don’t know what the max is for term in the NHL, but if it’s more than 6 years, we’re in trouble me thinks. 

Offense in most players usually go to die in their thirties. I’d sign Miller for 3-4 years at 7-7.5M no problemo. Only problem is that Miller ain’t signing a deal like that. This is his last contract, and these are his last years. Miller’s intense. I wonder as well if his body is going to hold up to the way he plays. He blocks shots, he PK’s, he plays on the PP - all great. But that leads to a deterioration of the body. If he produces at 40-45 points while earning 7-8M. What kind of albatross contract is that going to be for the team? And how are we going to unload that? Giving away yet another first round pick to another team to take our problems off our own hands? 

I mean, the alternative is that we could cash in on Miller, and move on.

• Cheers 1

On 12/23/2021 at 11:45 PM, mll said:

Can't see either team being interested.

The Wild are still in a rebuild mindset - ever since he got to Minnesota, Guerin has been trying to acquire more draft picks.  He's made only one trade that was not a hockey trade and he didn't even have to give up the 7th round pick after all.  Otherwise it's only been about acquiring more picks or swapping players for others.  Can't see them giving up futures or key players/prospects for their future.

They will have 13M-15M in dead cap for the next 3 seasons - he didn't even bother to try and trade Suter or Parise and just bought them out.  Seems a bit unrealistic to think they can contend while operating 15M below the cap from other teams.  Their roster is still flawed and Guerin's mandate is to build a perennial contender -  not a one and done team.  They've done that under Fletcher and ownership is fed up of participation medals.

While you state a lot of facts that I can't argue against, you might be underestimating their appetite to improve immediately.  

Bill Guerin comes from Jim Rutherford school of managing and there's not tons of sitting around and waiting. 

4 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

While you state a lot of facts that I can't argue against, you might be underestimating their appetite to improve immediately.  

Bill Guerin comes from Jim Rutherford school of managing and there's not tons of sitting around and waiting. 

He is not going to have much choice. 13 mil or so dead cap for 3 years. Think about how much the Canucks improved while carrying that much dead weight cap. Not much at all.

9 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Pittsburgh were in a win now window - it has always been about winning with Crosby/Malkin.  

The Wild aren't in that situation.  Their roster is still quite flawed despite their record.  Guerin went ahead with those buyouts because he probably didn't see them truly contending before then.  His mandate is to build a perennial elite contender.  It's him that convinced ownership that they have to re-build the right way.

Don't see him deviating from his plan and up to 15M in buyout cost is going to limit them anyway the next 3 seasons.  He says those buyouts were decided 6 to 8 months before they were executed and that there's a plan.  It wasn't a late minute decision.

Edited by mll

On 12/24/2021 at 8:17 AM, Coconuts said:

Yes, because hockey is so black and white. If we're out of the mix come deadline time it won't matter if we're a better team with him or not, can't chase a cup if you can't make the playoffs. We ain't contenders yet anyway, as of right now we're a fringe playoff team.

As for trauma, sure, whatever you say. Our RD will need replacing sooner than later for one. Myers will be 32 in February, 34 by the time his deal is up. How much longer he can be a top 4D remains to be seen, and we'll need to make a decision on him sooner than later. Good luck replacing Hamonic for 3M or less, top 4D don't come that cheap. There are other cap implications and that's been beaten to death throughout other threads.

Trading Miller doesn't have to just make us worse either, sometimes you've got to take from a perceived strength to shore up weaknesses. If Bruce, and the rest of the roster, are as good as you think they'll survive without Miller going forward. We could very well be a more rounded team without him and make the playoffs next season. Moving him isn't committing to a rebuild.

We need a lot of things to go right to make it; we need to win most of our divisional games, we need to stay healthy, we need to win at a hectic pace, and we need the teams we're chasing to lose. We're a Demko or Hughes injury away from being in big trouble, odds are still against us. 

If we're out of it come deadline time he absolutely should be on the table. And yes, picks and futures could still help us.

There's a step between rebuilding and contending called "making the playoffs". Minny is currently at the top of the west, meaning end of round picks. We'd be lucky if those picks step on NHL ice in 2 to 4 years. At some point you need to start trying to compete for the playoiffs. Trading one of your best centers, with another year on his contract, doesn't help in making that step. With the amount of quality youth on the roster it's time to move forward rather than backwards.

Typically at the deadline, if out of the playoff picture, you move pending UFA's you don't plan on re-signing. The pending UFA's are Chaison, Hunt, Motte,Di giuseppe, and Halak. I don't see any first round picks coming back for them. The one and only reason I can see to trade a top 6 forward, who isn't a pending UFA, is to add a top four right d-man who is also under contract beyond this season, or at very least, a pending RFA. Even then I'd be more likely to put Boeser on the table rather than a guy as versatile as Miller. Miller is a Swiss army knife player - center, wing, productive, key faceoffs, physical, PP and PK. It would be a big step backwards moving Miller.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

There's a step between rebuilding and contending called "making the playoffs". Minny is currently at the top of the west, meaning end of round picks. We'd be lucky if those picks step on NHL ice in 2 to 4 years. At some point you need to start trying to compete for the playoiffs. Trading one of your best centers, with another year on his contract, doesn't help in making that step. With the amount of quality youth on the roster it's time to move forward rather than backwards.

Typically at the deadline, if out of the playoff picture, you move pending UFA's you don't plan on re-signing. The pending UFA's are Chaison, Hunt, Motte,Di giuseppe, and Halak. I don't see any first round picks coming back for them. The one and only reason I can see to trade a top 6 forward, who isn't a pending UFA, is to add a top four right d-man who is also under contract beyond this season, or at very least, a pending RFA. Even then I'd be more likely to put Boeser on the table rather than a guy as versatile as Miller. Miller is a Swiss army knife player - center, wing, productive, key faceoffs, physical, PP and PK. It would be a big step backwards moving Miller.

For the record, I haven't been advocating for a trade with Minnesota so I don't particularly care where those picks end up or what comes of them. But I do, and will continue to, advocate for moving him in general. If you don't agree that's fine, that's your choice.

As for making thr playoffs, we're still a long shot to make it this season so if we're looking to be out of it come deadline time it doesn't particularly matter if we're better with Miller or not. 

As for moving forward instead of back, moving Miller doesn't have to be a step back. There are holes in our roster and if the current roster's strength is anything it's the forwards. Gotta give to get in this league, and sometimes that requires whittling away at strengths to shore up weaknesses. 

What a Miller trade ends up being depends on the return, I see no reason why we couldn't be competitive without him. If we really view Pettersson as a center him and Bo ad our top two should be fine if we can shore up our defense and bottom six. Gotta give to get.

As for Boeser, I'd keep him over Miller because of his age and historical production. He didn't start the season well but he's picked it up under Boudreau and given his history I don't see why he shouldn't continue to produce. He's fine as a top six complimentary winger. 

Doesn't matter if he's a Swiss army knife, bring in a legit 3c to take draws and slot other guys in on the PK. Teams lose players every year and keep going. We live and die on the back of Demko, not Miller.

Trading Miller doesn't have to be committing to a rebuild or to giving up on competing. If anything it could lead to a more well rounded roster, a Miller trade doesn't have to happen in a vacuum. There can, and likely would be, other moves.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/24/2021 at 12:08 AM, FaninMex said:

CDC and their need for draft picks.

We are trying to win not rebuild. We do not need picks

We need picks. There are holes up and down the lineup. We need more 1st rounders and more top tier young guys. 

We are no where close to winning. We are a bottom 10 team right now.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

We need picks. There are holes up and down the lineup. We need more 1st rounders and more top tier young guys. 

We are no where close to winning. We are a bottom 10 team right now.  

Patience. Play more games. The holes on D have not looked so glaring with BB.

22 hours ago, Coconuts said:

For the record, I haven't been advocating for a trade with Minnesota so I don't particularly care where those picks end up or what comes of them. But I do, and will continue to, advocate for moving him in general. If you don't agree that's fine, that's your choice.

As for making thr playoffs, we're still a long shot to make it this season so if we're looking to be out of it come deadline time it doesn't particularly matter if we're better with Miller or not. 

As for moving forward instead of back, moving Miller doesn't have to be a step back. There are holes in our roster and if the current roster's strength is anything it's the forwards. Gotta give to get in this league, and sometimes that requires whittling away at strengths to shore up weaknesses. 

What a Miller trade ends up being depends on the return, I see no reason why we couldn't be competitive without him. If we really view Pettersson as a center him and Bo ad our top two should be fine if we can shore up our defense and bottom six. Gotta give to get.

As for Boeser, I'd keep him over Miller because of his age and historical production. He didn't start the season well but he's picked it up under Boudreau and given his history I don't see why he shouldn't continue to produce. He's fine as a top six complimentary winger. 

Doesn't matter if he's a Swiss army knife, bring in a legit 3c to take draws and slot other guys in on the PK. Teams lose players every year and keep going. We live and die on the back of Demko, not Miller.

Trading Miller doesn't have to be committing to a rebuild or to giving up on competing. If anything it could lead to a more well rounded roster, a Miller trade doesn't have to happen in a vacuum. There can, and likely would be, other moves.

The only reason to move Miller this year would be to improve the team now. Coming out of a rebuild you don't trade a high quality player, that's not a pending UFA, for iffy futures. That only delays coming out of the rebuild. Unless moving Miller addresses a need now I wouldn't even consider moving him. Once the season is over they can talk extension on his contract. At that time they can decide whether to extend him or trade him, and they won't be limited to playoff teams on a trade in the offseason. It just doesn't make any sense at all to trade him at this deadline for futures. It's time to move forwards not backwards.

14 minutes ago, Baggins said:

The only reason to move Miller this year would be to improve the team now. Coming out of a rebuild you don't trade a high quality player, that's not a pending UFA, for iffy futures. That only delays coming out of the rebuild. Unless moving Miller addresses a need now I wouldn't even consider moving him. Once the season is over they can talk extension on his contract. At that time they can decide whether to extend him or trade him, and they won't be limited to playoff teams on a trade in the offseason. It just doesn't make any sense at all to trade him at this deadline for futures. It's time to move forwards not backwards.

depends on the package offered tho doesn't it? if some GM is desperate to overpay its hard to say no.

• Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, JM_ said:

depends on the package offered tho doesn't it? if some GM is desperate to overpay its hard to say no.

Any player is expendable if the paying price is ridiculous. But how often does that actually happen at the trade deadline? And how often is it high quality player still under contract for another year that's moved? Thirdly, how often is a GM "desperate to overpay"? Again, this team is coming out of a rebuild. It's not the time to trade quality players that are not pending UFA's for iffy draft picks that will be years away from stepping on NHL ice. This is the time you make an actual hockey trade. Moving a position of strength to fill a position of weakness. In our case moving a forward for a proven top 4 right d-man. We do have some depth at forward and we do need a top 4 right side D. Coming out of a rebuild you start addressing current needs rather than weakening the team for more futures. The only reason to move Miller this year is to fill a current need. 

4 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Any player is expendable if the paying price is ridiculous. But how often does that actually happen at the trade deadline? And how often is it high quality player still under contract for another year that's moved? Thirdly, how often is a GM "desperate to overpay"?

not too often. But if someone offers an O'Reilly type package (minus the roster baggage) e.g., a 1st rounder, a 2nd rrounder, and instead of roster guys a C and D prospect I don't know how that doesn't happen. 

4 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Again, this team is coming out of a rebuild. It's not the time to trade quality players that are not pending UFA's for iffy draft picks that will be years away from stepping on NHL ice. This is the time you make an actual hockey trade. Moving a position of strength to fill a position of weakness. In our case moving a forward for a proven top 4 right d-man. We do have some depth at forward and we do need a top 4 right side D. Coming out of a rebuild you start addressing current needs rather than weakening the team for more futures. The only reason to move Miller this year is to fill a current need. 

but don't forget we'd have the cap space that Miller was using. We can go hard after a guy like Klingberg in free agency. Hughes-Klingberg would be one of the best pairs in the league and a big part of the next core.

So we might have to do it a little less directly than Miller for "player X" and if we're lucky re-stock on prospects and use free agency instead. 

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

We'll see whether Rutherford and Co agree with you, that's what'll really matter. Depends on what they view our window as, and whether they see us having a better chance sooner than later. 

I'd prefer to move Miller to bolster the current team, particularity our RD. But I'm open to moving him for assets that free up cap space as well, because flexibility is an asset in itself. I'm fine with not moving Miller for a roster player, assets could be flipped in subsequent trades. Having 5.3M freed up to use in free agency could help too, cap space may not be utilized right away.

As for futures, there are arguments to be made there. Having players stepping in on ELC's is valuable for a team trying to compete, or win it all. Our prospect pool, while having some decent prospects, has begun to look shallow. Trading back to back 1sts, while helping the roster, hasn't helped the pool. And the pool matters, it's a balancing/juggling act. Futures don't have to be picks either, they could be top prospects that are easier to assess than draft eligible players.

I will say this though, if they move Miller they absolutely need to get it right. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

23 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Good post Cocoa Nucks!

You finally omitted the old "If Gretzky (spit, spit) can get traded, anybody can" saw.

This adage requires context to be relevant because it was a completely different contract era, and The Whiner was on a personal services contract not a standard players contract (as the players are now).

Pocklington bought "Wayne Gretzky" (even The Whiner referred to Himself (sarcasm) in the third person in interviews as, "Wayne Gretzky" (as in, "I had to do what was best for Wayne Gretzky" at the time he was sold to LA, complete with fake tears).

Peter then sold Wayne Gretzky (the product) to that crooked sports card dealer who went to jail for fraud, Bruce Somebody.

No player has had a contract like that since.

And all of this was long before the salary cap.

Now if you said, "If Bobby Orr could be traded (he was, and Cherry lost his Marchand at Sinden, I think it was, who traded him to Chicago), then blah, blah, blah" it would be more relevant, but still before the cap.

As JM says, "'context', it's relevant".

Personally, I do not want to trade Miller, but am on board with whatever our new management decides.

Let's, Gitter Dun!  Whatever it takes!  To Win The Stanley Cup!  Go JR Go!

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, JM_ said:

not too often. But if someone offers an O'Reilly type package (minus the roster baggage) e.g., a 1st rounder, a 2nd rrounder, and instead of roster guys a C and D prospect I don't know how that doesn't happen. 

but don't forget we'd have the cap space that Miller was using. We can go hard after a guy like Klingberg in free agency. Hughes-Klingberg would be one of the best pairs in the league and a big part of the next core.

So we might have to do it a little less directly than Miller for "player X" and if we're lucky re-stock on prospects and use free agency instead. 

I just don't see Miller being moved this season for what if's. The team is in position now to add not subtract. There is absolutely no reason to move Miller this year for futures. moving him only becomes a logical option if he can't be extended. Which would be after this season. Then he'd be a moveable asset anytime from June through next season. It's not like his value is going to diminsh between the trade deadline and summer. Or even early next season. The priority in moving a quality forward should be on filling a need now rather than looking to iffy futures. There's too much quality youth on the team not to look towards immediate improvements rather than futures. If you want to maximize the window for our current youth the improvements need to come sooner rather than later.

It's pointless even looking at free agency during the season. Too many get re-signed towards the end of the season or between end of season and free agency. You can't plan on who will be available unless a player says publicly ahead of time, as Karlsson did in Ottawa, that he doesn't intend to re-sign and has a desire to test the UFA market. Otherwise you simply cannot plan on who will be available July 1st or if they'd even have interest in signing with your team without backing up the money truck and grossly overpaying. That's just hopes, dreams, and wishful thinking.

18 minutes ago, Baggins said:

I just don't see Miller being moved this season for what if's. The team is in position now to add not subtract. There is absolutely no reason to move Miller this year for futures. moving him only becomes a logical option if he can't be extended. Which would be after this season. Then he'd be a moveable asset anytime from June through next season. It's not like his value is going to diminsh between the trade deadline and summer. Or even early next season. The priority in moving a quality forward should be on filling a need now rather than looking to iffy futures. There's too much quality youth on the team not to look towards immediate improvements rather than futures. If you want to maximize the window for our current youth the improvements need to come sooner rather than later.

It's pointless even looking at free agency during the season. Too many get re-signed towards the end of the season or between end of season and free agency. You can't plan on who will be available unless a player says publicly ahead of time, as Karlsson did in Ottawa, that he doesn't intend to re-sign and has a desire to test the UFA market. Otherwise you simply cannot plan on who will be available July 1st or if they'd even have interest in signing with your team without backing up the money truck and grossly overpaying. That's just hopes, dreams, and wishful thinking.

We've won six in a row and we're still chasing .500, where we are could be quite different than where we are leading up to the deadline. Winning streaks don't last forever, and there will be losing too. Where we are right now isn't what really matters. If we're out of it, and there's still a good chance we are, there are many potential reasons to move him for, especially if teams come knocking willing to pay. 

As for his value, it's likely it would actually diminish between the deadline and summer. Miller will likely never be more valuable to the Canucks than he will be leading up to the deadline because any team acquiring him would get him for two seasons/playoff runs at 5.25M as opposed to one. He's manageable for a lot of teams at 5.25, and that extra season does add value for a team trying to maximize their shots at going deep/their window. 

Quality youth up front, we've got extremely little in the way of viable D prospects ready to step in sooner than later. Hughes is the sole young top 4D. We've got Woo, Rathbone, and little else. Myers will be 32 in a couple months, 34 by the time he deal is up. Hamonic will be 32 before next season even begins, and he's only got a season left on his deal. We'll need to be making decisions on our RD sooner than later. We likely won't get a top 4 guy to replace Hamonic for the 3M he's making either. Getting younger on D, and figuring out who to bring in/retain is going to be important sooner than later. 

As for UFA, it absolutely is a crapshoot, but players make it to UFA every season. Who'll be there and who'll be actually interested in signing with us is impossible to know at this point, but being a team with cap space gives you a shot. Could utilize it to acquire a player from another team too, but being capped out makes signing UFA's or bringing in players trickier to do. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Baggins said:

well, you do need some what if's to keep windows open tho. And you need to have the cap ready in free agency to land the best players. We've seen with Benning how handcuffing us cap-wise leaves us unable to either re-sign or land better players. So going into the UFA season with some room isn't what worst plan ever. 

I get what you're saying but I think Miller would have more value to teams being locked up for 1 more year at a great cap hit. 

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

We've won six in a row and we're still chasing .500, where we are could be quite different than where we are leading up to the deadline. Winning streaks don't last forever, and there will be losing too. Where we are right now isn't what really matters. If we're out of it, and there's still a good chance we are, there are many potential reasons to move him for, especially if teams come knocking willing to pay. 

As for his value, it's likely it would actually diminish between the deadline and summer. Miller will likely never be more valuable to the Canucks than he will be leading up to the deadline because any team acquiring him would get him for two seasons/playoff runs at 5.25M as opposed to one. He's manageable for a lot of teams at 5.25, and that extra season does add value for a team trying to maximize their shots at going deep/their window. 

Quality youth up front, we've got extremely little in the way of viable D prospects ready to step in sooner than later. Hughes is the sole young top 4D. We've got Woo, Rathbone, and little else. Myers will be 32 in a couple months, 34 by the time he deal is up. Hamonic will be 32 before next season even begins, and he's only got a season left on his deal. We'll need to be making decisions on our RD sooner than later. We likely won't get a top 4 guy to replace Hamonic for the 3M he's making either. Getting younger on D, and figuring out who to bring in/retain is going to be important sooner than later. 

As for UFA, it absolutely is a crapshoot, but players make it to UFA every season. Who'll be there and who'll be actually interested in signing with us is impossible to know at this point, but being a team with cap space gives you a shot. Could utilize it to acquire a player from another team too, but being capped out makes signing UFA's or bringing in players trickier to do. 

We're not far out of a playoff spot with a whole lot of games still to be played. Regardless, this isn't the time to move Miller for picks/prospects. Period. It weakens the team for no reason. A trade to immdeiately address a need, sure. That's a hockey trade. This is not the time to move backwards. Both Horvat and Pettersson have said they are tired of losing. Would taking a step backwards push them towards demanding a trade? Horvat turns 27 by end of season. Do you think he cares about trading for pieces that "might" make the team in 2 to 4 years? He's at the age he would want an open window on the horizon rather many years down the road. This team isn't that far off. Taking a step backwards at this point would be foolish. 

52 minutes ago, JM_ said:

well, you do need some what if's to keep windows open tho. And you need to have the cap ready in free agency to land the best players. We've seen with Benning how handcuffing us cap-wise leaves us unable to either re-sign or land better players. So going into the UFA season with some room isn't what worst plan ever. 

I get what you're saying but I think Miller would have more value to teams being locked up for 1 more year at a great cap hit. 

We already have a supply of what if's. Weakening the team by trading one of your best players to add a few more what if's when coming out of a rebuild is utterly foolish. We are on our way out of rebuilding. It's obvious this team isn't far off.

Miller will still have a full year after the season is over. Trading for what if's during this season seems like hitting the lets just roll over and die panic button. Taking a step backwards for maybe's years down the road. It sends the wrong message to players if it's not a trade to fill a real need now and actually improve the team. Bo turns 27 this season. Will he want to stick around if the team takes a big step backwards?

2 hours ago, Baggins said:

We already have a supply of what if's. Weakening the team by trading one of your best players to add a few more what if's when coming out of a rebuild is utterly foolish. We are on our way out of rebuilding. It's obvious this team isn't far off.

Miller will still have a full year after the season is over. Trading for what if's during this season seems like hitting the lets just roll over and die panic button. Taking a step backwards for maybe's years down the road. It sends the wrong message to players if it's not a trade to fill a real need now and actually improve the team. Bo turns 27 this season. Will he want to stick around if the team takes a big step backwards?

well, if its not trading Miller, how do we upgrade our prospect and defence?