The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Taxi Squads Again - What do Canucks do?

Rate this topic

Provost

Taxi squads of up to 6 players allowed again.

Different situation now with the farm team located right near us.

How do we think I they will manage it?  Take a taxi squad on the road but let the kids play games in Abby when both teams are at home?  

All our best prospects are guys we want playing significant minutes for their development, I don’t like the idea of another season of little game time.

Maybe a bunch of fringe older “veterans” like Sautner will be sitting on the Canucks  collecting NHL paycheques?

• Cheers 1

Keep Klimovich in the Abbotsford so he can play the big minutes. Bring up guys like Dries and Di Giussepe onto the taxi squad.

I would like to see what Rathbone can do under Boudreau, but if the coaching staff does not play Rathbone as a regular, I would rather keep him down in Abottsford to develop his game as well.

I think next year we will see Klimovich and Rathbone in the NHL as regulars.

• Cheers 1

Should be an advantage having the farm team in Abby. 
Preferrably leave youngsters in Abby to get the minutes needed. Need these kids to play as much as possible, if they are going to have a realistic chance to become regulars on the main team. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

9 minutes ago, GB5 said:

I think the goalie should be Spencer Martin. He has played a few NHL games and at 26 is not really a developing prospect anymore but can fill in as a backp if needed. 

Let Dipietro play as much as possible in the AHL this year.

Abbotsford probably doesn't want to lose Martin. He's started in 4 of the last 6 games and is undefeated in regulation. Check my post above.

9 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

The question that I’m asking is, do the Canucks need a Taxi squad with our farm team an hour drive away?

Well we go on the road, as does the farm team…. So ya… we need a taxi squad.

As mentioned in the OP, maybe they take guys on the road but let them play when both teams are in town together… or maybe they don’t do that as it could increase the chance of exposing both teams.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Provost said:

To me DiPietro, Rathbone, and Klimovich are the ones that need to be playing every day in the minors.

I absolutely agree with this as well. Those young men need to be playing as much as possible. DiPietro has already lost a year during the pandemic when he barely played. He cannot have another season like that again. 

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Please don't bring Dipietro on the taxi squad. I want him playing big games and many games in Abbotsford this year.

Yep. Agreed. He needs to be playing in as many games as possible. Having him on the taxi squad would actually, in my opinion, be detrimental to his development. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

The question that I’m asking is, do the Canucks need a Taxi squad with our farm team an hour drive away?

For home games, no problem of course. 

But what happens when we’re on the road? 

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

We should be fine, we have more options to choose from.

For D 2-3 of of Saunter, Hunt, Bowey, Juulsen, Brisebois

For FWD 2-3 of Dowling, Bailey, Di Giuseppe, Petan.

For G 1 of Silovs/Martin.

Martin has been playing really well in Abbotsford. 5-0-1 record with a .930% save percentage and a 1.98 GAA. Abbotsford might want to keep him around since he's been out performing DiPietro as of late. Martin has started 4 of the last six games and DiPietro got pulled in one of those games Martin didn't dress with Silovs coming in relief. DiPietro played well in his last outing though with Martin backing him up.

Silovs is the odd man out and the youngest of the 3 goalies so we can be a little more patient. He's only hasn't started for a while and his last playtime was in relief of DiPietro. Still signed for 3 years on ELC. Probably would bring him up for start and get him time with Clarke who was high on him when he was drafted. Rotate goalies when DiPietro or Martin struggle and call up the struggling G for some Clarky time.

I wonder what the status of Highmore, Sutter and Keeper are moving forward. If Sutter and Highmore came back soon that's a bottom 6 C and 13th forward right there. Youngsters cooking in the AHL are gonna get more responsibility and playtime.

That’s great hearing Martin playing so well. But he’s not the goalie the Canucks are attempting to develop. That is DiPietro. And he needs to play as much as possible for Abby. 

With respect to Sutter. I honestly don’t think he’s coming back at all this season. I think retirement is probably on the horizon for the man. I feel bad for him. Highmore, who knows. He’s good depth on the team, and we could use his energy. I’m not sure if he was killing penalties before he got injured. 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

That’s great hearing Martin playing so well. But he’s not the goalie the Canucks are attempting to develop. That is DiPietro. And he needs to play as much as possible for Abby. 

With respect to Sutter. I honestly don’t think he’s coming back at all this season. I think retirement is probably on the horizon for the man. I feel bad for him. Highmore, who knows. He’s good depth on the team, and we could use his energy. I’m not sure if he was killing penalties before he got injured. 

Yeah but Abbotsford is in the playoff hunt and they seem to be doing so with him 5-0-1 .930 save percentage and 1.98 goals against. He has started 4 of the last 6 games. DiPietro has only started 2 of the last 6 and got the hook in one of them.

We wouldn't be calling up DiPietro, we have 3 goalies under contract in the AHL. Silovs is under contract on his first year of his ELC and has been the 3rd string for Abbotsford as of late. He hasn't started in a while and his last action was when DiPietro got pulled. Clarke is high on him and can get 1 on 1 time with him. You can always rotate goalies too when one is struggling in the AHL and bring him up for 1 on 1 time with Clarke.

• Vintage 2