The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Doing Minni a Brock solid [Proposal]

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It's not, but Minnesota is high on those players and it's unlikely they're moved. Plus, they'd be moving known quantities for an unknown trade return going forward, if they like their young guys it makes more sense to keep them. 

Faila's also going to be 26 before next season begins, and will require term and dollars as a pending RFA. Honestly, given the production of both players we'd probably be better off extending Brock who's outproduced him and who's a year younger. Assuming we can negotiate a reasonable deal.  

They play with very different calibre of linemates.  Boeser plays primarily with Miller who is a ppg player.

Fiala plays with Gaudreau who at 28 only had ~100 NHL games before being signed by the Wild.  Gaudreau was a marginal 4th liner / 13th F for Pittsburgh last season.  In Minnesota he has pretty much been tied to Fiala and plays nearly 17 minutes a game in an offensive role - only has 10pts on the season.  Fiala is so often the one that draws the short string in terms of linemates.  The Wild are short a forward on the road and a D needs to play up front - obviously on Fiala's line.  

Fiala is completely snake bitten this season but generates offence at a significantly better pace than Boeser and can drive his own line.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

Yall come into the proposals section quite often to poo poo others ideas often correctly. And while I really appreciate both of you're insight I don't ever see you put forth any of your own ideas. 

I'm curious @mll @Coconuts you got any bright ideas or do you solely come here to critique? You seem like intelligent hockey fans. Would love to read one of your well thought out proposals some time. 

Also curious if you have ever read a proposal you liked?

In all my years on CDC I've made like.. maybe ten topics? I think I've made like one this year? It just ain't how I approach forums, I'm good for maybe one a year? My ideas come via posts in other people's topics. 

Like I mentioned earlier I'd prioritize trying to make a deal with New York, the Rangers drafted Miller are would be familiar with him. Given their embracing a rebuild a few years back they've also got a better prospect pool than us, and thanks to their winning multiple lotteries they could probably afford to move out some of their prospects to compete now. They've also got 5.7M in open cap space which is more than enough for Miller, and the only pending players they've got that'll require decent money are Strome and maybe Kaako. But given Kaako's production this far he'll probably get a bridge or a deal on the smaller side. They've been rumoured to want to move Strome in the past, I wouldn't be shocked if he walks via UFA. Miller would be an upgrade who'd cost less in the short term, and Strome would require a raise on his current 4.5M anyway. 

I'd try and nab a RD prospect in Schneider and more. If you look at the age of their top players it makes sense for the Rangers to be serious about pushing for the playoffs sooner than later. Particularly while they've still got guys on ELC's. https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/rangers

As for proposals I like, probably. But no, I don't usually agree with proposals here, and most people don't seem to. Sometimes I'll agree with the targets, but making a proposal that works for both teams is a tricky thing to do. Sometimes someone will make a proposal that I'd probably go for, but that I don't think the other side would. 

13 minutes ago, mll said:

They play with very different calibre of linemates.  Boeser plays primarily with Miller who is a ppg player.

Fiala plays with Gaudreau who at 28 only had ~100 NHL games before being signed by the Wild.  Gaudreau was a marginal 4th liner / 13th F for Pittsburgh last season.  In Minnesota he has pretty much been tied to Fiala and plays nearly 17 minutes a game in an offensive role - only has 10pts on the season.  Fiala is so often the one that draws the short string in terms of linemates.  The Wild are short a forward on the road and a D needs to play up front - obviously on Fiala's line.  

Fiala is completely snake bitten this season but generates offence at a significantly better pace than Boeser and can drive his own line.  

If that's the case wouldn't Minnesota be better off retaining him? 

The caveat to trading with New York though is that Fox's new deal will be kicking in next season, if anything scuttles my idea it'd be that. Proposals are tough. 

We'd have to retain 50% and likely take cap back to have any chance of it happening. 

Edited by Coconuts

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

They can't really afford him with the increase in those buyouts for the next coming 3 seasons.  He is also a high risk / high reward player and can drive Evason crazy at times - just feels like he is the odd man out.  

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

How? I would expect an extension to be roughly 6m possibly more. I think he's worth it I just don't see how they can do it.

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

In all my years on CDC I've made like.. maybe ten topics? I think I've made like one this year? It just ain't how I approach forums, I'm good for maybe one a year? My ideas come via posts in other people's topics. 

Like I mentioned earlier I'd prioritize trying to make a deal with New York, the Rangers drafted Miller are would be familiar with him. Given their embracing a rebuild a few years back they've also got a better prospect pool than us, and thanks to their winning multiple lotteries they could probably afford to move out some of their prospects to compete now. They've also got 5.7M in open cap space which is more than enough for Miller, and the only pending players they've got that'll require decent money are Strome and maybe Kaako. But given Kaako's production this far he'll probably get a bridge or a deal on the smaller side. They've been rumoured to want to move Strome in the past, I wouldn't be shocked if he walks via UFA. Miller would be an upgrade who'd cost less in the short term, and Strome would require a raise on his current 4.5M anyway. 

I'd try and nab a RD prospect in Schneider and more. If you look at the age of their top players it makes sense for the Rangers to be serious about pushing for the playoffs sooner than later. Particularly while they've still got guys on ELC's. https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/rangers

As for proposals I like, probably. But no, I don't usually agree with proposals here, and most people don't seem to. Sometimes I'll agree with the targets, but making a proposal that works for both teams is a tricky thing to do. Sometimes someone will make a proposal that I'd probably go for, but that I don't think the other side would. 

Sure the Miller for B Schnider thing has been beaten to death here on CDC nice and safe nothing original there. I'd be for a deal revolving around those 2. Can't make coconut curry without a lil spice though. Mister I don't make threads I only critique others. Live a lil you're a smart fella spice up the forum a lil with some of your own ideas. 

Here I'll go first. So you wanna make a trade with the Rags schnider is a non starter for them...... How about 

to Rags

Jack Rathbone has history with Fox good depth for them would suspect Fox would vouch for him. Redundant here. 

To Canucks

Will Cuylle Big nasty boy scores goals in the paint redundant there. Not really lighting up JR's though in his D+2 in a way that would project him as a high cieling player. With the loss of Zack and Gadj we could use him in the system. 

35 minutes ago, mll said:

They can't really afford him with the increase in those buyouts for the next coming 3 seasons.  He is also a high risk / high reward player and can drive Evason crazy at times - just feels like he is the odd man out.  

20 minutes ago, hammertime said:

How? I would expect an extension to be roughly 6m possibly more. I think he's worth it I just don't see how they can do it.

Sure the Miller for B Schnider thing has been beaten to death here on CDC nice and safe nothing original there. I'd be for a deal revolving around those 2. Can't make coconut curry without a lil spice though. Mister I don't make threads I only critique others. Live a lil you're a smart fella spice up the forum a lil with some of your own ideas. 

Here I'll go first. So you wanna make a trade with the Rags schnider is a non starter for them...... How about 

to Rags

Jack Rathbone has history with Fox good depth for them would suspect Fox would vouch for him. Redundant here. 

To Canucks

Will Cuylle Big nasty boy scores goals in the paint redundant there. Not really lighting up JR's though in his D+2 in a way that would project him as a high cieling player. With the loss of Zack and Gadj we could use him in the system. 

Fair enough, so they can't afford him. 

As for Cuylle, I'm by no means and expert when it comes to other teams players/prospects so I couldn't give much input. I don't play GM games, or dabble in hockey pools, I keep an eye on the league and the moves that take place but I don't really track other teams all that closely. 

Sure, I critique threads while not making my own, I'm far from alone there. One thing I can say is that Rutherford has a reputation for making fair deals, so I'd be surprised if any deal involving Boeser or Miller would be a home run. Making fair deals is what's allowed him to make so many trades, if you're always trying to win them you won't make very many. 

I'm all for moving Miller, I'm not opposed to moving Boeser depending on what he wants in a deal. We don't want him going to arbitration and we're not a team who can afford to lose our more valuable assets for nothing. Moving Rathbone would be fine, he's unlikely to climb the depth chart with Hughes and OEL in his way. I don't see us as contenders, and I'd rather have a longer competitive window than a shorter one going forward. 

Maybe something around Miller to Anaheim? Getzlaf isn't getting any younger and Miller could slot in as a top 6 center. They've got plenty of players to re-sign but Kesler comes off the books after this season. Zegras is promising but I dunno if I'd be rushing him into a 1c role as a rookie or sophomore. Not sure what I'd want from Anaheim though. 

Imo, the only thing that makes BB a good fit is he'd be the hometown kid.

Other then that, I don't see Minny jumping over the moon to go after him.

I do, however, see JTM as a great fit there.

A versatile, mature, ready to win now, forward who brings a massive upgrade to their forward core.

Given that most teams who consider themselves contenders don't have a glut of open cap space we'd probably have to retain, but that could bring in additional value. 2.7M for another season after this one would be fine. The Luongo recapture coming off the books would be enough.

Maybe something involving Boston? Marchand and Bergeron are approaching the twilight of their careers and losing Krejci hurt them. Maybe they'd go in on Miller to take a crack at going deep? Wouldn't be surprised to see Bergeron take a discount if he continues playing, and if he retires they'll need a replacement center anyway. Could see Miller extending in Boston. 

Edited by Coconuts

22 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Making fair deals is what's allowed him to make so many trades, if you're always trying to win them you won't make very many. 

Maybe something around Miller to Anaheim? Getzlaf isn't getting any younger and Miller could slot in as a top 6 center. They've got plenty of players to re-sign but Kesler comes off the books after this season. Zegras is promising but I dunno if I'd be rushing him into a 1c role as a rookie or sophomore. Not sure what I'd want from Anaheim though. 

That's what killed MG. Nobody wanted to pick up the phone to make a deal with him because he was only looking to take advantage. 

I'm gonna seem like a hypocrite here but I don't see this as the year for Anaheim to go all in. Their re build is well under way they only have 7 players signed through next year. They have some good young players they are building around and they need their picks they are crushing it at the draft. I would just like to take a second to really admire their drafting.

Zellweger, Drysdale, Larsson, Zegras, Comtois, Mctavish, Lundestrom, Pastujov, Tracy, Steel, BOG, Perrault, Jones, Mahura off the top of my head I'm probably missing a few. 

They don't need to sell assets to go in this year their future looks disgustingly bright. 

15 minutes ago, hammertime said:

That's what killed MG. Nobody wanted to pick up the phone to make a deal with him because he was only looking to take advantage. 

I'm gonna seem like a hypocrite here but I don't see this as the year for Anaheim to go all in. Their re build is well under way they only have 7 players signed through next year. They have some good young players they are building around and they need their picks they are crushing it at the draft. I would just like to take a second to really admire their drafting.

Zellweger, Drysdale, Larsson, Zegras, Comtois, Mctavish, Lundestrom, Pastujov, Tracy, Steel, BOG, Perrault, Jones, Mahura off the top of my head I'm probably missing a few. 

They don't need to sell assets to go in this year their future looks disgustingly bright. 

Yup, you're absolutely right about MG

I do agree that this isn't the time for Anaheim to go in, but that's not how I'd be looking at a Miller trade

Getzlaf is what.. 36? They don't have a gluten of top 6 center's, and Getzlaf won't be enough much longer. It'd be more about insulating their toung talent imo.

They don't need to sell, they could stay the course, but they could use a guy to step in as a top 6 center too.

It'd come down to the price for Miller I think, but maybe there could be something there.

I'll admit that it's unlikely though, divisional trades of that magnitude don't happen much.

• Cheers 1