The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver Bans Single Use Plastic Bags On January 1, 2022

DonLever

2 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

I've had family work their for decades and it all comes to an end at the end of this month...big loss for the community, but I am surprised it lasted this long to be honest

If the whole province went to paper grocery bags, we could get that Powell River paper plant to make them all, no?  

18 hours ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Any reduction in plastic shopping bags in the environment is a good thing. We were much better off when people used paper bags for everything. 

Yes, every little bit helps, but plastic bags are just a little bit of the real problem.

https://theconversation.com/three-reasons-why-banning-plastic-bags-is-problematic-142671

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

honestly there's a big disconnect between what the city gov't thinks is important and most people. So few people vote in municipal elections that you can get some pretty goofy candidates in there. Stewart is terrible, imo. 

It's how a guy like Gordie "go for a soda":P got elected as Mayor in the past.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

19 hours ago, Alflives said:

Okay, do our plastic bags go from bringing home the groceries to used as a kitchen garbage bag.  I think a lot of people do the same, because the grocery garbage bags fit nicely into a kitchen/bathroom garbage can.  Really, who just throws out their plastic grocery bag?  Very few, right?  These bags are already more than single use.  

So now we will all buy plastic kitchen garbage bags.  Same number of plastic bags will be used.  Why not just gonto paper bags and have those bags made at our local paper mills?  Then st least we are helping the local economy.  

100%

Nothing makes sense anymore. The chiefs making the decisions these days don't have a clue about anything.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

If the whole province went to paper grocery bags, we could get that Powell River paper plant to make them all, no?  

I saw something on Global that said wholesaler was shipping bags from China.

So all the environmental impacts will be just as bad with paper bags because China has terrible environmental record.   Imagine all the trees going to be cut down.

In much of the developing world this is how a drink is often served.

Hand Holding Soft Drink In Plastic Bag With Wat Pho Temple Background  Bangkok, Thailand. Stock Photo, Picture And Royalty Free Image. Image  121412507.

There is no recycling. Both the bag and the plastic straw wind up in the trash. Which often winds up in the ocean.

I guess someone has to go first. But if we all don't make changes across the globe we're not going to make much of a dent.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

I've had family work their for decades and it all comes to an end at the end of this month...big loss for the community, but I am surprised it lasted this long to be honest

People in Powell River would  tell me their mill would never close; I'd take out my birth certificate, show them I was born in Ocean Falls, and mention "never" is a really long time.

I bought 3000grocery bag/plastic bags off of Amazon for $35.00

Those are my trash bags and my litter scooping bags.

I use a reusable bag for my groceries.

Makes literally zero difference to me.

Glad an example is being set.

• Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

My wife and i havent used a plastic bag for groceries in a long time. Unload the cart into the car, unload the car into the kitchen. 

You get used to it. 

Do you use any plastic for your trash?

I don't see paper as a solid garbage bin liner. I suppose if no moisture gets in there, they could work in a stretch. 

Are bio bags that breakdown ok for the environment? We use those when putting our compost out in the big bin.

Anyone know if  shops can still use/offer them?....the 100% biodegradable ones, for groceries etc..

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

I bought 3000grocery bag/plastic bags off of Amazon for $35.00

Those are my trash bags and my litter scooping bags.

I use a reusable bag for my groceries.

Makes literally zero difference to me.

Glad an example is being set.

Are they bio? 

My dog poop bags are...makes no sense for you to be putting cat poop into a plastic bag that doesnt break down, does it?

How are your 3000 plastic amazon bags any different than reusing 3000 plastic bags you would have got from the grocery store?

I don't understand this move. The bags are multi use, being used for the kitchen and bathroom garbages.

Banning the plastic bags from stores just forces people to buy them in bulk elsewhere. Therefore the same amount of plastic is being used. 

Perhaps even more waste overall when you factor in extra paper bags or any other replacement.

I think they should just charge more per bag. Like 25-50 cents. Forces people to think more about just tossing them out without using them for a 2nd use, if that's what they think the problem is. Would probably get me to bring in my own plastic bags (which I already have been doing for 7-11 since they don't give plastic bags anymore)

• Cheers 1

• 11 months later...

So, are single use plastic bags still banned down in Vancouver?

They are still available here in the Okanagan.

My beef is this, why hasn't the government stopped manufacturers from using single use plastic?
Like, so many things are still wrapped in the awful, slice your hand open if you don't use scissors to cut the plastic.  

I just picked up a 6 pack of Canada Dry - why isn't it in a nice cardboard carrier like they used to be???

Instead, it's shrink wrapped in non recyclable single use plastic!

20221215_124548.jpg

• Cheers 1

Another great example of an idea to make people feel like they are making a difference when they aren't making a dent.

If the lower mainland wanted to avoid plastic waste they would incinerate it. The bag at the end of the selling process, as pointed out by others, is but a small portion of the plastic waste.

Just order stuff from Amazon instead of shopping in Vancouver.

On 1/1/2022 at 2:14 PM, nuckin_futz said:

In much of the developing world this is how a drink is often served.

Hand Holding Soft Drink In Plastic Bag With Wat Pho Temple Background  Bangkok, Thailand. Stock Photo, Picture And Royalty Free Image. Image  121412507.

There is no recycling. Both the bag and the plastic straw wind up in the trash. Which often winds up in the ocean.

I guess someone has to go first. But if we all don't make changes across the globe we're not going to make much of a dent.

Canadians are legends in the own minds. If Vancouver bans plastic bags, soon, the world will take notice, and follow our example!

Meanwhile, to the rest of the world, we may have good intentions, but were suckers.