The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A heartwarming story for the first day of 2022

Rate this topic

PetterssonOrPeterson

11 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Not sure if this was posted already in the game day thread but it's such a beautiful story of a person's persistence to help someone out. 

Apparently our team trainer Red Hamilton had a malignant cancer growing on his neck and luckily a fan behind him happened to be a med school student that noticed and alerted him.

She had trouble getting his attention especially in the middle of a loud hockey game but kept trying until she finally got his attention.

Thanks to her, he's fine and cancer free. What a beautiful person to try and help out someone when they saw something concerning.

Anyone could've very easily turned the other cheek, especially considering how it is a complete stranger and how difficult it was to communicate and alert the person.

It's acts like these that restore my faith in humanity.

Here's the full article with a video and photos:

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2022/01/01/soon-to-be-med-student-who-alerted-a-canucks-manager-to-a-malignant-mole-at-an-nhl-game-is-found-through-open-letter.html

That is the story of the year! What a extraordinary person to notice a possible problem and then act on it. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Not sure if this was posted already in the game day thread but it's such a beautiful story of a person's persistence to help someone out. 

Apparently our team trainer Red Hamilton had a malignant cancer growing on his neck and luckily a fan behind him happened to be a med school student that noticed and alerted him.

She had trouble getting his attention especially in the middle of a loud hockey game but kept trying until she finally got his attention.

Thanks to her, he's fine and cancer free. What a beautiful person to try and help out someone when they saw something concerning.

Anyone could've very easily turned the other cheek, especially considering how it is a complete stranger and how difficult it was to communicate and alert the person.

It's acts like these that restore my faith in humanity.

Here's the full article with a video and photos:

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2022/01/01/soon-to-be-med-student-who-alerted-a-canucks-manager-to-a-malignant-mole-at-an-nhl-game-is-found-through-open-letter.html

It was great to hear about for sure. What saddens me is 2 NHL franchise teams COMBINED donated $ for a measly $10,000 towards her medical school. $10k is not chump change for a regular person but for Billionaires running sports teams...they could have easily split paying off all her schooling! 

Heck I bet the Canuck trainer who got the cancer removed would have been willing to pay $10k out of his own pocket for crying out loud! Teams could have written it off too no!?

Either way, good on the medical student for seeing that and telling him about it! Props to her!

31 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

It was great to hear about for sure. What saddens me is 2 NHL franchise teams COMBINED donated $ for a measly $10,000 towards her medical school. $10k is not chump change for a regular person but for Billionaires running sports teams...they could have easily split paying off all her schooling! 

Heck I bet the Canuck trainer who got the cancer removed would have been willing to pay $10k out of his own pocket for crying out loud! Teams could have written it off too no!?

Either way, good on the medical student for seeing that and telling him about it! Props to her!

She has shown it's not about the money for her. You see her reaction to the 10 K she got at the game? She very much appreciated it. What an angel. We need more people like this in the world.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

5k from each is still a nice chunk..its not about the money it's about gratitude and the gesture.. gratitude is the best currency and its becoming extinct in today's society.

• Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

It’s a wonderful act, and great person, for sure. What doesn’t sit entirely well for me is the fact that the Canucks trainer didn’t think to get the growth looked at in the first place. Shouldn’t he be a bit of a novice medical person to start with? And he’s helping the team with their health? If I had a growth on my neck that was visible to people like that, I’d like to think I’d at least inquire with a doctor about it. 
I’m not sure if Canucks swapped up their trainers when they cleaned house recently, but this one does make me scratch my head a wee bit. 

6 minutes ago, Slegr said:

What doesn’t sit entirely well for me is the fact that the Canucks trainer didn’t think to get the growth looked at in the first place

The growth on the back of his neck?

Yah, I wonder how he didn't see that, huh?  :picard:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Slegr said:

It’s a wonderful act, and great person, for sure. What doesn’t sit entirely well for me is the fact that the Canucks trainer didn’t think to get the growth looked at in the first place. Shouldn’t he be a bit of a novice medical person to start with? And he’s helping the team with their health? If I had a growth on my neck that was visible to people like that, I’d like to think I’d at least inquire with a doctor about it. 
I’m not sure if Canucks swapped up their trainers when they cleaned house recently, but this one does make me scratch my head a wee bit. 

Do you realised it’s on the BACK OF HIS NECK…? How can you possibly see that?
With a handheld mirror facing another mirror, maybe…But observing in that perspective does look like a regular mole. 
Also, there are a lot of people keep their business to their self and not making any crude judgments about other’s looks and body issues.. 

Brian is an Assistant Equipment Manager, for 20th seasons with the Canucks. You don’t need a medical background to take care and handling team equipments and laundry. 

Edited by Crimson-JH
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

She has shown it's not about the money for her. You see her reaction to the 10 K she got at the game? She very much appreciated it. What an angel. We need more people like this in the world.

4 hours ago, blaise said:

Canucks organization gave her $10 000 scholarship for her medical studies.

It's nice to see this kind of story amidst all the negatives were being bombarded with.

5 hours ago, Boudrias said:

That is the story of the year! What a extraordinary person to notice a possible problem and then act on it. 

In a world today where most young people are just narcissistic idiots that have gotten brainwashed with social media apps like instagram and tiktok, it's nice to see that there are still people like this angel who really care about others.

Especially in this season of giving, it's what it's all about!

• Huggy Bear 1

4 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

I think she'd be the last person to complain about how much money she did or didn't get for potentially saving someone's life.

She did it out of the good of her heart, not for anything else.

It was a nice gesture for her actions and a great token of gratitude.