The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What do we do? (Discussion/Poll)

This is your chance!  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

@JM_ @Maniwaki Canuck @Ghostsof1915 @Father Ryan and friends

Here is how I am seeing our club today..............simply just a couple of players away from being a really good team. I can also see it that way for 5 to 7 years, with the current personnel .  Seriously! 

But I agree with all of what you are saying.................here is a suggestion for debate

Move

Pettersson + Poolman + Highmore @ 50% = $10,212,500

for

Blueger + Marino + Rust =  $10,100,000

This trade makes us a very solid veteran laden team, yet provides Pittsburgh with young blood in Pettersson and Highmore, and given the fact that Rust was most likely finished in Pittsburgh due to UFA salary negotiations. (Keep in mind Rust is a good player, but not necessarily needed in Vancouver and "could be flipped".)

Now with Marino being 24 and on a great contract (5 more years at $4.4 Million per, it takes some pressure off of finding a solid defensive RHD immediately) However, further to the point of needing a big mean RHD. I would suggest moving our 2023 1st or 2024 1st for that much needed player. Yes, it is not perfect, and I cringe at the thought of moving such a valuable piece.

Something like..........

Mayfield and 2022-2nd (Col)

for 

Our 2024 -1st

--------------------------------------------------------------------

This makes our 2021-2022 Roster as Follows:

Rust                 Miller            Boeser

Persson           Horvat          Hoglander

Garland           Blueger         Podkolzin

Dickenson       Lammikko     Motte

Chaisson

Hughes          Mayfield

OEL               Marino

Rathbone       Myers

Schenn          Burroughs

Demko

Halak

Now this against what JR has said he would do, but far closer inline with what most want, in terms of not moving certain players. keep in mind Rust can be moved, or you let him walk at the end of the year.

Is this the type of thing you are looking for?

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Here is how I am seeing our club today..............simply just a couple of players away from being a really good team. I can also see it that way for 5 to 7 years, with the current personnel .  Seriously! 

But I agree with all of what you are saying.................here is a suggestion for debate

Move

for

This trade makes us a very solid veteran laden team, yet provides Pittsburgh with young blood in Pettersson and Highmore, and given the fact that Rust was most likely finished in Pittsburgh due to UFA salary negotiations. (Keep in mind Rust is a good player, but not necessarily needed in Vancouver and "could be flipped".)

Now with Marino being 24 and on a great contract (5 more years at $4.4 Million per, it takes some pressure off of finding a solid defensive RHD immediately) However, further to the point of needing a big mean RHD. I would suggest moving our 2023 1st or 2024 1st for that much needed player. Yes, it is not perfect, and I cringe at the thought of moving such a valuable piece.

Something like..........

for 

Our 2024 -1st

Chaisson

Hughes          Mayfield

OEL               Marino

Rathbone       Myers

Demko

Halak

Now this against what JR has said he would do, but far closer inline with what most want, in terms of not moving certain players. keep in mind Rust can be moved, or you let him walk at the end of the year.

we'd be even harder to play against Jan, thats for sure.

Is that enough to give up on Petey? thats the question that would keep a GM up at night. 

• Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Move

for

Something like..........

for 

Our 2024 -1st

Chaisson

Hughes          Mayfield

OEL               Marino

Rathbone       Myers

Demko

Halak

If Petey continues as he has been this year, I'd reluctantly consider it in the summer.  But it would be super-risky and invite the "whoever gets the best player wins the trade" adage.  If you swapped Brock into that  package, I think it would be more likely to go from our end.  Just a question:  how much better is Marino than Poolman?  Some, undoubtedly, but is the difference enough to justify handing over one of  our top forwards?   That's the question I'd want to answer before doing that deal.  Mayfield seems like a clearer complement to our puck-moving D who would give us something we lack, so I'm more inclined to sacrifice some value at forward for someone like him.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

If Petey continues as he has been this year, I'd reluctantly consider it in the summer.  But it would be super-risky and invite the "whoever gets the best player wins the trade" adage.  If you swapped Brock into that  package, I think it would be more likely to go from our end.  Just a question:  how much better is Marino than Poolman?  Some, undoubtedly, but is the difference enough to justify handing over one of  our top forwards?   That's the question I'd want to answer before doing that deal.  Mayfield seems like a clearer complement to our puck-moving D who would give us something we lack, so I'm more inclined to sacrifice some value at forward for someone like him.

All good points.

Like Jim said...it is what keeps GM's up at night

• Upvote 1

It seems pretty obvious to me that we need a big trade from our deep F group to acquire a younger, top pair, RHD (TDL if we're out of it, summer/if not). Miller being the most obvious, then Boeser. IMO, there's zero chance of us selling low on our still quite young, and most talented F since the Sedins. Crazy talk IMO. Tough season or not.

Myers is playing great but he'll be 32 soon and is only under contract for 2 more years. We NEED a succession plan there and their isn't currently one in our prospective pool. We NEED a top level, RHD.

I'd like to see us both trade for a +/- 25 year old one, and hopefully also pick Jiricek this draft.

Either take a solid 3C back in said trade (balance cap) and/or target guys like Nic Paul this summer as UFA to maintain C depth.

Edited by aGENT

On 1/2/2022 at 6:17 PM, J.I.A.H.N said:

Move

for

Something like..........

for 

Our 2024 -1st

Chaisson

Hughes          Mayfield

OEL               Marino

Rathbone       Myers

Demko

Halak

The first thing that strikes me is that none of the Penguin players you show have potential to be a game breaker. Despite having a down year, I think EP40 has that potential. Maybe not quite the "alien" we were thinking originally, but definitely 90-100 point peak potential, and that for a number of years. Rust is the only player with pretty much any significant offensive potential, and he is 6+ years older than Petey. I think that would be making this year better, but in two years (about when Petey's contract is up...at the same time Myers comes off the books, freeing up 6M) we would have a decline just when Petey is making his mark. 

I see the thought process behind the move. I just don't like the long term ramifications. Let's say we, with current roster, just miss out on the playoffs. We have a decent (not great) draft position. Are we going to look at 1-2 years of playoffs, then decline...or just miss but get to watch our core mature and be really freaking good. 

Now, Marino is enticing, precisely for the reasons you noted. Unfortunately, those reasons are why Pitt will want to keep him. They are also in salary cap hell this year, and having Malkin on LTIR is their only saving grace. Marino gives them a steady, known salary to work around. About all we could do would be to offer an ELC or two, plus a high pick. And Rutherford has already said "no dice" on trading the first. If we could come up with a reasonable package for Marino (maybe Woo + Rathbone + 2023 1st?), that could help Pitt with their salary cap hell, they might say yes. Which leaves us in even worse salary cap problems. 

If I'm going to pick any one player out of our core (plus Miller), I'd be choosing Boeser. Top wingers are easier to replace than top centers. We have no real center depth. Blueger and Rust don't adequately replace Petey. For salary cap reasons, I don't see Pitt doing any trades that don't include some way to rid themselves of some cap, this year. Yeah, they have a b**t load of cap next year, but with Petey, they would be top heavy, and having the problems Edmonton has had for years (no $$ to get decent depth).

Anyway, that's my take. I'm very worried about next year. Looking at Cap Friendly, and adding the 1M the league announced the cap would go up, we only have 11.5M next year...to sign 7 players. And if Lockwood is one of them, that's just exchanging an non-roster ELC for a roster spot. And also not including the bonus monies some of the guys are going to get, staring with Halak.

Gee, thx Benning for the good players...and the salary cap migraine!

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Father Ryan said:

The first thing that strikes me is that none of the Penguin players you show have potential to be a game breaker. Despite having a down year, I think EP40 has that potential. Maybe not quite the "alien" we were thinking originally, but definitely 90-100 point peak potential, and that for a number of years. Rust is the only player with pretty much any significant offensive potential, and he is 6+ years older than Petey. I think that would be making this year better, but in two years (about when Petey's contract is up...at the same time Myers comes off the books, freeing up 6M) we would have a decline just when Petey is making his mark. 

I see the thought process behind the move. I just don't like the long term ramifications. Let's say we, with current roster, just miss out on the playoffs. We have a decent (not great) draft position. Are we going to look at 1-2 years of playoffs, then decline...or just miss but get to watch our core mature and be really freaking good. 

Now, Marino is enticing, precisely for the reasons you noted. Unfortunately, those reasons are why Pitt will want to keep him. They are also in salary cap hell this year, and having Malkin on LTIR is their only saving grace. Marino gives them a steady, known salary to work around. About all we could do would be to offer an ELC or two, plus a high pick. And Rutherford has already said "no dice" on trading the first. If we could come up with a reasonable package for Marino (maybe Woo + Rathbone + 2023 1st?), that could help Pitt with their salary cap hell, they might say yes. Which leaves us in even worse salary cap problems. 

If I'm going to pick any one player out of our core (plus Miller), I'd be choosing Boeser. Top wingers are easier to replace than top centers. We have no real center depth. Blueger and Rust don't adequately replace Petey. For salary cap reasons, I don't see Pitt doing any trades that don't include some way to rid themselves of some cap, this year. Yeah, they have a b**t load of cap next year, but with Petey, they would be top heavy, and having the problems Edmonton has had for years (no $$ to get decent depth).

Anyway, that's my take. I'm very worried about next year. Looking at Cap Friendly, and adding the 1M the league announced the cap would go up, we only have 11.5M next year...to sign 7 players. And if Lockwood is one of them, that's just exchanging an non-roster ELC for a roster spot. And also not including the bonus monies some of the guys are going to get, staring with Halak.

Gee, thx Benning for the good players...and the salary cap migraine!

Well thought out post

Honestly, I agree with you Pettersson is a hell of a offer and guys like Pettersson do not come around often, and honestly, it's their GM's problem, and I feel pretty confident that Pittsburgh's GM would make the room.

And, I do agree there  is lots of room for argument of not moving Pettersson......especially for what I suggest. But it may not be Pittsburg, and the offer may not be, as suggested....

But what I suggesting by illustrating the trade is how it fills in our team for be competitive now.

I also note that some teams...aka Edmonton have 2 of the very best, but no supporting cast, and where has it got them? I also think the trade gives us the luxury of picking another RHD and not having to force the development time and also gives us a 2nd, which could be another goalie????

Honestly, I don't know, as this whole thing was to discuss an alternative to trading Boeser or Miller, but I don't think it will be an easy feet, and who knows when it will happen???

thanks for responding........

Cheers....Happy New Year!

On 1/1/2022 at 10:58 PM, J.I.A.H.N said:

Let's start this by saying, I do not "want" to trade anyone! I love our forwards, and particular, I love JT Miller (In a sports discussion type way!) and I will acknowledge that we do not have to trade anyone, if we want to run our team status quo. (No changes)

The "No Changes" is where this discussion starts for me. Do we simply not change any of our high end players? Filling in with fringe NHL/AHL players, like some other teams do?

Well, I guess the first question I ask myself, is......Is this team a playoff team, and if so, are we a Stanley Cup winning team? The second question for me is, is winning enough? Well, it's a good question, and I have to admit, that all the years we were winning with the Sedin's and Luongo, etc, I was pretty happy, but ultimately, sad when they were eliminated. 

So, what do I want...........well a perennial winning team that competes at the top of the league for the Stanley Cup, every year! This is what JR has said he is focused on doing, and what every Canuck fan under God's green earth, wants!

Well, How do we do that and how long will it take? (I only have so many years left!)

The second thing that enters my mind, is the question of do we have the talent in the system to do what we need? Well, it is my opinion, we only have secondary players that will fill bottom 6, and 3rd pairing Dmen. I would also question whether we have a goalie prospect that can push Demko down the road.

This leads me to saying we are very incomplete team at this point, in terms of longevity.

So, let us see what you think, either through the attached poll, or through your comments................

I'd allow all three when it comes to question number two, or at least 2/3 options...wanted to tick all three boxes but went with the draft because really that's still the major component.   A trade would have to be one lopsided one to bounce us into contender status.

We just aren't at that part of the cycle yet although we for sure are closing in on that part of the window with the existing core.   Two years away thereabouts.   Remember it wasn't until Luongo signed his mega deal that our last contending core got its window.  All those guys were on their second or third contracts.   

• Cheers 1

Am I the only one, who want to wait until the bubble bursts (if it bursts), to trade and see what is needed?

Atm I would like a 4th liner, who can drop them, and I'd like a bottom rd stay at home D-man, with some snarl as well...

Team just play 9 games with only 1 OT defeat... That is good in any language, especially without Brock and EP only at 50%...

Why not let the team run with it and see where it leads? Maybe I'm selfish and just enjoy seeing the team win, without too much concern for the future, but I guess that's what happens, when a team loses too much...

I for one would be massively disappointed, if JR dismantles a winning team going into the play offs, in the hope of building a team with a higher chance of being a winner later.

There is no guarantees that a new team build will be better, just hope and opportunity...

Regardless wish there was the option of more truculence.... If the 4th line can't score, at least they can hurt them...

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

This year? I say we do nothing and reevaluate next year after players like EP Boeser all have a proper camp and off season. Any player we trade now other than Miller we are trading at their absolute lowest value. After the slow start to the year boeser is still on pace to break the pandemic cut season in goals with less assist but no EP playing with chaisson and Pearson as his other winger that's bound to happen. EP didn't have a proper off season nor did he have a preseason.. and then having a poor start with a stick too long for him and in greens system prolly destroyed his confidence.. I mean he's not the only player that struggled under green. So ill wait till couple months into next season before deciding what to do with the team. Though we do need to upgrade the defense.

• Cheers 2

Short term - we need another top-4 defenceman pretty desperately, and a 3rd line center and we're as good as any other playoff team (with our players playing at their potential). Dickinson and Poolman simply aren't good enough, there's potential but they're not there yet. Right now we've got Schenn essentially playing as our top-4 defenceman alongside Hughes which is laughable considering he's been a 6-7th defenceman the last 5 years. 

Medium-to-long term - we're going to need some gritty 2nd and 3rd line wingers and replace OEL on the left side.

5 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

This year? I say we do nothing and reevaluate next year after players like EP Boeser all have a proper camp and off season. Any player we trade now other than Miller we are trading at their absolute lowest value. After the slow start to the year boeser is still on pace to break the pandemic cut season in goals with less assist but no EP playing with chaisson and Pearson as his other winger that's bound to happen. EP didn't have a proper off season nor did he have a preseason.. and then having a poor start with a stick too long for him and in greens system prolly destroyed his confidence.. I mean he's not the only player that struggled under green. So ill wait till couple months into next season before deciding what to do with the team. Though we do need to upgrade the defense.

Agree... even if they decide to trade any of them, they will have a chance to improve their trade value...

On 1/4/2022 at 9:14 AM, spook007 said:

Am I the only one, who want to wait until the bubble bursts (if it bursts), to trade and see what is needed?

Atm I would like a 4th liner, who can drop them, and I'd like a bottom rd stay at home D-man, with some snarl as well...

Team just play 9 games with only 1 OT defeat... That is good in any language, especially without Brock and EP only at 50%...

Why not let the team run with it and see where it leads? Maybe I'm selfish and just enjoy seeing the team win, without too much concern for the future, but I guess that's what happens, when a team loses too much...

I for one would be massively disappointed, if JR dismantles a winning team going into the play offs, in the hope of building a team with a higher chance of being a winner later.

There is no guarantees that a new team build will be better, just hope and opportunity...

Regardless wish there was the option of more truculence.... If the 4th line can't score, at least they can hurt them...

Your not alone Spook.   Sure Rutherford feels the same way.   If a team is winning don't mess with it.     To me it's not a matter if we trade a person/player, it's when we do.   And IF we are playoff team come the TDL it would be a gigantic slap in the face to the team to trade a core player for futures.    

Are we a contender?  No of course not.   But neither was LA lol.   They won twice.  

St. Louis did too.   Making  the playoffs is the first step.   Personally i'm 100% ok with just making the playoffs this year and the next year, and wishing Miller well and not re-signing him.   That would be great value for him.     

Time to make a core player swap would be at the trade deadline to maximize futures too.  Miller again, first up to bat.   Only if we are out though.  

Next time to make a trade is at the draft.    

Rutherford and co have their work cut out for them.   JB gave them so much to work with.   In the end they need to make the tough decisions - do we stick with what we have, or trade some guys. We'd have to be a favourite entering the TDL to be buyers that's for sure.  

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, the grinder said:

we need another center   , a  big young mobile d-man  and younger top 9 winger that can replace Pearson ( can throw a hit and chip in some goals) and get rid of Travis Green's Chia Pet  Chiasson 

That's easy to suggest.   But where is the cap coming from?  Plus we already have three quality C's to work with.   

What we need is defenseman.   The draft is the only thing that will truly give this core a chance.   We need a Myers replacement - and i love to say that because he's been given way too much flak since he arrived.    And we need a C replacement for one of Miller, Horvat or EP.   We can't afford all 3 without getting even weaker somewhere else.   Demko and Hughes is our baseline.   4 more years after this one to make it work.   Tick Tock.  

Edit:   To contend we need a team that makes the playoffs for a period of years.   Like that we are winning now it is awesome.   And hope this is the start of a beautiful story.    I'm 80% certain that this team requires a re-set in their rebuild.   

Edited by IBatch

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Your not alone Spook.   Sure Rutherford feels the same way.   If a team is winning don't mess with it.     To me it's not a matter if we trade a person/player, it's when we do.   And IF we are playoff team come the TDL it would be a gigantic slap in the face to the team to trade a core player for futures.    

Are we a contender?  No of course not.   But neither was LA lol.   They won twice.  

St. Louis did too.   Making  the playoffs is the first step.   Personally i'm 100% ok with just making the playoffs this year and the next year, and wishing Miller well and not re-signing him.   That would be great value for him.     

Time to make a core player swap would be at the trade deadline to maximize futures too.  Miller again, first up to bat.   Only if we are out though.  

Next time to make a trade is at the draft.    

Rutherford and co have their work cut out for them.   JB gave them so much to work with.   In the end they need to make the tough decisions - do we stick with what we have, or trade some guys. We'd have to be a favourite entering the TDL to be buyers that's for sure.  

Cheers Ibatch. 
that's exactly the way I see it, and obviously JB as well at the bubble playoffs. 

JR have an idea, what he wants to add to the team, but even he will be aware of the run they are on... speaking the way he does, has also been a massive kick up the butt to those players, who made have gone into part holiday / rejection mode. 
They will be aware that if they get moved there is no guarentee they'll get another nhl gig. 
IE they are now playing for their futures...

and so far they are winning, and JR's winning his game of cat and mouse (if it is indeed intended)...

I have a feeling good things could happen to this team. If EP could regain his form, watch out... so far Bruce have gotten this far with his most valuable player at only 50%. 

If it starts to come apart though, I have zero doubt he will swing the axe.... he's not known to be hessitant to make changes...

Edited by spook007
  • Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Cheers Ibatch. 
that's exactly the way I see it, and obviously JB as well at the bubble playoffs. 

JR have an idea, what he wants to add to the team, but even he will be aware of the run they are on... speaking the way he does, has also been a massive kick up the butt to those players, who made have gone into part holiday / rejection mode. 
They will be aware that if they get moved there is no guarentee they'll get another nhl gig. 
IE they are now playing for their futures...

and so far they are winning, and JR's winning his game of cat and mouse (if it is indeed intended)...

I have a feeling good things could happen to this team. If EP could regain his form, watch out... so far Bruce have gotten this far with his most valuable player at only 50%. 

If it starts to come apart though, I have zero doubt he will swing the axe.... he's not known to be hessitant to make changes...

Just going to enjoy the ride.   And always hopeful for that next magical run.   Aside from the Linden era with Linden, Bure and Nedved (one year),  ive never seen anything like BB, EP, and QHs off the hop do so well.   Was too young during our first run to pay much attention  .   So i'm hopeful.   Also think JB made some great moves to help the existing team, but it could come at a cost.   And likely will.  

• Like 1

On 1/1/2022 at 11:05 PM, J.I.A.H.N said:

Just putting something out here, as I read all your posts.............

Let's say that 33 is the magic number when you can not bank on a player playing past at the peak of his ability.  (Not saying I am right, but it is around there ish) So some player play well past there, other don't play well past 30...............

So Miller has 5 more years, and Horvat has 8 more years.....does that make Pettersson expendable? And what is the return? It is selling low.!!!!!!

And just for the record..........IMO.........we move Miller at the TDL at 50% retained for a young RHD, a prospect and a 1st or something along that lines......

But does Pettersson improve? 

Pete I'm no clairvoyant here but player's don't usually peak at 20. We have seen what he can do when he is on his game. He can get back to that level and surpass it I have every confidence in him in that regard. 

What JR need's to figure out is............ Is Pete a franchise player???? There is a lot more that goes into that decision than just points. Pete will need to evolve as a human being in the next 2 years. I really feel there is absolutely no reason to trade him at this point. He has time to prove his mettle  nobody want's to follow somebody who's feeling sorry for themselves into battle. You don't win a cup without adversity. The slump he is currently going through in my opinion is healthy for his evolution as a player. How he comes out the other side will determine his ceiling going forward. I expect he will come out guns blazing next year.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2