The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dakar Rally Raid

Ilunga

10 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

Can KTM win the bike portion again or will Honda get the 3 peat after a really long period (20 years?) of KTM dominance?  

Loved seeing Honda win a few. Have ridden many a CR over the years and still have a CRF250L :) 

The real question is will an Aussie win on a KTM- Toby Price or will an Aussie win on a KTM clone- Gas Gas owned by KTM- Daniel Sanders.

Danny's family live about 20 km's from me.

I used to ride 4 wheel drive trails with his dad in the Vic mountain ranges 30 years ago.

Back in the day when men rode real bikes, 500cc 2 strokes.

Stephane Peterhansel a Dakar legend who has won the event 6 times in the bike section and 8 times in the car section is driving an electric Audi this year.

Unfortunately he has had a crash and it looks like he is out of contention 

https://au.motorsport.com/dakar/news/audis-peterhansel-drops-out-of-dakar-contention-after-stage-1-crash/7058863/amp/

Stephane is an absolute legend.

With out a doubt the worlds greatest off road athlete.

Seb loeb who has won the World Rally championship a record 9 times has competed in the Dakar 6 times and has managed to finish twice, both times on the podium.

1 hour ago, Ilunga said:

The real question is will an Aussie win on a KTM- Toby Price or will an Aussie win on a KTM clone- Gas Gas owned by KTM- Daniel Sanders.

I used to ride 4 wheel drive trails with his dad in the Vic mountain ranges 30 years ago.

I rode a buddy's CR500 back in the 90s. The thing was stupid. Great for pits and roads and $&!#ting your pants. 

1 hour ago, Ilunga said:

That's your real question. ;)

I care more about the manufacturer battle than the riders at this point. Toby is &^@#ing crazy and crazy good though. Love watching him rip.  

I cannot cheer for KTM as they buy up all the non Japanese market. Great bikes though. Would love to try the 790 Adventure bike. Have ridden the 350 2 stroke. Soooooo good. Hopefully they don't turn Gas Gas into another full on KTM clone like Beta. Probably already happened for all I know..  :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gnarcore said:

I rode a buddy's CR500 back in the 90s. The thing was stupid. Great for pits and roads and $&!#ting your pants. 

What makes our mountains crap for skiing,old and worn down by time make them great for vehicular access.

They are riddled with 4 wheel drive trails.

In the foothills they are tightish and when wet in winter are like ice- skating rinks.

If you can learn to stay upright and go fast using every little bump,rut the edge of the track,you get to be a good rider.

Then you start riding in the high plains.

Long uphills-downhills and spur tracks that are open and fast.

Perfect for big bore 500 2 strokes and 600 four strokes.

My 1986 KTM 500,put a 16 tooth front sprocket-48tooth back sprocket.

Could sit on 70MPH and still have enough power to give it a squirt and get the front wheel over $##$ in any gear.

14 litre tank that gave me 160 K's in the bush.

Expansion chamber tucked up under the tank protected from rocks.

Had to put in the years on many smaller bore bikes to get the skill to ride that puppy.

Edited by Ilunga

The competitors had a tough day of navigation today with many of the big names losing time in both the cars and bikes. 

After the first real competitive stage 

Bikes 

1 Dan Sanders 

2 Pablo Quantanilla 

3 Mattias Walker 

Cars 

1 Nassar al- Attiyah 

2 Seb Loeb 

3 Martin Prokop 

Trucks 

1 Dmitry Sotnikov 

2 Eduard Nikolayev 

3 Ales Loprais 

Ales Loprais's uncle Karel a 6 time winner in the trucks died the day before the event started.

Rip in peace you legend 

Edited by Ilunga

6 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

More interested in the Bikes in this race

I raced almost every manufactured bike starting Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki Yamaha, Gas Gas, KTM in MX,and Enduro

Now I ride a Gas Gas Trials, Honda and BMW GS now

I don't have any allegiance to a manufacturer, It is the ride that counts

I used to race and ride KTM's in enduros back in the late 70's and 80's because they had bullet proof motors unlike the Bultaco's, Montessa's and the rice burners back then.

Maico made a decent bike.

Honda then brought out the XR and that brought a lot more riders into the sport.

Got a Kwacka dirt bike, Triumph Roadie and my son has a Honda.

As you state all that matters is riding.

My dad used to have a Vincent HRD before he came to Australia.

He rode it at the Isle of Man race.

I wish he had kept that and brought it with him to Aus.

Edited by Ilunga
  • Cheers 1

Stage 9 

Cars

1 N. Al- Attiyah 

2 S. Loeb 

3 Y. Al Rhaji 

Bikes 

1 S. Sunderland

2. M. Walkner 

3 A. Van Beveren  

Trucks 

1 D. Sotnikov 

2. E. Nikolaev 

3 A. Shibalov  

The Audi's finished 1- 2 -4 today.

Not bad considering they were just a concept less than 6 months ago.

I see Sunderland held on and picked up the win on a Gas Gas with a small 3.5(ish) minute overall lead. Such a close year! Honda in 2nd and KTM 3rd. Nice seeing a variety of bikes at the top these days :) 

@Ilunga- we can talk bikes but politics is out :bigblush:

Edited by Gnarcore

2 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

I see Sunderland held on and picked up the win on a Gas Gas with a small 3.5(ish) minute overall lead. Such a close year! Honda in 2nd and KTM 3rd. Nice seeing a variety of bikes at the top these days :) 

@Ilunga- we can talk bikes but politics is out :bigblush:

Yep Sam won his second Dakar and it is good to see three different manufacturers in the top 3.

Results

Bikes 

1 Sam Sunderland 

2 Pablo Quintilla 

3 Matthias Walkner 

Cars 

1 Nasser Al- Attiyah 

2 Seb Loeb 

3 Yazeed Al Rhaji 

Trucks 

1 Dmitry Sotnikov 

2 Eduard Nikolaev