The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] James Neal

Meh, I'd rather the Canucks ice almost anyone over Chiasson. The guy can't keep up with the game 5 v 5. He doesn't create much on the PP but is an OK net front presence. Overall it's mostly painful to watch when he's on the ice.

Saying that - Neal is also pretty slow now. I dunno if I'd really prefer him to just calling Lockwood up and giving him a shot, once Boeser, Dowling and Dickinson are back Neal would have a decent chance of being cut again anyway. Lockwood is at least waiver exempt and deserving of an NHL shot.

Would be pretty neutral on a claim tbh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, combover said:

He’s An Improvement over doweling highmore chiasson.

Pick him up waive doweling or highmore 

On the fence whether he's an upgrade over Highmore or Dowling but he can’t be much more useless than Chiasson 5 on 5 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

9 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

On the fence whether he's an upgrade over Highmore or Dowling but he can’t be much more useless than Chiasson 5 on 5 

I think it would be tough to be worse than any of those three. 
Gaining some size in the bottom six wouldn’t be a bad thing. 

3 minutes ago, combover said:

I think it would be tough to be worse than any of those three. 
Gaining some size in the bottom six wouldn’t be a bad thing. 

Not sold at this stage of his career he’s an upgrade over Dowling and Highmore 5 on 5 in any way but size.

4 hours ago, JM_ said:

tbh I'd take a flyer. With a week of practice time who knows, maybe there's a fit. If not, hello Abby.

I just think while he can score, he is not the type of player JR has identified as the style they want re: speed or playing with speed. I think if he was used as an upgrade on Chiasson ? but otherwise think he's a no go.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, garthsbutcher said:

Yes he can

I find that hard to believe, given the fact that Chiasson is completely useless and actually hurts the team with stupid defensive play, even under Boudreau.  The only reason he was gifted a spot on the team was an incompetent coach who has now been fired and replaced with someone who has no reason to keep the AHL trash Green chose around.  Neal's not a great player, but he's still a better option than Green's pet plug.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, Provost said:

Ya, he isn’t what he was… but we have guys like Chiasson playing regular minutes for us and on the PP even.

He can’t be worse and could be better.  Big guy, pretty physical… can be a net front.

Not exactly the type of player Rutherford was mentioning before and liking big and fast guys, but doesn’t cost us anything and is an extra veteran body if we end up moving out a guy or two before the deadline.

Chaisson is only playing because he's depth and the new brass hasn't properly evaluated yet. Highmore is showing himself to be better imo.  Has more of the qualities that interest Rutherford.

Neal had a decent career but was bought out by the Oilers and has laid an egg with the Blues.  Pass

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Why would we even consider this guy just because he could be a tiny bit better than Chiasson. I'm sure Ruthie will get us some pieces when we are getting closer to a playoff spot!! 

FTFY

Edited by hammertime
  • Haha 3