The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] James Neal

13 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Not sold at this stage of his career he’s an upgrade over Dowling and Highmore 5 on 5 in any way but size.

Funny because doweling and highmore have done nothing to make me thing either belongs in the NHL. 
Neil is defiantly on the tail end of his career but only 3 years older than doweling. I just think Neil on the forth line gives us something we lack grit and size something niether Fallsmore or dowel provide. And a hed be better net front player than chiasson. 

i doubt we pick him up but sooner or later we need to get rid of the ineffective  ahl 4th liners and bring in effective nhlers. 

• Vintage 2

19 hours ago, Kelly Green said:

On a roster with Chiasson on it? Really?

Could be an asset on the long eastern roadtrip coming up.

Hey I like Chiasson. He’s making some pretty good on-ice decisions. He’s contributing.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Hey I like Chiasson. He’s making some pretty good on-ice decisions. He’s contributing.

he's a 12/13 F. Its a spot where you can try things, or often as in our case this year have to use him. But lets not kid ourselves, he's someone that can be upgraded by waivers. Is that Neal? dunno, but I'd let him go if we could get MacEwan or Gad's back. 

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

he's a 12/13 F. Its a spot where you can try things, or often as in our case this year have to use him. But lets not kid ourselves, he's someone that can be upgraded by waivers. Is that Neal? dunno, but I'd let him go if we could get MacEwan or Gad's back. 

That ship has sailed and Kassian, Gadjiovich and MacEwen were on it.

• Upvote 1

Seems like the last few years Neal has scored like an all star in pre season and then disappears in the regular season or at least by the end of October. 

There is nothing to see here.

Just now, Me_ said:

That ship has sailed and Kassian, Gadjiovich and MacEwen were on it.

I don't know that we can say that with certainty anymore tho. So many people on here were convinced it was a personnel problem and not Green. Green wanted Chiasson because he didn't know how to run an NHL PP. I'd really like to have seen Mac under BB. I think he could possibly do the same for Kass, Tippet isn't a great coach either. 

• Vintage 2

24 minutes ago, Me_ said:

I hope thats true and I just havnt noticed yet, not meaning to hate on him personally just wondering if Neal could still contribute some secondary offence?

With the game day quarantines happening he could be a good player to have available on the taxi squad imo,

13 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I don't know that we can say that with certainty anymore tho. So many people on here were convinced it was a personnel problem and not Green. Green wanted Chiasson because he didn't know how to run an NHL PP. I'd really like to have seen Mac under BB. I think he could possibly do the same for Kass, Tippet isn't a great coach either. 

I'd take Kassian back here in a heartbeat. Love that guy.

• Vintage 2

21 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Under Boudreau:

B791B929-1790-4786-9C8E-27CE925F6835.jpeg

• Vintage 1

20 hours ago, Quantum said:

He did.

Traded Neal to the Preds for Hornqvist and Spaling

The same month he was hired as GM - was hired early June and traded him at the draft a few weeks later.  Apparently felt he was an issue in the room. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, RakuRaku said:

Why would we even consider this guy just because he could be a tiny bit better than Chiasson?? We passed on Comeau and Clifford....  I'm sure Ruthie will get us some pieces when we are getting closer to a playoff spot!! 

We passed on those guys under the old regime.   

4 hours ago, combover said:

Funny because doweling and highmore have done nothing to make me thing either belongs in the NHL. 
Neil is defiantly on the tail end of his career but only 3 years older than doweling. I just think Neil on the forth line gives us something we lack grit and size something niether Fallsmore or dowel provide. And a hed be better net front player than chiasson. 

i doubt we pick him up but sooner or later we need to get rid of the ineffective  ahl 4th liners and bring in effective nhlers. 

That's kind of a struggle for all NHL teams. Cheap players who are fast, hit, aggressive, and score are kind of hard to find, which is why you see guys like Highmore, and Dowling get shots. They've got pieces of that. We're no different than anyone else. I personally like Highmore's hustle, speed, and checking, but unfortunately he's a black hole when it comes to scoring. Dowling is quite skilled I'm impressed by his puck skills and maneuverability, and even PP ability. I doubt either sticks for a long time but you never know. Neal definitely adds skill but I question his work ethic for a 4th line role ... maybe though.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

I wouldn't but that's just my opinion. I don't think Gads or Mac can process the game at NHL speed whereas Chiasson can. Again, it's just my opinion. I agree though he's definitely upgradeable if the right player is available. Neal can definitely process the game and play Chiasson's spot on the PP if needed.

2 hours ago, Kelly Green said:

I hope thats true and I just havnt noticed yet, not meaning to hate on him personally just wondering if Neal could still contribute some secondary offence?

With the game day quarantines happening he could be a good player to have available on the taxi squad imo,

He's 2 and 2 in 18 games while Chiasson has 3 and 3 in 27. Exactly the same output.

Edited by Gawdzukes

15 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

He's 2 and 2 in 18 games while Chiasson has 3 and 3 in 27. Exactly the same output.

I haven’t looked, but I also suspect Neal wasn’t getting a ton of 1st unit PP time… so if anything Chiasson’s numbers would he inflated as 5 of his 6 points are from the power play.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, combover said:

He’s An Improvement over doweling highmore chiasson.

Pick him up waive doweling or highmore 

Highmore has looked good since coming back on a 4th line that looks solid now. The other two I'd let go first. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1