Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Van & Philly(a Would U, proposal)


Recommended Posts

Boring off-wk, so throwing a random idea out there for hyperventilating rants & discussion.

 

The setting: Next 15-20 games, EP40 starts reverting to his rookie form, & looking mighty fine. Team keeps rolling, & appears a lock for a top-3 finish in Pacific.

Over in the Metro, Philly is a mess, but Giroux is up to his usual ppg-antics. he agrees to waive his NMC to land on a PO team

 

Van: EP40

Philly: Giroux, 2022 1st r pick(lotto protected; looks like they'll prob wind up picking in a #10-12 OA slot)

Another condition: If Giroux re-signed in Philly, we'd get ANOTHER 1st(thereby cancelling the possibility)

 

So we would roll into PO's with Miller, Horvat & Giroux as 3 top C's. Also enjoying a higher pick, after all the spring fun.

Philly wouldn't trust their own scouting enough; wagering EP40 is far superior to anything they might select.

 

Don't know what I'd do(in GM's shoes). Such a deal holds risk, & EP in top form is such a gem. But yeah, something to talk about...

  • Haha 1
  • Wat 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Boring off-wk, so throwing a random idea out there for hyperventilating rants & discussion.

 

The setting: Next 15-20 games, EP40 starts reverting to his rookie form, & looking mighty fine. Team keeps rolling, & appears a lock for a top-3 finish in Pacific.

Over in the Metro, Philly is a mess, but Giroux is up to his usual ppg-antics. he agrees to waive his NMC to land on a PO team

 

Van: EP40

Philly: Giroux, 2022 1st r pick(lotto protected; looks like they'll prob wind up picking in a #10-12 OA slot)

Another condition: If Giroux re-signed in Philly, we'd get ANOTHER 1st(thereby cancelling the possibility)

 

So we would roll into PO's with Miller, Horvat & Giroux as 3 top C's. Also enjoying a higher pick, after all the spring fun.

Philly wouldn't trust their own scouting enough; wagering EP40 is far superior to anything they might select.

 

Don't know what I'd do(in GM's shoes). Such a deal holds risk, & EP in top form is such a gem. But yeah, something to talk about...

I don't know about this one NUX. I am not necessarily against trading EP40 but I would really like to get a good, young d-man as opposed to a pending UFA and a middling 1st round pick.

 

I believe the condition you have attached to the potential additional 1st round pick is no longer allowed as per the below.

 

Teams can no longer attach conditional picks in trades based on a player re-signing. According to Friedman, agents and players felt that hurt players’ value. For example, New Jersey traded Taylor Hall to Arizona. As part of the deal, New Jersey received a third-round pick if Hall re-signed in Arizona. Those stipulations are now prohibited.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't get why either team does it.  

Sure Philly gets a young C locked in with term, but Giroux would net a lot at the deadline as a rental, PLUS if they really fall off at the end of the season their 1st could be worth quite a lot.  It's rare for teams selling assets and potentially bottoming out to trade away 1sts, and I don't see Philly doing it.

Giroux is a decade Petey's senior, so no thanks (esp. if there is no re-signing agreement reached beforehand; even if there is, it's a strange trade to make and a potentially risky one if he doesn't want to sign back with us).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

I don't know about this one NUX. I am not necessarily against trading EP40 but I would really like to get a good, young d-man as opposed to a pending UFA and a middling 1st round pick.

 

I believe the condition you have attached to the potential additional 1st round pick is no longer allowed as per the below.

 

Teams can no longer attach conditional picks in trades based on a player re-signing. According to Friedman, agents and players felt that hurt players’ value. For example, New Jersey traded Taylor Hall to Arizona. As part of the deal, New Jersey received a third-round pick if Hall re-signed in Arizona. Those stipulations are now prohibited.

Well, that sucks. 

 

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Drakrami said:

 Not a 33 year old Giroux and a #10 pick. I'd definitely look at a trade Pettersson for someone young coming back though. 

Yeah. Same here. IF we had to trade Pettersson, I don’t want it to be a 33 year old coming the other way, and a 10th overall pick, maybe even later. No Thanks to that. 

 

I also want to keep Petey around. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

so you propose to trade EP at his lowest trade value for basically a potential mid 1st rounder?? so what if we don't roll into the playoff on the last week? basically traded EP for a mid 1st? lol

Yeah. Not a great deal for the Canucks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wish people would stop trying to trade away Petey. Is he having a bad year? Absolutely. And honestly, I would never have imagined he would continue to struggle so mightily for so long. 

 

But I DO think he will return to form. And if he does, he should end up coming back even stronger than before with more experience and more muscle.

This is totally a sell-low proposal, and while we've been burned before by holding onto players who are not producing, I don't think this will become one of those scenarios.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's a hypothetical situation(a Would U?)..it's not ENDORSING a trade..nor selling the idea, for that matter. If English is one's mother tongue, hypothetical ain't too much to fathom, is it?

Simply if you're in the GM's shoes, & your ph rings with such an offer, do you: flatly refuse, discuss with cohorts, or possibly even counter with stronger demands?

I see many harping about EP in PGT's, yet in threads like these, they're prob quiet as a church mouse.

 

It's a thread for discussion in a scrubbed out week, devoid of Canucks action. & ftr, not sure I'd agree to this offer either.

 

********************

 

About 1.5-2 yrs back I presented another EP, 'Would U' offer with CBJ. For PLD & Seth Jones. Many laughed, saying it represented overpayment from the Jacket's pov. At the time I said we shouldn't take it, & would say that still holds up today.

 

Nobody's a freeken GM on these boards. These discussions mostly provide analysis on different player's(both Canucks & other NHL'ers) relative values. If folks are gonna hop up & down(nose outa' joint) it would appear to be more trouble than it's worth..at least it's typing practice for my snail's pace.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If we trade Petterson the return better include a legit young top 4D AND an unprotected 1st from a team that is likely going to pick in the top 5.

 

The chance of any player outside the top 5 being as good or better than Petterson is pretty slim… we don’t want to trade down.  Giroux is not a long term answer due to his age and contract status.

 

This proposal makes us worse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

It's a hypothetical situation(a Would U?)..it's not ENDORSING a trade..nor selling the idea, for that matter. If English is one's mother tongue, hypothetical ain't too much to fathom, is it?

Simply if you're in the GM's shoes, & your ph rings with such an offer, do you: flatly refuse, discuss with cohorts, or possibly even counter with stronger demands?

I see many harping about EP in PGT's, yet in threads like these, they're prob quiet as a church mouse.

 

It's a thread for discussion in a scrubbed out week, devoid of Canucks action. & ftr, not sure I'd agree to this offer either.

 

********************

 

About 1.5-2 yrs back I presented another EP, 'Would U' offer with CBJ. For PLD & Seth Jones. Many laughed, saying it represented overpayment from the Jacket's pov. At the time I said we shouldn't take it, & would say that still holds up today.

 

Nobody's a freeken GM on these boards. These discussions mostly provide analysis on different player's(both Canucks & other NHL'ers) relative values. If folks are gonna hop up & down(nose outa' joint) it would appear to be more trouble than it's worth..at least it's typing practice for my snail's pace.

Chin up!  It was (almost) good while it lasted.

At least we got to learn about the re-signing clause prohibition (at least, I did).

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...