The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cool/thought provoking pics thread.

Rate this topic

I want to post the Photo 

of American athletes Tommy Smith and John Carlos as they stood on the podium at the Mexico Olympics with their hands raised-black power salute- while hanging their heads.

An Aussie Peter Norman who finished second and stood on the podium with them expressed his support by wearing an Olympic project for human rights badge.

Peter faced discrimination when he came back home and while he set times that should have qualified him for events after,he was never chosen to be a member of our team.

A shameful part of our history.

With my crappy skills I can't seem to post it.

Would appreciate if someone could.

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, Ilunga said:

I want to post the Photo 

of American athletes Tommy Smith and John Carlos as they stood on the podium at the Mexico Olympics with their hands raised-black power salute- while hanging their heads.

An Aussie Peter Norman who finished second and stood on the podium with them expressed his support by wearing an Olympic project for human rights badge.

Peter faced discrimination when he came back home and while he set times that should have qualified him for events after,he was never chosen to be a member of our team.

A shameful part of our history.

With my crappy skills I can't seem to post it.

Would appreciate if someone could.

I gotcha bro.

image-placeholder-title.jpg.50dea1be2d8bd5dd2b249781a1f5922b.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
58 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Who could have imagined how profoundly the internet would change the world - for good and ill? When we were told about the wealth of knowledge that would be at our fingertips we just assumed it would make for a better world.

I never did.

I knew that it would be just like every other tool/weapon our species has created.

It would be used for both good and bad purposes.

Edited by Ilunga
  • Vintage 1
On 1/9/2022 at 4:58 PM, Canuck Luck said:

You are correct. I should not have gone there in this cool thread and I won't again.

How about this then...

image.png.803d96d64765bd5c398d814781bf2fb8.png

This is a snip of a video and is not an actual photo. This is one of the three videos released by the pentagon about UFOs operating all around the US Navy fighter jets. The UFOs have been around for decades (probably much longer). Tons of revelations have come out in the last ten years with many high level officials in both private companies and governments (including the US government) admitting UFOs are real, that they operate with physics humans don't yet understand, and that (they claim) we don't know what they are.

I am shocked that more people don't discuss this on a daily basis. 

US Navy pilot Commander Fravor is an extremely intelligent pilot who presents as being honest and believable. He saw a 40 foot "tic tac" shaped UFO hover over the ocean and then disappear in the blink of an eye.

The next few years will be interesting as world governments must admit to their citizens UFOs are real. Very exciting times lol.

On 1/9/2022 at 5:08 PM, bishopshodan said:

Now, on this. You've got a friend in me.

Pentagon is like....'We got UFO's here'....people are like....'Ok, Whateves'

It's very strange that more dont talk about this,

They said UFOs are real, but didn’t say it has anything to do with extraterrestrial.  
Im sure aliens are out there, but I’m willing to bet the UFOs they keep seeing around are from China or Russia. 

• Cheers 1
9 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

They said UFOs are real, but didn’t say it has anything to do with extraterrestrial.  
Im sure aliens are out there, but I’m willing to bet the UFOs they keep seeing around are from China or Russia. 

Highly unlikely as some of the UFOs travel at 20km/hr.  As per those Navy pilots one descended from 27k feet to sea level in under 1 sec. Humans inside would be mush...and if the russians or chinese have tech that far ahead of everyone else they would have taken over already.

No....not human made. And the investigators involved have also said not human made (high level military officials and reputable scientists).

But these days who knows what is really going on lol.

42 minutes ago, Canuck Luck said:

Highly unlikely as some of the UFOs travel at 20km/hr.  As per those Navy pilots one descended from 27k feet to sea level in under 1 sec. Humans inside would be mush...and if the russians or chinese have tech that far ahead of everyone else they would have taken over already.

No....not human made. And the investigators involved have also said not human made (high level military officials and reputable scientists).

But these days who knows what is really going on lol.

The report that was released by the pentagon said nothing about aliens and mentioned the think it could be other countries.  
You’d be amazed and what the US is building, let alone the things we don’t know about.  

Don’t kid yourself, China could probably take over now if they wanted too, but they are just slowly buying everything out instead.  Lol

The Wright brothers’ first flight, 1903

famousphoto055.jpg

United Airlines Flight 175 approaches the south tower of New York’s World Trade Center

famousphoto030.jpg

A couple kisses on a street after riots broke out in Vancouver, British Columbia

famousphoto029.jpg

Michael Jordan 1984. The silhouette of this shot would become the Air Jordan logo.

famousphoto027.jpg

A young boy rescues a stroller after Tropical Storm Hannah ripped through Haiti, 2008.

Photography is a universal language — A young boy rescues a stroller near  his family's...

• Like 3
On 1/13/2022 at 1:42 PM, nuckin_futz said:

The Wright brothers’ first flight, 1903

famousphoto055.jpg

United Airlines Flight 175 approaches the south tower of New York’s World Trade Center

famousphoto030.jpg

A couple kisses on a street after riots broke out in Vancouver, British Columbia

famousphoto029.jpg

Michael Jordan 1984. The silhouette of this shot would become the Air Jordan logo.

famousphoto027.jpg

A young boy rescues a stroller after Tropical Storm Hannah ripped through Haiti, 2008.

Photography is a universal language — A young boy rescues a stroller near  his family's...

The story behind the kissing couple.

Us Aussies are full of love...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-06-18/stunned-aussie-in-canada-riot-kiss-photo/2762834

I was feeling so devastated that day, so close.

This story cheered me up somewhat.

4 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Pareidolia ?

I'm not sure if that's the right term as I thought Pareidolia was more about seeing something out of random patterns/objects, usually faces. 

In this case it was bending light from a Mnt Range near Chilliwack due to a weather inversion... actually could be something for the Flat Earthers. 

From the article..

What Engels was seeing was the peaks of the Cheam Range near Chilliwack, more than 180 kilometres away. Normally, these mountains would be on the other side of the horizon, hidden by the Earth's curvature and invisible to someone in Nanoose Bay.

"We can see it because of the bending of the light in the atmosphere," Goldblatt said.

In this case, Sunday's dry conditions allowed for a particularly crisp and clear mirage.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Young boy anticipating sweets

My Son Adam Looking At Sweets In A Bakery

Rescuing A Horse That Fell In The Canal. Amsterdam, 1929

Rescuing A Horse That Fell In The Canal. Amsterdam, 1929

A 'Knocker-Up' In London (1929). Before Alarm Clocks, People Were Paid To Wake Clients Up For Work By Knocking On Their Doors And Windows With A Stick

A 'Knocker-Up' In London (1929). Before Alarm Clocks, People Were Paid To Wake Clients Up For Work By Knocking On Their Doors And Windows With A Stick

Children In Newcastle Upon Tyne’s West End Play On Piled-Up Mattresses. England, 1981.

Children In Newcastle Upon Tyne’s West End Play On Piled-Up Mattresses. England, 1981.

^^^^^ This maybe doesn't seem like such a good idea.

Welsh Coal Miners Having A Round After Their Shift. C.1912

Welsh Coal Miners Having A Round After Their Shift. C.1912

Sun setting through waves

70,000+ Best Sunset Pictures · 100% Free Download · Pexels Stock Photos

• Like 2

Archduke Franz Ferdinand And His Wife Minutes Before Assassination That Would Lead To WW1, 1914 [colorized]

Archduke Franz Ferdinand And His Wife Minutes Before Assassination That Would Lead To Ww1, 1914 [colorized]

John F. Kennedy Campaigning Door-To-Door In West Virginia (1960)

John F. Kennedy Campaigning Door-To-Door In West Virginia (1960)

An Old Woman Leaving Her Home With Just A Portrait Of Her Husband And Rugs. Russian Soldiers Gave Her Just 5 Minutes To Pack Her Bags And Leave Before They Destroyed Her Home And Everything In It. Her Sons And Husband Were Already Dead. She Had Lost Everything. May 1995, Grozny

An Old Woman Leaving Her Home With Just A Portrait Of Her Husband And Rugs. Russian Soldiers Gave Her Just 5 Minutes To Pack Her Bags And Leave Before They Destroyed Her Home And Everything In It. Her Sons And Husband Were Already Dead. She Had Lost Everything. May 1995, Grozny

Indigenous Children Forced To Pray To God In A Residential School Ran By The Canadian Government And Catholic Church Between 1930 And 1970, Unknown Location

Indigenous Children Forced To Pray To God In A Residential School Ran By The Canadian Government And Catholic Church Between 1930 And 1970, Unknown Location

A Man Guards His Family From The Cannibals During The Madras Famine Of 1877 At The Time Of British Raj, India

A Man Guards His Family From The Cannibals During The Madras Famine Of 1877 At The Time Of British Raj, India

• Sad 2
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • 1 month later...