The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Does The Media And Many Fans Still Consider Our Defense Suspect?

Rate this topic

Rindiculous

On 1/7/2022 at 1:36 PM, IBatch said:

You are aware - that our 7th D in Ballard, was making the same cap percentage Myers has with us right?   

Again… you are making the opposite point you think you are.  I would love us to have a bunch of guys outplay Myers and push him down the lineup.

Also, Ballard’s deal $3.3 million AAV deal when signed was 5.82% of the cap.  Myers $6.0 million dollar deal was 7.36% when his deal was signed.

It was not the same cap percentage at all.  Ballard’s deal is equivalent to a little over $4.7 million in today’s dollars.  Less if you consider how cap inflation made it cheaper by the time that 2010-11 team was playing.

Edited by Provost

30 minutes ago, Provost said:

Again… you are making the opposite point you think you are.  I would love us to have a bunch of guys outplay Myers and push him down the lineup.

Also, Ballard’s deal $3.3 million AAV deal when signed was 5.82% of the cap.  Myers $6.0 million dollar deal was 7.36% when his deal was signed.

It was not the same cap percentage at all.  Ballard’s deal is equivalent to a little over $4.7 million in today’s dollars.  Less if you consider how cap inflation made it cheaper by the time that 2010-11 team was playing.

Sh!t i feel stupid right now.   Yes your right - i had the cap hit at 4.7, that's the equivalent.  Your right.   Still that's an expensive price to pay for a first and your 7th D.   I had Bieksa cap hit 4.6, with a 64.3 cap hit at the time in mind my mistake.  Same as Myers.   Back in 2011/2012 we had a bunch of guys making 4.5-6 plus on the books in today's money - Salo, Erhoff, Bieksa, Ballard, Edler, Hamhuis...six of them.    It wasn't a cheap defense.  Plus plus.  

Don't even know what my point is other then this - you need to pay to play.   And we are paying to play, but not like we did back then....I don't mind having cheap guys balancing out expensive guys.    And wish we had more of those guys in that range.   Seems like that's where you get the best value. 

Edited by IBatch

On 1/8/2022 at 3:13 PM, IBatch said:

Sh!t i feel stupid right now.   Yes your right - i had the cap hit at 4.7, that's the equivalent.  Your right.   Still that's an expensive price to pay for a first and your 7th D.   I had Bieksa cap hit 4.6, with a 64.3 cap hit at the time in mind my mistake.  Same as Myers. 

The salaries of D in that 2011 run. Only Hamhuis had a higher cap hit in today's dollars than Myers and it was about the same.  That was my entire point about Gillis purposefully building a deep defence rather than one or two top guys and then a bunch of depth pieces.

I wouldn't mind Myers being a 6-7 on our team like Ballard was... if there were several cheaper guys who just outplayed him.  That just isn't the case though.

Hamhuis $4.5 million
Bieksa $3.75 million
Salo $3.5 million
Ballard $3.3 million
Edler $3.25 million
Erhoff $3.1 million
Alberts $1.05 million
Rome $750k

$23.2 million for the top 8 defence... that equates to 39% of the salary cap on defence for what was certianly the deepest and one of the best defences in the entire league for several years.

Our current iteration is spending $29.1 million or 35.7% of the cap for one of the shallowest and worst performing defences in the league.  It is pretty clear that adjustments have to be made.

We are lucky that Demko is right at the top of the league in expected goals against... there is a graph in another thread showing how porous our defence is and how Demko is bailing them out regularly.

EDIT:  I realized doing this that Ohlund was already gone by the time of our runs.  Somehow in my mind he bridged the West Coast Express years to the Sedin years, and was still there for that 2011 deep run.  No idea why I remembered it that way (aside from being old), I don't have any memories of him during those playoffs of course... but had the memory that he was still there overlapping with Edler.  He had been gone to Tampa for two years already.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 3

On 1/8/2022 at 3:33 PM, Provost said:

The salaries of D in that 2011 run. Only Hamhuis had a higher cap hit in today's dollars than Myers and it was about the same.  That was my entire point about Gillis purposefully building a deep defence rather than one or two top guys and then a bunch of depth pieces.

I wouldn't mind Myers being a 6-7 on our team like Ballard was... if there were several cheaper guys who just outplayed him.  That just isn't the case though.

Hamhuis $4.5 million
Bieksa $3.75 million
Salo $3.5 million
Ballard $3.3 million
Edler $3.25 million
Erhoff $3.1 million
Alberts $1.05 million
Rome $750k

$23.2 million for the top 8 defence... that equates to 39% of the salary cap on defence for what was certianly the deepest and one of the best defences in the entire league for several years.

Our current iteration is spending $29.1 million or 35.7% of the cap for one of the shallowest and worst performing defences in the league.  It is pretty clear that adjustments have to be made.

We are lucky that Demko is right at the top of the league in expected goals against... there is a graph in another thread showing how porous our defence is and how Demko is bailing them out regularly.

But how much accounts to coaching? The defense has been better since Baumgartner left. I honestly think our current d although not rock solid were a casualty of poor structure. I think those numbers change with different coaching. 

Honestly I've never ever ever in my 30+ years  of watching hockey have I ever seen such an atrocious defensive strategy.

If Canucks had got rid of Green before the last season I don't think their defensive numbers would be so bad. 

When your whole strategy relies on having solid goaltending something is up. 

And I think Tanev was great here, but would have been much better without Baumgartner 

• Thanks 1