The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks trying to trade Halak

Just now, JM_ said:

I'd go with whatever Ian Clark had to say. If he thought he could fix Koskinen's game I'd be fine with it. 

Fair, but that's a lot to fix from someone who's shown no indication he's even good enough to play at the AHL level.  I'd feel more comfortable with DiPietro.

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Not fair to the players with the way they’ve battled back to hurt their chances at a playoff spot.

The pick we get will be like a 4th. What’s the point?

Even with that cap we’d still only be in for around 7 million for both goalies next season if we go with Demko and DiPietro or Silovs.

And yet, Halak has exactly 1 of the team's wins this year. 

Just now, King Heffy said:

Fair, but that's a lot to fix from someone who's shown no indication he's even good enough to play at the AHL level.  I'd feel more comfortable with DiPietro.

he's had flashes. He's certainly not a starter solution, or one beyond this season. 

But if the Coilers were desperate to do something dumb like give us a 2nd and retain 1/2 on Koskinen you have to think about it - but with the huge caveat that Clark see's a quick fix. We only need him for about 8-10 games so lots of practice time with Ian. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

he's had flashes. He's certainly not a starter solution, or one beyond this season. 

But if the Coilers were desperate to do something dumb like give us a 2nd and retain 1/2 on Koskinen you have to think about it - but with the huge caveat that Clark see's a quick fix. We only need him for about 8-10 games so lots of practice time with Ian. 

Even with that offer, I wouldn't do it.  It would be a huge hit to the confidence that Bruce has managed to rebuild in the room.  Koskinen also pulled a LE recently after being criticised by his coach for consistently playing like trash.  He's not an update over any of the guys in Abbotsford and helping out a division rival like that would be a disaster in the room.

Just now, AriGold said:

We have to.. 1.25M bonus goes onto next season if he plays another few games.. Also some teams really need him, he has real value that we need to explore..

I was kidding, I made a thread about this a few days ago.

If there's real desperation in the air - cough - Edmonton - you certainly need to listen. 

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Holloway is pretty good though, isn’t he?  Koskinen as a backup isn’t so bad, no?  

Holloway is a potential Kesler type player. You take this deal if it’s offered. Koskinen would get in like 7 games for the rest of the season as a backup. I doubt Edmonton would do the deal though. If all they’re getting back is a low salary goalie like Halak they don’t need to move Koskinen. 

23 minutes ago, AV. said:

He's a decent backup and certainly helps the team out, but no sense in keeping him around for a miracle run into the playoffs.  Better to ship him out and avoid that 1.25M.

Pretty much, having to carry over cap would be annoying. Holtby and Jake's buyouts are already going to be eating up most of Luongo coming off the books.

18 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Not fair to the players with the way they’ve battled back to hurt their chances at a playoff spot.

The pick we get will be like a 4th. What’s the point?

Even with that cap we’d still only be in for around 7 million for both goalies next season if we go with Demko and DiPietro or Silovs.

Lot of games between today and the deadline, lot of tough games amongst the next eleven. There's still a good chance we'll be out of it, and if it's trending more like we'll miss than make it I don't see why players wouldn't be on the table. 

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Even with that offer, I wouldn't do it.  It would be a huge hit to the confidence that Bruce has managed to rebuild in the room.  Koskinen also pulled a LE recently after being criticised by his coach for consistently playing like trash.  He's not an update over any of the guys in Abbotsford and helping out a division rival like that would be a disaster in the room.

thats fair. I would be interested to know what his real market value is tho. It all depends on the next road trip too, if we come out of that where we are today or a bit better I suspect JR will let the team have a real run at trying to make the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Pretty much, having to carry over cap would be annoying. Holtby and Jake's buyouts are already going to be eating up most of Luongo coming off the books.

Lot of games between today and the deadline, lot of tough games amongst the next eleven. There's still a good chance we'll be out of it, and if it's trending more like we'll miss than make it I don't see why players wouldn't be on the table. 

Of course it would be on the table, I doubt it is now though.

If we’re trading him it should be to Tampa not Edmonton.

Something like:

Colton

Elliot

for

Halak

5th

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Of course it would be on the table, I doubt it is now though.

If we’re trading him it should be to Tampa not Edmonton.

Something like:

Colton

Elliot

for

Halak

5th

Nah, now is unlikely.

And yeah, not interested in selling him to Edmonton unless they're willing to pay a higher price. Selling him to them on an expiring deal wouldn't be the end of the world though if they're willing to pay. 

2 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i read on a ranger board some time ago that they wanted miller but also halak for georgiev. they felt

that miller would cost them 2 of their younger prospects, someone else and the russian that left them for russia.

If they’re dangling Kravstov and Schneider we’re definitely listening.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

1-0-1 under Boudreau.

Halak was great in those losses. Greens systems stifled offense though. Not his fault.

Hes still a great backup.

I haven't denied his quality.  I'm just saying we're essentially replacing 1 win.

4 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i read on a ranger board some time ago that they wanted miller but also halak for georgiev. they felt

that miller would cost them 2 of their younger prospects, someone else and the russian that left them for russia.

thats interesting, I could see Halak going with Miller for sure. 

Just now, AV. said:

I haven't denied his quality.  I'm just saying we're essentially replacing 1 win.

I’m sure that will improve going forward.

Hes given them a chance in those losses and that’s all you can ask. Having a weak backup would equal a lot more demoralizing losses.