The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks trying to trade Halak

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

It seems the plan is to be well below the cap next year anyway, so the Halak bonus will be a non factor, right?  

Have to wait and see what happens...

I think Miller is definitely gone. One of Garland/Boeser perhaps as well and depending on the returns for some of those guys (younger mid 6 winger, RHD etc), I think there could be an actual off season market for guys like Myers and Pearson (replaced by said trade returns). So,  yeah, if they get most of what they'd like accomplished, it might not be a huge concern.

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

Oh well now I'm extra pissed Brock wasn't traded. Nice goal lastnight though cred where it due. Realistically if were gonna play the Motte wanted too much money so anything we got in return is fine. That holds true for Brock too He's not worth his current contract let alone a raise with term. Take what you can get and move him.

Boeser is under club control, it's not the same situation. At all. And the returns were obviously deemed less worthy than the risk of not moving him. He may still very well be moved in the summer. Relax.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, aGENT said:

Have to wait and see what happens...

I think Miller is definitely gone.

curious why so certain of this?

Just now, aGENT said:

One of Garland/Boeser perhaps as well and depending on the returns for some of those guys (younger mid 6 winger, RHD etc), I think there could be an actual off season market for guys like Myers and Pearson (replaced by said trade returns). So,  yeah, if they get most of what they'd like accomplished, it might not be a huge concern.

Boeser is under club control, it's not the same situation. At all. And the returns were obviously deemed less worthy than the risk of not moving him. He may still very well be moved in the summer. Relax.

I'm not sure how much of a market there will really be for any of our guys who still have term left. Maybe Myers to Dallas? 

55 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How many players can score the goal Brock did last night?  To beat a goalie clean from that distance, with a wrist shot (quick release) is a very rare skill.  We might trade Boeser, but it's more likely we re-sign him.  Garland will be the guy traded, and for sure cap space.  (picks, prospects, or a guy on an ELC)

It was a nice goal lastnight. Which I said in my post. 

Aside from that 95% of the game is played without the puck. I thought Halak, Pete, Garland, Miller were our best players lastnight. Brock was again invisible until he scored. he's got to dig deeper and play harder not just coast around waiting for a pass in the open with time. His goal was key tonight though. I need to see Brock start doing what it takes to win not just score a highlight reel goal once every 20 games. It's not enough for 6+M

Ovi scored 50 but never won anything until Trotz made him play without the puck. Brock isn't close to Ovi. Did Brock stuff a rush? Did he throw a hit, did he strip a puck? Did he get involved in a puck battle? You can't only be a goal scorer esp when you're on pace for what maybe he hits 25G? 

I want to see him get angry cross check Mckinnon, dive to break up a play, block a shot, show some kind of passion. It's like he's at the all star game every night. He plays with the same energy in the NHL as he does in Da Beauty league. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JM_ said:

Think it's highly likely need prefer to play in the US, on a contender and/or pay less taxes on his retirement deal. 

Also don't see any deal that works for the Canucks and Miller. He'll be wanting something +/- $8.5x8 and I don't think the Canucks are in any position to give him that contract, for numerous reasons.

3 hours ago, JM_ said:

I'm not sure how much of a market there will really be for any of our guys who still have term left. Maybe Myers to Dallas? 

Exactly, maybe to Dallas or Washington or Pittsburgh etc. They're not going to get a better top 4, RHD D for less money and especially not on only 2 years of term. The term being the key. That's a real nice, low commitment. The return may not be crazy but if we can replace him with some of this other moves (Boeser/Garland for Marino?), get younger, faster etc and clear cap...

• Vintage 1

On 3/24/2022 at 9:10 AM, JM_ said:

Anyone looking at someone for just a couple years may have interest in Myers. As well as anyone looking for size or as we've seen he has some playoff snarl. Pearson also has his trade restriction dropping to 7 teams making him way more easy to trade if management wants to go that route. He's having a pretty decent year. Should be close to 50 points.

• Cheers 1

On 3/24/2022 at 11:29 AM, aGENT said:

Think it's highly likely need prefer to play in the US, on a contender and/or pay less taxes on his retirement deal. 

Also don't see any deal that works for the Canucks and Miller. He'll be wanting something +/- $8.5x8 and I don't think the Canucks are in any position to give him that contract, for numerous reasons.

Exactly, maybe to Dallas or Washington or Pittsburgh etc. They're not going to get a better top 4, RHD D for less money and especially not on only 2 years of term. The term being the key. That's a real nice, low commitment. The return may not be crazy but if we can replace him with some of this other moves (Boeser/Garland for Marino?), get younger, faster etc and clear cap...

I could see a myers for marino trade, but Marino is a 2nd pair D... maybe we sign letang and pit lets him walk if they get Myers 

15 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

I could see a myers for marino trade, but Marino is a 2nd pair D... maybe we sign letang and pit lets him walk if they get Myers 

Or maybe we keep Myers and call it a day.

21 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

No, I think we'd move Myers to a Dallas, Washington etc who have expiring RD, closing windows etc, and separately move Garland/Boeser for Marino.

11 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Anyone looking at someone for just a couple years may have interest in Myers. As well as anyone looking for size or as we've seen he has some playoff snarl. Pearson also has his trade restriction dropping to 7 teams making him way more easy to trade if management wants to go that route. He's having a pretty decent year. Should be close to 50 points.

If we do move Myers this summer, I hope there's a solid replacement plan. Its really those Hamonic, Poolman and Dickinson deals that had to go for sure, so 1/3 so far. 

Do you really think Pearson gets to 50?

Totally. I think that RD succession and upgrade plan has to be at the forefront of management's thought process. Our biggest hole right now. It will be costly and may take a year or two so we may have to ride out Myers ... but I hope they move him and replace. 

Poolman and Dickinson will be hard to move. Not sure if they want to pay someone to take them or maybe buy out Dickinson or trade him with salary retained. Poolman buyout looks ugly. We may be stuck with him as our #7. Hopefully he progresses, he was not bad at times.

Sorry my math was off on Pearson. I had it in my mind he was on place for 47 but it's actually 42. I will say 45 is doable riding Miller's wing. ::D I think he's movable in the summer when teams are filling holes on their roster. Especially the fledgling teams like AZ, Buff, Seattle, Ott, may want a stop gap/veteran capable of putting up some points that can play a variety of roles. Those guys might all be on his 7 team block list though. :unsure:

14 hours ago, JM_ said:

If we do move Myers this summer, I hope there's a solid replacement plan. Its really those Hamonic, Poolman and Dickinson deals that had to go for sure, so 1/3 so far. 

Do you really think Pearson gets to 50?

He is on pace for 42 points so that's a bit lofty. Even at that his 3.25x2 he would be a decent trade chip.