The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks trying to trade Halak

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Why is there a cap penalty for next year?  Did he get performance bonuses or something? 

There is a roll over bonus or 1.25 million if he plays 10+ games for the Canucks. Additional bonus if he's at least .905 save percentage. 

So, considering our position on cap right now, it would make sense that we would look at moving him before the deadline to avoid that. Also, considering how he's playing, I would think we could get something for him.

I like Halak, I think he's been exactly what we needed in a backup goalie for Demko, but I wouldn't hesitate to trade him for futures, if the right offer came along.

I think we are likely a playoff team this year, but we're not a Cup team.

If someone offered an okay backup and a reasonable pick, I'd probably move him in a heartbeat.

Edited by VegasCanuck
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

There is a roll over bonus or 1.25 million if he plays 10+ games for the Canucks. Additional bonus if he's at least .905 save percentage. 

So, considering our position on cap right now, it would make sense that we would look at moving him before the deadline to avoid that. Also, considering how he's playing, I would think we could get something for him.

The cap is not that big of a deal.

We’d have about 2 million committed to a backup next season with Halaks performance bonus.  

That’s essentially adding 500k to our current goalie budget.

Doubt they make a move for that reason alone. A team would have to offer at least a 2nd round pick (which I’m not sure will happen).

Just now, gurn said:

Halak has played 8 games and his save % is .915

He struggled early on making the first save of the game, but in the last month, he has been awesome from start to finish.

If we can get something for him, I would definitely do it!

• Upvote 1

Makes zero sense as Halak is our only dependable backup option... what if Demko goes down *knock on wood*?? Halak has been great for us.... let's not be cheap and throw him away unless it's for a 2nd round pick?? But still... DiPietro isn't ready yet for NHL!

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Vancouver acquires:

Kravtsov

Schneider

Georgiev

2nd round pick 

NYR receives:

Miller

Halak

As much as I like what Miller brings you take that deal.

With this teams timeline to compete, to get two blue chip prospects on cheap contracts (one in a position of dire need in Schneider) is a no brainer.

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The cap is not that big of a deal.

We’d have about 2 million committed to a backup next season with Halaks performance bonus.  

That’s essentially adding 500k to our current goalie budget.

Doubt they make a move for that reason alone. A team would have to offer at least a 2nd round pick (which I’m not sure will happen).

No, the cap is a big deal because people on this board still moan about Luongo's contract.  Virtanen and Holtby we can't do anything about, but we can avoid incurring cap from Halak.

We have to be sensible.  It's been nice to win these games but the reality is we still need a LOT to go right to make playoffs.  No sense in hoping for that good luck.  It's much better to do the responsible thing and move him on.  It's better we have money to spend next year, when a true clean slate is given, than right now when we're 30 games deep at barely a .500 record.

Edited by AV.

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

As much as I like what Miller brings you take that deal.

With this teams timeline to compete, to get two blue chip prospects on cheap contracts (one in a position of dire need in Schneider) is a no brainer.

A couple of problems with that deal though are:

1. Georgiev will be an expensive RFA this summer (> what Halak's total cap hit would be if he stayed with us next year)
  2. Neither of those prospects are centres, so we'd be left with a gaping hole at C losing Miller.

Sure, why not he should fetch an OK price… with how Boudreau plays his starters we probably only need another 6-8 starts from a back up for the rest of the season, less if this is a deadline move which it should be… more chance of teams design with injuries and increasing the demand for Halak.  One of our guys from the farm can do the spot duty and it will be good for them.

6 minutes ago, AV. said:

No, the cap is a big deal because people on this board still moan about Luongo's contract.  Virtanen and Holtby we can't do anything about, but we can avoid incurring cap from Halak.

We have to be sensible.  It's been nice to win these games but the reality is we still need a LOT to go right to make playoffs.  No sense in hoping for that good luck.  It's much better to do the responsible thing and move him on.  It's better we have money to spend next year, when a true clean slate is given, than right now when we're 30 games deep at barely a .500 record.

It’s not actually because there’s no way we should be a cap team right now. 

JR and co will be shipping out contracts for younger players so what the cap is at right now is not relevant.

With Luongos penalty coming off and the cap going up a mil it will cover Halaks bonus and the Holtby and Virtanen buyouts anyways.

Cap will not be the consideration here.

27 minutes ago, Jayinblack said:

A couple of problems with that deal though are:

1. Georgiev will be an expensive RFA this summer (> what Halak's total cap hit would be if he stayed with us next year)
  2. Neither of those prospects are centres, so we'd be left with a gaping hole at C losing Miller.

Well you gotta believe that the team is still committed to Pettersson as the number 1 center. That puts Horvat as the number 2.

With Miller being 28 he doesn’t really fit into the timeline.

Going out and getting a big physical right shot D is more important than Center depth right now.

Draft a center in the upcoming draft and keep building that way.

It also allows you to retain Boeser or trade him since Kravstov could replace him.

Garland Pettersson Kravstov 

Hoglander Horvat Boeser

Pearson (insert center) Podkolzin

Hughes Schneider

OEL Myers

Rathbone Poolman

Saves money and even allows us to dump Hamonic.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Quantum said:

Not surprising. It makes a ton of sense. Halak is good enough to be a starter on several teams right now (Oilers, Sabres, Sharks, Bruins, Flyers) and if Halak plays 10 games an overage bonus will be on the Canucks cap next season.

Benning gave Halak an NMC for some god damn reason so moving him will be a little harder BUT I think if Halak has a path to be a #1 elsewhere, he likely waives to go elsewhere.

With Rutherford in charge, expect a lot of players to be traded. These rumors are only going to ramp up. Halak, Pearson, Poolman, Motte, Dickinson, Lammikko, Highmore, Chaisson will all be dangled in trades. It's clear that Rutherford believes a lot of work needs to be done with this team and he's gonna be getting whatever prospects/picks he can for the assets he inherited from Benning's regime.

lol rask is coming back to boston and goaltending is hardly the issue with the flyers.. hart have a .917 sv% sabers are rebuilding and u ain't trading him to teams you are chasing unless you already threw in the white towel.. 

halak 100% would not consider vancouver if there wasn't a ntc nor would he signed for only 1.5mil guranateed.. bonus ain't a guranateed thing.. there's plenty of interest for his service and the NTC won him over as he gets to decide where he goes. 

halak won't be moved if we are still battling for a playoff spot come tdl and he doubt he waive to move until he hits his bonus. pearson and motte have value.. the rest have 0 value if u toss on waiver probably go unclaimed lol. poolman and dickinson can play but no one would want them at their cap/term lol.

• Wat 1

11 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol rask is coming back to boston and goaltending is hardly the issue with the flyers.. hart have a .917 sv% sabers are rebuilding and u ain't trading him to teams you are chasing unless you already threw in the white towel.. 

halak 100% would not consider vancouver if there wasn't a ntc nor would he signed for only 1.5mil guranateed.. bonus ain't a guranateed thing.. there's plenty of interest for his service and the NTC won him over as he gets to decide where he goes. 

halak won't be moved if we are still battling for a playoff spot come tdl and he doubt he waive to move until he hits his bonus. pearson and motte have value.. the rest have 0 value if u toss on waiver probably go unclaimed lol. poolman and dickinson can play but no one would want them at their cap/term lol.

F the other teams and what they need or want.  Halak to the Coilers for Holloway.  That’s fair.  

1 hour ago, Teemu Selänne said:

I agree he's not great, but if the Canucks have any hope in making the show this year, it's with riding Demko. I don't think it'd be throwing in the towel if the goalie is gonna play 4 or 5 games lol.

the way I see it , it could go a couple of ways

best case scenario Koskinin comes in, feels the love from Bruce and becomes a perfectly servicable back up - no problems

However, if that does not happen

You have said 4-5 games and the Canucks have 5 b2b sets as well as 6 PPD games to be rescheduled

if Koskinin cannot win those games that is 10 points we are guaranteed to lose including games against Buffalo and Arizona (must wins for a team in our position)

you have also set up Demko for a 70 game season

then there is the Halak effect on Edmonton, they could turn it around just as fast as Vancouver did when BB took over

That would set up a Halak/Koskinin showdown in game 82 or Halak against Demko playing b2b to close the season

its doable, but your margin for error is cut pretty slim

12 minutes ago, lmm said:

the interesting thing about Koskinen is that  as bad as he has looked the last few games

his W-L record is the best it has been since he came to Edmonton

Interesting. I'm not going to debate the pros and pitfalls of Koskinan's game but I will say the Coilers are a mess in their own end. Barrie is useless inside his own blue line. Their top two players backcheck like beer leaguers. Draisatel inpartucular, is brutal. Nurse is overrated and slow to make the right decisions. I suspect he would have a lot better numbers on a well structured team that actually knows how to play in their own end. 

• Like 1