The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

In Memoriam, 2022: Legendary TV Broadcaster Barbara Walters Dead at 93, Pope Benedict XVI (95)

DonLever

Alan White drummer for Yes, has passed away:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/music/news/alan-white-yes-drummer-and-rock-and-roll-hall-of-famer-dead-at-72/ar-AAXMkeO?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=3c095f63ee8c4721be7809013ece882d

Alan White, the prolific, acclaimed drummer from the progressive rock band Yes, has died. He was 72.

White's family confirmed the news of his passing in a statement posted to Facebook, sharing that the famed rocker died on Thursday after "a brief illness."

"Throughout his life and six-decade career, Alan was many things to many people: a certified rock star to fans around the world; band mate to a select few, and gentleman and friend to all who met him," the statement shared.

White was born in Pelton, County Durham, England on June 14, 1949. He began playing the drums when he was only 12 and was performing in public at gigs around a year later.

After performing with a string of different bands in the 1960s -- including The Downbeats, The Gamblers, Billy Fury, Alan Price Big Band, Bell and Arc and Ginger Baker’s Airforce -- White received a call from John Lennon in 1969 and was asked to join the Plastic Ono Band.

After working with Lennon on a number of major recordings -- and performing with George Harrison -- White joined Yes in 1972, replacing their founding drummer only three days before the band embarked on their North American tour.

White remained with Yes ever since -- up to the band's most recent album, The Quest, released in October 2021. In 2017, White was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of the band.

White is survived by his wife of 40 years, Rogena, as well as his son Jesse and daughter Cassi.

9 hours ago, gurn said:

Alan White drummer for Yes, has passed away:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/music/news/alan-white-yes-drummer-and-rock-and-roll-hall-of-famer-dead-at-72/ar-AAXMkeO?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=3c095f63ee8c4721be7809013ece882d

Alan White, the prolific, acclaimed drummer from the progressive rock band Yes, has died. He was 72.

White's family confirmed the news of his passing in a statement posted to Facebook, sharing that the famed rocker died on Thursday after "a brief illness."

"Throughout his life and six-decade career, Alan was many things to many people: a certified rock star to fans around the world; band mate to a select few, and gentleman and friend to all who met him," the statement shared.

White was born in Pelton, County Durham, England on June 14, 1949. He began playing the drums when he was only 12 and was performing in public at gigs around a year later.

After performing with a string of different bands in the 1960s -- including The Downbeats, The Gamblers, Billy Fury, Alan Price Big Band, Bell and Arc and Ginger Baker’s Airforce -- White received a call from John Lennon in 1969 and was asked to join the Plastic Ono Band.

After working with Lennon on a number of major recordings -- and performing with George Harrison -- White joined Yes in 1972, replacing their founding drummer only three days before the band embarked on their North American tour.

White remained with Yes ever since -- up to the band's most recent album, The Quest, released in October 2021. In 2017, White was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of the band.

White is survived by his wife of 40 years, Rogena, as well as his son Jesse and daughter Cassi.

Imagine a band with that kind of longevity and the only two drummers you ever had were Bill Bruford and Alan White....:blink:

With Chris Squire gone and now White, they've lost one of the great rhythm sections in prog-rock history...RIP Alan...

• Upvote 1

Ronnie Hawkins, Rockabilly Legend Who Mentored Rock’s Greatest, Dead at 87

Ronnie Hawkins, the Canadian rockabilly singer known as “the Hawk,” who mentored the Band and played with rock’s greats, died Sunday morning. He was 87.

“He went peacefully and he looked as handsome as ever,” Wanda Hawkins, his wife, told the Canadian Press. A cause of death was not immediately available.

Though he was born in Arkansas, Hawkins called Canada home for most of his career. and was considered a formative influence on the evolution of the country’s rock scene thanks to his passion for Southern blues music.

In the late 1950s and early 1960s, Hawkins played with a backing band called the Hawks, which included Robbie Robertson, Rick Danko, Levon Helm, Garth Hudson, and Richard Manuel. In 1963, the Hawks split from Hawkins. Eventually, they became Bob Dylan’s backup band. And then, just The Band.

In a Rolling Stone profile of The Band’s early days as the Hawks, a then-teenage Robbie Robertson recounted how Hawkins helped him shape his craft:

“When the music got a little too far out for Ronnie’s ear,” Robbie remembers, “or he couldn’t tell when to come in singing, he would tell us that nobody but Thelonious Monk could understand what we were playing. But the big thing with him was that he made us rehearse and practice a lot. Often we would go and play until one a.m. and then rehearse until four. And I practiced incessantly; I could go for it until my fingers were just raw. I was interested in doing what those other people couldn’t do; I really wanted to be good.”

Decades later, Robertson would thank Hawkins again during the group’s 1994 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction speech: “We should thank Ronnie Hawkins in being so instrumental in us coming together and for teaching us the ‘code of the road,’ so to speak,” Robertson said.

Hawkins famously joined the group in Martin Scorsese’s 1978 classic The Last Waltz.

Always more a live dynamo than a studio musician, Hawkins scored hits with rollicking covers of Bo Diddley’s “Who Do You Love?” and Chuck Berry’s “Thirty Days” (Hawkins titled his cover “Forty Days”).

Unlike many of his musical peers, Hawkins never returned to the U.S. full time (though he retained his citizenship). His love for his chosen homeland was one of the cornerstones of his reputation.

Hawkins was honored with a number of prestigious Canadian music awards throughout his career, including a Juno Award for country male vocalist of the year in 1982 and lifetime achievement awards from the Junos (1996) and the Society of Composers, Authors and Music Publishers of Canada (SOCAN) in 2007.

Perhaps because of his dual citizenship and his big personality, Hawkins was a natural at bringing together disparate genres and musicians. As the CBC noted, he recorded with everyone from Duane Allman to The Happy Hooker author Xaviera Hollander and played Bob Dylan in Dylan’s 1978 flop Renaldo and Clara.

“If the world had more people like Ronnie Hawkins, we’d do less stupid things to each other, we’d hurt fewer people, we’d have a lot more laughs,” Bill Clinton said in the 2004 documentary Hawkins: Still Alive and Kickin’. “I’ve never met another one like him.”

• Sad 2

• DonLever changed the title to In Memoriam, 2022: Fred Ward (79), David Milgaard (69), Ray Liotta (67), Thomas Ulsrud (50), Alan White (72), Andy Fletcher (60), Ronnie Hawkins (87)
15 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Ronnie Hawkins, Rockabilly Legend Who Mentored Rock’s Greatest, Dead at 87

Ronnie Hawkins, the Canadian rockabilly singer known as “the Hawk,” who mentored the Band and played with rock’s greats, died Sunday morning. He was 87.

“He went peacefully and he looked as handsome as ever,” Wanda Hawkins, his wife, told the Canadian Press. A cause of death was not immediately available.

Though he was born in Arkansas, Hawkins called Canada home for most of his career. and was considered a formative influence on the evolution of the country’s rock scene thanks to his passion for Southern blues music.

In the late 1950s and early 1960s, Hawkins played with a backing band called the Hawks, which included Robbie Robertson, Rick Danko, Levon Helm, Garth Hudson, and Richard Manuel. In 1963, the Hawks split from Hawkins. Eventually, they became Bob Dylan’s backup band. And then, just The Band.

In a Rolling Stone profile of The Band’s early days as the Hawks, a then-teenage Robbie Robertson recounted how Hawkins helped him shape his craft:

“When the music got a little too far out for Ronnie’s ear,” Robbie remembers, “or he couldn’t tell when to come in singing, he would tell us that nobody but Thelonious Monk could understand what we were playing. But the big thing with him was that he made us rehearse and practice a lot. Often we would go and play until one a.m. and then rehearse until four. And I practiced incessantly; I could go for it until my fingers were just raw. I was interested in doing what those other people couldn’t do; I really wanted to be good.”

Decades later, Robertson would thank Hawkins again during the group’s 1994 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction speech: “We should thank Ronnie Hawkins in being so instrumental in us coming together and for teaching us the ‘code of the road,’ so to speak,” Robertson said.

Hawkins famously joined the group in Martin Scorsese’s 1978 classic The Last Waltz.

Always more a live dynamo than a studio musician, Hawkins scored hits with rollicking covers of Bo Diddley’s “Who Do You Love?” and Chuck Berry’s “Thirty Days” (Hawkins titled his cover “Forty Days”).

Unlike many of his musical peers, Hawkins never returned to the U.S. full time (though he retained his citizenship). His love for his chosen homeland was one of the cornerstones of his reputation.

Hawkins was honored with a number of prestigious Canadian music awards throughout his career, including a Juno Award for country male vocalist of the year in 1982 and lifetime achievement awards from the Junos (1996) and the Society of Composers, Authors and Music Publishers of Canada (SOCAN) in 2007.

Perhaps because of his dual citizenship and his big personality, Hawkins was a natural at bringing together disparate genres and musicians. As the CBC noted, he recorded with everyone from Duane Allman to The Happy Hooker author Xaviera Hollander and played Bob Dylan in Dylan’s 1978 flop Renaldo and Clara.

“If the world had more people like Ronnie Hawkins, we’d do less stupid things to each other, we’d hurt fewer people, we’d have a lot more laughs,” Bill Clinton said in the 2004 documentary Hawkins: Still Alive and Kickin’. “I’ve never met another one like him.”

What a icon. Losing Ronnie hurts. Taught so many.

• 2 weeks later...

Jim Seals- of Seal and Croft, has passed away at age 80.

Absolute classic song:

im Seals, who as part of the duo Seals and Crofts crafted memorably wistful 1970s hits like “Summer Breeze” and “Diamond Girl,” died Monday at age 80. No cause of death was immediately given.

Several friends and relatives confirmed the death. “I just learned that James ‘Jimmy Seals has passed,” announced his cousin Brady Seals, famed as a member of the country band Little Texas, Monday night. “My heart just breaks for his wife Ruby and their children. Please keep them in your prayers. What an incredible legacy he leaves behind.”

Wrote John Ford Coley, “This is a hard one on so many levels as this is a musical era passing for me. And it will never pass this way again, as his song said,” wrote John Ford Coley, he added, referring to the Seals and Croft hit “We May Never Pass This Way (Again).” Coley was a member of another hit duo of the era, England Dan and John Ford Coley, with Jim Seals’ younger brother, the late Dan Seals.

“You and Dan finally get reunited again,” Coley further wrote. “Tell him and your sweet momma hi for me.”

With Jim Seals as the primary lead vocalist of the harmonizing duo, Seals and Crofts came to be the very emblem of “soft rock” with a run of hits that lasted for only about six years. Although none of the pair’s hits ever reached No. 1 on the Hot 100, their biggest songs were for a time as ubiquitous as any that did top the chart. “Summer Breeze” in 1972 and “Diamond Girl” in 1973 both reached No. 6, as did a more upbeat song in 1976, “Get Closer,” sung with Carolyn Willis.

Besides those three songs that reached the top 10 on the Hot 100, four more made it to the adult contemporary chart’s top 10: “We May Never Pass This Way (Again)” in ’73, “I’ll Play for You” in ’75, “Goodbye Old Buddies” in ’77 and “You’re the Love” in ’78.

Critic Robert Christgau called the duo “folk-schlock,” but Seals and Crofts had the last laugh — or would have, if crowing with vindication was part of the Baha’i way. Both members of the duo were deeply embedded in that peace-loving faith from the late ’60s forward.

The duo broke up in 1980, followed by a couple of very fleeting reunions in the early ’90s and early 2000s, which generated only one album after their original run, the little-noticed “Traces” in 2004, They never reembarked together on the kind of nostalgia-stoking package tours that would have seemed a natural for an act with so many well-remembered hits. But neither member showed a particularly heavy interest in chasing the limelight after the 1970s.

John Ford Coley shared his thoughts at length in a Facebook post. “I spent a large portion of my musical life with this man,” he wrote. “He was Dan’s older brother, (and) it was Jimmy that gave Dan and me our stage name. He taught me how to juggle, made me laugh, pissed me off, encouraged me, showed me amazing worlds and different understandings on life, especially on a philosophical level; showed me how expensive golf was and how to never hit a golf ball because next came the total annihilation of a perfectly good golf club, and the list goes on and on. We didn’t always see eye to eye, especially as musicians, but we always got along and I thought he was a bona fide, dyed-in the-wool musical genius and a very deep and contemplative man. He was an enigma and I always had regard for his opinion.

“I listened to him and I learned from him,” Coley continued. “We didn’t always agree and it wasn’t always easy and it wasn’t always fun but it definitely was always entertaining for sure. Dan adored his older brother and it was because of Jimmy opening doors for us that we came to Los Angeles to record and meet the right people. … He belonged to a group that was one of a kind. I am very sad over this but I have some of the best memories of all of us together.”

For several years in the late ’50s and early ’60s, both Seals and Dash Crofts — who survives his partner — were members of a group that bore little stylistic similarity to their later act: the Champs, although they joined after that band had recorded its signature hit, “Tequila.” Seals played sax in that group and Crofts was on drums.

James Eugene Seals was born in 1942 to an oilman, Wayland Seals, and his wife Cora. ““There were oil rigs as far as you could see,” Seals told an interviewer of his upbringing in Iraan, Texas. “And the stench was so bad you couldn’t breathe.” Jim became transfixed by a visiting fiddler and his father ordered him an instrument from the Sears catalog when he was 5 or 6. In a 1952 contest in west Texas, Jim won the fiddle division while his father triumphed in the guitar category. His little brother, Dan, later to be a pop star himself, took up the stand-up bass.

Jim took up sax at age 13 and began playing with a local band, the Crew Cats, when rock ‘n’ roll broke out in 1955. The shy musician joined up with the more outgoing Darrell “Dash” Crofts, who was two years older and grew up the son of a Texas cattle rancher, inviting his friend to join the Crew Cats as well. In 1958, the offer came to join the Champs, who’d recently had a No. 1 smash with “Tequila.” They stayed with that band till quitting in 1965.

The pair moved to L.A. and joined a group called the Dawnbreakers. Their manager, Marcia Day, was a member of the Baha’i faith, and the house they shared on Sunset Blvd. was full of adherents as well as secular members of the local rock scene; in 1967, several years before having their first hit, both Seals and Crofts converted.

Abandoning their former instruments for something more folk-rock-friendly, Seals took up the guitar and Crofts learned the mandolin. Their first three albums as a duo, between 1969-71, had a sweet sound but went little-noticed. They tried cutting “Summer Breeze” earlier but didn’t come up with a version they liked until their third album in 1972, which they named after the track. It caught on at radio, region by region. Seals told Texas Monthly about noting the sudden shift when they arrived for a gig in Ohio: “There were kids waiting for us at the airport. That night we had a record crowd, maybe 40,000 people. And I remember people throwing their hats and coats in the air as far as you could see, against the moon. Prettiest thing you’ve ever seen.”

After several more major and minor hits followed, including “Diamond Girl,” wrote Texas Monthly, the duo had their own private jet yet “would come out and sit at the edge of the stage and hold firesides about the Baha’i faith with curious fans. In 1974 they played the California jam, along with Deep Purple and the Eagles, in front of hundreds of thousands. When Jim pulled out his fiddle for a hoedown on ‘Fiddle in the Sky,’ throngs of  sunbaked hippies clapped along.”

The duo stirred controversy in 1974 by recording an anti-abortion song, “Unborn Child,” as their album’s track in 1974 in the wake of the Roe v. Wade decision. The belief that abortion was wrong came out of their shared Baha’i beliefs, and they released it over the objections of their label, Warner Bros.

By the time they broke up in 1980, their brand of music was finding far less of a place in disco-fied top 40 stations. Seals moved to Costa Rica with his wife, Ruby, where they were reported to have run a coffee farm as they raised their three children, and Crofts and his family moved to Mexico and eventually Australia.

Seals, who later moved to Nashville, was considered to have been retired from a music career even before he suffered a stroke in 2017 that put a halt to his playing.

The Seals name has a legacy in music that goes beyond just Jim’s, as multiple generations in the family tree have taken up performing or songwriting. Besides brother Dan Seals’ tenure with England Dan and John Ford Coley and cousin Brady Seals’ success with Little Texas, another cousin, Troy Seals, is a Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame member responsible for such hits as “Seven Spanish Angels,” and in the ’50s his uncle Charles “Chuck” Seals co-wrote the Ray Price classic “Crazy Arms.”

• Sad 1

• DonLever changed the title to In Memoriam, 2022: Fred Ward (79), David Milgaard (69), Ray Liotta (67), Thomas Ulsrud (50), Alan White (72), Andy Fletcher (60), Ronnie Hawkins (87), Jim Seals (80)
  • DonLever changed the title to In Memoriam, 2022: Ray Liotta (67), Thomas Ulsrud (50), Alan White (72), Andy Fletcher (60), Ronnie Hawkins (87), Jim Seals (80), Philip Baker Hall (90)

I know he was a Flame, but I always liked Bearcat:

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/beloved-calgary-flames-trainer-jim-bearcat-murray-dead-at-89-1.5946132

Legendary Flames trainer Jim "Bearcat" Murray passed away on Tuesday morning after taking a fall in his backyard on the weekend.

Murray was the Flames' trainer from the time they arrived in Calgary in 1980 until his retirement in 1996.

"The entire Calgary Sports and Entertainment Corporation family extends our deepest condolences to the family and friends of Jim 'Bearcat' Murray, who passed away on June 14 at the age of 89," said the team in a statement.

More in the link....

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Sad 1

Unfortunately, I don't have the kind of money that would allow me to just pick up and head to London, but I'd love to see this concert:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/music/news/foo-fighters-announce-initial-slate-of-superstar-guests-for-taylor-hawkins-tribute-concerts/ar-AAYuhQM?li=AAggFp5

Foo Fighters Announce Initial Slate of Superstar Guests for Taylor Hawkins Tribute Concerts

he initial roster of guests for the London edition of the upcoming Taylor Hawkins Tribute Concert will feature a long list of artists who were the north stars in the late Foo Fighters drummer’s musical universe. The band announced the first group of musicians who will perform at Wembley Stadium in London on Sept. 3 on Wednesday morning (June 15), and it includes former Oasis singer Liam Gallagher, Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson of Rush, Queen’s Brian May and Roger Taylor, former Police drummer Stewart Copeland and Queens of the Stone Age’s Josh Homme.

More in the link...

• 3 weeks later...

Sonny Barger (founder of the HA) passed away today at 83

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/hells-angels-founder-sonny-barger-dead-83-rcna36126

June 30, 2022, 8:04 AM PDT
By Antonio Planas and Diana Dasrath

The founder of the Hells Angels Sonny Barger has died at 83 after a battle with cancer, according to a social media statement and his former attorney.

A statement on Barger's Facebook page notes his death.

His former attorney, Fritz Clapp, told NBC News in a phone call Thursday he died peacefully at his home Wednesday night following a bout with liver cancer.

The statement on his Facebook page said he's lived a long and adventurous life and is survived by his wife, Zorana.

Image: Sonny Barger, right, and an unidentified member from the New York chapter stand in front of a group of Hell's Angels members on motorcycles.Sonny Barger, right, President of the Hells Angels and an unidentified member from the New York chapter stand in front of a group of Hells Angels members on motorcycles. Bettmann Archive / Getty Images file

Get the Morning Rundown

Get a head start on the morning's top stories.

THIS SITE IS PROTECTED BY RECAPTCHA PRIVACY POLICY | TERMS OF SERVICE

“If you are reading this message, you’ll know that I’m gone. I’ve asked that this note be posted immediately after my passing,” the statement said. “I’ve lived a long and good life filled with adventure. And I’ve had the privilege to be part of an amazing club. Although I’ve had a public persona for decades, i’ve mostly enjoyed special time with my club brothers, my family, and close friends. Please know that I passed peacefully after a brief battle with cancer. But also know that in the end, I was surrounded by what really matters: My wife, Zorana, as well as my loved ones. Keep your head up high, stay loyal, remain free, and always value honor."

The post ended with Barger signing off as Sonny and noting HAMCO, an acronym for the Hells Angels Motorcycle Club Oakland.

Barger was born Ralph Hubert Barger Jr. in Modesto, California. He formed the Hells Angels in 1957 in Oakland. He has also served as a technical consultant for films about the Hells Angels including "Hell’s Angels on Wheels" and "Hell’s Angels ‘69," movies he appeared in.

Barger’s book "Hell's Angel: The Life and Times of Sonny Barger and the Hell's Angels Motorcycle Club" details his life and experiences with the notorious club. In it, he shed light on the history and evolution of the Hells Angels and included stories about their run-ins with the law.

Barger also wrote "Credos from the Road" and co-authored "Ridin' High, Livin' Free: Hell-raising Motorcycle Stories."

Edited by Ronaldoescobar

3 hours ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/hells-angels-founder-sonny-barger-dead-83-rcna36126

To live that hard and live to 83 is a testament to that man's will. 

His autobiography was a great read...and the cover was designes to look like someone had been snorting lines off it...clever. 

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Actually it was members of the Bishop family and a guy called Otto Freddi that founded the First Chapter, The Fontana chapter in 1948. 

Sonny founded the Oakland chapter in 1957. 

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Actually it was members of the Bishop family and a guy called Otto Freddi that founded the First Chapter, The Fontana chapter in 1948. 

Sonny founded the Oakland chapter in 1957. 

You’re right. Although not solely, Sonny was the one that united the different chapters and really grew the club. 

Edited by Ronaldoescobar
  • Cheers 1

• DonLever changed the title to In Memoriam, 2022: Sonny Barger (83) (Hell Angels), Joe Turkel (94) (Actor)

Joe Turkel Dead: 'The Shining' Bartender Was 94 - Variety

Joe Turkel, the prolific character actor well known for his roles in “The Shining” and “Blade Runner,” died at St. John’s Hospital in Santa Monica, Calif. on Monday, a representative has confirmed to Variety. He was 94.

A prolific performer with over 100 credits in various films and TV shows, Turkel is best known for his supporting roles in three Stanley Kubrick films, including his first feature “The Killing,” “Paths of Glory” and “The Shining,” where he played the often-parodied role of the ghostly bartender Lloyd. He also had a prominent role in the original 1982 “Blade Runner,” as eccentric replicant creator Eldon Tyrell.

Turkel was born in Brooklyn in 1927, and joined the U.S. Army at age 17, serving in Europe during World War II. Following the war, he moved to California to pursue acting, and landed his first film credit with “City Across the River” in 1948.

Joseph Turkel

Edited by DonLever

Bryan Marchment has passed away unexpectedly in Montreal....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/curling/former-nhl-defenceman-bryan-marchment-dies-at-53/ar-AAZh7rQ?li=AAggNb9

Former NHL defenceman Bryan Marchment died unexpectedly Wednesday in Montreal, his agent said. He was 53.

Longtime agent Rick Curran confirmed Marchment’s death to The Associated Press. Marchment was attending the NHL draft in Montreal as a scout for San Jose Sharks.

A cause of death was not immediately available.

"Bryan's lifelong love of hockey was unparalleled, and he was amongst the most dedicated, physical and fiercest players ever to play the game," the Sharks said in a statement.

Marchment played parts of 17 NHL seasons from 1989-2006 with Winnipeg, Chicago, Hartford, Edmonton, Tampa Bay, San Jose, Colorado, Toronto and Calgary. 

The Toronto native had been working in scouting and other roles for the Sharks and their American Hockey League affiliate since 2007.

Marchment was known for playing with an edge, and sometimes going over it. He is 31st overall in career NHL penalty minutes with 2,307. He was suspended 13 times by the league in his first 12 NHL seasons.

Maple Leafs forward Mike Gartner suffered a partly collapsed lung in a collision with Marchment, then with the Oilers during a 1996 game in Edmonton. Gartner had to return to Toronto by train because changes in air pressure could hurt his lung.

According to a New York Times article after the game, Marchment said his hit on Gartner was "payback time" for a past fight.

Some tributes on social media after news of his death circulated described Marchment's softer side off the ice. Christina Marleau, the wife of longtime Sharks captain Patrick Marleau, posted that Marchment had introduced the couple "and would remind us each time we saw him."

"The world really lost a good man today," she said.

Marchment is survived by wife Kim, son Mason, a forward with the Florida Panthers, and daughter Logan.

• DonLever changed the title to In Memoriam, 2022: James Caan, Actor, Most Famous for Godfather, Dead at 82

James Cann, ‘The Godfather’ And ‘Thief’ Star, Dies At 82 (msn.com)

James Caan attends Humane Society of The United States' annual To The Rescue! Los Angeles benefit at Paramount Studios on April 22, 2017 in Hollywood, Calif.

The movie star, most famous for his roles in films like "The Godfather", "Thief" and "Misery", died on the evening of July 6 at age 82.

News of Caan's death was announced on his Twitter account, which said, "The family appreciates the outpouring of love and heartfelt condolences."

Born in 1940 in New York, to Jewish immigrants from Germany, Caan came to acting while attending Hofstra University, along with future director Francis Ford Coppola.

In the '60s, he began appearing off and on-Broadway, followed by numerous TV roles.

Caan's first film role came with an uncredited part in Billy Wilder's Irma la Douce, later landing his first starring role in Howard Hawks' 1965 auto-racing drama "Red Line 7000", going on to star with John Wayne and Robert Mitchum in the director's western "El Dorado".

He earned praise playing a football player with brain damage in Coppola's 1969 film "The Rain People".

The actor earned an Emmy nomination for his performance in the 1971 TV movie "Brian's Son".

Caan's break came when Coppola cast him as Sonny Corleone in "The Godfather", earning him an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor.

He went on to star in many movies in the '70s, including "The Gambler", "Freebie and the Bean", "Funny Lady" with Barbra Streisand, and "Comes a Horseman".

In 1981 Caan starred in Michael Mann's debut film "Thief", delivering one of his most acclaimed performances.

He appeared in many films over the coming decades, including "Misery", "Honeymoon in Vegas", "Bottle Rocket", "Eraser", "Dogville", and the Christmas fave "Elf".

Most recently, Caan had been set to star in Coppola's long-in-the-works epic "Megalopolis".

Caan was married five times over his life, and had five children, including actor Scott Caan.

On Twitter, remembrances of Caan poured in from fans and celebrities alike.

Edited by DonLever
  • Sad 2

• DonLever changed the title to In Memoriam, 2022: Legendary Actor James Caan Dead at 82; Godfather, Misery, Rollerball, Elf, and Many Other Roles

Died earlier this week.  Was a great miniseries. 

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/bradford-freeman-last-surviving-member-of-wwii-band-of-brothers-dies-at-97-180980373/#.Ysepx8lTL3g.facebook

Bradford Freeman, Last Surviving Member of WWII ‘Band of Brothers,’ Dies at 97

The Easy Company veteran parachuted into France on D-Day and fought in major European campaigns during the last year of the war

Meilan Solly

Associate Editor, History

July 6, 2022

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Died earlier this week.  Was a great miniseries. 

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/bradford-freeman-last-surviving-member-of-wwii-band-of-brothers-dies-at-97-180980373/#.Ysepx8lTL3g.facebook

Bradford Freeman, Last Surviving Member of WWII ‘Band of Brothers,’ Dies at 97

The Easy Company veteran parachuted into France on D-Day and fought in major European campaigns during the last year of the war

Meilan Solly

Associate Editor, History

July 6, 2022

RIP to a great one. I read Dick Winter's book and find great difficulty in expressing my admiration and respect for a generation of heroes. Difficulty in finding appropriate words. The 'Band of Brothers' weren't unique to the experiences of war. The series brought home to many the very visual experience that we had never saw. My mother's cousin was our family hero (lied about his age at 17 to join the Canadian Army) as he led a patrol behind German lines in Holland to capture prisoners and gather intelligence. At great personal risk he went out 2x in one night to accomplish his mission. He survived that night but was killed in northern Holland, only 10 days before the end of the war. 

• Cheers 1