The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

In Memoriam, 2022: Legendary TV Broadcaster Barbara Walters Dead at 93, Pope Benedict XVI (95)

DonLever

And there goes Iago.

Gibert Gottfried passed at age 67 after a long illness.

if you want a real mind job, look in to his normal speaking voice.  It's crazy how much of his entire persona was an act in front of the camera or on stage.

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/04/gilbert-gottfried-dead-1234716305/

Gilbert Gottfried, the beloved comedian known for his outsize onstage talents as a stand-up comic and as an iconic voice actor on television and film, has died. The actor was 67 and died after battling a long illness.

The news was first shared via Twitter by fellow comedian Jason Alexander, who wrote, “Gilbert Gottfried made me laugh at times when laughter did not come easily. What a gift. I did not know him well but I loved what he shared with me. My best wishes and sympathy to his family.”

• Sad 1

• DonLever changed the title to In Memoriam, 2022: Sally Kellerman (84), John Landy (91) William Hurt (71) Scott Hall (63), Stephen Wilhite (74), Taylor Hawkins (50), Estelle Harris (93), Gilbert Gottfried (67)
1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

And there goes Iago.

Gibert Gottfried passed at age 67 after a long illness.

if you want a real mind job, look in to his normal speaking voice.  It's crazy how much of his entire persona was an act in front of the camera or on stage.

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/04/gilbert-gottfried-dead-1234716305/

Gilbert Gottfried, the beloved comedian known for his outsize onstage talents as a stand-up comic and as an iconic voice actor on television and film, has died. The actor was 67 and died after battling a long illness.

The news was first shared via Twitter by fellow comedian Jason Alexander, who wrote, “Gilbert Gottfried made me laugh at times when laughter did not come easily. What a gift. I did not know him well but I loved what he shared with me. My best wishes and sympathy to his family.”

Norm, Bob and Gilbert gone within a calendar year. Time to watch Norm's podcasts with those two yet again. Oh, and the other Bob -- Einstein. They were all part of my favorite comedic niche. 

• DonLever changed the title to In Memoriam, 2022: Scott Hall (63), Stephen Wilhite (74), Taylor Hawkins (50), Estelle Harris (93), Gilbert Gottfried (67), Liz Sheridan (93)

RIP Jerry Doucette.

Canadian Guitarist and Songwriter Jerry Doucette Dies at 70

The Juno winner was known best for his 1977 song "Mama Let Him Play"
Canadian Guitarist and Songwriter Jerry Doucette Dies at 70
Photo: Dee Lippingwell
Published Apr 19, 2022

Jerry Doucette — the award-winning guitarist and singer-songwriter known best for CanRock staple "Mama Let Him Play" — has died. Doucette died Monday (April 18) in British Columbia following a battle with cancer. He was 70.

CTV News Vancouver reports that per a family friend, Doucette passed away surrounded by family at Thomas Hospice in Delta, BC. He is is survived by his wife Maggie of 43 years, his five children and 10 grandchildren.

Born in Montreal, Doucette and his family moved to Hamilton, ON, when he was four years old, and he began playing guitar at age six. In 1972, he would head west to Vancouver, playing with local bands including Seeds of Time and the Rocket Norton Band ahead of signing a solo recording deal with independent label Mushroom Records.

Under his surname, Doucette and his band made their debut with 1977's Mama Let Him Play. The album achieved Platinum certification in Canada the following year. Its title track, with its memorable six-string and vocal harmonies, is still in rotation on Canadian classic rock radio.

In 1979, Doucette delivered follow-up The Douce is Loose, which would go on to be certified Gold in Canada. That same year, Doucette captured the Juno Award for Most Promising Group of the Year in 1979, beating out the likes of Max Webster and Streetheart.

Mushroom Records would cease operations in 1980, leaving Doucette to release 1981's Coming Up Roses on Rio Records. Fourth album Price of an Education would follow in 1995.

Doucette announced his retirement from music in 2018, citing health issues and a desire to spend more time with family. He wrote in a statement that year, "After being on the road and performing for over 50 years ... I'm hanging up my guitar for good."

"Thank you to my fellow band mates, my friends and most importantly my fans for all your support over the years — it's been an honour. Keep listening to Canadian artists and keep supporting live music venues — they're the lifeblood of our industry....Mama, let them play."

image.png

Edited by Heretic
  • Upvote 1

• DonLever changed the title to In Memoriam, 2022: Liz Sheridan (93), Jerry Doucette (70), Susan Jacks (73) (Poppy Family)

Poppy Family singer-songwriter Susan Jacks dies at 73 in B.C. hospital awaiting 2nd kidney transplant | CBC News

Jacks was lead singer of the Poppy Family, responsible for hits like 'Which Way You Goin' Billy?'

Canadian singer-songwriter Susan Jacks, who lit up the airwaves with her band's 1969 smash hit Which Way You Goin' Billy? has died at age 73 while awaiting a second kidney transplant.

Jacks made an indelible mark on the Canadian music scene as lead singer of the Poppy Family, which also featured vocals by her then-husband Terry Jacks, most notably on another megahit, Where Evil Grows.

Jacks is being remembered for a smooth, emotive voice that helped her music career soar, but also for the humility that kept her grounded, even as she became a household name through constant airplay and the band's performances on national TV.

Her older brother, Rick Pesklevits, says Jacks was "always singing" as early as age four. He remembered her belting out the Harry Belafonte tune Day-O (The Banana Boat Song) all over the house and outside, too.

The family moved to Haney, B.C., now a community within Maple Ridge east of Vancouver, when Jacks was nine, and she just kept on singing.

"Singing in school brought her to the attention of various high school bands and so they often invited her as the 'chick singer.' Gradually, she became known through that exposure and kind of broke in through the side door," Pesklevits said.

Their brother Bill, whose name was referenced in his sister's breakout song, donated a kidney to her in 2010, but recent complications from infections had her on a wait-list for another kidney before she died in hospital in Surrey, B.C., on Monday.

"She was overwhelmed by infection, and her heart stopped," Pesklevits said, calling his sister a selfless person who "abhorred injustice and lack of sincerity."

"We talked regularly about what each other was going through," he said through tears about their phone calls. "Just the sound of her voice, that's what I miss."

Jacks became a strong advocate for organ donation after her first transplant and played several concerts benefiting the Kidney Foundation, her brother said.

"She had plans to go back into the studio to record another album, but the progression of her illness prevented that," he said of Jacks, who'd moved to Nashville and made a career of songwriting before returning to Canada after her second husband was diagnosed with cancer.

Even at the top of the pop charts, Jacks remained "quite surprised" by her success and put her family first, he said.

"That was the business, and families have other things to talk about, like each other."

Craig McCaw, the lead guitarist for the Poppy Family, said the band, which had a turbaned tabla player, was ahead of its time in some respects because it incorporated the talents of a musician who was trained in classical Indian music.

susan-jacks.jpg

Edited by DonLever
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

• DonLever changed the title to In Memoriam, 2022: Liz Sheridan (93), Jerry Doucette (70), Susan Jacks (73) Naomi Judd (76)
  • DonLever changed the title to In Memoriam, 2022: Liz Sheridan (93), Jerry Doucette (70), Susan Jacks (73), Naomi Judd (76), Rick Parnell (70)
  • 2 weeks later...
  • DonLever changed the title to In Memoriam, 2022: Liz Sheridan (93), Jerry Doucette (70), Susan Jacks (73), Naomi Judd (76), Rick Parnell (70) Fred Ward (79)

David Milgard-victim of Canadian Justice system passes at age 69

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/justice-advocate-david-milgaard-imprisoned-on-wrongful-conviction-dead-at-69/ar-AAXiH7L?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=16f4fdc5d4344c56a407cde8aa5f37b2

David Milgaard, the victim of one of Canada's most notorious miscarriages of justice, has died after a short illness. He was 69.

AAXiLF9.img?w=534&h=356&m=6&x=325&y=149&

James Lockyer, a Toronto-based lawyer who worked closely on the case and helped found the organization Innocence Canada, confirmed the death after speaking with Milgaard's sister on Sunday.

His loss is "devastating for the family," Lockyer told The Canadian Press.

Milgaard was only 16 when he was charged in the murder of Saskatoon nursing aide Gail Miller, who was raped, stabbed and left to die in the snow in the early morning of Jan. 31, 1969.

Milgaard would spend 23 years in prison on a wrongful conviction until his release in 1992.

In his later years, he helped to raise awareness about wrongful convictions and demanded action on the way Canadian courts review convictions.

"I think it's important for everybody, not just lawyers, but for the public itself to be aware that wrongful convictions are taking place and that these people are sitting right now, behind bars and they're trying to get out," Milgaard said in 2015.

"The policies that are keeping them there need to be changed. The wrongful conviction review process is failing all of us miserably."

Milgaard and two friends had been passing through Saskatoon on a 

road trip when Miller was killed. 

A year later, he was convicted of murder and sentenced to life in prison.

One of the youngest inmates, the 17-year-old was raped and tried to commit suicide. He was also shot by police during an attempted prison break.

"It was a nightmare," Milgaard said in 2014. "People do not have much love and care inside those walls."

Milgaard was released from prison in 1992 after his mother, who fought tirelessly to clear her son's name, pushed to get the case heard by the Supreme Court of Canada. The high court threw out Milgaard's conviction and he was finally exonerated in July 1997 after DNA tests proved that semen found at the crime scene didn't match his.

A man named Larry Fisher was convicted in December 1999 of first-degree murder in Miller's death and sentenced to life in prison.

The Saskatchewan government issued Milgaard a formal apology and awarded him a $10-million compensation package.

The province also spent $11.2 million on a public inquiry into Milgaard's wrongful conviction.

The final report was released in 2008 with 13 recommendations to reform prosecution and policing in Canada. Among them was a suggestion that the federal government establish an independent review commission to examine claims of wrongful conviction.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 15, 2022.

• Thanks 1

• DonLever changed the title to In Memoriam, 2022:Naomi Judd (76), Rick Parnell (70), Fred Ward (79), David Milgaard (69), Ray Liotta (67)

Ray Liotta, Goodfellas and Field of Dreams star, dead at 67 | CBC News

Ray Liotta, the actor best known for playing mobster Henry Hill in Goodfellas and baseball player Shoeless Joe Jackson in Field of Dreams, has died. He was 67.

A source at the Dominican Republic's National Forensic Science Institute who was not authorized to speak to the media confirmed the death of Liotta and said his body was taken to the Cristo Redentor morgue. The Hollywood Reporter and NBC News cited representatives for Liotta who said he died in his sleep Wednesday night. He was in the Dominican Republic to film a new movie.

The Newark, N.J., native was born in 1954 and adopted at age six months out of an orphanage by a township clerk and an auto parts owner.

Though he mostly grew up playing sports, including baseball, during his senior year of high school, the drama teacher at the school asked him if he wanted to be in a play, which he agreed to on a lark. And it stuck: He'd go on to study acting at the University of Miami. After graduation, he got his first big break on the soap opera Another World.

Liotta's first big film role was in Jonathan Demme's Something Wild as Melanie Griffith's character's hotheaded ex-convict husband Ray. The turn earned him a Golden Globe nomination. A few years later, he would get the memorable role of the ghost of Shoeless Joe Jackson in Field of Dreams.

His most iconic role, as real life mobster Henry Hill in Martin Scorsese's Goodfellas, came shortly after. He and Scorsese had to fight for it, though, with multiple auditions and pleas to the studio to cast the still relative unknown.

Edited by DonLever

Norwegian curler, Thomas Ulsrud has also passed away, after a long battle with cancer.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/winter/curling/curling-thomas-ulsrud-dead-at-50-1.6465510

Even if you're only a casual curling fan, you're likely familiar with the wild pants that the Ulsrud foursome favors....

The wacky pants-wearing Norwegian curling team is breaking up | Offside

That's Thomas throwing the rock....

5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Norwegian curler, Thomas Ulsrud has also passed away, after a long battle with cancer.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/winter/curling/curling-thomas-ulsrud-dead-at-50-1.6465510

Even if you're only a casual curling fan, you're likely familiar with the wild pants that the Ulsrud foursome favors....

The wacky pants-wearing Norwegian curling team is breaking up | Offside

That's Thomas throwing the rock....

Those are some sick trousers. I could totally picture Jimmy Page in those circa '77.

Hammer of the Gods: The Led Zeppelin Saga | Let Them Eat Vinyl

Edited by nuckin_futz

13 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Those are some sick trousers. I could totally picture Jimmy Page in those circa '77.

Hammer of the Gods: The Led Zeppelin Saga | Let Them Eat Vinyl

They've got a bunch of them:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ulsrud+pants&client=firefox-b-d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjUz93p7P33AhUTm44IHXORDQEQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1379&bih=902&dpr=1

It's actually one of those things in curling circles, where people would tune in just to see what the Norwegians were wearing this time....

• Cheers 1