The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] John Klingberg requests trade

Just now, HKSR said:

A 25 year old, 6'3" 190lbs versatile defenceman, that is a RHD top pair, capable of around 10 goals and 50-60pts per season?

Sure as heck a lot more than a late 1st and a prospect. 

Isn’t Klinkburger on an expiring contract?  He’s worth a second to a contender.  So a pick that ends up in the 50’s.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Like Schenn or Poolman?  They’re playing those roles rather well.  Hughes and OEL are so fantastic, aren’t they?  

Schenn and Pool to me are fine, if not overplayed. So tough to find, but a legit, physical,  youngish, top four D would be ideal to add. Like a Manson type. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Isn’t Klinkburger on an expiring contract?  He’s worth a second to a contender.  So a pick that ends up in the 50’s.  

Is that his demand?  To play for a contender?  I'm at work and can't watch that video right now...

Surprised he doesn't just ride it out til the end of the season, this could actually work out for Dallas though as it forces them to take assets.

Lot of cap posed to come off the books for Dallas in Klingberg, Pavelski, Radulov, Holtby, and Sekera. Bishop will be LTIR til it expires.

Do they try and go for it with Benn and Seguin or do they embrace what's probably a rebuild of sorts? Whatever return they get for Klingberg might answer that question a little. 

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He is, but his last three season totals as a top 4RD are 45, 32, and 36. 16 points in 25 games this season. His cap hit is 4.25M, any contender wanting him is giving up at least a 1st. 

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

He is, but his last three season totals as a top 4RD are 45, 32, and 36. 16 points in 25 games this season. His cap hit is 4.25M, any contender wanting him is giving up at least a 1st. 

Yeah he'll be worth an easy 1st round pick, + + ... 

36 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Yeah but Broberg is a likely bust and Barrie has negative value.

Is this true?    (Not about Barrie. He sucks)

Is Broburg actually looking like a bust?

He looked like a good prospect and has good AHL numbers.  
Is he busting or is Edmonton impatient?

This is a genuine question.   I liked him in his draft year, but started ignoring his progress as he is an oiler.  Lol

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Is that his demand?  To play for a contender?  I'm at work and can't watch that video right now...

Regardless of whether that’s Klinkbuger’s demand or not, he’s a rental.  It will be a top team that will acquire him. Maybe two picks:  a third and a fourth?  

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

A 25 year old, 6'3" 190lbs versatile defenceman, that is a RHD top pair, capable of around 10 goals and 50-60pts per season?

29 year old, turns 30 this year. The rest is true though. Although I'm not sure if anyone will pay a 1st for a player that is a pending UFA and requesting a trade (no leverage of saying they could just re-sign him) unless it's a sign and trade.

• Cheers 3

Just now, D.B Cooper said:

Is this true?    (Not about Barrie. He sucks)

Is Broburg actually looking like a bust?

He looked like a good prospect and has good AHL numbers.  
Is he busting or is Edmonton impatient?

This is a genuine question.   I liked him in his draft year, but started ignoring his progress as he is an oiler.  Lol

Broberg has a Virtanen brain.  Skates great, but dumb like rock.  Bustaroo bonsai.  

17 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Boeser 

Hamonic 

for 

2022 1st round pick unprotected 

John Klingberg 

Deal or No Deal?

Don't think Dallas would be able to take on that cap, they're already into LTIR 

The most they'll probably do is retain cap on any Klingberg deal to get more assets in return, given his deal is expiring they've got nothing to lose by doing so 

Edited by Coconuts

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

He was also the green jacket winner on the team for two of those seasons and is one of the bottom guys again this season. He does minimal PK work and gets tonnes of PP time. So I don't think he's heavily relied upon for defensive duties against top opposition either and his minutes have dropped off this season compared to last season.

Sounds like someone that Toronto would pay a 1st for though.

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

He was also the green jacket winner on the team for two of those seasons and is one of the bottom guys again this season. He does minimal PK work and gets tonnes of PP time. So I don't think he's heavily relied upon for defensive duties against top opposition either and his minutes have dropped off this season compared to last season.

Sounds like someone that Toronto would pay a 1st for though.

Valid points, but teams will always pay for players who can produce offense, particularly if the contract is manageable. If Dallas is willing to retain cap I'm sure they'd have plenty of suitors, Klingberg at just over 2M would be an easy rental regardless of any defensive warts. Anyone fancying themselves as a contender probably isn't looking at him as a 1-2 anyway, more of a 3-4. Or maybe even a 5 if they're really stacked on D. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Don't think Dallas would be able to take on that cap, they're already into LTIR 

The most they'll probably do is retain cap on any Klingberg deal to get more assets in return, given his deal is expiring they've got nothing to lose by doing so 

Don't forget that this is a team that's two years removed from being in the Stanley Cup final.  I actually think that it makes more sense for them to get a d-man in return and some scoring help and go for it this year.  

Most of their team is in the win-now mode. If they don't succeed this year then it will be time to do a mini rebuild and keep key young guys like Heiskanen, Gurianov and Hintz. 

16 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

29 year old, turns 30 this year. The rest is true though. Although I'm not sure if anyone will pay a 1st for a player that is a pending UFA and requesting a trade (no leverage of saying they could just re-sign him) unless it's a sign and trade.

You can always attach picks in a deal that are pending if the player resigns with the team or not. 

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Regardless of whether that’s Klinkbuger’s demand or not, he’s a rental.  It will be a top team that will acquire him. Maybe two picks:  a third and a fourth?  

I think there’s teams that covet him to the point where they’d pay a 1st+ roster player.   I don’t think he’s any more special than most 2/3 defenders. 

31 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Who are we talking about here??

Klingberg is 29 and a pending UFA looking for 8+ Mil. He’s a pure rental for any team trading for him.

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Broberg has a Virtanen brain.  Skates great, but dumb like rock.  Bustaroo bonsai.  

Broberg needs proper coaching and development, something we’ve failed on for awhile now.

Get him out of Edmonton and his chances of becoming a solid top 4 puck mover go way up.

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Valid points, but teams will always pay for players who can produce offense, particularly if the contract is manageable. If Dallas is willing to retain cap I'm sure they'd have plenty of suitors, Klingberg at just over 2M would be an easy rental regardless of any defensive warts. Anyone fancying themselves as a contender probably isn't looking at him as a 1-2 anyway, more of a 3-4. Or maybe even a 5 if they're really stacked on D. 

Don't disagree, just think it's probably a recipe for disaster, but if some team wants to load up, then sure. Can't imagine them getting more than a 1st though if they even get that.