The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] John Klingberg requests trade

25 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

He is, but his last three season totals as a top 4RD are 45, 32, and 36. 16 points in 25 games this season. His cap hit is 4.25M, any contender wanting him is giving up at least a 1st. 

I wish we could take a run at him, but we can't afford the assets. 

This is good news for us though, it diminishes Dallas and maybe makes him available as a UFA. 

3 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

You can always attach picks in a deal that are pending if the player resigns with the team or not. 

Conditional picks would likely be later rounds. If the rumour is true that he's looking for 8+ million, I imagine contenders would be looking at him as a straight rental. It's been known to happen that teams pay a 1st for rentals, just think it would be a mistake and therefore it's something Toronto would do.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Broberg needs proper coaching and development, something we’ve failed on for awhile now.

Get him out of Edmonton and his chances of becoming a solid top 4 puck mover go way up.

He was injured ,knee injury,shoulder injury at last year's WJC tournament.

He played through them which wasn't smart IMO.

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Barrie specializes in moving the puck to the other team.  He is simply not an NHL quality player with how much of a liability be is in his own zone, and adding him hurts a team's playoff chances.

Sounds perfect for Edmonton then, no way they'd part with him. 

2 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

He was injured ,knee injury,shoulder injury at last year's WJC tournament.

He played through them which wasn't smart IMO.

Regardless he’s still a top prospect. I don’t think teams are going to offer up blue chippers for a rental.

A first and a prospect is an overpayment for a rental IMO. Just like I thought a 2nd a propsect was too much for Toffoli at the time.

Edited by DeNiro

6 minutes ago, JM_ said:

This is good news for us though, it diminishes Dallas and maybe makes him available as a UFA. 

Agreed - better to wait and see if he ends up a UFA.

Doubt we could afford him though unless we had a major shakeup up front. 

• Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Don't forget that this is a team that's two years removed from being in the Stanley Cup final.  I actually think that it makes more sense for them to get a d-man in return and some scoring help and go for it this year.  

Most of their team is in the win-now mode. If they don't succeed this year then it will be time to do a mini rebuild and keep key young guys like Heiskanen, Gurianov and Hintz. 

They are, but let's be real.. most didn't see Dallas getting past Vegas. Dallas is in a weird spot in which their top guys are all on the older side and that despite games in hand they're unlikely to grab a divisional spot. At best they're probably a wild card squad this season, and they're jockeying with Winnipeg for one of those.  

It's not impossible, but they're unlikely to overtake Nashville, St. Louis, Colorado, and Minnesota. 

Combine that with all the cap they've got coming off at the end of this season, it could be a good time for a reset. If they could get a young Dman in return it certainly wouldn't hurt though. 

15 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Don't disagree, just think it's probably a recipe for disaster, but if some team wants to load up, then sure. Can't imagine them getting more than a 1st though if they even get that.

It's not a move I'd want to make, but for a team looking to squeeze more out of their offense and powerplay? Could be worth the risk. 

13 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Dunno, he's still be productive but I'm not sure I'd want to be throwing UFA money at him. Hughes will always be our primary puck mover/point getter, I'd rather spend money on someone a bit more defensively sound. He's an RD but I'm not sure he's the right sort of RD, I also question the price tag because he'll certainly be wanting on a raise on the 4.25M bargain deal he gave Dallas. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Regardless he’s still a top prospect. 

I am in total agreement with you.

He is one of my top prospects in the CDCGML. 

I was just providing some insight into why his development has been hampered.

I have high hopes for Philip.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

our new Swedish GM will get him on a bargain :ph34r:

Hughes will attract top free agent D too. Who doesn’t wanna play with a guy that moves a puck like him?

That being said I doubt we’re looking to add more players who are 29+. JR stated he wants to acquire younger players.

• Vintage 3

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Hughes will attract top free agent D too. Who doesn’t wanna play with a guy that moves a puck like him?

That being said I doubt we’re looking to add more players who are 29+. JR stated he wants to acquire younger players.

yeah 8+ is out of the question. But 6ish range.... 

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Not the D we're looking for...

CreamySelfreliantFox-size_restricted.gif

dunno, I've always really liked him and can see a fit with either OEL or Hughes.  

Just now, JM_ said:

yeah 8+ is out of the question. But 6ish range.... 

dunno, I've always really liked him and can see a fit with either OEL or Hughes.  

He's a good D but wrong age, wrong skill set, wrong cap hit upon extension.

Let a team already in their window make that investment.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Turning 30 and wants an 8 year massive contract.... What could possibly go wrong?

Stay the f away

Turning 30 isn't that big of a deal for d-men, especially ones like him who skate so well.

Lidstrom didn't start dominating until he was in his 30's. The notion that players in their 30's "have no option" but to regress is silly. 

An 8 year deal might scare teams away but many GM's would sign a 5-6 year term for a player like him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He's a good D but wrong age, wrong skill set, wrong cap hit upon extension.

Let a team already in their window make that investment.

thats likely what will happen. Im just happy Dallas is getting diminished. 

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

thats likely what will happen. Im just happy Dallas is getting diminished. 

They can probably reload pretty easy. They've already got solid youth, can sell Klingberg, Pavelski etc for more. Pull off a NYR style retool.

• Cheers 1