The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Evander Kane

2 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I think they were waiting on the process.  Let all the investigations be completed so there would be no cry of unfair treatment from the union 

The Rangers bought DeAngelo out.  Here SJS are voiding the contract. 

Just now, qwijibo said:

Yes. I know. Which is why I mentioned all the investigations. It gave them the ammo to terminate. 

Sounds like it's something he did recently - they are saying that he broke the AHL's Covid protocol.

• Vintage 1

I didn't think it would be mutual, the guy is broke and won't ever be able to earn back the money that contract was going to pay him.

I will be interested in seeing the results of the inevitable NHLPA grievance on this.  Arbitrators consider termination of a contract to be like giving out the death penalty.  Some minor violation of Covid protocol isn't going to be enough for them to cancel a multi million dollar contract.  It would have to be something pretty egregious to pass muster on that front.

It is especially the case when his employer made it clear beforehand that they didn't want him anymore, it looks fishy.

This was part of the reduced risk I mentioned in taking on Kane if San Jose was willing to retain salary and give a good sweetener to take him on.  There was an opportunity for him to clean himself up, but there was also the opportunity that he messed up so bad you could terminate him and end up with the sweetener and off the hook for his salary.  The real downside was if he played terribly and behaved just badly enough he was a problem for the team but you couldn't fire him

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

I didn't think it would be mutual, the guy is broke and won't ever be able to earn back the money that contract was going to pay him.

I will be interested in seeing the results of the inevitable NHLPA grievance on this.  Arbitrators consider termination of a contract to be like giving out the death penalty.  Some minor violation of Covid protocol isn't going to be enough for them to cancel a multi million dollar contract.  It would have to be something pretty egregious to pass muster on that front.

It is especially the case when his employer made it clear beforehand that they didn't want him anymore, it looks fishy.

This was part of the reduced risk I mentioned in taking on Kane if San Jose was willing to retain salary and give a good sweetener to take him on.  There was an opportunity for him to clean himself up, but there was also the opportunity that he messed up so bad you could terminate him and end up with the sweetener and off the hook for his salary.  The real downside was if he played terribly and behaved just badly enough he was a problem for the team but you couldn't fire him

It sounds like he broke AHL Covid protocols. I am sure the Sharks organization was going to watch him closely to see if he made any mistakes so they COULD get out of his contract...Looks like he made a mistake and now he lost 22.885m because of it. The guy has rocks in his head if you ask me

1 minute ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

Canucks LW

Hoglander

Pearson

Motte

Highmore

Bring the East Van homeboy home!

I will become a Capitals fan if we bring in this waste of oxygen to disgrace the franchise.  Kane is simply not welcome here.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Provost said:

The most he could probably hope for is a payout of sorts like Richards got from LA, but even that's unlikely given Kane's documented repeated &^@# ups regarding Covid protocol.

Edited by Coconuts

Part of this is a little unfair for the rest of the teams. 

Imagine if we were able to catch Loui Erik-sson not social distancing and just get out from his contract.  

Jimbo should've gotten him drunk, gave him the "I eat ****" headband and followed him around with a camera.