The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who will be the first player to be traded under the new management?

Rate this topic

Rabbit

Motte will for sure be the first player traded..I also think by mid March we will know how are playoff chances are? 

Then if out you could see one of the top 5 players trade? Best return is Miller but it might end up being Boeser 24 yrs old should be a regular 25-30 goal scorer..

I think Brock will be the 1st member of the core to be moved. It doesn't take a keen hockey mind to see that Boudreau is pumping his tires. It also doesn't take a keen eye to see that he isn't a $7.5m player. 

I think we will be disappointed with the return as other GM's can see this too.

I really hope someone wants Hamonic for a late pick at the deadline. Not counting on it, but hoping.

If we have a good chance of making the playoffs later on, things get interesting as most trades will obviously weaken the team if we get prospects and picks back.

If we're not making the playoffs I see at least 3 of Boeser, Pearson, Motte, Dickinson, Myers and Halak being traded. All good players and worth their current contracts, but it's impossible to gain cap without giving up something and in my eyes none of these players are essential to a contending team down the line, especially when you consider the respective cap hit.

13 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

I mean the Halak rumours make sense with his bonus about to eat into next years cap. If I was a betting man it would be Halak.

Has a NMC. I am pretty sure we're not moving him. Besides, he's been really good imo. With Lu's recap coming off the books I think we'll be okay.

50 minutes ago, J-P said:

I really hope someone wants Hamonic for a late pick at the deadline. Not counting on it, but hoping.

If we have a good chance of making the playoffs later on, things get interesting as most trades will obviously weaken the team if we get prospects and picks back.

If we're not making the playoffs I see at least 3 of Boeser, Pearson, Motte, Dickinson, Myers and Halak being traded. All good players and worth their current contracts, but it's impossible to gain cap without giving up something and in my eyes none of these players are essential to a contending team down the line, especially when you consider the respective cap hit.

Teams would be interested in Motte...doesn't Pearson have to waive?   Same with Halak.   Myers is highly unlikely, we wouldn't be able to replace him with free agency, and pretty tough for a team to fit him in anyways.   Dickinson, too many years left on his deal - but who knows maybe a team wants what he offers.   BB of course a team would be interested in adding him, especially one with a star player out.   

Miller offers the most for the least ... and with retention virtually 20 teams would be in play, a dozen or so would be tripping over themselves to add him.   You could be right - we have stuff to sell, and the timing makes some sense, but we'd have to be out by a fair margin to trigger that amount of selling, and be ready for two more years of rebuilding.  

14 hours ago, Rabbit said:

I saw lots of proposals to trade Pettersson, Myers, JT, even Hovrat.

However, I put all the above four players are important pieces at this moment.

If I select, Halak or Highmore might be the first player to be traded.

Thoughts?

I think Halak is a strong possibility.

I think they like the game that Highmore plays and with Motte being UFA at the end of this season, they probably view Highmore and Lockwood as 2 cornerstones of our 4th line, moving forward, just based on cap alone.

I think Motte could be a really attractive player for a real cup contender, at the deadline. He makes a team really hard to play against as well as is easy to fit into a tight cap environment as well.

Edited by VegasCanuck

With Rutherford, or through his prodigy, it could very well be some player we didn't expect, like Horvat. Of our top tier tradable assets, leaving off Pettersson, Hughes, and Demko as untouchables, if you include Boeser, Miller, and Horvat, I'd prefer Horvat traded over Miller and Boeser.  Boeser I think will be a consistent scorer for a long time. He has a few more years on Bo as well.  And fits well into our young core. Miller just brings that intangible that every contender needs. I don't know where this team would be without him frankly. He's the leader already in the heart and passion of the team. He would be a "only know what you got til its gone" player.  I suppose if he wanted to max out and cash in on what would be his final big contract, he may price himself off the team, but if its in the neighbourhood of what Bo will demand, I'd lean towards Miller.

Next tier down, I'm not that picky. Packaging any combo of Pearson, Dickenson, Poolman, Hamonic.  Motte only if the deal is right. He's another intangible type player, who can be a difference maker. Especially for the cap hit.

I've heard Rathbone's name.  Just no.  No more decent prospects traded at this stage.  So dumb to do that on a team still building. We still haven't seen the best he has to offer yet IMHO

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Has a NMC. I am pretty sure we're not moving him. Besides, he's been really good imo. With Lu's recap coming off the books I think we'll be okay.

Halak is playing great this year. He could stay with the team and play maybe another 7 games the rest of the year and go into free agency 37 years old and sign another cheap one year deal. Or maybe he would like to waive his no movement clause for a chance to be a number 1 on a playoff team like the Oilers. If he maintains his play as a number 1 maybe he’ll get more money and term on his next deal. Kind of feels like the trade scenario is more favourable for Halak as well so just because he has a NMC I wouldn’t read too much into it because I can easily see him waiving that to be a number 1.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

Halak is playing great this year. He could stay with the team and play maybe another 7 games the rest of the year and go into free agency 37 years old and sign another cheap one year deal. Or maybe he would like to waive his no movement clause for a chance to be a number 1 on a playoff team like the Oilers. If he maintains his play as a number 1 maybe he’ll get more money and term on his next deal. Kind of feels like the trade scenario is more favourable for Halak as well so just because he has a NMC I wouldn’t read too much into it because I can easily see him waiving that to be a number 1.

EDM

Halak

VAN

1st ‘22

Make it happen.

• Like 1

Hamonic Halak Dickinson Highmore Hunt Lammikko Rathbone Chiasson maybe one or 2 of our bottom 4 dmen, all good role players. 

We have spare parts in the minors that could be good fill ins. 

A combination of all or some of the above

Whichever gets us a RHD and or 3rd line cdntre. And draft picks. 

• Upvote 2

Miller at TDL is worth 2 first and a prospect..he would absolutely put a contender over the top or ensure Tampa another Stanley Cup....someone will capitulate to our request to win now. Anything short of that, keep and find a way to re-sign Miller... he's been that good and we'd be absolutely no where without him, especially with Peteys disappearing act....

Depends how the season goes.

If we fall out of the playoff picture than Miller, Pearson and any other older vets we can move. 

If we don't fall out of the playoff picture than I don't see anyone traded since we can't really add anyone. Win with what we got. We would see trades in the off-season.

Rutherford said he wants to add picks, prospects and young players to help address the holes in the roster and to build a long-term contender. We likely won't see any significant piece added this year.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

Jr wants to get younger keeping miller 28 and trading boeser 24 wouldn’t  really line up with that. 

miller has a very high value right now. Sell high max return. 

But with halaks contract bonuses coming in I think he’ll be moved first. 

Edited by combover