The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who will be the first player to be traded under the new management?

Rate this topic

Rabbit

22 hours ago, khay said:

If we are in the playoff race, I will go with Rathbone.

I love the player but he is the only player that I think is definitely a surplus at this point in time while having the most future value from the perspective of a team that would be trading for him.

Rathbone could get us an immediate help elsewhere in the lineup if packaged with a draft pick to a bottom feeding team.

And if we are out of the playoff race, my bet is Tyler Motte. Again, love the player but he will be a UFA and will be looking at around 2.5 mil on his next contract. Don't think we can afford him.

Agreed, a hockey trade with Rathbone makes a lot of sense for a RHD or centre depth.

1 hour ago, combover said:

Jr wants to get younger keeping miller 28 and trading boeser 24 wouldn’t  really line up with that. 

miller has a very high value right now. Sell high max return. 

But with halaks contract bonuses coming in I think he’ll be moved first. 

Yeah I forgot about Halak. Seems to be some smoke there too.

Core players are not going to be traded, the supporting cast however is a different story and if we have a few smaller players on the team we have no choice to look for bigger skilled players to compensate and if that doesn't occur, we all know, all too well, what happens come playoff time. Early exit.. nothing new...  

7 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

and you replace him with who? 

We probably ride Demko, as we should, and we don't know what we'll get back for Halak. Reports seem to think we'll get a decent return for Halak. Like I said there's already smoke.

Potentially looking at 1.5M in dead cap next year for keeping Halak even though he'll be gone. You add that with the 2.4M we'll be paying in Virtanen/Holtby buyouts next year we'll have almost 4M in dead cap. We're already tight against the cap as is and will have to save as much as we can for Boeser/Motte.

I think it depends on what direction he wants to take the team in. If he wants to do a root and branch tear it down rebuild then it’s probably Miller. If he wants to tweak the D it’s probably Hamonic or Poolman. If he wants to rebuild the forwards it’s probably Boeser. If he wants to tweak the forwards then it’s probably Pearson or Dickinson. If he wants to improve the 4th line it could be any of a number of different guys. It could go a lot of different ways.

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

We probably ride Demko, as we should, and we don't know what we'll get back for Halak. Reports seem to think we'll get a decent return for Halak. Like I said there's already smoke.

Potentially looking at 1.5M in dead cap next year for keeping Halak even though he'll be gone. You add that with the 2.4M we'll be paying in Virtanen/Holtby buyouts next year we'll have almost 4M in dead cap. We're already tight against the cap as is and will have to save as much as we can for Boeser/Motte.

Well riding Demko is fine in theory but what if he misses games to injury, sickness whatever, then what?  Personally I don't think MD is ready for the NHL yet and as good as Silovs showed, I'm not sure how well he'd do either. Martin has been playing well and got a shot out recently and I admit I don't know much about him but these 3 guys need more experience and putting them in the firing line of the NHL in their development curve is a wise thing to do...

Idk what to say but even with bonus's to be paid out I think holding onto Halak wouldn't be a bad idea in case of injury or otherwise.

3 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

No smoke according to Dhaliwal who doesn't understand why it's even a talking point.  Says Halak has a full NMC and there's no indication at all that he is willing to waive - he asked for a no move for a reason.  Also cites the compressed schedule ahead to explain why it makes no sense. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, mll said:

No smoke according to Dhaliwal who doesn't understand why it's even a talking point.  Says Halak has a full NMC and there's no indication at all that he is willing to waive - he asked for a no move for a reason.  Also cites the compressed schedule ahead to explain why it makes no sense. 

Dreger seems to think so but I am unsure his sources, Sekeres? That isn't reputable.

Given the NMC we're likely stuck with that carryover next year then as you say. Unfortunate but it is what it is.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

5 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Dreger seems to think so but I am unsure his sources, Sekeres? That isn't reputable.

Given the NMC we're likely stuck with that carryover next year then as you say. Unfortunate but it is what it is.

If I am Halak I would OK any trade that puts me with a CUP contender. He knows already that failing an injury to Demko that his ice is very limited in Vancouver. I suspect

rutherford is calling around to see who might be available just like 31 other GMs. I doubt very much he is focussed on moving a particular player. Any moves will be deal specific.

On 1/8/2022 at 10:55 PM, NHL97OneTimer said:

Boeser will be the first big name.  Very valuable player to other teams and should be able to fetch a good young defenseman +/- picks.

He's my choice too.

There is little doubt that BB is a talented winger. When on point, he is a strong point producer.

My problem with BB is that, other then good point production, BB, for the most part, is invisible. He is not an intense player. He is not the best defensive player. He, also relies a lot on his line mates getting him the puck to score. He is more of a follower.

Imo, Boeser is expendable for the right return. A young right side blueliner would be really high on the list, if not a must in any deal involving him.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, kilgore said:

it could very well be some player we didn't expect, like Horvat.

I think you're bang on with this. 

Horvat is the captain, but captains have been traded before, and Bo has a lot of value. Rutherford and his crew have no emotional attachment to any of the players, but there are some they just should not trade in the near future, like, IMO:

Demko

Hughes

OEL

Miller

Podkolzin

Garland

good prospects and picks in Rounds 1-4

It's funny, I've heard Boudreau go on about Miller's leadership and how he carries the team, him being better than he thought he would be, etc.   I haven't heard a peep about Horvat and how good of a captain he is.  

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

He's my choice too.

There is little doubt that BB is a talented winger. When on point, he is a strong point producer.

My problem with BB is that, other then good point production, BB, for the most part, is invisible. He is not an intense player. He is not the best defensive player. He, also relies a lot on his line mates getting him the puck to score. He is more of a follower.

Imo, Boeser is expendable for the right return. A young right side blueliner would be really high on the list, if not a must in any deal involving him.

This sums up my thoughts also.  If he were $5M/yr, it would be a different story.  But Miller is a much more rounded player.  Can't believe some people want to trade him even if he is 35.

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think you're bang on with this. 

Horvat is the captain, but captains have been traded before, and Bo has a lot of value. Rutherford and his crew have no emotional attachment to any of the players, but there are some they just should not trade in the near future, like, IMO:

Demko

Hughes

OEL

Miller

Podkolzin

Garland

good prospects and picks in Rounds 1-4

It's funny, I've heard Boudreau go on about Miller's leadership and how he carries the team, him being better than he thought he would be, etc.   I haven't heard a peep about Horvat and how good of a captain he is.  

Who's going to win the face-offs if Horvat is traded?  Also, Horvat's one of those players that doesn't bring the spotlight or glamour but he quietly racks up the points along the way.  IMO, Bo would have been an excellent Assistant Captain, but not a strong Captain overall.  This is fine though if there's a great supporting cast.

Surprised you have OEL on the list as untouchable.  I like him on this team and don't want him traded, but he's not on my untouchable list.....but then, would he fetch a great return?  Probably worth keeping him anyway for that reason.

38 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

This sums up my thoughts also.  If he were $5M/yr, it would be a different story.  But Miller is a much more rounded player.  Can't believe some people want to trade him even if he is 35.

Miller will be 30yrs when he becomes a UFA.  He is a similar player to guys like Pacioretty and Pavelski.  These are a special breed of players that rarely get injured and continue a consistent level of play far into their 30's.  They are passionate, hardworking players, who are always in shape; providing great stats, an incredibly well-rounded game and leadership (on and off the ice).

Patches signed his current contract at 30yr: 7mx4yrs. 

Pavelski signed his current contract  at 34: 7mx3yrs.  Prior to this contract, he signed a contract at 29yrs. 6mx5yr

Both players received MNTCs.

Miller very well could be signed again.  It will be up to him whether he wants to be here.

I think Boeser goes to the Rangers for Schneider + Chytil