The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Arizona looking to still move Chychrun, Kessel and Crouse?

1 minute ago, Canuck Luck said:

hahahaha....they will give up a great young d man on a great contract for crap.

Give your head a shake...pathetic suggestion.

Well they did just give up a top six winger, and a top pairing D man (both in their primes) for three cap dumps and a pick that turned into a bustaroo bonsai.  

We don’t want Chychscrub and his 7 points and minus 29 anyway.  No place in our lineup for him.  

1 minute ago, Canuck Luck said:

I also am sorry lol.

Didn't know it was a raymond ballard 3rd!!

My apologies.  :mellow:

It varied if it was a borderline elite player like Chychrun it was a 1st if it was a marginal to solid player it was a 3rd lol 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

21 hours ago, BabychStache said:

I think you’re onto something here, but I think that’s a little too lopsided to work for the Canucks. 

Pete + 3rd

for 

Crouse + Chychrun

lets us keep the real offensive engine; JT Miller.

I'd do this trade. 

18 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Petey for Chychrun? 

And this one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

I'd do this trade. 

And this one.

I suspect that Arizona wouldn't bite on either of those offers. I would be strongly tempted to acquire Chychrun, even at the cost of Pettersson. Getting Crouse for a 3rd would be very tempting. This being said, I do have reservations, and some questions would need to be asked before I made such a deal. (I may have missed some things, but I'm distracted by my need for pizza).

* Chychrun's health status (obvious). He looks like he has missed a number of games.

^ While Chychrun's point totals over the last couple of seasons are impressive, will that kind of success transfer here? I'm thinking different TOI/PP and PK time, partners and change in system.

* Ice time. All that talent on the left side makes it a bit crowed. Granted, everyone playing around 20 minutes could add to player health/durability over a season/playoffs.

* Can Chychrun play the right side, or for that matter, can Ekman-Larsson or Hughes? And can any of them play well on their opposite side, or can they move there for a shift or two, maybe even the occasional game?

* Who replaces Pettersson, if not right away (likely won't be the case) then in 2 - 3 years? There aren't any top-6 C type of guys in the system. This is impacted by the (likely) 1st being moved in either of these proposals, so getting a future top-6 center via the draft doesn't look like it would happen soon.

* Chychrun's cap hit isn't really an issue ($4.6 million), but with him coming in, that would mean that the Canucks are paying out around $20 million just on the left side of the defense. Something's gotta' give there,

^ Trade Ekman-Larsson? Sure. Have we heard that he will gladly waive his NMC in order to facilitate the Canucks acquisition of Chychrun? Nope.

^ Trading Hughes doesn't make a lot of sense, unless there's a whack of value coming back, like at least one 1st, a replacement C prospect/young player who is as good (or better) than what Pettersson could become, as well as additional assets (eg. a right side d-man prospect/player). 

* Trade Myers, obvious target for some, mostly for cap reasons, which aren't as relevant with Pettersson being moved out  Meyers is the best right side d-man on the roster (and will be for a few seasons to come, barring trades), so moving him doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I include him here just because some folks like to talk about trading Myers, perhaps just out of habit.

regards,  G.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Canuck Luck said:

I would do this also.

I think we'd have to add, it's hard to gauge where Pettersson's value is at right now

11 minutes ago, RolexSub said:

Dude Chychrun currently has the worst plus/minus on the team at -29. I wouldn't do that trade one for one. 

However, I would do Crouse for Dickinson, Highmore and maybe a 4th round pick. 

Context matters though, he's a #1D on what could be a historically awful team, it's been reported that many teams are interested and one can assume all those GM's aren't idiots

He's out there eating tough minutes on a team that gets scored on a lot, and playing lots of them, you've gotta dig into his underlying numbers 

Plus/minus is a a team stat too, I wouldn't put much into it 

Edited by Coconuts

You guys are giving up on Petey too early to be honest. I know everyone is frustrated with him but he will get his game back on. There are other worst players on the team to trade for right now that won't impact the team. We don't need another Cam Neely Trade here lol!!! 

Edited by RolexSub

4 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

I suspect that Arizona wouldn't bite on either of those offers. I would be strongly tempted to acquire Chychrun, even at the cost of Pettersson. Getting Crouse for a 3rd would be very tempting. This being said, I do have reservations, and some questions would need to be asked before I made such a deal. (I may have missed some things, but I'm distracted by my need for pizza).

* Chychrun's health status (obvious). He looks like he has missed a number of games.

^ While Chychrun's point totals over the last couple of seasons are impressive, will that kind of success transfer here? I'm thinking different TOI/PP and PK time, partners and change in system.

* Ice time. All that talent on the left side makes it a bit crowed. Granted, everyone playing around 20 minutes could add to player health/durability over a season/playoffs.

* Can Chychrun play the right side, or for that matter, can Ekman-Larsson or Hughes? And can any of them play well on their opposite side, or can they move there for a shift or two, maybe even the occasional game?

* Who replaces Pettersson, if not right away (likely won't be the case) then in 2 - 3 years? There aren't any top-6 C type of guys in the system. This is impacted by the (likely) 1st being moved in either of these proposals, so getting a future top-6 center via the draft doesn't look like it would happen soon.

* Chychrun's cap hit isn't really an issue ($4.6 million), but with him coming in, that would mean that the Canucks are paying out around $20 million just on the left side of the defense. Something's gotta' give there,

^ Trade Ekman-Larsson? Sure. Have we heard that he will gladly waive his NMC in order to facilitate the Canucks acquisition of Chychrun? Nope.

^ Trading Hughes doesn't make a lot of sense, unless there's a whack of value coming back, like at least one 1st, a replacement C prospect/young player who is as good (or better) than what Pettersson could become, as well as additional assets (eg. a right side d-man prospect/player). 

* Trade Myers, obvious target for some, mostly for cap reasons, which aren't as relevant with Pettersson being moved out  Meyers is the best right side d-man on the roster (and will be for a few seasons to come, barring trades), so moving him doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I include him here just because some folks like to talk about trading Myers, perhaps just out of habit.

regards,  G.

I agree with everything you've said, except that I don't believe Petey is a top 6 C. I don't see him as a centerman at all anymore. He's not strong enough and is terrible at faceoffs, which is why we saw him play wing tonight. Miller and Bo are out top 6 Cs.

Petey could eventually be replaced by Klimovich or someone else via trade. For me, at this point when we'll have to make important decisions such as Miller, Bo, Boeser, or Petey, I choose the three former and trade the latter; with JR loving to trade struggling player for struggling player, Petey for Chychrun might make sense. But, I agree that I don't think Arizona says yes.

1 hour ago, RolexSub said:

You guys are giving up on Petey too early to be honest. I know everyone is frustrated with him but he will get his game back on. There are other worst players on the team to trade for right now that won't impact the team. We don't need another Cam Neely Trade here lol!!! 

Our cap issues and expiring contracts may very well force the decision.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

regards,  G.

I think ideally, you’ll have to move OEL if we acquire Chychrun. He doesn’t fit with this team’s window to compete and his play doesn’t really account for his caphit. He’s been fine defensively, but offensively he has been nonexistent. We could’ve just re-signed Edler, and he’ll probably be doing the same thing OEL been doing for us, but without the huge caphit.

Having said that, Chychrun has played on the right side before in juniors and most recently last year, where he had his best offensive year. So, maybe he’s more comfortable playing on the right side?

Now, the question is who does he play with? I don’t think he will mesh well with Hughes, as both players like to carry the puck and go on the attack. Phoenix/Arizona tried playing OEL with Chychrun before, but it was a failed experiment. Although this was when OEL was more of a puck carrier and Chychrun was just breaking into the league. I could see them working well in the present day.

18 minutes ago, shiznak said:

I think ideally, you’ll have to move OEL if we acquire Chychrun. He doesn’t fit with this team’s window to compete and his play doesn’t really account for his caphit. He’s been fine defensively, but offensively he has been nonexistent. We could’ve just re-signed Edler, and he’ll probably be doing the same thing OEL been doing for us, but without the huge caphit.

Having said that, Chychrun has played on the right side before in juniors and most recently last year, where he had his best offensive year. So, maybe he’s more comfortable playing on the right side?

Now, the question is who does he play with? I don’t think he will mesh well with Hughes, as both players like to carry the puck and go on the attack. Phoenix/Arizona tried playing OEL with Chychrun before, but it was a failed experiment. Although this was when OEL was more of a puck carrier and Chychrun was just breaking into the league. I could see them working well in the present day.

well to be fair OEL isn't exactly put into any offensive situation.. he's mostly on the tail end of a powerplay and he's mostly getting shutdown assignments.. OEL is pretty much unmovable unless we retain.. who's going to pay 7mil+ for a defenseman that still have forever on his contract and doesn't put up any offense? we really can't afford to add a chychrun without either moving OEL or moving both poolman and hamonic.. otherwise that put us right at the top for most expensive defense unit and league worse production/cap hit by defense by a country mile.

3 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

well to be fair OEL isn't exactly put into any offensive situation.. he's mostly on the tail end of a powerplay and he's mostly getting shutdown assignments.. OEL is pretty much unmovable unless we retain.. who's going to pay 7mil+ for a defenseman that still have forever on his contract and doesn't put up any offense? we really can't afford to add a chychrun without either moving OEL or moving both poolman and hamonic.. otherwise that put us right at the top for most expensive defense unit and league worse production/cap hit by defense by a country mile.

His deployment zone starts is pretty spread out evenly.

OZS - 47%

DZS - 53%

I understand he is playing a different role than he’s accustom to, but you would like to see more out of him in the offensive zone. Especially for a guy who is being paid top dollars. 

28 minutes ago, shiznak said:

His deployment zone starts is pretty spread out evenly.

OZS - 47%

DZS - 53%

I understand he is playing a different role than he’s accustom to, but you would like to see more out of him in the offensive zone. Especially for a guy who is being paid top dollars. 

i think it's just a by product of the way we play. we don't generate any traffic and the point shot is always unimpeded directly at the goalie. if u look at our defense we literally have 0 scoring from them.. and i can barely think of any goals that was from a point shot tipped or bounced off a bunch of players.. i mean there have to be a reason we have one of the lowest offensive output defense in the league near arizona.. and it's not from a lack of talent. the green/baumgartner system did way too much damage to the defense than seen on the surface.

4 hours ago, RolexSub said:

Dude Chychrun currently has the worst plus/minus on the team at -29. I wouldn't do that trade one for one. 

However, I would do Crouse for Dickinson, Highmore and maybe a 4th round pick. 

haha..yeah...i would do highmore and halak for McDavid too.  

Give me a break....:wacko:

• Like 1