The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hockey Books.

Rate this topic

allegend

I just finished reading Brian McFarlane's "A Helluva Life in Hockey".

I really enjoyed it. There were a lot of great stories about people

and events of the past 80+ years. Some stories were quite funny,

while others were sad, like how the Canucks treated Robitaille.

There is even a story describing Bruce Boudreau's rookie initiation. 

Has anybody read any hockey books lately that they would recommend?

Not Messier's book. :sadno:

I'll reiterate what others have said in that "The Game" by Ken Dryden was a good book. Learned a lot about early 70s hockey culture.

If you're looking for lots of history knowledge, The Hockey News has a good selection of books. The three I have are the following:

- Hockey's Most Amazing Records, edited by Edward Fraser, 2011

- Top 10 - Counting Down the Game's Wonderful, Wild, Weird, and Wacky!, edited by Edward Fraser 2012

- The Ultimate Book of Hockey Lists, Edited by Sam McCaig, 2008

There's also a good book on Canuck history that was written to celebrate their 40th year, "Canucks at Forty" written by Greg Douglas and Grant Kerr (with a foreward by Jim Robson), which has some great stories and highlights some great and lesser known Canucks for the first 40 years of their tenure.

A lot of these books are where I gained much of my knowledge about hockey history.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Net Worth by Alison Griffiths and David Cruise is a must

The Game by Ken Dryden

Burke's Law by Brian Burke

Got gifted Quinn: The Life of a Hockey Legend by Dan Robson, looking forward to that one.

I would also recommend watching the movie about Net Worth made in 1995. I don't believe it's perfectly factual, as it is a dramatical movie, not a documentary, but is heavily based on Lindsay's pursuit to players' rights.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

I would also recommend watching the movie about Net Worth made in 1995. I don't believe it's perfectly factual, as it is a dramatical movie, not a documentary, but is heavily based on Lindsay's pursuit to players' rights.

Agreed, also the 1972 Summit Series adaptation is worth a watch.

• Vintage 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

Agreed, also the 1972 Summit Series adaptation is worth a watch.

Absolutely. Up there with the Miracle on Ice. All good films that helped pique my interest in hockey history.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Burke's Law - Brian Burke

Of Ice and Men - Bruce Dowbiggin

Money Players - Bruce Dowbiggin

Roger's World - (haven't finished...I find this one a bit slower than the others)

Also started (but, again, couldn't really get into it...will revisit it later):  James Duthie's The Day I (Almost) Killed Two Gretzkys

I'd highly recommend seeing Ice Guardians if you can.  A good argument for why enforcers are necessary in hockey, from those who played that role in the NHL.

• Cheers 1

Two favorites I have read are;

Burke's Law by Brian Burke

Quinn: The Life of a Hockey Legend 

I guess I have read quite a few others, these have all been enjoyable;

The Hammer - Dave Schultz = This one I really liked as it shed a lot of light on the career of hockey enforcers

Tiger - A Hockey Story - Tiger Williams = Loved Tiger's insights on the Canucks when he was traded to them

Ballard - A Potrait of Canada Most Controversial Sports Figure - Harald Ballard

A Season to Remember - Vancouver Canucks = Good nostalgia but hard to read about the 2011 year

Canucks at Forty

Six Shooters - The Sutter Brothers = Legendary family shares their insights on their time in the NHL and how they got there.

Everyday Hockey Heroes - Bob MacKenzie = Very good story telling here.

Mr. Hockey - Gordie Howe = Excellent read by one of the greats

The Crazy Game - How I Survived the Crease and Beyond - Clint Malarchuk = I really enjoyed this but difficult as he delves into mental illness

Calling the Shots - Kelly Hrudey = Hrudey can be anti Canuck on TV but seems like a nice human being in this book.

Hello Canada - The Life and Times of Foster Hewitt = Interesting how much of a techy Foster was aside from being a great play caller...

A Season of Loss - Danny Heatley and Dan Snyder = tough read but powerful to see the grace from the Snyder family..

Others I have read but didn't enjoy;

99 - Wayne Gretzky = Didn't really enjoy this, Wayne's memory seems to be going if he think McSorley was a clean hockey player.

Phil Esposito - Thunder and Lightning = Phil was not a good husband, I felt almost dirty after reading this and promptly threw the book away after.

The Game - Ken Dryden = Not sure why, just didn't enjoy it.

Bleeding Blue - Wendall Clark 

One left to read that I was gifted and will likely read since there is no hockey most days.

Messier - No One Wins Alone

Edited by GB5
  • Thanks 3

I’m currently reading The Crazy Game ..How I survived in the crease and beyond - Clint Malarchuk. Hard to put this one down . Great insights into the emotional and mental aspects of being a goalie at the NHL level. 
Just finished Burke’s Law. Great book. 
The Mike Danton book was a pretty good read as well. That agent of his was as crazy as they come.

• Cheers 1

• 4 weeks later...