The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Indefinite suspension for social media media post, junior player.

Rate this topic

Gurn

On 1/23/2022 at 12:01 PM, -DLC- said:

And yet another incident.

This one targeting Jordan Subban.

Truly sad....but at least the right outcome.

can you explain this one to me? I saw the video but I don't understand what the gesture was?

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

can you explain this one to me? I saw the video but I don't understand what the gesture was?

body builder/tough guy pose.

The poser was mocking Subban's sudden toughness after the refs jumped in.

Now people are saying "He did an ape pose to indicate he thinks black folks are monkeys".

seem like a huge leap to me; given it is not the first time the player has done that pose; unfortunately this time it was  to a dark skinned guy- so it must be racial- according to some.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, gurn said:

body builder/tough guy pose.

The poser was mocking Subban's sudden toughness after the refs jumped in.

Now people are saying "He did an ape pose to indicate he thinks black folks are monkeys".

seem like a huge leap to me; given it is not the first time the player has done that pose; unfortunately this time it was  to a dark skinned guy- so it must be racial- according to some.

huh. Is this possibly a really horrible misunderstanding?

21 minutes ago, JM_ said:

huh. Is this possibly a really horrible misunderstanding?

The vid of this player, having to apologize, because of people thinking it was something it wasn't, is rather tough to watch.

It is on this site-somewhere.

Think it was a twitter post?

26 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It was the Gorilla pose. 

I don't know that was a thing. 

Watched the kids apology. The kid claims he's done it before to other players..... is this one of those double meaning things like when those idiots use the "OK" sign? or do you think the kid meant it like Subban believes?

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

Watched the kids apology. The kid claims he's done it before to other players..... is this one of those double meaning things like when those idiots use the "OK" sign? or do you think the kid meant it like Subban believes?

Sounds like something the other players would be able to corroborate if true.

Just now, King Heffy said:

Sounds like something the other players would be able to corroborate if true.

I'd like to hear from them for sure. And if this guy has used this in the past then maybe its just a weird thing he does? not trying to defend him, just trying to understand the full context.

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I'm going with the kid did something that was just fine, until he did it to the wrong guy.

Strangely, if he hadn't done that to a black player, but has done it to others;  would him not doing it to a black player, make him a racist for treating people different based on their skin colour?

Hope they treat  both the involved players properly.

8 minutes ago, JM_ said:

No, this kid made the gorilla pose before the fighting.  It looked more like taunting, then showing off he was stronger.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, gurn said:

I'm going with the kid did something that was just fine, until he did it to the wrong guy.

Strangely, if he hadn't done that to a black player, but has done it to others;  would him not doing it to a black player, make him a racist for treating people different based on their skin colour?

Hope they treat  both the involved players properly.

I would think if this is on video somewhere before, that gives him some credibility in his side? dunno, I don't want to let a racist off the hook, but I don't want to see a kids future burned over a misunderstanding.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

No, this kid made the gorilla pose before the fighting.  It looked more like taunting, then showing off he was stronger.  

I wish the video was better on twitter. I can't tell what the heck it is.

• Cheers 1

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/ex-nhler-andrew-shaw-backs-cousin-jacob-panetta-amid-racial-gesture-fallout/ar-AAT6xHb?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

On Monday, former Chicago Blackhawks and Montreal Canadiens forward Andrew Shaw posted a message on Twitter defending the actions of his cousin Jacob Panetta, who was accused of making a racial gesture towards Jordan Subban in an East Coast Hockey League game between the Jacksonville Icemen and the South Carolina Stingrays.

“[Panetta] is being judged in the media for an incident that was misinterpreted! Yes it looks bad but there is evidence that he’s done the ‘tough guy’ pose in a few other games to players of non-color. I believe him when he says there was no intent to be racist with his gesture,” the 30-year-old said.

Amid the online fallout from his gesture, Panetta was cut by the Icemen, and has been suspended indefinitely by the ECHL pending a league investigation.

In his first public comments on the matter, the 25-year-old released a pair of videos on Sunday, clarifying his intentions in the altercation with Subban and apologising for his gesture.

My actions were not racially motivated at all, and I sincerely apologise for the pain and suffering and anger that my actions have caused him, his family and everyone who was hurt by this,” Panetta said.

As of this writing, Jordan Subban had yet to publicly respond to Panetta's explanation

FJ4ggTJXsAAPlQ1?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/ex-nhler-andrew-shaw-backs-cousin-jacob-panetta-amid-racial-gesture-fallout/ar-AAT6xHb?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

On Monday, former Chicago Blackhawks and Montreal Canadiens forward Andrew Shaw posted a message on Twitter defending the actions of his cousin Jacob Panetta, who was accused of making a racial gesture towards Jordan Subban in an East Coast Hockey League game between the Jacksonville Icemen and the South Carolina Stingrays.

“[Panetta] is being judged in the media for an incident that was misinterpreted! Yes it looks bad but there is evidence that he’s done the ‘tough guy’ pose in a few other games to players of non-color. I believe him when he says there was no intent to be racist with his gesture,” the 30-year-old said.

Amid the online fallout from his gesture, Panetta was cut by the Icemen, and has been suspended indefinitely by the ECHL pending a league investigation.

In his first public comments on the matter, the 25-year-old released a pair of videos on Sunday, clarifying his intentions in the altercation with Subban and apologising for his gesture.

My actions were not racially motivated at all, and I sincerely apologise for the pain and suffering and anger that my actions have caused him, his family and everyone who was hurt by this,” Panetta said.

As of this writing, Jordan Subban had yet to publicly respond to Panetta's explanation

FJ4ggTJXsAAPlQ1?format=jpg&name=900x900

interesting. I wonder what comes next for all this?

2 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Why would he do a "flex" pose with a guy who's 5'9" 175 lbs?  It's not like he's a big goon.

The flex pose was to show just how tough Jordan got, once the refs moved in.

Like "Mom is here, so now you act like Steven Seagal?"

• Cheers 1

You know, this latest incident became a real teachable moment for myself, basically not to judge too quickly. 

I was watching the Canucks game and i had JUST finished telling my wife about it, and that some idiot had done this not even a day after there was another racial incident in that league. I had already pre-judged and condemned the kid. Then it was not even 10 minutes later that they broadcast the guy’s explanation. And @gurn is right. It’s a rough watch. He seemed extremely pained by it and very much sincere. I’ve played my fair share of hockey and been involved in a lot of the rough stuff. And the taunting/ making fun of someone being tough only when the refs come in. His gesture and explanation  really rang true with me. Whether or not it comes out as the truth or he really is a d-bag remains to be seen, but it was a very relatable thing and a not too subtle reminder that it is important to listen to both sides before condemning someone carte blanche. I was very much guilty of that. I suggest people take a minute to view the video of his explanation. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Why would he do a "flex" pose with a guy who's 5'9" 175 lbs?  It's not like he's a big goon.

it seems like its a thing he did. Its weird but if there's video of him doing it multiple times before then doesn't it shed some doubt on this being a strictly racial thing?

I want racist creeps out of hokey but I also don't want to see a kids life burned to the ground if it was a mistake. 

Edited by JM_
  • Upvote 1