The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do We Lack Toughness? Who would you give up for?

Rate this topic

RolexSub

2 hours ago, Canuck Luck said:

Pretty sure the tryamkin boat has sailed..he aint' ever coming to NA.

I agree, I would trade his rights for a whatever pick he could muster up and draft a tough player.

On 1/12/2022 at 7:31 PM, canuck73_3 said:

Yep, watching Boston-Montreal tonight Pezzeta was a pain in the Bruins ass all night, even Suzuki, Wideman and Dauphin playing with an edge. Marchand, Carlo and Bergeron equally chippy all game.

Canucks need to add a couple Pezzeta, Crouse, Carlo type players. Guys who can chip in and play a well rounded game while being a bit of a rat. 

We have some rats that are playing like mice because we don't have any muscle to back them up.  

I would absolutely love to acquire a Yakov Trenin for our 3rd line.  

Lawson Crouse would fit the bill as well. 

On 1/12/2022 at 7:31 PM, canuck73_3 said:

Yep, watching Boston-Montreal tonight Pezzeta was a pain in the Bruins ass all night, even Suzuki, Wideman and Dauphin playing with an edge. Marchand, Carlo and Bergeron equally chippy all game.

Canucks need to add a couple Pezzeta, Crouse, Carlo type players. Guys who can chip in and play a well rounded game while being a bit of a rat. 

What rhymes with Pain?

• Haha 2

On 1/11/2022 at 4:51 PM, King Heffy said:

Chiasson for Gadjovich please.  I'll never forgive Green for the permanent damage he caused this training camp with his nepotism and lack of professionalism.

Yes indeed.   Green and Uncle Jim set this team back in so many ways that it will take a couple of years just to untangle the mess they've left behind.   I still can't believe people actually supported those two incompetants despite the glarring evidence they were destroying this franchise.    Good Riddence they're gone.  Too bad it took so long but now that we've finally got experienced management and a real NHL coach I don't thing things are gonna stay this way for long.   I predict some very significant player moves as the mangement takes necessary action to 1. Improve our team speed so we don't look like turtles out there 2. Fix the defensive mess. 3. Get a better b/u goalie that can win more than one game out of every nine.   4. Get some grit players that won't put up with traffic in front of our net.  

20 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Couldn’t be a more suitable word to go with Kane ;)

That is what I have been saying along we should pick up this dude and see how things work out with him. It would be great to see another home town player play for his city. Now we have to face him all the time which we will definitely have to beef up in our toughness no doubt.

Also, by count we have 6 players who are under 5ft 11inches which doesn't help as well. I think we are the smallest team in stature compared to everyone else. I mean you can be small and play tough but none of them can. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, RolexSub said:

That is what I have been saying along we should pick up this dude and see how things work out with him. It would be great to see another home town player play for his city. Now we have to face him all the time which we will definitely have to beef up in our toughness no doubt.

Also, by count we have 6 players who are under 5ft 11inches which doesn't help as well. I think we are the smallest team in stature compared to everyone else. I mean you can be small and play tough but none of them can. 

If they all played without the fear and tenacity of Garland we would be that much better

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, ba;;isticsports said:

If they all played without the fear and tenacity of Garland we would be that much better

Yes only Garland plays more off the edge compared to the other 5 and if they all play like him....we would be a much tougher team. Hogie played that way during his first 20 games in his rookie year then don't know what happened he stopped hitting and pissing the other team like Winnipeg off. 

Burroughs looked good standing up for Demko. 4 min an took another Dman with him. Played only 8 minutes getting his nose in there all game. We needed push back and he brought some. 

Looked a whole lot better on the board battles too than Hunt

• Like 2

On 1/12/2022 at 6:37 AM, Drop Em said:

Since when is an instigator 2, 10 and a game? When was that rule changed? An instigator is a 2 minute penalty, 5 minutes for fighting plus a 10 minute misconduct and NOT a game misconduct...and there's a difference. So whenever you get an instigator in the first period, you'd still be back at some point in the second period.

Please show me where Gudbranson received an instigator with the Canucks, because I don't see it.

5 minutes isn't that long of a time (usually 2 shifts) to go without a d-man, but IF it turns out to be 17 minutes, then that's a different story. I agree that it's not ideal to have your main tough guy be a d-man, but the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned.

The Canucks were better off with 5 Defensemen when they dressed Guddy.  We don't need a plug on Defense just to toughen up our lineup.  

On 1/15/2022 at 5:44 AM, RU SERIOUS said:

Yes indeed.   Green and Uncle Jim set this team back in so many ways that it will take a couple of years just to untangle the mess they've left behind.   I still can't believe people actually supported those two incompetants despite the glarring evidence they were destroying this franchise.    Good Riddence they're gone.  Too bad it took so long but now that we've finally got experienced management and a real NHL coach I don't thing things are gonna stay this way for long.   I predict some very significant player moves as the mangement takes necessary action to 1. Improve our team speed so we don't look like turtles out there 2. Fix the defensive mess. 3. Get a better b/u goalie that can win more than one game out of every nine.   4. Get some grit players that won't put up with traffic in front of our net.  

Man you've got to stop.   It's done.  Why not just continue with your "new target" EP - cue the lamb bambi trying to skate meme.   You won!   Take it with grace.  

On 1/17/2022 at 1:46 AM, Hairy Kneel said:

Burroughs looked good standing up for Demko. 4 min an took another Dman with him. Played only 8 minutes getting his nose in there all game. We needed push back and he brought some. 

Looked a whole lot better on the board battles too than Hunt

Ahem :bigblush:

• Like 1

Anyone else been pleasantly surprised by the teams sudden found toughness and willingness to stand up for one another...

Think they have dropped the mitts more times now, then at anytime since Dorsett left the building.

Burroughs, Myers, Pearson, Horvat, Miller and Schenn.... even OEL... They may not be legit fighters, but they sure as hell don't back down...

Garlands fearless play may have something to do with this, and it great for morale.... This team is bonding...

• Like 1

Burroughs is the modern day Doug Halward. Known to have followed Harry Neale into the stands with a skirmish with Quebec Nordique fans. 

They were both about 6' 200 lbs. 

Always ready to go. 

Not a huge bruiser but keeps guys honest. That was a great little scrap

he had last night. Add Schenns hits, Myers tilt,OELs rambunctiousness 

and guys were finishing their checks like regular hockey. A beauty to see. 

Atta boy Burroughs aka Dougie. 

Screenshot_20220119_073834.jpg

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Burroughs is the modern day Doug Halward. Known to have followed Harry Neale into the stands with a skirmish with Quebec Nordique fans. 

They were both about 6' 200 lbs. 

Always ready to go. 

Not a huge bruiser but keeps guys honest. That was a great little scrap

he had last night. Add Schenns hits, Myers tilt,OELs rambunctiousness 

and guys were finishing their checks like regular hockey. A beauty to see. 

Atta boy Burroughs aka Dougie. 

Screenshot_20220119_073834.jpg

Is Burroughs related to Doug Halward because they do look very alike in size and facial haha!! Must be a coincidence but loving how Burrough is playing so far with hits and willing to drop the gloves too. Keep it up Burroughs!!! 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, RolexSub said:

Is Burroughs related to Doug Halward because they do look very alike in size and facial haha!! Must be a coincidence but loving how Burrough is playing so far with hits and willing to drop the gloves too. Keep it up Burroughs!!! 

Yeah especially the chin area. 

And temper.