The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do We Lack Toughness? Who would you give up for?

Rate this topic

RolexSub

23 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Sure.  Rapists and wife beaters.   Come on man.   There are lines a team doesn't need to cross in some desperation to win a trophy.  It's just some silver cup.   The names on it mean something but we don't need to ever go down that road.  

Super bowl champs Tampa Bay signed a choir boy named Antonio Brown.  

Just now, Ferlands_Head said:

Ok then what about Todd Bertuzzi's assualt on Moore, I'd still want him on the team and people in Vancouver love this guy. 

Moore deserved what happened to him after his cheapshot on Naslund.  Bertuzzi is nowhere near the level of scum like Kane, Voynov, DeAngelo.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Moore deserved what happened to him after his cheapshot on Naslund.  Bertuzzi is nowhere near the level of scum like Kane, Voynov, DeAngelo.

Why does it matter what level of scum they are if they can play hockey? I don't know about you but I'm tired of waiting for a cup. Yeah Kane, Voynov and DeAngelo are all POS but if it helps the team win I'd be furious if the owner/GM didn't consider it just because they're scumbags. DeAngelo is doing just fine in Carolina  and is leading their D in scoring. I'm sure nobody in Carolina cares about his past. 

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Ferlands_Head said:

Why does it matter what level of scum they are if they can play hockey? I don't know about you but I'm tired of waiting for a cup. Yeah Kane, Voynov and DeAngelo are all POS but if it helps the team win I'd be furious if the owner/GM didn't consider it just because they're scumbags. DeAngelo is doing just fine in Carolina  and is leading their D in scoring. I'm sure nobody in Carolina cares about his past. 

Personally I won't cheer for someone who I have zero respect for.

• Vintage 1

47 minutes ago, Ferlands_Head said:

I've been waiting soon to be 5 decades, and would be happy to wait until i'm dead before i have a team that wins knowing it has a rapist or wife beater on it.   Seriously it's just a trophy.   Some things are more important.   The leagues loaded with toughness over the years, most are kind gentle people off the ice.   We'd have to be pretty freaking foolish and desperate to be going there.   EDM isn't going to win a cup lol.  E Kane better not become a Canuck, i'd lose respect for the franchise. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I've been waiting soon to be 5 decades, and would be happy to wait until i'm dead before i have a team that wins knowing it has a rapist or wife beater on it.   Seriously it's just a trophy.   Some things are more important.   The leagues loaded with toughness over the years, most are kind gentle people off the ice.   We'd have to be pretty freaking foolish and desperate to be going there.   EDM isn't going to win a cup lol.  E Kane better not become a Canuck, i'd lose respect for the franchise. 

If the Stanley Cup is just a trophy to you then I can see where you're coming from. 

The Canucks winning the cup is not just a trophy to me. 

I don't think the Oilers or Hurricanes are foolish or desperate, they're willing to do what's necessary to win which is what I'd expect out of a GM.

Also the Oilers will never win a cup when they depend so heavily on the PP. 

11 hours ago, Ferlands_Head said:

If the Stanley Cup is just a trophy to you then I can see where you're coming from. 

The Canucks winning the cup is not just a trophy to me. 

I don't think the Oilers or Hurricanes are foolish or desperate, they're willing to do what's necessary to win which is what I'd expect out of a GM.

Also the Oilers will never win a cup when they depend so heavily on the PP. 

Of course i want to win a Stanley cup.  We all do.   It's the entire purpose of the game - to me it's better then an Olympic  gold.  Although those are pretty special too (the Olympics where the best of the best we're allowed to play).   I get the desperation, but i'm with Alf on this one, guys like Voynov, Kane and JV can just stay away from our team.    Don't need a trophy that's sullied.   I want one as bad as any fan.   And i also want a team with toughness just like you do.   But not at any cost either.    There are loads of guys who had tons of fights and were rough and tough who played in this league.   Twist loves cooking.   Grimson is a godly man - a real christian.   Simon spent his summers with his grandfather hunting and trapping.   Ciccone was about the nicest guy you'd want to ever meet and share a pint with.    For every crazy enforcer out there - there are ten who are just about the kindest nicest people around.    It's in their genes to help, that was there job.   Those guys i have nothing but respect for - that said there were some total nutters too, those guys don't need to be in the game anymore.   And haven't been for awhile.   E Kane - well he's got a lot to do to fix his reputation.    Entitled.   Sure he's a good player.    Don't want him near our guys though.    Miller is a better example.      Unfortunately there aren't many guys willing to do that job anymore.    The league does a piss poor job of it - every game we complain about it.     We both want the same thing.  And i absolutely agree we need to attract or acquire some toughness.    It's an important job even in todays much tamer game.    Sakic did.    TB did with Marroon.    I do think at some point things might go full circle and the enforcer role could be re-born.    But for now it is what it is.