The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's wrong with EP.???

Rate this topic

erkayloomeh

20 hours ago, BureBurrito said:

EP is wrong with EP. He has no attack creativity heading into the opponents zone, easily pushes off from the puck or gives it up. He was used to easy points in the SHL and his size and mental game is suffering big time. Reminds me a lot of Nedved...and I don't know how many coaches and strategies and sports shrinks he'll need to get his game to what it should be for his talent.

Could a blockbuster Nedved like deal be good for both the team and player? Love to see something like Petey to:

NYR for Braden Schneider, K'Andre Miller and Ryan Reaves or

WSH for McMichael, Jensen & Protas or

Pitts for Marino, Kapanen & Blueger

Those are some awful packages. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fan since 82 said:

Because he's earning the money of a top guy so expectations are that he should play like one. 

https://www.hockeyzoneplus.com/salaries/61742-henrik-sedin

That's the kicker.  The Sedins were only bumped from $1,250,000  ($1,730,119 today's value) to $3,575,000  ($4,793,504) after year 5 (one lockout year in there).   And only bumped to $6,100,000 ($7,685,420) in their 10 year as a Canuck.

Its like handing the Sedins their final contract amount after only three seasons, instead of after 10.  Now the Sedins started out slow. And slowly improved. And Petey knocked our socks off from game 1.  So there was waaaaaaaay more expectation to already be elite level this early.  But still, that's a lot of money, and a lot of pressure going with it.

He's young enough still that I'm not too worried about him. No matter how thin a frame he has, he will still bulk up as he ages.  I know all about that. He can get stronger. I think its a mental thing that is also hampering the on ice playmaking like a viscous cycle.  He was/is so worried about public perception. 

When he first came here, he was very very defensive to reporters about his defensive game on the ice. I remember being a little surprised that he thought local reporters were critical about his defensive abilities, as I hadn't heard any worries on that front. He presumed as an highly offensive minded player, the natural tendency for reporters would be to assume he'd give up some of his defensive work.  In hindsight it reminded me of the Jordan doc were he invented criticism by reporters, other players, just to motivate himself.  And what resulted was Petey seemed to work extra extra hard on his defensive game. He was one of our best defensive players on the ice......including our defensemen.

So it must be extra extra difficult for him to be in this slump right after signing that big contract.  He's overthinking, and frustrated.  He will have to have a re-set this off season, have a carefully crafted work out regiment that will suit his body type. Learn different techniques to avoid contact. Learn that he can't play like Miller. And build muscle mass, even if it sets him back next season to start as well, as building muscle mass kind of hampered Brock too when he did that after his second season I believe.  If Petey feels more sturdy on his feet, the rest will follow.

On 1/12/2022 at 2:02 PM, nergish said:

- zero footspeed when entering the offensive zone

- playing the perimeter, and not driving the net

- not getting to the net even without the puck, rarely in a scoring position

- decent defensive awareness and positioning, but not physically strong enough to defend effectively

- not shooting enough

Despite being older and more experienced, he literally looks on par with Podkolzin right now in that you can see glimpses of high of upside and ability - but he's playing like a boy amongst men.

Petey needs strength, but it's his footspeed that has been most disappointing to me this season.

I think something is affecting Pettersson’s skating. I’m not sure if it’s an injury or body changes resulting from his off-season training regimen.

I first noticed this when I attended a home game in November. When the puck is turned over in the offensive zone Petey  really struggles to get his feet moving to get back in the play. It’s like he’s skating in quicksand.

For a guy that’s always been such a smooth skater this is really troubling. It could be the reason that all other aspects of his game have suffered this season.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Me_ said:

EP gave up when the Canucks didn’t re-sign Markstrom, Tanev and Toffoli.

I see that too.  Petey was a superstar in those Bubble playoffs.  Then nothing since.  Losing those three guys took the life out of Petey.  Hockey went from being a game to a business.  Incredible talent.  Hopefully he gets his love for the game back soon. 

42 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I see that too.  Petey was a superstar in those Bubble playoffs.  Then nothing since.  Losing those three guys took the life out of Petey.  Hockey went from being a game to a business.  Incredible talent.  Hopefully he gets his love for the game back soon. 

Surprised you don’t call him a bustaroo!

18 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Given how easy his stick was knocked out of his hands on that one play where it ended up in the netting behind the goalie, and his heeling/toeing of shots, I suspect even though he says his wrist is fully healed, it's probably the key reason why his timing is still off and his scoring is down.  Maybe he's not transferring the right amount of power through his stick at the right time, or perhaps he's not gripping it the same way that he used to when he was a prolific scorer earning the Calder trophy.  Or even could be that he's hesitating that microsecond in fear of his wrist getting reinjured.

The rest of his questionable play is likely a result of trying to compensate/adjust for the "healed" wrist injury.

That's my hypothesis.

It was tellling when his stick got launched into the netting.  Have not seen that before in recent memory.

I thought wow.  The kid is not gripping his stick.  That was obvious. The check was not out of the ordinary just a hard upward stick check.  The surprising part was Petey's stick went 30 feet in the air wtf?

Ok that tells us something is wrong with his arms/wrists and the way he holds his stick. And if that is so, then it probably means his shot is affected.  And then his confidence.

I think he needs another offseason to get stronger.  To really train, not just play around with his brother.

Then come back stronger and heavier and hopefully mentally tougher.

Otherwise it looks like this is heading in a bad direction.

• Like 1

I have been pretty hard on Petey.  
He just seems to suck this year. 
Thie one thing I haven’t given him credit for, which I should and can related to, is injury hesitancy. 
I grew up in the Rockies skiing ever day.  
Not to toot my own horn, but I was a pretty damn talented guy, with a career in pro skiing in my future.  
One day when I was 19. I dislocated my patella and tore my MCL and ACL. 
Full reconstruction of my knee.  
A full year later, word on the street (according to my surgeon and physiotherapist) I was good to go and back to normal.  
But according to my brain…….. not even close.  
Mechanically i was sound, but I never got the confidence back in my knee to not explode again.  
Next thing you know, I’m in trades instead of xgames.   Hahahah.   
Ain’t that some sh!t.  Lol. 
I’ll never feel good enough to really ski again. 

I hope Petey and his multiple injured wrist doesn’t have the same issue.  

With a major injury, your metal state can cause more damage to your recovery than physical.  
Obviously we don’t know the extent of his injury, but that’s probably because it was fairly bad. 

• Upvote 1

He's looking more and more like a weak 4th line player.   Skates up to the blue line slowly, dumps the puck in or gets checked in the boards, making bad passes, puck constantly rolling off his stick (almost as if its coated with teflon), no longer back checks and when he does actually manage to get a shot away - it's off the mark.     I just can't figure this out???

He's either playing injured, playing to get traded or Green ruined him (like so many others).  No matter, still hoping for a turn around but he's getting worse by the day  - not better and I'm seriously wondering if thats all we'll get from him.  Absolutely no sign of improvement in the last several weeks.  Could be another Loui E. 2.0 ???  Or, Jason King "flash in the pan" one season wonder.  Time will tell. but I don't even think about him any more or notice him on the ice most of the time.  Sad!

7 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

It was tellling when his stick got launched into the netting.  Have not seen that before in recent memory.

I thought wow.  The kid is not gripping his stick.  That was obvious. The check was not out of the ordinary just a hard upward stick check.  The surprising part was Petey's stick went 30 feet in the air wtf?

Ok that tells us something is wrong with his arms/wrists and the way he holds his stick. And if that is so, then it probably means his shot is affected.  And then his confidence.

I think he needs another offseason to get stronger.  To really train, not just play around with his brother.

Then come back stronger and heavier and hopefully mentally tougher.

Otherwise it looks like this is heading in a bad direction.

Yes, agree.  I was shocked how easy that stick came out of his hand too.   You might be right!  Maybe his wrist is f'd up and he's trying to play thru it but I kinda doubt that the medical staff would jeopordize his future if it was really that serious, especially after what they've invested in him.    

Both his skating and his stick handling looks very off. Not sure if the wrist is ok, but one thing I think gets overlooked is that maybe he just couldn't train as planned during the summer due to the wrist injury? Also missing camp looks really bad on everyone involved, don't know how many examples there's been of younger players missing camp and then having a really bad season. Can't think of one opposite example at the top of my head.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2022 at 5:27 PM, BureBurrito said:

EP is wrong with EP. He has no attack creativity heading into the opponents zone, easily pushes off from the puck or gives it up. He was used to easy points in the SHL and his size and mental game is suffering big time. Reminds me a lot of Nedved...and I don't know how many coaches and strategies and sports shrinks he'll need to get his game to what it should be for his talent.

Could a blockbuster Nedved like deal be good for both the team and player? Love to see something like Petey to:

NYR for Braden Schneider, K'Andre Miller and Ryan Reaves or

WSH for McMichael, Jensen & Protas or

Pitts for Marino, Kapanen & Blueger

Hey!

What happened to the paper bag thing?

Oh well, straight to 'Ignore' I guess.