The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Tampa Bay Lightning | Jan. 13, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Petey I’ve defended you but I’m sorry bud you gotta sit.

He looks like he doesn’t even belong in the league let alone in the top 6….

If it wasn’t for previous success and his draft position he’d be in Abbotsford right now he’s been that bad.

Would he survive in Abbotsford? I don't think he would.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This says it all.

if canucks top players cant be their top players then they shouldn't be paying so much for them. if BB can't fix the issue then hopefully JR makes some good moves to fix it.

• Like 1

Break up PP1

Get Motte to teach Hogs that shot

Boes needs to do a shot like Stamkos 

Highmore has to teach Petie that shot

Burroughs in for Hunt damit

Hunt is minus 8 in 10 games 

Hunt was minus 8 in 12 games last year for Minny

Hunt is not in any way a defense first defenseman. Puilot 2.0

I know he's your old acquaintance Coach B but he is the wrong fit here with Huggy and OEL ahead of him. 

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Darius said:

I remember a few years back when Bo had seasons with atrocious plus minus and droughts that seemed to last for months.  On one occasion a video was released showing Hank skating around the ice with Bo, shoulder to shoulder, during practice - the assumption was Hank was giving him a pep talk because Bo seemed to be down on himself coz of how badly his season was going.

i bet you Bo was roughly the same age as EP is now. 

its kinda funny how some posters are so quick to crucify young players while comparing them to older players on the team who have gone through worst droughts.

Anyone remember what Miller looked like at EP’s age?  He was a tire fire.  Think of all the brain farts without the offence. 

how about the sedins? They used to trip over the blue line and get worked physically game after game at that age. 

Let’s give the kid a chance.  I don’t care about his paycheque right now.  He absolutely earned that contract, I think he’s in a rut… we have seen everyone from naslund to sedins to horvat have droughts in their early years. 

If Pete played the way we want him to play, sadly, I think he'd get hurt immediately. He plays the way he does because he knows it. 

Still lacking an identity. That’s where JR comes in.

Just watch the top teams and you can see they all play the right way. Hard, fast, skilled hockey where every player supports each other and they do everything as a unit.

The Canucks still look like a disjointed teams at times. Definitely need to play stiffer as our old friend Torts would say.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Amen.  JT Miller never hit a point a game until he came to Vancouver.  The Sedins didn't do it until they were 26.  Naslund was 27.  Petey did it when he was a rookie and only 20 years old.  The only player in Canucks history to win the Calder other than Pavel frickin Bure.

And some people think he belongs in Abbotsford.  God help us all...

Because past accomplishments help us win hockey games…

Give your head a shake. If you watched him play without the goggles on you would see a player that has not been good enough to play in the top 6 let alone be paid 7+ million.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Gatzkek said:

If Pete played the way we want him to play, sadly, I think he'd get hurt immediately. He plays the way he does because he knows it. 

My measuring stick, which is the most realistic context I can think of, are the bubble playoffs.  They faced teams that we’re trying to kill him and he kept producing.  18 points in 17 games.  The wild, St. Louis and Vegas were big strong teams that put out their best d men and checkers against him.  It’s not like he was strong then either.  He took a beating and he kept producing. 

i think the problem is in his head this year. His confidence is down and this affects his strongest attribute- the way he processes the game. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

Just now, Darius said:

My measuring stick, which is the most realistic context I can think of, are the bubble playoffs.  They faced teams that we’re trying to kill him and he kept producing.  18 points in 17 games.  The wild, St. Louis and Vegas were big strong teams that put out their best d men and checkers against him.  It’s not like he was strong then either.  He took a beating and he kept producing. 

i think the problem is in his head this year. His confidence is down and this affects his strongest attribute- the way he processes the game. 

A fresh off-season may do him good. I think this year, no matter what he's trying, is really not going to help him. He needs to get away from the games, and just clear his head, and start from scratch with his workouts. 

It's just not going to happen in season. Might be the worst season of his career, but i think this season ironically, is going to do him some good. 

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Darius said:

That's a hopeful thought. Maybe. 

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Give your head a shake. If you watched him play without the goggles on you would see a player that has not been good enough to play in the top 6 let alone be paid 7+ million.

The salary is irrelevant.  You get paid based on past performance.  That's how it works in pro sports and that is why so many NHL players are overpaid.  Petey earned his contract as it was based on his first 3 years in the NHL, not on this current season.  

As for his play, just like some of the pundits have said, he is driving play right now and is creating chances for others.  Our 4th line and Brad Hunt are our top 5 scorers right now in the last 5 games other than Miller.  That tells you the problem is not just Petey.  Horvat and Garland have also been invisible.

Petey is having a bad year.  It happens.  He's not the first guy to get into a slump and won't be the last.  But there are other issues that are problematic for this team right now.  Overall we played well these last 2 games against the best in the league.  We just need to score more goals.  That does start with Petey but continues right on down the lineup as well.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Thanks 3
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

So what should they do? Trade him? 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Darius said:

So what should they do? Trade him? 

Continuing to play him is not working.

He looks like a player that has forgotten what to do in the offensive zone.

Sit him for a couple or drop him to the fourth line. He’s not earning his minutes. Gotta keep players accountable.