The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Tampa Bay Lightning | Jan. 13, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

We out played them 5 on 5.

PP let us down. In an essential one goal loss, we needed the special teams to be that touch better.

So like my response on the Panthers game seems like the narrative in some the losses Green had this season.

Maybe in reality after the coaching change bump the performance the team had when Green was coaching is just what this team really is. 

1 minute ago, iinatcc said:

So like my response on the Panthers game seems like the narrative in some the losses Green had this season.

Maybe in reality after the coaching change bump the performance the team had when Green was coaching is just what this team really is. 

I think overall we have been quite a bit better.

Lines, deployment, strategies and chemistry. 

Just saw two top teams and really competed well. If Demko had been the Demko we know and snagged just a couple more saves, different results easily. 

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

51 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

For the amount of holes and lack of talent we have compared to these florida teams, I'm pretty impressed with how we have played them. At best we are only a 7/8 seed, Problem is all but 3 west teams are at the same level or quite a bit better.

Our time will come when our stars play like stars and are all around 30 as that seems to be the lucky number for a dominant team these days lol

Would be nice to see, if the Canucks can load up with some picks, for the next two drafts cause the players, the team needs can only be acquired cheaply, through the draft.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, iinatcc said:

I was wondering that too but i disagree. 

The quality of chances produced today was much better than anything we've seen under Green. 

Im not an advanced stats guy but for me, the eye test tells me canucks are playing much better and a more exciting brand of hockey. 

If Horvat scores on that chance, we'd all be happy today. Petterson with the partial breakaway. Petterson missing the net on the tip. 

Hogz being a touch late on the screen. 

Any of those could have been a goal. This is against the champs. 

With green, the offense was so stifled. I would even say yesterday would have been a blowout with Green's system. Well never know... 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Just saw two top teams and really competed well. If Demko had been the Demko we know and snagged just a couple more saves, different results easily. 

Yup. 

We just took on the top 2 teams in the NHL and it showed we don't belong at the top with them. We would only be there if Demko plays lights out and our top stars play better. It did show me that we aren't far off though. We had our chances. 

This is a road trip from hell. 

Hopefully they finish strong. 

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Yup. 

We just took on the top 2 teams in the NHL and it showed we don't belong at the top with them. We would only be there if Demko plays lights out and our top stars play better. It did show me that we aren't far off though. We had our chances. 

Maybe we don't belong at the top but showed we can hang last night.

Really a one goal loss and we didnt get anything from our top 6.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

Yup. 

I think we would have won both games without the lay-off rust. We simply missed the finishing touch offensively and one additional save. I still think we are a play-off team this year and are still over 70% (something like 7-2-1) in the last 10 games.   

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Would be nice to see, if the Canucks can load up with some picks, for the next two drafts cause the players, the team needs can only be acquired cheaply, through the draft.

How would they do that?  They're not tearing down and starting over

• Cheers 3

Just now, bishopshodan said:

Maybe we don't belong at the top but showed we can hang last night.

Really a one goal loss and we didnt get anything from our top 6.

Agreed. 

We'll find out on the rest of the road trip but i think we are more like a top 10. We hung in with the best and it could have gone either way 

• Cheers 1

Reading the boards right now you'd think we've absolutely gotten blown out 2 games in a row. Reality however points to us being pretty competitive against arguably two of the best teams in the NHL after a prolonged period of time off (which happened in the midst of a historic winning streak). Some of these overreactions are scary. Give the team another 7-10 of regular play and save the absolute verdicts until then. 

• Vintage 1

35 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I was wondering that too but i disagree. 

The quality of chances produced today was much better than anything we've seen under Green. 

Im not an advanced stats guy but for me, the eye test tells me canucks are playing much better and a more exciting brand of hockey. 

If Horvat scores on that chance, we'd all be happy today. Petterson with the partial breakaway. Petterson missing the net on the tip. 

Hogz being a touch late on the screen. 

Any of those could have been a goal. This is against the champs. 

With green, the offense was so stifled. I would even say yesterday would have been a blowout with Green's system. Well never know... 

It's so much different.    They're not as stationary and they're moving the puck around much quicker (even if they don't always connect).  They're also much more aggressive on the puck.  Also going for the greasy goals rather than just shooting from the perimeter then allowing the other team to get the puck and move it out.  They were engaged, physical and it was an entertaining game.

This game easily could've gone either way and we played as well (better in my mind) than Tampa.  Not the result we wanted, but they certainly looked good out there.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, 13231 said:

Reading the boards right now you'd think we've absolutely gotten blown out 2 games in a row. Reality however points to us being pretty competitive against arguably two of the best teams in the NHL after a prolonged period of time off (which happened in the midst of a historic winning streak). Some of these overreactions are scary. Give the team another 7-10 of regular play and save the absolute verdicts until then. 

at this point, specifically if anyone actually wants this team to make the playoffs this season, a 4-2 loss is the same as a 10-1 loss. Neither moves you up in the standings. Likewise a 1-0 regulation win is as good 7-2 win at this point.

11 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Sure but the top players have to be top players consistently. This team always has had players play hot or go cold all at the same time. They are very consistently inconsistent.

It's almost like you've never watched hockey before. Congratulations on your first lesson. Middle of the league teams struggle with consistency. That's why they're in the middle of the pack and not the top of the league.

4 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

at this point, specifically if anyone actually wants this team to make the playoffs this season, a 4-2 loss is the same as a 10-1 loss. Neither moves you up in the standings. Likewise a 1-0 regulation win is as good 7-2 win at this point.

Some ONLY look at results but the fact of the matter is that this team wasn't looking so good awhile ago and they now have moved back into a place where we can at least consider moving up to a spot that matters.  They're battling, hard, to get there so that's something that some of us recognize and appreciate.  It's not as bleak as it was.

We have games in hand now too...before, other teams had a whole lot of extra room to move away from us.  It evened out quite nicely.  So sure, wins are important but we just strung a whole bunch of them together so don't discount that part.  They won't win every game but how they compete tells us a lot.

For me, I watch the games for entertainment and not JUST "to win the cup" because, well, only one team's gonna do that.  So enjoying the ride is important.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

9 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

At the beginning of the trip we could essentially lose up to 2 games and keep playoff hopes minimally alive.  

Not even squeaking a point out of Florida leaves us teetering on the brink.

We're halfway through the season.....it's still too early to really determine that.  I can never understand people summarizing at this point when there's still so much ground to cover. 

I guess, for me, it's partly do I choose to be miserable or happy?  There are reasons to nitpick but, in all honestly, I've had enough of the negativity and we finally have some positives to focus on.  Our team has really turned it around and shown some good things....hockey is fun again.  Not long ago, it really wasn't.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

52 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Or Petey getting a point. We really miss him. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

That's the catch...

looking to get better through the draft, means at least 4-5 more years before we really can challenge (at least)... podz and Hogz good examples. Brock and Quinn like wise...

And how long does the players we have now want to hang around?

Think he's more likely to pick players around 20-21 years of age just about to break through, or maybe already just broken through... 

But that is the big question...