The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Tampa Bay Lightning | Jan. 13, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Even John and John were commenting work ethic wise last night was one the best performances of the year. 

I thought the team didn’t really quit on Green. They had probably turned the corner 3 or 4 games before he was fired. The difference I see with Boudreau is quite startling at times. He has the team playing a quick North-South game, has played more balanced lines, even out the TOI, more safer plays out of the d-zone if pressured, more aggressive on the puck carriers thru 200 feet and not sitting back on the PK to let teams create their attack. 

Yes their work ethic is there and you can tell these players are feeling it on the ice. Execute a play on a single shift and it does not have to result in a goal. You come back to the bench and you are already thinking of the next shift. I think that is how these players are feeling now. They can watch film today and see what worked and consider what to work on. Very positive IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Maybe we don't belong at the top but showed we can hang last night.

Really a one goal loss and we didnt get anything from our top 6.

Yep... get Petey (and Brock) back on song and we are a totally different team. 

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

at this point, specifically if anyone actually wants this team to make the playoffs this season, a 4-2 loss is the same as a 10-1 loss. Neither moves you up in the standings. Likewise a 1-0 regulation win is as good 7-2 win at this point.

I'm not debating the implications of the losses, ideally we win every game. But the overreactions are not valid,. The team is coming off of a 2 week break and put right into a road trip against the league's best teams, and is holding its own. The Petey trade suggestions, calls for rebuilds, scorched earth trade deadline movements should all wait if and until the losses pile on for the next 7-10 days. There is a reason we have a reputation as one of the most volatile & sensitive fan bases in hockey, these last two PGTs are indisputable evidence.  

• Vintage 1

Last nights game we played a bit better but not getting more than 1 shot on 4 power plays is very concerning. Simply put, the 5 guys Tampa can trot out on their power play are better than the 5 we can put out at this time. Having said that Petey should not be the net front presence. His strength is the shot from the side wall. Bo or Miller should be the net front presence. Brock should be the shot on the other side wall.  The point shot is not solid either. I miss Salo who could score from the point.

Brad Hunt is not playing well and needs to go back to Abby. Burroughs was the better defender and i know Boudreau had previous time with Hunt but it seems that is clouding his assessment. Myers was a tire fire again running into his own players, turning the puck over, not being able to clear the front of the net. Hughes has had a better year defending but that didnt show last night. OEL needs to bury the chances he gets skating into the offensive play. if he scores on the premium  chances he got last night its a different game.

Demko wasnt bubble Demko but he played well. To say he didnt doesnt give credence to the quality of the chances he faced compared to the other goaltenders on this trip. 90 shots and 4 goals. I dont remember the 2v0 breakaways the other goalie stopped? Vasilevsky was the Conn Smythe winner last year. I expect he might outplay Demko and given that we are not icing a lineup expected to challenge for the cup again this year he most likely does. Sometimes expectations are unrealistic.

Tampa and Florida are cup challengers again this year. We are still building. We are still finding out what our young players can do. I dont think we should be trading Petey or Brock or Miller yet. We do need cap space and a RHD. It might take trading a player that we have had for a few seasons to get those. I do know when the Sedins came to us in 99 it took 12 years to get to the cup finals. we arent getting there without some stumbling along the way. We have been spoiled for most of the 2000's with the West Coast Express and the Sedins. It will take building another prospect pool, some trades and some luck to get another team together like 94 . or 2011. We will have some success, and then we will have some fails.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

We're halfway through the season.....it's still too early to really determine that.  I can never understand people summarizing at this point when there's still so much ground to cover. 

I guess, for me, it's partly do I choose to be miserable or happy?  There are reasons to nitpick but, in all honestly, I've had enough of the negativity and we finally have some positives to focus on.  Our team has really turned it around and shown some good things....hockey is fun again.  Not long ago, it really wasn't.

I think it is more precedent and math.  97 points roughly is whats is needed to scrape into playoffs.  This essentially means needed 4 points of every 6 available going into this road trip.  Now we are at 35 points in 36 games so need roughly 62 points in the next 46 games.  So the equivalent of 31-15, not impossible but very improbable.

Team is definitely more fun to watch but a number of the teams we are trying to catch have stayed hot enough that we have made up little to no ground, other than on Edmonton.

I agree some good things going on and lots to look forward to but unless we start another 10 game run like the last soon the playoffs are not one of them.

24 minutes ago, spook007 said:

That's the catch...

looking to get better through the draft, means at least 4-5 more years before we really can challenge (at least)... podz and Hogz good examples. Brock and Quinn like wise...

And how long does the players we have now want to hang around?

Think he's more likely to pick players around 20-21 years of age just about to break through, or maybe already just broken through... 

But that is the big question...

Good points but I disagree with the timeline cause it will first depend on the prospects' make up, how fast that player adapts; and we had seen a few players (EP, Boeser, Hughes & Hogz) come in & take a roster spot from day one.  Probably, best to give the rookies a legit chance, in the pre season before making any moves to the roster - a mistake JB, made (a few times) by filling the roster with  expensive [great intangibles] player before seeing how rookies, will do, in there first camp. Ofcourse, the biggest x factor, is the coach but a rookie understanding, the situation can make the coaches decision easier by coming in ready to take a spot.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Vintage 1

13 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol people are prolly going to rip into EP again coz he didn't have any points.. but honestly i think he has played well enough in most of the games so far under boudreau.. he's not scoring but he's setting up plenty of grade A chance that were not finished.

the constant falling down, whiffing and missing the net, while being bumped off the puck much too easily is increasingly alarming as the season goes on. He is not today the player he was from his first game til the bubble

2 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

the constant falling down, whiffing and missing the net, while being bumped off the puck much too easily is increasingly alarming as the season goes on. He is not today the player he was from his first game til the bubble

Probably took something that is affecting him physically and mentally ?

• Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Agreed, and also I think there is a difference between people "ripping" on him and people who are genuinely concerned that EP is not even showing glimpses of what he once was.

He is basically playing like Virtanen. A player who everyone knows has the tools to succeed in this league, but for whatever reason is not finding those tools... But he was paid 3.5x less.

I don't think EP sucks, or is useless of should be traded ... But I'm becoming apathetic towards our highest paid player... That's not good 

2 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Agreed, and also I think there is a difference between people "ripping" on him and people who are genuinely concerned that EP is not even showing glimpses of what he once was.

He is basically playing like Virtanen. A player who everyone knows has the tools to succeed in this league, but for whatever reason is not finding those tools... But he was paid 3.5x less.

I don't think EP sucks, or is useless of should be traded ... But I'm becoming apathetic towards our highest paid player... That's not good 

He is apparently the hardest working Canuck during practice and stays extra etc. 

Comparing him to JV is an insult. 

Personally i think this is the first time in a decade where things arwnt going right for him and his confidence is shot. Hes never gone through adversity like this. His work ethic, drive and his skill level tells me he will eventually get out of this. Once goals start going in, i feel like he'll be back. 

This could be really helpful 3/4 years from now and we arw in a deep playoff run. Overcoming these types of adversity and having that experience will be what gets Petey to play at a consistently high level in the future 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

at this point, specifically if anyone actually wants this team to make the playoffs this season, a 4-2 loss is the same as a 10-1 loss. Neither moves you up in the standings. Likewise a 1-0 regulation win is as good 7-2 win at this point.

maybe florida and tampa didn't get the memo that they were supposed to not try against us.

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

So like my response on the Panthers game seems like the narrative in some the losses Green had this season.

Maybe in reality after the coaching change bump the performance the team had when Green was coaching is just what this team really is. 

45 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I think overall we have been quite a bit better.

Lines, deployment, strategies and chemistry. 

Just saw two top teams and really competed well. If Demko had been the Demko we know and snagged just a couple more saves, different results easily. 

42 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I was wondering that too but i disagree. 

The quality of chances produced today was much better than anything we've seen under Green. 

Im not an advanced stats guy but for me, the eye test tells me canucks are playing much better and a more exciting brand of hockey. 

If Horvat scores on that chance, we'd all be happy today. Petterson with the partial breakaway. Petterson missing the net on the tip. 

Hogz being a touch late on the screen. 

Any of those could have been a goal. This is against the champs. 

With green, the offense was so stifled. I would even say yesterday would have been a blowout with Green's system. Well never know... 

Unfortunately I think Inattcc is pretty correct on this. Sure, Green had the team underperforming and we're much better than the record we complied but a coach can only do so much, the rest lies on the quality of players. We definitely look better and more involved with BB but in reality we are a 7/8 team who doesn't know how to win consistently yet. We make far too many mistakes which is what separates the good teams from the mediocre ones. 

They had a very good chance to win yesterday but a horrible penalty from Pods gifted them the huge opening goal. Then we did what we always seem to do, not get out of the period and we gifted them a second goal with 20 seconds left. Our teams game management is absolutely atrocious. BB alluded to this as a key to winning the game. Then to really blow the game Hughes made an incredibly stupid play to try at all costs to keep the puck in, He got owned and gave TB a 2-0 breakaway goal for the win. In order to stop losing like this the players need to mature, and that takes time. A coach can definitely help in this regard but a lot of that is up to the players.

At the end of the day I feel we're right where we should be so I don't get all down after losing 2 games to the #1 and #2 team in the league. There were some great things to build off that keeps me hopeful this team can improve during the year and still challenge for a playoff spot. We actually outplayed TB in general terms. I think a lot of fans desperately tried pinning everything (and more) on Green, maybe even believing we were a Cup contender with a better coach. Unfortunately not all of our faults were Green's doing so unfortunately it's not quite that easy.

It's also a shame with all the talent we have no one is capable of taking charge and getting shots on the PP. Hughes, Miller, and Petterson, are particularly poor at this and Bo isn't much better. I'd like to get OEL back out there on PP1. This guy is a veteran pro and one of the only players who understands how to manage the game in 10 second intervals and take shots when the opportunity presents itself.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, smithers joe said:

maybe florida and tampa didn't get the memo that they were supposed to not try against us.

Lol

This road trip is a good measuring stick. 

We were close and pretty much right there with the top 2 teams in the league bit came up short (whether it be spexial teams, goalie, top guys not scoring etc) 

Im curious how we'll do with the next tier teams like STL and Nashville. 

If we bring our best every game this road trip, it will be very telling where we sit in terms of playoff teams and whether we even belong in that conversation 

10 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

I work weekends. They suck. Plus so do the Canucks in them it feels like. 

Both points valid.

I like the games because I don't work weekends. Nice to wake up and drink coffee and watch those slugs drag their bums around.

Excuse to start pounding the beers before noon although I am on day 14 now without....go team!

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Would be nice to see, if the Canucks can load up with some picks, for the next two drafts cause the players, the team needs can only be acquired cheaply, through the draft.

Depending on where they draft this is the time to pick up a Rockstar on d.

15 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Unfortunately I think Inattcc is pretty correct on this. Sure, Green had the team underperforming and we're much better than the record we complied but a coach can only do so much, the rest lies on the quality of players. We definitely look better and more involved with BB but in reality we are a 7/8 team who doesn't know how to win consistently yet. We make far too many mistakes which is what separates the good teams from the mediocre ones. 

They had a very good chance to win yesterday but a horrible penalty from Pods gifted them the huge opening goal. Then we did what we always seem to do, not get out of the period and we gifted them a second goal with 20 seconds left. Our teams game management is absolutely atrocious. BB alluded to this as a key to winning the game. Then to really blow the game Hughes made an incredibly stupid play to try at all costs to keep the puck in, He got owned and gave TB a 2-0 breakaway goal for the win. In order to stop losing like this the players need to mature, and that takes time. A coach can definitely help in this regard but a lot of that is up to the players.

At the end of the day I feel we're right where we should be so I don't get all down after losing 2 games to the #1 and #2 team in the league. There were some great things to build off that keeps me hopeful this team can improve during the year and still challenge for a playoff spot. We actually outplayed TB in general terms. I think a lot of fans desperately tried pinning everything (and more) on Green, maybe even believing we were a Cup contender with a better coach. Unfortunately not all of our faults were Green's doing so unfortunately it's not quite that easy.

It's also a shame with all the talent we have no one is capable of taking charge and getting shots on the PP. Hughes, Miller, and Petterson, are particularly poor at this and Bo isn't much better. I'd like to get OEL back out there on PP1. This guy is a veteran pro and one of the only players who understands how to manage the game in 10 second intervals and take shots when the opportunity presents itself.

I think it's quite asinine to see the last 2 losses (against the top 2 teams in the league) and then say, yeah it was the same under Green lol

Until we lose to the oilers x2, ducks x2, chicago, buffalo, flyers, red wings, no this team is absolutely not like the team under Green. 

In fact we've alrwady beaten teams that we lost to under Green like Columbus, Ducks, Bruins. 

One could argue that Green really screwed us by losing to teams like Chicago, flyers, redwings and Buffalo  as well as losing all our games to the ducks and oilers. 

Winning games we should be winning would be the difference between being a playoff team or being in our current situation. 

Unless we think we reallh are worse than teams like Buffalo, Chicago and Det. 

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Disagree. I mean, I agree with some of you points but..

BB is showing coaching is a massive part of success.

We were the slightly better team in the game last night despite the loss. We need Demko  though and our PP took a step back until the last one in the third which was pretty good. One goal game where we out played the best team at 5 on 5 on the road. Pretty good stuff to build on.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1