The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Tampa Bay Lightning | Jan. 13, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

48 minutes ago, rotiman187 said:

Sorry I didn't make it accurate enough for you. Regardless he gets paid the big bucks and is providing nothing. 

accuracy is somewhat important if you want people to take anything you say seriously. 

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Oh okay. I agree we're looking better and the last two games we still played well. My commentary was based on the notion we are a middle of the pack team and not quite at either level we've seen. I mean I don't think we're Green bad but I don't think we're at the bump level either. Or do you think we're a .875 (pre road) or even .750 team moving forward?

I say we rank at 14 or so in the league if we play to our potential. I think if Petersson was playing like his calder level year and Boeser was playing like last season then they would rank even higher. We have won the 8 games under Boudreau with Petersson not playing well. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Oh okay. I agree we're looking better and the last two games we still played well. My commentary was based on the notion we are a middle of the pack team and not quite at either level we've seen. I mean I don't think we're Green bad but I don't think we're at the bump level either. Or do you think we're a .875 (pre road) or even .750 team moving forward?

You are probably right. We are not at the bump level but much better than under Green (which was bottom 5 in the league).

Honestly, we should be between 10-18 range in the entire NHL. We are closer to being a 10th ranked team if Petey is PPG, our PP gets lethal, and OEL puts up points. But with Petey struggling like he is now, we are a borderline playoff team.

The encouraging things is that despite Petey's struggle, we are going toe-to-toe with the top teams and outshooting them.

I bet this is how Boudreau's TODO list looks like:

1. Get Petey scoring on 5-on-5.

2. Get Petey scoring on PP.

3. Get Petey scoring period.

100. Petey. Petey. Petey.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, gottalovethosenucks said:

Jacob markstrom is that you ???

If Alf is Marky, then yeah he sure seems bitter but I don't know why?

Marky has more shutouts this year than he had in his time with the Canucks.

That's how bad our defence was. lol

I think Marky is happy in Calgary.

49 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

I say we rank at 14 or so in the league if we play to our potential. I think if Petersson was playing like his calder level year and Boeser was playing like last season then they would rank even higher. We have won the 8 games under Boudreau with Petersson not playing well. 

Probably better to say not scoring at the levels we are accustomed to or expect.  No major issues with the defensive side of the puck.

Our top guys aren’t contributing jack $&!# is what’s costing us game.

Our depth has been amazing, but it’s nothing If our top guys aren’t performing.

OEL, Petey, Boeser, Horvat.

Unacceptable. OEL has been brutal since he came back from that little injury. IMO, he’s been the biggest disappointment. 

• Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Unacceptable. OEL has been brutal since he came back from that little injury. IMO, he’s been the biggest disappointment. 

More than EP? At least OEL is coming back from an injury. EP has no excuse.

If EP doesn't put up points, we lose more than we win. If OEL doesn't put up points but defends well, we can still win.

I think EP is the biggest disappointment. I just hope he turns it around soon.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DefCon1 said:

I think they will give Pettersson another season to get it going. He is a similar case to Nylander who held out and played terrible after signing but the next season he was back to his normal self. I dont get why Canucks fans are super patient with a bust like Virtanen, gave him 5 years to see if he can become even a decent 2nd liner while we try to rush a trade with a player who won the calder just a couple of seasons ago and had a great playoff. I think he needs a full training camp next season to judge where he is at. If he doesnt go back to normal next season then JR will probably trade him at that point but I think Canucks will be patient with him now, they need to be. I dont want to lose Petersson for a bag of pucks then watch him get 100 points with another team. They will be kicking themselves for a long time if that happened. The only way they trade Petersson now is if it is straight up for someone like Jack Eichel or Trevor Zegras. Other than that it will be a high risk, low reward to trade him now.

Yes, I can see things playing out this way.  But like I said, if EP continues to struggle and starts off slowly next season after the benefit of a full camp, then all bets are off.

Nylander is a good comparison, I think.  Goes to show how important attending camp can be for some players.

8 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

First. Alf go back to HF your negativity about All Star Demko is just silly and now you've been blocked.

Second. Did all the CDC bandwagoners leave?? PGT use to be dozens of pages long the morning after a game, now we sit at 14...or was it all the JB and TG haters racking up those pages!?!?

The boys played well, the PP is NOT working. Put OEL with Hughes on PP1, Hughes shot is like a soft nerf ball headed towards the net...need some kind of threat from a point shot to keep the PKers honest.

On to Carolina, should be another entertaining game to watch, Go Canucks 

Well i guess we know now, that 50 pages of PGT only happens when we lose and Travis Green is around.     That's plus the 15 or so pages we get these days.   Seems like Bruce scared the trolls back to their real teams.   It's well known our forum is the best and most active in the NHL...and now that Greens gone they've mostly gone home.

On Alf.   Leave the guy alone, he's a national treasure on this site - if he doesn't like Demko so be it.   I can live with that.   On coaching ... Bruce there it is!  He's still got it.    Keep rolling those lines and next time forget about PP1 like he said - we all watched this with Green great keep away, poor results. 

• Cheers 2

28 minutes ago, Odd. said:

EP...has 2 goals and 3 whole assists - 5 x 5 with 77.3% ozone starts.   Hmmm.   OEL - he's not our biggest disappointment.   Just curious, how many goals does Motte have now?   Funny how a pedigree gets you ever chance in this league (JV got it too),  but a guy like Motte just has to keep proving himself over and over again isn't it? 

• Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, khay said:

More than EP? At least OEL is coming back from an injury. EP has no excuse.

If EP doesn't put up points, we lose more than we win. If OEL doesn't put up points but defends well, we can still win.

I think EP is the biggest disappointment. I just hope he turns it around soon.

Khay that's how i see it as well.   At least OEL and Myers are insulating QHs.   Miller isn't insulating EP - not that he needed it his rookie year did he.   Don't want to slam the guy but man he's hurting us a lot.   So was Brock before Bruce and so was our PK.   Motte.   Where is his freaking due?   Only him and Myers injured and Demko did it for us in the  bubble...Motte plays his heart out every single game.   

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Shots in those two games was 90 for us and 50 for them.

Their goalies stopped pucks at .950 and Demko at .825.

Bubble Demko is top 5 in the world.  The guy we saw these last two games wasn't very good at all.  

JR will build this club around Demko, Hughes, and Petey because these are the guys who can play like they are the best at their position and win Cups.  

Looking at save percentage for just the 2 games is not a good way of judging. Did you look at where the shots are taken? Mostly in front of the net which is where most NHL goals comes from. And how about secondary shots? Demko has more secondary shots against than Vasileksy

So don't just take 2 numbers and run with it. Look at the whole dataset.

3 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

I think they will give Pettersson another season to get it going. He is a similar case to Nylander who held out and played terrible after signing but the next season he was back to his normal self. I dont get why Canucks fans are super patient with a bust like Virtanen, gave him 5 years to see if he can become even a decent 2nd liner while we try to rush a trade with a player who won the calder just a couple of seasons ago and had a great playoff. I think he needs a full training camp next season to judge where he is at. If he doesnt go back to normal next season then JR will probably trade him at that point but I think Canucks will be patient with him now, they need to be. I dont want to lose Petersson for a bag of pucks then watch him get 100 points with another team. They will be kicking themselves for a long time if that happened. The only way they trade Petersson now is if it is straight up for someone like Jack Eichel or Trevor Zegras. Other than that it will be a high risk, low reward to trade him now.

the bigger risk is, his value getting lower and lower after another season

5 minutes ago, sxqhfeh said:

the bigger risk is, his value getting lower and lower after another season

Nah.   Neely trauma still stands.  That's at least as a big as risk.    If your playing the odds,  EP should bounce back, and like a lot of folks thought after his first season , could still end up a HHOFer.   That said his decline is disturbing.   And agree there is risk in not trading him as well.   

Edited by IBatch

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

EP...has 2 goals and 3 whole assists - 5 x 5 with 77.3% ozone starts.   Hmmm.   OEL - he's not our biggest disappointment.   Just curious, how many goals does Motte have now?   Funny how a pedigree gets you ever chance in this league (JV got it too),  but a guy like Motte just has to keep proving himself over and over again isn't it? 

Still better average then Louie E... still has potential