Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ex-Canuck Reid Boucher pleads guilty to sexual assault of minor

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

On 1/15/2022 at 9:40 AM, -DLC- said:

This part ticks me off:

 

I understand he was 17 at the time, but the nature of this should really be part of his history.

 

Billet families let these players into their homes based on trust....this is really disturbing on so many levels.

This is what infuriates me about the justice system. They take into account the fact he was only 17, but basically ignore that fact that she was only 12. Age is only a factor in helping the criminal not the victim.

Edited by JayDangles
Spelling
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

This is what infuriates me about our justice system. They take into account the fact he was only 17, but basically ignore that fact that she was only 12. Age is only a factor in helping the criminal not the victim.

wasn't this in the US?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Yes, I caught that and fixed the post. I doubt the result would have been any different in Canada with how loosely we deal with sexual predators.

sadly thats probably true. Its too bad they didn't try to pursue harsher charges and try him as an adult. But maybe US law doesn't do that for this kind of abuse? not sure. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, D-Money said:

Yes, stick him with a bunch of the worst people in our society for months/years. That will surely improve the situation. <_<

 

Prison is one of the most counterproductive institutes we have. Not sure what the answer here is, but there's gotta be something better than that.

 

Sounds like he's among the worst people in our society, so I have no problem with him being in his company.

 

Send the people that covered it up there too while we're at it.

  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JayDangles said:

This is what infuriates me about the justice system. They take into account the fact he was only 17, but basically ignore that fact that she was only 12. Age is only a factor in helping the criminal not the victim.

Am I reading the article right?  Boucher raped a 12 year old girl, and then threatened her so he could rape her again?  Why is he not in prison, forever?  

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Am I reading the article right?  Boucher raped a 12 year old girl, and then threatened her so he could rape her again?  Why is he not in prison, forever?  

Its pretty common in sexual assault cases for them to allow the perpetrator to plead a lesser charge in order to avoid putting the victim through pain of a trial. However I agree completely Alf, why no jail time whatsoever?

  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Timråfan said:

One more reason why Utica was a terrible place to be at as a young player.

 

What in the hell are you talking about? What does Utica NEW YORK have to do with Boucher committing his crimes in MICHIGAN? He didn't play in Utica until 2017 and committed his crimes in MICHIGAN in 2011. How does one have anything to do with the other? Did you even read the article? He played in Vancouver in 2016 before he even played in Utica, so are you going to blame the city of Vancouver too for this scum bags predatory ways? 

  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Drop Em said:

What in the hell are you talking about? What does Utica NEW YORK have to do with Boucher committing his crimes in MICHIGAN? He didn't play in Utica until 2017 and committed his crimes in MICHIGAN in 2011. How does one have anything to do with the other? Did you even read the article? He played in Vancouver in 2016 before he even played in Utica, so are you going to blame the city of Vancouver too for this scum bags predatory ways? 

He was The player in Utica that took the no 1spot  from our prospects. 
As he seems to be somewhat of a psychopath he is a person thats manipulates coaches and teammates in a negative way.

Get it?

Edited by Timråfan
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

He was The player in Utica that took the no 1spot  from our prospects. 
As he seems to be somewhat of a psychopath he is a person thats manipulates coaches and teammates in a negative way.

Get it?

WTF are you talking about? You said that it's another reason why Utica was a terrible place to be for a young player. This has NOTHING to do with Utica or anything on the ice. He manipulated and sexually assaulted a 12 year old girl, 5 years before he even became Canucks property. Show me where he manipulated the coaches and players. So no I don't get WTF you're talking about, and clearly you don't either.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Alflives said:

Am I reading the article right?  Boucher raped a 12 year old girl, and then threatened her so he could rape her again?  Why is he not in prison, forever?  

He was 17 at the time, so a juvenile. Unless there are aggravating factors most states in the US will try him as a juvenile and the punishment is usually rehabilitation. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/15/2022 at 5:21 PM, -DLC- said:

I hate that we focus on "him" though.  If it makes HER feel better knowing he's there, then that's more important.

 

I agree with trying to rehabilitate people....but not at the expense of their victims, who deserve justice.   

 

On 1/15/2022 at 6:33 PM, -DLC- said:

Well according to this, I believe she deserved better.  And, in all honesty, it's up to the victim to decide how they feel and what provides justice and healing for them.   

 

A jail sentence means he has to endure some suffering and perhaps gains some empathy through that.  I'm ok with that.

 

 

 

 

from Deb

According to the Detroit Free Press, the judge said the sentence reduction was appropriate given “unusual” circumstances in the case and also noted Boucher’s age at the time of the reported assault and how long it has been since then.

As the offence occurred when Boucher was a minor, under Michigan state law, if he successfully completes whatever his sentence proves to be, the conviction won’t appear on his public record.

The young woman, now 23, told The Free Press that she’s disgusted with the sentence.

“He’s never had to face any accountability. And then in the meantime … my entire life was kind of shattered into a million pieces,” she said. “I’ve had to piece that together over the past 10 years.”

She said she didn’t even tell her parents about what had happened until she was 15 and tumbled into problems with drugs and alcohol, engaged in self-harm and developed an eating disorder. She said the Larry Nassar case — the team doctor for USA Gymnastics who was convicted of abusing girls and women — prompted her to report her allegations to Ann Arbor, Mich., police last year.

 

.from the original article

The article from the Detroit Free Press states USA Hockey was contacted about the incident in 2011, but all it did was remove Boucher from the billet home and placed him elsewhere.

 

Ironic Deb that you say that you hate that the focus is on him and not her and yet you yourself seem focused on his punishment over her healing and well being. 

You say that it is up to the victim to decide what is justice.

That is just wrong

 

You seem to be assuming that jail for Boucher will magically make all the victim's problems disappear, like her drug, alcohol, self harm and eating disorder issues.

How do you justify that?

 

Also interesting that in 2 Detroit Free Press statement, (I can't say if it is the same article or not) Hockey USA was alerted and Boucher was removed from the home in 2011, but the victim did not tell her parents until she 3 years after the incident.

There is a problem with that time line.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Drop Em said:

WTF are you talking about? You said that it's another reason why Utica was a terrible place to be for a young player. This has NOTHING to do with Utica or anything on the ice. He manipulated and sexually assaulted a 12 year old girl, 5 years before he even became Canucks property. Show me where he manipulated the coaches and players. So no I don't get WTF you're talking about, and clearly you don't either.

Do you really think he only manipulated that girl? 
Reid was, if I remember it right, the best player pointwise in Utica. 
Then you can do the math yourself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sigh... another one of these..:(

 

This one hits me square in the chest. I thought I was reading my own story. I feel for this girl, I surely hope she can heal and move forward with her life. I hope she realizes that his punishment doesn't help or hinder her own healing. The healing starts when you stop focusing on him all together. That's the true justice. He wins when he consumes your life even when he's not physically in it. Stay strong girl. 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Drop Em said:

WTF are you talking about? You said that it's another reason why Utica was a terrible place to be for a young player. This has NOTHING to do with Utica or anything on the ice. He manipulated and sexually assaulted a 12 year old girl, 5 years before he even became Canucks property. Show me where he manipulated the coaches and players. So no I don't get WTF you're talking about, and clearly you don't either.

I think @Timråfan makes a good point.

 

Now that we know Boucher's true character, it's possible/likely that he had a negative influence on teammates in Utica.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Master Mind said:

I think @Timråfan makes a good point.

 

Now that we know Boucher's true character, it's possible/likely that he had a negative influence on teammates in Utica.

Yeah because his logic is airtight and not in any way a non sequitur. 

7 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Do you really think he only manipulated that girl? 
Reid was, if I remember it right, the best player pointwise in Utica. 
Then you can do the math yourself.

 

  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Do you really think he only manipulated that girl? 
Reid was, if I remember it right, the best player pointwise in Utica. 
Then you can do the math yourself.

Do you have any proof that he manipulated any of his grown ADULT male coaches or fellow players - NO YOU DON'T! He's a sexual predator who preyed on a little girl. Most of those guys do that because they know they can prey on the weaker/more vulnerable.....and a large group of ADULT alpha males wouldn't let him do that and would likely deservedly beat his ass if he tried.

He might have been a top point producer, but he was never ever considered one of their top prospects. And anything on the ice has NOTHING to do with repeatedly sexually assaulting a little girl anyways?

Try and keep up.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...