The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Carolina Hurricanes | Jan. 15, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Looked like textbook Travis Green hockey today. The way Carolina was forechecking and pressuring our forwards in their zone is what we were beginning to play like, but somehow it all fell apart today in this game. Long lapses of passive hockey were significantly apparent tonight, on top of terrible passing, breakouts and an overtly cute powerplay. Still giving the team benefit of the doubt because they played well in Florida after such a strange 2 week break, but I hope BB rips them apart for this effort. 

I have a feeling Petey will begin to click soon, his effort is visible and he's consistently creating chances. I hope he's shown a little mercy today by the wave of criticism the team will deservedly face today. 

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I believe the Rutherford et Al will have been using this road trip as their metric for value and trade pieces

Pettersson love him or not should be available

Boeser available

Miller available

Hunt/Dickenson the bottom 6 available.

This next two years will be a rebuild of a rebuild and that's that.

On a side note...I swear I heard a rumour involving tallon as a possible interview for the GM position.  Unsure if true or not but I'd enjoy that.

The NHL apparently won't allow Tallon to work for any team.  He was there in Chicago and was also investigated for racial and religious insults in Florida.  The Florida claims couldn't be substantiated but the league doesn't disclose everything.  

Just now, 13231 said:

Looked like textbook Travis Green hockey today. The way Carolina was forechecking and pressuring our forwards in their zone is what we were beginning to play like, but somehow it all fell apart today in this game. Long lapses of passive hockey were significantly apparent tonight, on top of terrible passing, breakouts and an overtly cute powerplay. Still giving the team benefit of the doubt because they played well in Florida after such a strange 2 week break, but I hope BB rips them apart for this effort. 

I have a feeling Petey will begin to click soon, his effort is visible and he's consistently creating chances. I hope he's shown a little mercy today by the wave of criticism the team will deservedly face today. 

Why does Petey deserve mercy in the wave of criticism? He’s been awful and makes so much money.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

8-0-1 and then 0-3-0 still equates to 8-3-1, if we play at even 7-3-0 for the rest of the season then we make the playoffs. Just have to make sure this blep is because of the long layoff/rough schedule and not the status quo, it's too early to tell which is which. I think the upcoming home trip will really shed light onto how good we really are because we play some quality opponents at home. 

3 steps forward, only 2 steps back this time as opposed to with Green where it was 1 step forward 3 steps back.

Thank you for that.

Important to look at the big picture once and awhile. 

As much as it sucks to lose 3 in a row if anyone told you we’d be 8-3-1 in Boudreau’s first 12 games you’d take it and run!

We weren’t gonna get back in the playoff picture this soon, it’s gonna take time. Important to get a W and get back on track tomorrow though.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 3

11 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I believe the Rutherford et Al will have been using this road trip as their metric for value and trade pieces

Pettersson love him or not should be available

Boeser available

Miller available

Hunt/Dickenson the bottom 6 available.

This next two years will be a rebuild of a rebuild and that's that.

On a side note...I swear I heard a rumour involving tallon as a possible interview for the GM position.  Unsure if true or not but I'd enjoy that.

Horvat as well. Also wouldn't mind doing a full re-build and trading demko too. Hughes we can keep cuz he has 5 more years. 

Edited by DontMessMe
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2

Brad Hunt has to sit tomorrow.  He was pretty bad tonight.  

No idea why Conor Garland is getting so little ice time.  Tough game for everyone.  

6 minutes ago, J-P said:

No denying we played a bad game, but at the same time Carolina was crazy good. Thought we did ok against FLA and TB but if you don't score it doesn't really matter how well you play.

I wonder - is there really a team in the west that stands a chance against any of TB/FLA/CAR (or even PIT or BOS) in the playoffs? I'm guessing no.

Maybe Colorado if they make the final healthy, but I wonder about their goaltending. 

Vegas could be a wild card depending on what happens with Eichel. Maybe the Blues, but I doubt it.

Not many teams out west that I'd feel have a fair shot against any of those first three in a seven game series. 

2 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Why does Petey deserve mercy in the wave of criticism? He’s been awful and makes so much money.

I'm speaking of his performance in today's game where he was probably the only noticeable forward besides Horvat and Pearson in a good way. Overall we definitely need the 2018-20 Petey back but I think he's getting there, his lack of success in recent games in not for the lack of effort. 

• Cheers 1

Definitely concerning though that out of the supposed core only Horvat has been consistent on this road trip. Demko hasn't really found his groove again after the break, Miller's been good at times but also awful at times, Hughes has not been good the last 2 games with lots of mistakes and bad passing, EP and BB still not playing well.

These have been tough games, so nobody's expecting them to dominate, but I guess it underlines that this roster is not well balanced at all and that our core players aren't quite there yet.

Just now, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

most Petey Cristicism right now is Captain obvious quotes. Im pretty sure he knows he sucks right now. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Maybe Colorado if they make the final healthy, but I wonder about their goaltending. 

Vegas could be a wild card depending on what happens with Eichel. Maybe the Blues, but I doubt it.

Not many teams out west that I'd feel have a fair shot against any of those first three in a seven game series. 

St Louis is a team I wouldn't want to play in a 7 game series.  

5 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

St Louis is a team I wouldn't want to play in a 7 game series.  

Me either, but I dunno

Nashville's been good this year too, one of the hottest teams in the league right now

7-2-1 in their last 10 

I never say never until the last team clinches a playoff spot, but having a partial year to get Bruce acclimated to our team regardless of where we finish this season will only benefit us moving forward.

Still, so far in the Boudreau era we’re matching or outplaying most of our opponents even if we’re not winning all the time, which is a vast improvement over Green hockey.

47 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Old habits crept back in today.

Seems like it’s going to be tougher than we thought to get the Green stench off this team.

Yup

they were slow to loose pucks and not being aggressive enough with the puck carrier as well as sticking to the perimeter and not providing enough support when they had the puck

they to need to try to correct these deficiencies one at a time 

28 minutes ago, J-P said:

Definitely concerning though that out of the supposed core only Horvat has been consistent on this road trip. Demko hasn't really found his groove again after the break, Miller's been good at times but also awful at times, Hughes has not been good the last 2 games with lots of mistakes and bad passing, EP and BB still not playing well.

These have been tough games, so nobody's expecting them to dominate, but I guess it underlines that this roster is not well balanced at all and that our core players aren't quite there yet.

That's what I've been saying. Our core needs to mature.