The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks at Washington Capitals | Jan. 16, 2022 @ 11:00 am

Rate this topic

goalie13

3 minutes ago, FijianCanuck said:

That's a huge break

If Oshie, Ovechkin and Carlson are out for this game we better figure out how to come away with a win. You don’t get gifted a better chance then that against Washington. We’d probably face the worst Capitals lineup in any game this entire season both before and after this match.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, rychicken said:

over the course of a full season, do you feel this team is:

a) t-5 in the league

b) 6-10

c) 11-16
d) 17-24
e) 25-32

Middle of the pack somewhere (C).  

I was hoping we might squeak in to the playoffs and then...who knows?   Because of that momentum thing I talk about and the fact that we have Demko.  

Under current circumstances?  Our top players have to start scoring some points, plain and simple.  If any of them get hot, things can starting looking a whole lot different.  But they aren't trash as some would have us believe.

Just now, StanleyCupOneDay said:

If Oshie, Ovechkin and Carlson are out for this game we better figure out how to come away with a win. You don’t get gifted a better chance then that against Washington. We’d probably face the worst Capitals lineup in any game this entire season both before and after this match.

OV's reportedly out for warmups?

Just now, -DLC- said:

Middle of the pack somewhere under better circumstances. 

I was hoping we might squeak in to the playoffs and then...who knows?   Because of that momentum thing I talk about and the fact that we have Demko.

Under current circumstances?  Our top players have to start scoring some points, plain and simple.  If any of them get hot, things can starting looking a whole lot different.

No worries Deb. We are getting into the Playoffs. Team is going to get hot to take us there. Round 2 exit

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Oshie and Carlsson are out. Still that's a big loss for caps.

5 minutes ago, rychicken said:

over the course of a full season, do you feel this team is:

a) t-5 in the league

b) 6-10

c) 11-16
d) 17-24
e) 25-32

I think with a fully functioning EP, we're comfortably in C. Maybe even pushing B.

Without him firing on all cylinders, we're probably on the opposite end of C and straddling D.

We're certainly not the E we were playing like for the first couple months though. 

35 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Well, I guess the real Canucks are back, the excitement of a new coach has lost some of its shine. Playing the best teams is exposing their deficiencies. It's not a coaching problem, it's a player personnel problem. They just aren't good enough yet. Benning was desperate and made some poor decisions, and now here we are.

Waiting for JR and crew to make the improvements. 

I think JB's biggest mistake was working so hard to get out of contracts while improving the overall skill of the forwards and bringing in a bunch of Dmen he kind of glazed over the bottom 6 hoping it would all come together. It didn't.

On paper our PP should be pretty awesome but it's gut wrenching to watch. Someone has to get through to these guys to shoot the puck. Hughes needs to shoot a bit more but Petterson especially. I'd also take Bo off and put Garland or Podz in there. If Bo isn't getting that bumper pass he's not much of a PP guy.

25 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Just imagine how much better the team is if Petey could just play like his old self…

200.gif

Then we are top 3 team in our division and probably just outside of top 10 in the league.

EP was neck and neck with Aho. If EP took the next step and starts to dominate his competition like Aho, we would be a top 10 team.

I think we have very good support pieces but it assumes EP-QH-TD delivering. So far, QH and TD are delivering. 

45 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I never had us up there with the teams we just played. We don't need to be that good to make the playoffs. We need to beat the ducks of the league and the flyers of the league.

I agree. We played ok against the Panthers, good against the Lightning and I think outclassed against the Hurricanes. I didn't see a point where we just gave up and floated which is the most important thing.

• Vintage 1

Just now, 73 Percent said:

Good thing we postponed all those games while we were rolling and healthy. Thanks aqua...

IMO several of our top players were quite upset with our owner’s decisions no after the 2020 bubble. Now our owner adds the postponed games so he can profit more.