The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Sean Burke as Potential GM

Rate this topic

ShawnAntoski

Didn't this guy also take a ponzi-BATH, via some dubious financial-chicanery?! Prob still pi$$ed at Van city for MK dealing him quicker than a bent Opee Chee card, in them tragic late 90's.

Despite his on-ice talent, never seemed to deliver in the crunch.

Not a dude I'd want swinging deals with the 31 other vultures.

1 hour ago, on the cycle said:

Soo Burke had a domestic dispute charge in '97? Not saying it's good but I would hope he is not a bad guy anymore if it's been almost 25 years.

Should he be given another chance?

Just read up in him... He remarried and was in another abusive relationship... This time she was hitting him.  This was from a us magazine article Dec 2020.  She I guess is a recovering alcoholic and realizes she's lesbian.... And wanted to see if they can coexist in an open marriage while raising children.  Okay, I'm not one to judge, as I have been an a number of crazy unhealthy relationships in my younger years...

All I know is, it took years of hard work and courage to change my ways and choices with relation to who I attracted as a potential partner and how I treated myself and them within our union... REGARDLESS, it took a lot of energy and I know for sure, I wouldn't have been able to focus on both my home life and my professional life equally effectively (and my career wasn't nearly as demanding and pressure laden as Burkes would be).  So I commend him if he's figured it out. BUT, is he so 'head and shoulders' more qualified as our potential GM, compared to another candidate with far less dramatic unhealthy personal history? 

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

And no salary cap in 97/98 cup wins. That team was loaded. The 2002 team was after the cap and absolutely amazing work to get under the cap. 

Actually not true but can understand the reasoning (a lot of talent), the 97/98 teams were middle of the row spenders league wide (less then 40 but can't remember exact amount) ... 2002 team is part of the reason there was a lockout year...yes they bought a cup that year, but no cap yet .... the cap took quite some time to exceed what they spent in 2002.   

3 hours ago, on the cycle said:

Soo Burke had a domestic dispute charge in '97? Not saying it's good but I would hope he is not a bad guy anymore if it's been almost 25 years.

Should he be given another chance?

No he shouldn't. Set the tone for the rest of the league.  That this $&!# will not be tolerated.  Ever. Period.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Would prefer we hire a real man instead of a wife beater.  I'll be looking for another team if this dirtbag is brought in.

Wife beater???

Really??

Funny story.

I went to a game years and years and years ago with an ex girlfriend.. I was 19 or 20.

I was a pretty rowdy drunk when I was younger and I was 3rd period wasted sitting right behind Burke at a coyotes vs Canucks game and I started a Sean Burke sucks chant.

Well I thought I did. My sober gf told me I was the only one screaming it lol. He definitely heard me, I was in the 5th row. 

I've always looked back at that game in embarrassment. What an idiot I was...

However now that apparently he's a wife bearing coward, I hope he still hears me when he's alone in silence lmao

I feel this would be a very unwise choice to have as face of hockey ops. Especially with what has gone on with ex Canucks over the years. I hope that Rutherford is more in tune with society to allow this to happen. We can not brush away past atrocities, and act like everything's better now.  This gives the wrong look to young females and people from other countries as we try to grow the game, and just morally wrong in general. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Hopefully the real leading candidates are not getting as much media attention because the names that are emerging are very underwhelming…

Is the job so undesirable here that Allvin, Mellanby, and Burke are the best names we can attract? 

Haven't heard too much of Simon or Theodore in the media so maybe there's something there.

8 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Hopefully the real leading candidates are not getting as much media attention because the names that are emerging are very underwhelming…

Is the job so undesirable here that Allvin, Mellanby, and Burke are the best names we can attract? 

7 hours ago, Me_ said:

Can we please have a real, experienced GM?

We should’ve made a move for Holland when he became available.

Hiring an experienced GM doesn't guarantee that we automatically will have someone who will lead us to the cup.

There's gonna be good and bad apples from the inexperienced and experienced pool. I'm totally for JR grooming an inexperienced candidate and moulding them into a great GM.

Also, Holland.. really? Lmao

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Hiring an experienced GM doesn't guarantee that we automatically will have someone who will lead us to the cup.

There's gonna be good and bad apples from the inexperienced and experienced pool. I'm totally for JR grooming an inexperienced candidate and moulding them into a great GM.

Rutherford is definitely hockey brass.

Glad to have him on our side.

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

I heard this guy Bim Jenning is pretty experienced.....

7 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Holland??:sick:

Before he was a Deadmonton, Holland was the shine of the league. Everyone was comparing themselves to that Detroit dynasty. The name Holland rang riches.

But like everything great, whether it’s Paris, a Stanley Cup dynasty, or the post-2011 Canucks, it fades away when it runs stagnant.  

He’s dangerous in Edmonton. They need a playoff goaltender. They’ll get one. 

Rutherford and Boudreau are hockey brass and I’m completely happy with this duo.

And how about that Walker guy on D… 

Not bad. Not bad at all.

I don’t really understand why Sean Burke might be the leading candidate.

He doesn’t have any AGM experience, except maybe a little time with the Coyotes organization. And it’s not like that’s an organization that teams are scouring because they have good executives. 

I’d be more interested in Pat Verbeek who’s been with Yzerman in Tampa Bay and now with the Red Wings, and also Allvin from Pitts. 

I wonder if the stuff with Burke is smoke and mirrors?