The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The dumpster fire that is the Edmonton Oilers

Rate this topic

MikeBossy

Yeah seeing Edmonton falter every year in the playoffs despite having McJesus and Drysaddle is like watching the Devil return for his payment from someone who made a Faustian bargain. Its super satisfying. The entitlement of Oilers fans knows no bounds.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

I have to say it's times like right now when I love being a Canucks fan in Alberta.

And their inbred cousins down the road the Flames - another wonderful team to watch implode :D

Unfortunately, I don't think the Flames have any worries.  They have a huge number of games in hand over the American teams and have only 11 losses so far.  The Sharks and Ducks should be worried.

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

I have to say it's times like right now when I love being a Canucks fan in Alberta. The chirping I put up with at the start of the season has become an enjoyable silence as Oiler fans realize that once again they likely have wasted another year of McDavid and Draisaitl in futility here in Coilerville. The Stanley Cup parade planning committee has become the "Run Koskkinen out of town" committee and soon EPS will be starting patrol along the bridges to make sure fans don't jump into the river. :emot-parrot:

Loved watching the Sens comeback and McDavids pouty press conference. That team has a leadership issue and bringing in Kane won't help and I am loving it. Yes Petey is having an off season but the Canucks are trying to stay competitive whereas the Coilers have a 3 to 4 year window to win with McDavid and Leon and so many holes to fill. Skinner isn't their goalie in waiting, Bouchard isn't the defensive d man they need and even Hyman can't score. 

And their inbred cousins down the road the Flames - another wonderful team to watch implode :D

lol I know what you mean I am also a Canucks fan currently living in AB for the moment but wife and I moving to BC soon I have always hated the regional lockouts so I miss like half the Canucks games. Flames unfortunately are doing well this Season but I hate the Flames more then the Oilers.

• Like 1

don't know if it's real or ??? read a tweet earlier today that Mc-crybaby went straight to the GM last night after the game and demanded...' you get me a real goalie tomorrow or trade me outta here' 

yeah like get real, who has room for 12.5 mill per year for a playoff disappearance act?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Goaltending and defensive issues aside, they're unlikely to keep losing forever and they're right in the mix despite their slide 

They need changes, but their top talent is too talented for them to ever be bottom feeders, which puts them in our bracket 

If the boys take em lightly it might just burn em

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

The funny thing is Vancouver/Edmonton/Toronto all have similar problems. They've overpaid on certain positions, and can't get a balanced team. 

The Canucks can't afford to trade draft picks. We need young, cheap players to refill our roster. So that we can hopefully keep the bulk of the team and stay competitive 

and not get kicked out in the first or second round. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Goaltending and defensive issues aside, they're unlikely to keep losing forever and they're right in the mix despite their slide 

They need changes, but their top talent is too talented for them to ever be bottom feeders, which puts them in our bracket 

If the boys take em lightly it might just burn em

You can't win with 4 AHL D and an ECHL starting goalie, and they don't have the cap space or prospect pool to address those issues.  They also have a locker room cancer for a captain who needs a tourist visa to enter his own zone.  Until they address these issues, they're unlikely to start winning; this is the real Oilers we are seeing now.

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

You can't win with 4 AHL D and an ECHL starting goalie, and they don't have the cap space or prospect pool to address those issues.  They also have a locker room cancer for a captain who needs a tourist visa to enter his own zone.  Until they address these issues, they're unlikely to start winning; this is the real Oilers we are seeing now.

They don't have to make the playoffs this season to beat us though, they just have to get in our way 

Significant change likely wouldn't happen til the offseason at the earliest anyway

Edited by Coconuts

28 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

They don't have to make the playoffs this season to beat us though, they just have to get in our way 

Significant change likely wouldn't happen til the offseason at the earliest anyway

To be honest, the Oilers being a mediocre playoff bubble team could be way more damaging for them long-term than bottoming out altogether. If McDavid and Draisaitl do just enough to convince their management that they can actually contend with this group, they might continue to double down on what they're doing now instead of realizing that it probably won't work and making serious changes.

I don't really care whether they get in the Canucks' way this year. So long as they aren't a long-term threat to contend, I'm fine to see them continue to be a bubble team.

Edited by Brad Marchand

3 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

To be honest, the Oilers being a mediocre playoff bubble team could be way more damaging for them long-term than bottoming out altogether. If McDavid and Draisaitl do just enough to convince their management that they can actually contend with this group, they might continue to double down on what they're doing now instead of realizing that it probably won't work.

I don't really care whether they get in the Canucks' way this year. So long as they aren't a long-term threat to contend, I'm fine to see them continue to be a bubble team.

If they stay in no man's land you'll likely be right, mediocrity is death in this league. Better to be closer to the bottom than just miss out imo.

I don't see it happening though, you don't have to be a genius to see that teams needs help in net and on D. But they might have to move a more expensive forward and grease some trade wheels to move players out. What they're doing now isn't how you maximize the McDavid window.

Edited by Coconuts

6 hours ago, Coconuts said:

If they stay in no man's land you'll likely be right, mediocrity is death in this league. Better to be closer to the bottom than just miss out imo.

I don't see it happening though, you don't have to be a genius to see that teams needs help in net and on D. But they might have to move a more expensive forward and grease some trade wheels to move players out. What they're doing now isn't how you maximize the McDavid window.

Well it's a good thing the Oilers don't have any of those working in their front office.

If I'm being serious, I do actually think the upper management group is the big thing that's really holding their organization back. From Bob Nicholson down, there really doesn't seem to be any accountability. Tippett publicly throws Koskinen under the bus, Holland says the solution is in the locker room, McDavid more or less says they don't know what the answers are. IMO their dysfunction goes well beyond not having the right players at this point.

Edited by Brad Marchand
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Brad Marchand said:

Well it's a good thing the Oilers don't have any of those working in their front office.

If I'm being serious, I do actually think upper management group is the big thing that's really holding their organization back. From Bob Nicholson down, there really doesn't seem to be any accountability. Tippett publically throws Koskinen under the bus, Holland says the solution is in the locker room, McDavid more or less says they don't know what the answers are. IMO their dysfunction goes well beyond not having the right players at this point.

You're not even dunking on the Oil at this point, I agree that it's likely at least partially a management/culture issue at this point

I think you've hit the nail on the head 

11 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

You're not even dunking on the Oil at this point, I agree that it's likely at least partially a management/culture issue at this point

I think you've hit the nail on the head 

It's honestly a travesty to the sport in a certain sense. The Penguins, Hawks and Lightning managed to build perennial Cup contenders around their superstars by the time they were around the same age McDavid and Draisaitl are now. Meanwhile, the Oilers are wasting their superstars' primes and the only reason I find it funny is because they're the Oilers.

Edited by Brad Marchand