The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The dumpster fire that is the Edmonton Oilers

Rate this topic

7 minutes ago, gurn said:

This is Conner's 7th season with Edmonton, he has played in 21 play off games.

1st over all pick in how many drafts in a row?

All those other high picks.

It must hurt to b an oiler fan right now.

Four more games than Pettersson and only four more points.

Pretty crazy to think.

• Like 1

Edmonton has a nice team on paper. Wouldn't be surprised they bounceback, we are not even to the halfway point of the season. We were looking 10x more miserable 1 month ago, so I dont understand these adrenaline posts. On a side note, Gaudette must be the most hated person in the NHL. Green wouldn't give him more then 13 minutes of ice time. Goes to Chicago, gets benched without a chance. Goes to Ottawa, plays like 8 minutes first game, gets bench for like a month. Funny $&!#. 

12 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The only way the Oilers can fix their mess is to trade Draisaitl.  Unless they do that they won't have the cap space to get an NHL goaltender and some NHL defencemen.

if they want to win with McJesus they will need to trade his sidekick.  Draisaitl would be a franchise centre on another team.  Not sure who the trade partner could be.  The problem though is that nobody is gonna want to give up their starting goalie, especially a very good one, plus a stud Dman.  Detroit has some young players but I think they will stay the course.  NY Rangers are an option but I don't think they will trade Shesterkin.  

My guess is they will go hard after a UFA in the summer.  Jack Campbell, Darcy Kuemper and Marc Andre Fleury are all available.  If I was Edmonton I would go all in on Campbell and try and clear cap space for him.

This is what my Oilers-loving buddy says too, but is not kind of the opposite of what Pittsburgh did? They kept both Sid and Gino and found cost-effective ways to fill out their lines. The Oilers currently have about $13 million flanking McDrai snd that’s set to increase with new contracts needed for Pulj and Yamo this offseason. Pulj will probably get a considerable contract, maybe in the neighbourhood of $5M AAV while Yamo should come cheaper (then again, he’s probably not a long term solution in their top six). They can’t win with $15-20M spent on wingers for McDrai. 

They need to lose the Keith and Koskinen cap hits. Koskinen was a great parting gift from Chia and paying assets to take on the full cap hit of Duncan Keith’s shadow was just an astoundingly dumb move by Holland. With those cap hits off the books (as well as some others like Kass) and one of Hyman or Nuge traded I think they could actually ice a pretty deep, competitive roster. The $21M they have tied up for the ~300 points they get from Connor and Leon seems pretty fair to me. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Edmonton has a nice team on paper. Wouldn't be surprised they bounceback, we are not even to the halfway point of the season. We were looking 10x more miserable 1 month ago, so I dont understand these adrenaline posts. On a side note, Gaudette must be the most hated person in the NHL. Green wouldn't give him more then 13 minutes of ice time. Goes to Chicago, gets benched without a chance. Goes to Ottawa, plays like 8 minutes first game, gets bench for like a month. Funny $&!#. 

Fly paper maybe. They have more difficult to solve roster issues than we do. 

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

Fly paper maybe. They have more difficult to solve roster issues than we do. 

Oilers more like toilet paper. First three or four sheets are clean, the rest of the roll is soiled and useless. 

• Vintage 1

50 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

This is what my Oilers-loving buddy says too, but is not kind of the opposite of what Pittsburgh did? They kept both Sid and Gino and found cost-effective ways to fill out their lines. The Oilers currently have about $13 million flanking McDrai snd that’s set to increase with new contracts needed for Pulj and Yamo this offseason. Pulj will probably get a considerable contract, maybe in the neighbourhood of $5M AAV while Yamo should come cheaper (then again, he’s probably not a long term solution in their top six). They can’t win with $15-20M spent on wingers for McDrai. 

They need to lose the Keith and Koskinen cap hits. Koskinen was a great parting gift from Chia and paying assets to take on the full cap hit of Duncan Keith’s shadow was just an astoundingly dumb move by Holland. With those cap hits off the books (as well as some others like Kass) and one of Hyman or Nuge traded I think they could actually ice a pretty deep, competitive roster. The $21M they have tied up for the ~300 points they get from Connor and Leon seems pretty fair to me. 

they have just over 5 mil in cap space for next season. They can either get a goalie, maybe, or sign JP to that kind of a deal, but not both. And still have a number of RFA roster spots to fill. 3.4 mil in dead cap space, over paying for Nurse, and trading for Punkin Keith has ensured that they can only make lateral, minor moves unless they want to lose a quality player. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, JM_ said:

they have just over 5 mil in cap space for next season. They can either get a goalie, maybe, or sign JP to that kind of a deal, but not both. And still have a number of RFA roster spots to fill. 3.4 mil in dead cap space, over paying for Nurse, and trading for Punkin Keith has ensured that they can only make lateral, minor moves unless they want to lose a quality player. 

Excellent - Mr Burns voice 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Excellent - Mr Burns voice 

sadly the year after next they have 24 mil in cap space. But only 9 roster players under contract then too.

If Holland keeps overpaying for guys thats going to get eaten up real fast. 

Edited by JM_

28 minutes ago, JM_ said:

sadly the year after next they have 24 mil in cap space. But only 9 roster players under contract then too.

If Holland keeps overpaying for guys thats going to get eaten up real fast. 

Isn’t draisatl due for a new contract at that point? They’re going to lose one of the best value contracts in the league without even winning a playoff series. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sean Monahan said:

Isn’t draisatl due for a new contract at that point? They’re going to lose one of the best value contracts in the league without even winning a playoff series. 

the year after I think. it seems like a lot of money until you look at who's left and not having a real goalie. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

Yeah Keith and Koskinen are killers for them. RNH at 5M isn't bad but Hyman's AAV is prob an overpayment.

I think Puljujarvi would be a decent complimentary player to Pettersson, but not at 5M.

8 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Yeah Keith and Koskinen are killers for them. RNH at 5M isn't bad but Hyman's AAV is prob an overpayment.

I think Puljujarvi would be a decent complimentary player to Pettersson, but not at 5M.

I don’t think there’s much wrong with either contract (other than being a little long, but that’s the nature of the beast), I just don’t think you should carry both. If I remember correctly, the Pens paid Kunitz and then they paid Guentzel. They didn’t pay both at the same time and the other 3 winger spots in the top six were relatively cheap fillers. Hell, they’ve got Evan Rodriguez looking like an all star there right now. Going cheap in the top 6 allowed them the cap freedom to form the HBK line as their third line. They could do this because Sid and Gino could elevate their linemates far beyond what was commensurate with their pay. I would say Connor and Leon haven’t really done that yet, and Tip really seems to like playing them together. 

Edited by Sean Monahan

13 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Edmonton has a nice team on paper. Wouldn't be surprised they bounceback, we are not even to the halfway point of the season. We were looking 10x more miserable 1 month ago, so I dont understand these adrenaline posts. 

Name one blueliner not named Keith or Nurse who can play defence on their team.  Now name one of their goalies who would be an upgrade over David Ayres. Their team other than McDiver and Draisitl is trash both on paper and on the ice.

If they're smart they'll dangle Poolparty for a D and pony up assets to Arizona to move out Keith once the season is over 

Considering Poolparty wanted out at one point, they need D and goaltending in the worst way, and that they probably can't afford to pay a fifth forward 4-5M+ he seems like the guy to move 

If they really want to compete they're gonna have to buy their way out of this mess by moving assets out and paying to move a bad contract or two 

• Upvote 1

I'd trade McDavid. 

Saves $4 million vs. Drais. 

You'll get a massive haul from whomever picks him up. 

Get a great goalie, defenceman and/or centre. And hopefully draft picks. 

Only catch is. 

That's a heck of a lot of salary. Some teams like the Rangers could do it. 

The Vancouver fan in me says. "No really Edmonton, you're just in a rough patch...everything will be fine!"  

• Vintage 1

On 1/16/2022 at 12:06 PM, grumpyone said:

yeah like get real, who has room for 12.5 mill per year for a playoff disappearance act?

In fairness to McDavid, you have to actually make the playoffs before you can disappear in them.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'd trade McDavid. 

Only catch is. 

The Vancouver fan in me says. "No really Edmonton, you're just in a rough patch...everything will be fine!"  

The Coilers would likely get a Lindros level return for McDavid too.  And that worked out pretty good for the Nordiques/Avs.  

On 1/16/2022 at 12:04 PM, MikeBossy said:

I have to say it's times like right now when I love being a Canucks fan in Alberta. The chirping I put up with at the start of the season has become an enjoyable silence as Oiler fans realize that once again they likely have wasted another year of McDavid and Draisaitl in futility here in Coilerville. The Stanley Cup parade planning committee has become the "Run Koskkinen out of town" committee and soon EPS will be starting patrol along the bridges to make sure fans don't jump into the river. :emot-parrot:

Loved watching the Sens comeback and McDavids pouty press conference. That team has a leadership issue and bringing in Kane won't help and I am loving it. Yes Petey is having an off season but the Canucks are trying to stay competitive whereas the Coilers have a 3 to 4 year window to win with McDavid and Leon and so many holes to fill. Skinner isn't their goalie in waiting, Bouchard isn't the defensive d man they need and even Hyman can't score. 

And their inbred cousins down the road the Flames - another wonderful team to watch implode :D

Are you a Canuck fan in Edmonton too? I feel alone out here, usually just resort to saying: "well at least there is one thing we can all agree on, the Flames suck" when I'm talking to Edmontonians.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'd trade McDavid. 

Only catch is. 

The issue with McDavid is who could afford to bring him in without absolutely gutting what they've built? There may be a few teams out there, but at what cost? 

I'd be fascinated to see it happen, it'd be a seismic move, but I have a hard time seeing how a team could bring him in without gutting what they've built because the cost on top of the cap would be astronomical.