The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The dumpster fire that is the Edmonton Oilers

Rate this topic

MikeBossy

17 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

Are you a Canuck fan in Edmonton too? I feel alone out here, usually just resort to saying: "well at least there is one thing we can all agree on, the Flames suck" when I'm talking to Edmontonians.

Depends on your circle of friends. If they are older guys with steady jobs and a family to feed they are diplomatic. The most obnoxious guys I met so far are Toronto and Montreal fans for some reason. 

• Cheers 1

It's pretty simple, an NHL team without half decent goaltending and defensive depth will struggle. Oilers had a historic powerplay and obviously rely on McDavid and Draisaitl for the majority of their offensive output....but when you lack scoring depth, defensive depth and a decent goalie this is what you get. If those two aren't hot, and their PP isn't' scoring at 30%+ they are vulnerable. If guys like Puljujarvi, Yamamto and Hyman wake up then watch out. Nurse has had a down year too so that hurts, they need to acquire a goalie ASAP.

2 hours ago, CJ44 said:

It's pretty simple, an NHL team without half decent goaltending and defensive depth will struggle. Oilers had a historic powerplay and obviously rely on McDavid and Draisaitl for the majority of their offensive output....but when you lack scoring depth, defensive depth and a decent goalie this is what you get. If those two aren't hot, and their PP isn't' scoring at 30%+ they are vulnerable. If guys like Puljujarvi, Yamamto and Hyman wake up then watch out. Nurse has had a down year too so that hurts, they need to acquire a goalie ASAP.

I'd consider trading them Halak for a couple of higher picks. No bueno EDM? Fine, enjoy Koskinen and Smith.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I'd consider trading them Halak for a couple of higher picks. No bueno EDM? Fine, enjoy Koskinen and Smith.

Halak probably says no to waiving his no movement clause

8 hours ago, JM_ said:

Apparently the Oilers play on a quantum level. There but not really there. 

I get what he’s saying, and I think most people who watch them would agree. Players are in the lane but not actually committed to blocking a shot, they’re standing there simply because they know they’re supposed to. 

Kinda sounds like players not buying in, no? Or in other words- a coach who’s lost the room. 

They really need some solid defensive defencemen (Larsson a big loss), some gritty bottom-6 forwards and a good goalie (probably in reverse order there). Either that or a massive coaching re-structure the way the Canucks did. Our defencemen are pretty thin but Boudreau has them playing a system which works for them.

Question is, how do they get a star goalie? Would anyone here do Draisaitl for Demko straight up? To be honest I wouldn't, a good goalie > good skater any day. As crazy as it sounds, I wouldn't even do McDavid for Demko straight up. Look at the impact Demko has on the Canucks team compared to McDavid. Even on a good day, McDavid scores or contributes 2 goals a game. How many expected goals against does Demko save a night? Looked like about 3-4 against the Capitals alone.

If I were the Oilers I'd start buying in a big way - throw some picks and prospects away for a young star goalie somewhere in the league and at the TDL bulk up with some veteran wingers for the 3rd line.

14 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Yeah I'm not sure Halak's value is high picks at this point in his career, he would be an upgrade over Koskinen I think but the return on Halak I feel would be a mid round pick or close to. 

9 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

I get what he’s saying, and I think most people who watch them would agree. Players are in the lane but not actually committed to blocking a shot, they’re standing there simply because they know they’re supposed to. 

Kinda sounds like players not buying in, no? Or in other words- a coach who’s lost the room. 

the entire team is built around McDavid doing things. They bring in players, "for him." The whole thing is built poorly. Add to that he's not really a team leader, he has never rallied them to anything significant. 

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, MattJVD said:

Are you a Canuck fan in Edmonton too? I feel alone out here, usually just resort to saying: "well at least there is one thing we can all agree on, the Flames suck" when I'm talking to Edmontonians.

Sure am - glad I am not alone :)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, JM_ said:

the entire team is built around McDavid doing things. They bring in players, "for him." The whole thing is built poorly. Add to that he's not really a team leader, he has never rallied them to anything significant. 

It's funny that everything I read about the Coilers here every day in Albertabama talks about accountability of the players and the mindset. Explain to me how bringing in Kane helps any of that lol.

• Haha 1