The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The dumpster fire that is the Edmonton Oilers

Rate this topic

MikeBossy

Just now, Sean Monahan said:

Like Matheson setting up an organizational depth guy to get his face caved in by the game’s top heavyweight by spreading lies for his own entertainment?

Would have been a better response than the utterly classless one be gave.  Draisitl is a gutless piece of trash on and off the ice.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Would have been a better response than the utterly classless one be gave.  Draisitl is a gutless piece of trash on and off the ice.

Vehemently disagree. Matheson is a loser and undeserving of his media pass. He was trying to goad Drai into throwing a teammate under the bus and Drai refused- would Drai have shown better leadership by saying the 22 year old rookie Skinner cost them the game?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Vehemently disagree. Matheson is a loser and undeserving of his media pass. He was trying to goad Drai into throwing a teammate under the bus and Drai refused- would Drai have shown better leadership by saying the 22 year old rookie Skinner cost them the game?

"No comment" is a perfectly acceptable response.  There were multiple options available to Draisitl.

17 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

"No comment" is a perfectly acceptable response.  There were multiple options available to Draisitl.

No comment isn’t exactly a ringing endorsement of his teammates. He made the appropriate response. 

You’ve been quick to criticize Vancouver media (and rightfully so in many instances) but here you are carrying water for this loser- a far bigger scumbag than any media members in our own market. 

• Cheers 1

No comment isn’t exactly a ringing endorsement of his teammates. He made the appropriate response. 

You’ve been quick to criticize Vancouver media (and rightfully so in many instances) but here you are carrying water for this loser- a far bigger scumbag than any media members in our own market. 

Never said I was a fan of the reporter.  Neither guy looks good here, but they response was nowhere close to appropriate and shows just how classless Draisitl is.  Perfect fit for the Oilers.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Never said I was a fan of the reporter.  Neither guy looks good here, but they response was nowhere close to appropriate and shows just how classless Draisitl is.  Perfect fit for the Oilers.

Would you be saying the same thing if it were a Canuck? 

I have absolutely zero issue with Draisatl’s response. I think he could’ve gone even further and still wouldn’t have been out of line. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Would you be saying the same thing if it were a Canuck? 

I have absolutely zero issue with Draisatl’s response. I think he could’ve gone even further and still wouldn’t have been out of line. 

I would, especially since his lack of backchecking is simply not acceptable for a guy who's supposed to be in a leadership position.

On 1/17/2022 at 1:28 PM, Coconuts said:

The issue with McDavid is who could afford to bring him in without absolutely gutting what they've built? There may be a few teams out there, but at what cost? 

I'd be fascinated to see it happen, it'd be a seismic move, but I have a hard time seeing how a team could bring him in without gutting what they've built because the cost on top of the cap would be astronomical. 

Maybe the Yotes? They’ve stockpiled plenty of picks, and they have the cap space. I could see McJeebus and Matthews in the desert generating a huge amount of buzz. Something similar to when Gretzky went to LA. 

7 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

Maybe the Yotes? They’ve stockpiled plenty of picks, and they have the cap space. I could see McJeebus and Matthews in the desert generating a huge amount of buzz. Something similar to when Gretzky went to LA. 

my opinion:

it'll cost at a minimum-- 2 1st's( not lottery protected) plus Ed retaining 50%

1 hour ago, grumpyone said:

my opinion:

it'll cost at a minimum-- 2 1st's( not lottery protected) plus Ed retaining 50%

The best player in the league in his prime locked up for 4 more years? Its going to take a lot more than that.

You know, all that talk about them trading for Carey Price. I would SOOO love to see that happen.

If you look at Price's numbers for the last few years, they aren't that good, except last season in the playoffs when Montreal's defense was really solid in front of him.

Because of it's structure, it would be really hard to buy this contract out, Edmonton could easily wind up with a 10.5 million boat anchor for another 4 years, while hobbling themselves by giving up other assets to get him. It would almost certainly require Edmonton to give up at least their first round pick this summer or next.

Even if Montreal retains 50% of his contract, it's still a huge gamble. They are about to get Koskinen off their books at the end of this year, and based on current buyout's retained salary and total dead space, they will only have about 5.1 million available (assuming a 1 million increase in the cap), with 15 contracts signed.

Price hasn't played since last season, at 34 years old, with the injuries he's had in the last few years, there is zero guarantee that he will be able to return to his form from 5 years ago.

Below are his numbers for the last few years, what do you think?

2017-18 Montreal CanadiensMontreal Canadiens NHL   49 3.11 0.900 |        
2018-19 Montreal CanadiensMontreal Canadiens NHL   66 2.49 0.918 |        
2019-20 Montreal CanadiensMontreal Canadiens NHL   58 2.79 0.909 | PLAYOFFS 10 1.78 0.936
2020-21 Montreal CanadiensMontreal Canadiens NHL   25 2.64 0.901 | PLAYOFFS 22 2.27 0.924
  Laval Rocket AHL   1 3.03 0.867 |  

10 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

They do, but given how they've gone scorched earth they wouldn't have much in the way of NHL talent to surround him with 

McDavid's got four years left on his deal after this season, I don't think Arizona would be able to turn themselves around fast enough to convince him to stay, and if you're not winning it all or finding a way to re-sign him it's a net loss 

Seems like every Canadian market has at least one media member who thinks they are bigger than the game they are supposed to cover. We have Matt Sekeres here, Simmons in Toronto. JM in Edmonton sounds like another piece of work. Very curious to know what does it take for media members to have their pass revoked. When was the last Canadian market to blacklist a media member? It’s no surprise that many Canadian players have NTC to Canadian teams because who wants to sit in front of the mic and answer dumb loaded questions? When they can get paid the same and win in markets that don’t have the same media scrutiny that the Canadian markets do.

Not saying the media in this country is the reason why there hasn’t been a cup winner in almost 30 years but it sure doesn’t help the cause. 

B76EF1CE-367C-4E66-9C39-769E9B535EEF.jpeg

• Haha 1