to nyr:

pettersson

rathbone

mid-round pick if necessary

to van:

kakko

chytil

schneider

rangers get their long term swedish 1-2 punch down the middle and rathbone slides seamlessly into their d to complement fox.

canucks get size, speed and skill to round out their forward group, a future stud right side defenceman (hopefully), and the cap space to build around miller and horvat down the middle long term. 

kakko-miller-boeser

podkolzin-horvat-garland

that's a sturdy top 6. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, tas said:

I'm bored, so why not.

to nyr:

pettersson

rathbone

mid-round pick if necessary

to van:

kakko

chytil

schneider

rangers get their long term swedish 1-2 punch down the middle and rathbone slides seamlessly into their d to complement fox.

canucks get size, speed and skill to round out their forward group, a future stud right side defenceman (hopefully), and the cap space to build around miller and horvat down the middle long term. 

kakko-miller-boeser

podkolzin-horvat-garland

that's a sturdy top 6. 

rangers block JR’s number 

• Huggy Bear 1

12 minutes ago, tas said:

look at the forum you're in and take a breath. 

1. When people see this under the main page under "Recent Topics":

48bc466af267afca2604377b595d8e80.png

Without the tag, there's no way of knowing if this is new breaking news or a just an arm-chair proposal.

2. 9a580187a5f8561c8a5b766491beb93d.png

There's a big banner at the top that says that all threads must contain tags. As a user for over 15 years with over 7000 posts, I don't think there's an excuse to forget these rules. Usually this would be grounds for simply locking a thread, but I decided to be gracious and allow your thread to remain open.

15 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

1. When people see this under the main page under "Recent Topics":

48bc466af267afca2604377b595d8e80.png

Without the tag, there's no way of knowing if this is new breaking news or a just an arm-chair proposal.

2. 9a580187a5f8561c8a5b766491beb93d.png

There's a big banner at the top that says that all threads must contain tags. As a user for over 15 years with over 7000 posts, I don't think there's an excuse to forget these rules. Usually this would be grounds for simply locking a thread, but I decided to be gracious and allow your thread to remain open.

the first point is valid enough, though as someone who browses exclusively on mobile, I've never noticed that recent topics section. as for the second one, check how many of those 7000 posts are in this forum. if it's 20 I'd be surprised. 

Edited by tas

To me, it seems like we did not learn anything from the previous 3 games

Florida, Tampa, and Carolina all top 10 teams (1, 2 and 4 by winning percentage)

These are the teams we have to beat. To get there, we are a few years away.

Because or depth and because of cap

So, as much as Miller looks good right now, we are 2/3 years away

IMO, Miller is the guy to move. He gets you a solid return.

People panic about Pettersson, but he just scored 2 goals against a top ten team

You seriously do not do that without NHL top end skill.............and Washington is a big team

We need that big RHD and a really good #3 center.......If Miller goes, we need more

But that is my real view

I am not even sure I want to trade Rathbone

But Miller brings the return we need!

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

I just want to add.............

50% of the teams make the playoffs..............to me  only 8 have a ligit chance

So, if our target is just to make the playoffs..............i am not good with that

Sure, it happens that low seeds win the cup........but not often

Usually, its a top 10 team, maybe even a top 6 team...yes LA's happen, but I would never put money on it happening

Never!

And now with looser points, you do not even have to be a real above 50% percent team, to make it, or fool yourself.

I want a machine that always pops out top finishes...................

Until then, I want us building............................

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I just want to add.............

50% of the teams make the playoffs..............to me  only 8 have a ligit chance

So, if our target is just to make the playoffs..............i am not good with that

Sure, it happens that low seeds win the cup........but not often

Usually, its a top 10 team, maybe even a top 6 team...yes LA's happen, but I would never put money on it happening

Never!

And now with looser points, you do not even have to be a real above 50% percent team, to make it, or fool yourself.

I want a machine that always pops out top finishes...................

Until then, I want us building............................

These games also showed us that we could play with these guys as is - sure the results weren't there, but even Cooper said we were the better team in Tampa, and we were at least on par with Florida (who's making mincemeat out of the rest of the league like now).    

Miller is holding the fort while we wait for Petterson really.   I think it's going to take some miraculous trading and drafting at this point to finish things up with this core.   And have been pragmatic/realistic the entire process with JB, this will take a long time to get us back into contender status - not just from our own historical great teams (Lindens is still the greatest, and best built, it won the most series/games when it mattered and was built for the playoffs,  so many guys stepped up and produced more then their regular season averages) , but other teams too - that were top teams or won a cup, and after that's done the cost is usually high, with Linden we ripped that team apart before it peaked...sad but true...but it gave us the next two cores...

Right now we are in serious trouble, no prospects left (marquee ones) and a team that as is might be 12-16 without that crap start (don't think EP and BB are nearly as bad/average as they were).     Taking the next step is going to be tricky. 

Trading Miller is good asset management, if we are out of the playoffs.    This team needs another shot just to see where they are at, plus it just would be a massive slap to the face to the rest of the team losing him if we are still in a reasonable distance at the TDL.

If not and then wheels fall off .... yes i'd say pull the plug and get the best possible deal we can - and it will be a doozie.   Especially if a contender C's is injured but expected back around the start of the show - they could pull a page out of TB books....

Once that's done we'd have to also make a decision on BB.   If he won't sign a reasonable deal, trade him too.   Might as well start building a team around QHs and Demko's last two years or so, and possibly their legacy deals as well.   Sad but true.    Unless we get some miracle trades like NY got for Zinbanejad, or we did for Lumme (think it was a second rounder - for one of the greatest Ds we've ever had), simply can't see this team contending.    Been saying since JB got here, and this is a cold shower in reality, the earliest this team will likely contend is with parts of two cores, the post Sedin one, and the one coming up behind it.    Each final appearance is further away ... but it's actually paced expansion very evenly.   And almost every great team, ends up having a long stretch now before they even hit the playoffs.    And longer yet to get back to being a contender again.    We've only had three contenders our entire history and only one of them was the boss contender.   I accepted a long time ago that  the late 2020's is likely when we contend again IF things go half decently...could still get there.   

...  have to admit that LA and even St. Louis (nobody considered them a contender going into the season) to degree does provide hope for the fans.   It does for me as well, seen enough hockey to know anything can happen, pre-cap too (93 MTL), but agree it's not the way to build a team.    JB went for it too early, our fanbase is absolutely impatient as a whole ... "8 long years " lol...4 more seasons with the Sedins.   Glad he's gone though, made too many mistakes.   Not sure what Rutherford will do, but can say i'm not going to be unhappy if he decides to trade the guy who we lose every game if he doesn't get on the scoreboard.    We didn't build from the net out.   Well he tried, if OJ was good we'd be much further ahead.   He failed to build from the net out.   Losing Miller is going to rip a huge whole into this lineup - they are playing to keep him since Bruce arrived which takes guts.   To me it's an even trade - losing a top C in this league for a top pairing D is a fair trade.    Not a top four D, a top pairing D.    That's what we'd have to get from this deal - Miller will be fine until his 33/34 - he's as durable as they come.   That's most of his next deal.   The cap space is also important of course and we need cap.   

I see two paths.  One we trade one of  BB or Miller either at the TDL if we are out, or at the draft, another playoff is what i'm hoping for, it will give us more sample size to see how we play in the post season.   That's the less risky path.   It will sting for the team, but if we get a solid D out of it, they'd probably get over it, and a 3rd C like your proposing.   If people think guys like EP are pouting over losing Markstrom, Tanev etc ... well 

The second path is a lot more brutal, but probably is the one we actually need to take to be better then teams like COL and Vegas, TB etc.    We trade Brock Boeser,  Miller and Horvat at the TDL.   That's how a team tanks.   That's what OTT did.   But they screwed the pooch on Zinbanejad, really completely did.   EK they did fine with.   Hoffman they did fine with.   Stone... well let's just say they trading away or lost there entire core entering their primes or still in them (EK, sad really how far his game went, that's mostly on Cooke).   

OTT kept Chabot ( QHs).   We'd be looking at 3-4 years of bottom feeding.  Also set an internal cap, so when the team begins it's ascension, it's not filled with expensive players.   

The third option is to just make the playoffs, and hope for that one or two awesome pick to come in and lopsided trade to happen lol.   That's what most teams end up at.   32 teams - takes some serious patience, and incredible picking and some luck.   I'd be ok with either one or two.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

These games also showed us that we could play with these guys as is - sure the results weren't there, but even Cooper said we were the better team in Tampa, and we were at least on par with Florida (who's making mincemeat out of the rest of the league like now).    

Miller is holding the fort while we wait for Petterson really.   I think it's going to take some miraculous trading and drafting at this point to finish things up with this core.   And have been pragmatic/realistic the entire process with JB, this will take a long time to get us back into contender status - not just from our own historical great teams (Lindens is still the greatest, and best built, it won the most series/games when it mattered and was built for the playoffs,  so many guys stepped up and produced more then their regular season averages) , but other teams too - that were top teams or won a cup, and after that's done the cost is usually high, with Linden we ripped that team apart before it peaked...sad but true...but it gave us the next two cores...

Right now we are in serious trouble, no prospects left (marquee ones) and a team that as is might be 12-16 without that crap start (don't think EP and BB are nearly as bad/average as they were).     Taking the next step is going to be tricky. 

Trading Miller is good asset management, if we are out of the playoffs.    This team needs another shot just to see where they are at, plus it just would be a massive slap to the face to the rest of the team losing him if we are still in a reasonable distance at the TDL.

If not and then wheels fall off .... yes i'd say pull the plug and get the best possible deal we can - and it will be a doozie.   Especially if a contender C's is injured but expected back around the start of the show - they could pull a page out of TB books....

Once that's done we'd have to also make a decision on BB.   If he won't sign a reasonable deal, trade him too.   Might as well start building a team around QHs and Demko's last two years or so, and possibly their legacy deals as well.   Sad but true.    Unless we get some miracle trades like NY got for Zinbanejad, or we did for Lumme (think it was a second rounder - for one of the greatest Ds we've ever had), simply can't see this team contending.    Been saying since JB got here, and this is a cold shower in reality, the earliest this team will likely contend is with parts of two cores, the post Sedin one, and the one coming up behind it.    Each final appearance is further away ... but it's actually paced expansion very evenly.   And almost every great team, ends up having a long stretch now before they even hit the playoffs.    And longer yet to get back to being a contender again.    We've only had three contenders our entire history and only one of them was the boss contender.   I accepted a long time ago that  the late 2020's is likely when we contend again IF things go half decently...could still get there.   

...  have to admit that LA and even St. Louis (nobody considered them a contender going into the season) to degree does provide hope for the fans.   It does for me as well, seen enough hockey to know anything can happen, pre-cap too (93 MTL), but agree it's not the way to build a team.    JB went for it too early, our fanbase is absolutely impatient as a whole ... "8 long years " lol...4 more seasons with the Sedins.   Glad he's gone though, made too many mistakes.   Not sure what Rutherford will do, but can say i'm not going to be unhappy if he decides to trade the guy who we lose every game if he doesn't get on the scoreboard.    We didn't build from the net out.   Well he tried, if OJ was good we'd be much further ahead.   He failed to build from the net out.   Losing Miller is going to rip a huge whole into this lineup - they are playing to keep him since Bruce arrived which takes guts.   To me it's an even trade - losing a top C in this league for a top pairing D is a fair trade.    Not a top four D, a top pairing D.    That's what we'd have to get from this deal - Miller will be fine until his 33/34 - he's as durable as they come.   That's most of his next deal.   The cap space is also important of course and we need cap.   

I see two paths.  One we trade one of  BB or Miller either at the TDL if we are out, or at the draft, another playoff is what i'm hoping for, it will give us more sample size to see how we play in the post season.   That's the less risky path.   It will sting for the team, but if we get a solid D out of it, they'd probably get over it, and a 3rd C like your proposing.   If people think guys like EP are pouting over losing Markstrom, Tanev etc ... well 

The second path is a lot more brutal, but probably is the one we actually need to take to be better then teams like COL and Vegas, TB etc.    We trade Brock Boeser,  Miller and Horvat at the TDL.   That's how a team tanks.   That's what OTT did.   But they screwed the pooch on Zinbanejad, really completely did.   EK they did fine with.   Hoffman they did fine with.   Stone... well let's just say they trading away or lost there entire core entering their primes or still in them (EK, sad really how far his game went, that's mostly on Cooke).   

OTT kept Chabot ( QHs).   We'd be looking at 3-4 years of bottom feeding.  Also set an internal cap, so when the team begins it's ascension, it's not filled with expensive players.   

The third option is to just make the playoffs, and hope for that one or two awesome pick to come in and lopsided trade to happen lol.   That's what most teams end up at.   32 teams - takes some serious patience, and incredible picking and some luck.   I'd be ok with either one or two.  

While we make all these rebuilding decisions, there is also the players themselves to think about?

if we trade Miller, Horvat and Brock, is Petey really going to hang around, hoping the next batch will be good enough?

and if he's gone too are Quinn and Demko wanting to hang around long term. 
While we see and compare the teams that have a successful rebuild by tearing it down, there seems to be as many if not more, that keeps going around in rebuild circles... until they eventually get lucky.... or moved. 
I definitely don't have the answers, but I do know, that this fan base don't have the patience to start a new rebuild. It won't be good for another 5 years at least if they tear it down, and thats a big maybe...

Do agree that Miller probably brings in the most and Bo will too....

I am just wondering in anyone would have interest in Garland. Good deal, long term for a point producer? JR want to get bigger, so...?

I know, that its not a deadline move, but his 5M could go a long way?

Or if its at deadline maybe Brock with $ retained until his contract expires...? I like Brock, but we've got to decide, which kind of team we want to be.

Edited by spook007
Spelling - writing on mobile sucks
  • Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, spook007 said:

While we make all these rebuilding decisions, there is also the players themselves to think about?

if we trade Miller, Horvat and Brock, is Petey really going to hang around, hoping the next batch will be good enough?

and if he's gone too are Quinn and Demko wanting to hang around long term. 
While we see and compare the teams that have a successful rebuild by tearing it down, there seems to be as many if not more, that keeps going around in rebuild circles... until they eventually get lucky.... or moved. 
I definitely don't have the answers, but I do know, that this fan base don't have the patience to start a new rebuild. It won't be good for another 5 years at least if they tear it down, and thats a big maybe...

Do agree that Miller probably brings in the most and Bo will too....

I am just wondering in anyone would have interest in Garland. Good deal, long term for a point producer? JR want to get bigger, so...?

I know, that its not a deadline move, but his 5M could go a long way?

Or if its at deadline maybe Brock with $ retained until his contract expires...? I like Brock, but we've got to decide, which kind of team we want to be.

I think that only becomes an issue if the next couple years retooling doesn't bring any success.

Moving a Miller and/or Boeser doesn't signal a rebuild, there's no "tearing down" happening here. The younger core is largely in place. It just needs tweaking, supplementing and complimenting.

And assuming we get something resembling "regular" Petey back next year, plus whatever pieces we get back in trade, plus whatever other moves management makes (sign a Paul/Tierney/Sturm?), this team should still be a bubble playoff team, just as it is now (if we hadn't had an early season bed crapping).

Now, if those moves still = bed crapping and bottom 10'ish finishes, all bets are off in 2-3 years.

• Cheers 1