The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Buy Low Candidates?

Rate this topic

MrCanuck94

Looking at Florida, a huge key success for them has been their ability to buy low on players whether through trades, free agency, waivers or low draft picks that have been able to develop and flourish in their environment.

Verhaege, Reinhart, Bennett, Duclair, Weegar, Forsling and the latest being Juolevi as some examples.

So my question being, who are some candidates that you all see as being potential buy low candidates that can flourish with the Canucks moving forward? Also, is there any players within the system that we should be giving more of an opportunity than they have been given so far?

..it really hurts seeing the best team in the league deploying 2 Canucks drafted defencemen in their top 7 when we're stuck with what we have.

Edited by MrCanuck94

3 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Okay... So you're thread is really cloaked as a griping session on poor asset management?  No offerings of who these buy low candidates are in your eyes?  Okay I'll start... DelColle, Kakko, D.Strome, Thomas... Just spitballin' but more than you offered.  

Posted at the same time and with the same player. Maybe Dylan is in the cards for us...

33 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Okay... So you're thread is really cloaked as a griping session on poor asset management?  No offerings of who these buy low candidates are in your eyes?  Okay I'll start... DelColle, Kakko, D.Strome, Thomas... Just spitballin' but more than you offered.  

No.. looking at a successful technique another team utilized and creating conversation about what are possible methods we can take to replicate that process.

Sorry thread police.

14 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

fly did not buy low on Reinhart

13 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

If not by low undervalued based on Reinhardts situation as he is a quality hockey player

Yea sorry just felt like if Reinhart wasn't in Buffalo he would've been worth more at the time of signing. Got a first liner for 6.5 which is good value.

5 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

No.. looking at a successful technique another team utilized and creating conversation about what are possible methods we can take to replicate that process.

Sorry thread police.

Lol! 'Thread police' that's funny!  My point... What are your suggestions?

12 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Sorry thread police.

Well, technically we did do that with guys like Motte, Miller, Garland, OEL, ... Even on a lower level guys like Dickenson, Granlund, Baer (pre head injury). But I'm happy to add more, sure.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

45 minutes ago, AriGold said:

Posted at the same time and with the same player. Maybe Dylan is in the cards for us...

Probably too slow.  Rutherford in his opening presser said he wanted them to play quicker and noted that they were not a fast team with a lot of fast skaters which is his preference.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Probably too slow.  Rutherford in his opening presser said he wanted them to play quicker and noted that they were not a fast team with a lot of fast skaters which is his preference.

Chytil is a good skater ::D

26 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

I'm down with that... Maybe Dobson for Boeser.

NYI are looking to add mobility on D and Dobson is getting high praise from Trotz - so him being available feels extremely unlikely.

Don't see many teams looking to trade for Boeser with a 7.5M qualifying offer.  Just too much risk that he signs it and he's not worth that money.